• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Decado

Can any great beers be found in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico?

Corona is fine for breakfast, but otherwise I'd like to have some good stuff on hand.

Leatherface said:
You have exquisite taste my friend. Imperial Pumpkin happens to be one of my favorite beers as well! You will not be disappointed! :D
Meh. No luck. My local beer store had a few Weyerbacher singles but not this one. Maybe it hasn't made it's way here yet. Any idea how large the batch was?

HiResDes

wrTlN.jpg

Just picked up Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I'm also trying out Celebration for the first after seeing so many recommendations :D

HiResDes

Hmmm....I'm kind of on the face about whether I like the Sierra Nevada Celebration Pale Ale, it seems a little too bitter to me...Although I definitely appreciate that their is a complexity of flavors, the bitterness a little much for my preface. I popped open a regular Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to compare and I found its bitterness to better balanced overall...In fact, pretty much perfect.

Leatherface

manofmandango said:
Meh. No luck. My local beer store had a few Weyerbacher singles but not this one. Maybe it hasn't made it's way here yet. Any idea how large the batch was?

No idea. There is a local package store where I live that occasionally gets it in around this time of year. Call around some of the higher end places where you live, you may be able to find it or have it ordered for you. It comes in 4 packs like the imperial pumpkin btw.

Good luck. It's worth the search. Oh- and make sure to post impressions if you get your hands on some. :D

Clydefrog

sharkmuncher said:
Anyone watched Brewmasters on Discovery? Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head is my new hero!

I've seen one episode. I've always wanted to visit DFH. My ex got me a DFH t-shirt (it's so comfy!) last year for my birthday. Their beers are GOOD. Been aging a 120 Min IPA for 3 years now :D

70bb43.jpg

Some people love Fall and all the Pumpkin beers, but I'm all about the winter ales... yum yum yum.

Nothing better than looking at the Christmas tree, listening to the Sufjan Stevens Christmas box set and drinking a nice winter ale.

HiResDes

Man I was wrong about the Celebration Ale it is really good, the more I drink it the more i like it...I'm currently on the the second last one in my sixpack.

Ra\/en

Anybody else here tried Trois Pistoles? I picked up a 6 pack a couple of weeks ago. It was a perfect sipping beer for a cold Calgary night. Mmmm. I had to stop after a couple though. too strong. Certainly delicious. Fruity. Love the artwork.

unibroue-trois-pistoles.jpg

AIRic

Ra\/en said:
Anybody else here tried Trois Pistoles? I picked up a 6 pack a couple of weeks ago. It was a perfect sipping beer for a cold Calgary night. Mmmm. I had to stop after a couple though. too strong. Certainly delicious. A bit fruity I think.

http://flickrfanstan.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/unibroue-trois-pistoles.jpg

WTF! Trois Pistoles is not a light colored beer, It's quite dark and opaque! It's like they put a Trois Pistoles sticker on a "Fin du monde" beer. Trois Pistoles and Maudite are my favorites from Unibroue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Trois Pistole is definitely the best of Unibroue's selection in my opinion.

Regarding Winter Ales, I have to say my two favorite have to be Sierra Nevada's Celebration and Maritime Pacific's "Jolly Roger"! Jubelale is quite nice, too.

Beaulieu

AIRic said:
WTF! Trois Pistoles is not a light colored beer, It's quite dark and opaque! It's like they put a Trois Pistoles sticker on a "Fin du monde" beer. Trois Pistoles and Maudite are my favorites from Unibroue.

pretty sure the bottle is emptied in that glass, man.

tokkun

AIRic said:

That's what Trois Pistoles looks like. La Fin du Monde is much paler than the beer in that picture.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
deadbeef said:
It's no Samichlaus, but here's my winter beer haul for the next three or four weeks:

yBTxA.jpg

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a year-round thing, I think. I first tried it in September and really enjoyed it.

deadbeef

Zefah said:
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a year-round thing, I think. I first tried it in September and really enjoyed it.
Oh yeah, I know - it just seems like a nice cold-weather beer to me :)

HiResDes

I might catch some shit for this, but I really like some of the beers brewed by BJ's Restaurant, and I think some of them compare really well with even the upper echelon of various styles.

