• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

B For Bendetta said:
To tell you the truth, I have somehow never had a Sierra Nevada Beer. Recommendations?

Their Pale Ale is what made them famous, however all their beer's are pretty solid. Their Autumn Tumbler is probably one of my favorite fall seasonals and Torpedo is a damn good IPA. Kellerweisse is decent, but I think there are better wheats out there and Bigfoot Barleywine is a pretty tame, but very drinkable for the style. Pretty much decide which kind of beer you want and grab SN's offering, they are all of a pretty consistent quality and I don't think you will be disappointed with any choice.

sharkmuncher said:
Their Pale Ale is what made them famous, however all their beer's are pretty solid. Their Autumn Tumbler is probably one of my favorite fall seasonals and Torpedo is a damn good IPA. Kellerweisse is decent, but I think there are better wheats out there and Bigfoot Barleywine is a pretty tame, but very drinkable for the style. Pretty much decide which kind of beer you want and grab SN's offering, they are all of a pretty consistent quality and I don't think you will be disappointed with any choice.

I think Barleywines all taste the same anyway, and I've discovered Franziskaner and New Belgium's Mothership so I try no to waste my time with subpar wheats. Maybe I'll pick up Autumn Tumbler or Torpedo next time I'm out

thespot84

sharkmuncher said:
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/sharkmuncher/CIMG0028.jpg

Great Divide is apparently pulling out of NE at the end of the year so I need to enjoy while I still can. What I have here is their Yeti Oak Aged Imperial Stout. This is in my opinion one of the best stouts out there. Milkshake think with nice oaky undertones. mmmmm soooooo good. I am so sad they are leaving...

Is it a bitch to ship alcohol?

thespot84

distantmantra said:
It's illegal unless you're a distributor, and then you still have follow individual state law.

well no great divide for sharkmuncher then. I live a few blocks from the brewery. Sorry brah.

S. L.

img_36979f6k.jpg

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Triz

B For Bendetta said:
Wow you have way better mix a six options than I do. We basically have the larger craft brewers, the local craft brewers, and some German and Belgian options. Pretty Jealous.

To tell you the truth, I have somehow never had a Sierra Nevada Beer. Recommendations?

Being local to Sierra Nevada (bout an hour away) I have some input. If you can find some of their bombers (24 oz) they are a little better than thier 6 pack offerings. The Northern Hemisphere wet hop ale was just released and its damn good for the price (about 4 bucks a bottle)

Triz

distantmantra said:
It's illegal unless you're a distributor, and then you still have follow individual state law.

shennaningans. Ive traded beer with plenty of people across the states and the post office never said anything to me when they were helping pack it :lol

edit: i see thats its not exactly legal, just pack it up before you get there.

Triz said:
shennaningans. Ive traded beer with plenty of people across the states and the post office never said anything to me when they were helping pack it :lol

edit: i see thats its not exactly legal, just pack it up before you get there.

If the post office catches you, they have every right to prosecute you. Just be careful.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
modernkicks said:
staying in tonight drinking the high life because i'm fucking broke

:)

for bottom-tier beer, I choose the high life but it has this mild poo poo taste that lingers in my mouth for awhile

plus, it leads to some unpleasant movements of the bowels the mornings after

I've drank plenty of that stuff, though, it was the popular beer to get when I was underage at parties and shit. As much as I enjoy quality beer the cheap stuff is 90% of what I've drank since I got started.

CyddV

This is my haul from last night; It's going to be a great weekend. I NEED to track down the Sierra Nevada 30th Annv. Bourbon Barrel Aged Grand Cru. Anyone know of LA/OC area bars serving it?

161artv.jpg

Saw Pains of Being Pure at Heart last night here in Seattle. Went to Latona Pub (place where those pictures come from) for dinner befoehand and had the Sierra Nevada Grand Cru. Went to a bar before the show (all-ages venue) and had a Ninkasi IPA and a Maritime IPA.

Gav

Bit of a haul when i was out and about today. Beer from all over the place. Estonia, Belgium, Russia, and plenty more.
Excited to get stuck in!

VCFHp.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really want to try the Great Divide Brewing Co. Imperial Stout, but it's like $11 for the bottle at the only store I've seen it at. I might cave in one of these days.

Anybody like Red Line?
I'm kind of new to the whole beer scene, and it's one of my first drinks and I enjoy it.

What does BEER-GAF think?

forrest

formerly nacire
B For Bendetta said:
According to the Schlafly wiki page, they distribute to Missouri (duh), Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Western Mississippi, North Virgina, and Washington, DC. If you live in one of these states you should definitely find Coffee Stout, and, if still available their Pumpkin (A - on Beer Advocate, and I personally think it is better than Pumking).

One of my best friends is a Schlafly sale rep and I whole heartily agree with this statement. I prefer it to Dogfish Head's Pumpkin as well. Oh and O'Fallons too! The trick at this point will be finding it. I helped my friend pour at the Louisville Zoo's Brew at the Zoo event and we had the Pumpkin Keg scheduled for an 8pm tapping. I shit you not, at 10 til we had a line of chanting people so huge we blew the 6 barrel in less than 10 minutes!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nacire said:
One of my best friends is a Schlafly sale rep and I whole heartily agree with this statement. I prefer it to Dogfish Head's Pumpkin as well. Oh and O'Fallons too! The trick at this point will be finding it. I helped my friend pour at the Louisville Zoo's Brew at the Zoo event and we had the Pumpkin Keg scheduled for an 8pm tapping. I shit you not, at 10 til we had a line of chanting people so huge we blew the 6 barrel in less than 10 minutes!

I have to agree about Dogfish Head's pumpkin ale. I managed to get a 4-pack of it in early October and it was great. Dogfish Head is really an awesome brewery. Too bad I haven't been able to find their pumpkin ale since!

Heading to Latona Pub tonight for a pre-Veteran's Day dinner with some friends. Not sure which beer to try...

Zefah said:
I have to agree about Dogfish Head's pumpkin ale. I managed to get a 4-pack of it in early October and it was great. Dogfish Head is really an awesome brewery. Too bad I haven't been able to find their pumpkin ale since!

Pumpkin beer season is officially over.

Struct09

distantmantra said:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs898.snc4/73189_10150115808638712_136444978711_7727960_2453153_n.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Is this from Latona Pub in Seattle? I live within walking distance of that place.

EDIT: Reading above, looks like it is. Small world :P

On vacation in Poland now (can't take 10 steps without walking into an alcohol store), just came back from a place called Swiat Piwa, meaning World of Beer. Bought myself a 750 ml Chimay Cinq Cent, looking forward to sharing it with my family here. I've tried the other two common ones (Red and Blue), but I hear this is a lot of people's favourite.

nacire said:

O'Fallon name dropping! Are you from St. Louis? Most people don't know who O'Fallon is. 5
Day IPA is such a good beer, and Gold and Wheach are really smooth sessioners (Canning wheach was especially useful for the pool and tailgating).

joelseph

12-13% yes.

My girl is big into the stuff so I went down to Binny's to scare up a 4pack. It is not stocked on the shelves and is limit one per customer. Total came to 26 dollars.

The Vanilla got pushed back to the first week of December and the waiting list is filling up fast. Rare is well, even rarer!

Poured into a Snifter, very very black but not as thick I was expecting. The smells are almost overwhelming, dominated by bourbon and roasted malts.

Little head with a brown layer underneath, the sweetness and overall smoothness is very surprising.

Definitely a sipping beer, I couldn't finish more than one bottle. Would pair well with cigars or other smoke.

Recommended.

Bourbon County Stout is absolutely amazing. I've got one bottle of 2009 left and thought about picking up some of the newly arrived 2010 today. Brought home some Old Rasputin instead, as it's delicious and just over half the price. I'll be enjoying that after I get home.

2ltfxhe.jpg

Deschutes Hop Trip (Fresh Hop Pale Ale). Ninkasi Believer Double Red Ale. Ninkasi Dark Double Ale. Full Sail Wreck the Halls Winter Ale. Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. Rogue John John Ale (think Junipe Pale Ale, but on crack).

The Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is easily the best session beer I've ever had. Available now!

I'm also on a stout kick, with Founders Breakfast Stout earning a very warm place in my heart.

Mango Positive said:
The Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is easily the best session beer I've ever had. Available now!.

My sixpack of this is rapidly disappearing. Sooo good. I'd never had a fresh hopped beer before, but it's damn tasty and really reasonably priced. Need to pick up more.

DJ_Lae

Tried out some Bowen Island Brewery stuff - right now I'm on the IPA. No fancy names or anything.

It's okay. I mean, I tried it because it sells for three bucks less a six pack than anything else (even the cheap-ass macrobrew), and for that price I can't really complain.

But for four bucks more I can get some Okanagan Springs Porter, which is well worth the increase in price.

Picked up some of this for tonight (not my picture :()

racer5ipa.jpg

Super good. It really nails the citrusy/hoppy balance that I enjoy without going too over-the-top. Maintains a bit of mouth-punch while also staying smooth.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
The Whole Foods near my house in Seattle has Great Divide's Fresh Hop. It has apparently made it out to the Great Northwest.

I've seen those at the Central Market in Shoreline. I've heard great things about Great Divide's beers. I really want to try their Imperial Stout, too. Too bad they cost around $10 or so per bottle. I'll definitely to pick one or two up sometime, though.

gcubed

sharkmuncher said:
Beer GAF, my knowledge of sour beers is quite lacking. Any good suggestions for me to pick up tonight after work?

Rodenbach Grand Cru

no idea where to get it locally though... belgian bars around me have it but havent really noticed it available in local stores.

There are a few kinds of sour beers. Lambics are still considered "sour" but are often mixed with fruit and highly carbonated... you can usually find them from Lindeman's (Peche - peach, casis, framboise - black cherry). Grand Cru is a Flanders Red, which is different from the lambic's as its the main base beer soured without fruit additions (and a different yeast, but blah blah)

GordonGecko

Neo Member
sharkmuncher said:
Beer GAF, my knowledge of sour beers is quite lacking. Any good suggestions for me to pick up tonight after work?
Cuvee Rene or Cantillon Classic Geuze. Can't go wrong with either.

The Cuvee should be cheaper than the Cantillon if that matters.

gcubed said:
Rodenbach Grand Cru

no idea where to get it locally though... belgian bars around me have it but havent really noticed it available in local stores.

There are a few kinds of sour beers. Lambics are still considered "sour" but are often mixed with fruit and highly carbonated... you can usually find them from Lindeman's (Peche - peach, casis, framboise - black cherry). Grand Cru is a Flanders Red, which is different from the lambic's as its the main base beer soured without fruit additions (and a different yeast, but blah blah)

I'll give it a go. And I should have specified, I was looking for a sour along the lines of Old Brun or Flanders Red. Mostly, one to get a good idea of the lactcobaccilus characteristics and one to get some Brettanomyces characteristics.

gcubed

sharkmuncher said:
I'll give it a go. And I should have specified, I was looking for a sour along the lines of Old Brun or Flanders Red. Mostly, one to get a good idea of the lactcobaccilus characteristics and one to get some Brettanomyces characteristics.

well there you go, a geuze as suggested above should get you a good lambic blend idea, and a grand cru (rodenbach is probably the easiest to find) would get you a good Brett idea. I actually have a drunken idea turned reality sitting in the basement right now that is going wild with Brett B

Spy said:
The only beer I'm actually a fan of is Blue Moon. Where do I go from here, Beer GAF?

if you want different examples of that type of beer be on the lookout for witbier's. If your state allows you to get singles or make your own you can go to a better beer store and grab a few different kinds, a lot of microbreweries make witbiers, may be a little harder to find in the winter when most places pump out the more traditional winter beers.

gcubed said:
well there you go, a geuze as suggested above should get you a good lambic blend idea, and a grand cru (rodenbach is probably the easiest to find) would get you a good Brett idea. I actually have a drunken idea turned reality sitting in the basement right now that is going wild with Brett B

What idea would that be? I've been thinking about doing an experimental brett beer for a while but haven't had the guts.

gcubed said:
Spy said:
The only beer I'm actually a fan of is Blue Moon. Where do I go from here, Beer GAF?
if you want different examples of that type of beer be on the lookout for witbier's. If your state allows you to get singles or make your own you can go to a better beer store and grab a few different kinds, a lot of microbreweries make witbiers, may be a little harder to find in the winter when most places pump out the more traditional winter beers.

I would also give a few American Style Wheats a try. They tend to be pretty mild and similar(depends on the brewery) to Blue Moon. I found New Belgium's Sunshine a good choice for something that is very similar to Blue Moon with a bit more flavor.

HappyBivouac said:
What idea would that be? I've been thinking about doing an experimental brett beer for a while but haven't had the guts.
I'm in the same boat, hence the research on the last page. :lol

Top Bottom