Here are my favorites:

Grand Cru - Listed as a Belgium Dark Strong Ale, but it's really a Belgium Dark Pale Ale, and a fantastic one at that:

GEZBK.jpg

and their Jeremiah Red, might be in my top five favorite beers:

YGCWd.jpg

I think the ABV is like 7%, but you really can't taste it much at all, these things are fucking deadly...Highly recommended, I'm going out to get a growler today.

Leatherface

doitlive said:
Blue+Dawg+Wild+Blue+Blueberry+Lager.jpg

Recommended by my roommate so I checked it out.
It tastes like Blueberry syrup and it's 8%
:lol

Bleh! That beer is fucking nasty! (no offense).
I'm really not a fan of beer that tastes ultra sweet like this one.

y2dvd

Tried Sam Adams cherry wheat last night. Pretty good. The cherry flavor quite strong, and I love everything cherry.

Also tried Black Velvet I think. All I remember was that it's mixed with cider. After this and Ace, I think I hate all cider drinks.

AIRic

tokkun said:
That's what Trois Pistoles looks like. La Fin du Monde is much paler than the beer in that picture.

Not around here. It's a dark beer, not a amber-like colored beer, and it's true that Fin du monde is much paler, the beer in the glass looks closer to Don de dieu.

Like that (not my pic). Even if you put it in front of a bright light, it still very dark.

unibroue-trois-pistoles-resized.jpg

Finally got my hands on a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout last weekend. It was one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. It was so malty and robust that it basically transcended beer and turned more into a port wine. So sweet and boozy. :lol

It also took me over an hour and a half to drink the damn behemoth. It wasn't as easy to drink as the 120 min ipa, but it was better.

My wife bought me a homebrew kit for Christmas. She didn't realize it would be so big and she needed my help to pick it up, so it ruined the surprised, but I'm still super excited. :lol

The only thing I need now is a 5 gallon brew pot to brew it in, as that didn't come with the set. I would imagine they are not that cheap. I'm excited to start making my own beer. Luckily, since I need 48 empty bottles, I can celebrate my excitement by buying two cases and drinking them!

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
My wife bought me a homebrew kit for Christmas. She didn't realize it would be so big and she needed my help to pick it up, so it ruined the surprised, but I'm still super excited. :lol

The only thing I need now is a 5 gallon brew pot to brew it in, as that didn't come with the set. I would imagine they are not that cheap. I'm excited to start making my own beer. Luckily, since I need 48 empty bottles, I can celebrate my excitement by buying two cases and drinking them!

Don't bother buying something that they're selling as a "brew pot." Just get the most affordable pot you can find. Also when you're making 5 gallon batches it is technically best to get all 5 gallons of liquid in the boil in the brew pot, but if you're doing this on your kitchen stove, the issue of being able to heat and keep 5 gallons of liquid at a good constant temperature. I use a 3 gallon pot on my kitchen stove and then top it off to 5 gallons before primary. You'll probably get slightly better flavor though if you can manage to boil the full 5 gallons. A lot of people use a turkey fryer instead of a stove to get the job done.

Brought home a very small mini-haul yesterday:

1 Samichlaus
1 Bell's Batch 10,000
1 Orval
1 Peace Tree Brewing Co. Double IPA
1 six pack Boulevard Single-Wide IPA (it was 6.99!)

Balya

These are the staples among my friends and I at our local pub. I see Racer mentioned here and there but I have no idea how popular the rest are in other areas, maybe you guys know them:
23r65pc.jpg
33uakv4.jpg

2u6h991.jpg
2wozjbl.jpg

8wmvk9.jpg
ngh3q.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Friday night they had Dog Fish Head 60 minute IPA on tap at the restaurant I visited. I drank some. IPA's must not be for me.

otake said:
Friday night they had Dog Fish Head 60 minute IPA on tap at the restaurant I visited. I drank some. IPA's must not be for me.

What's the hoppiest beer you've ever had prior?

Hops are, in fact, the closest botanical relative to cannabis. Just like with that stuff, you need to raise the threshold slowly. Though 60 minute is pretty weak anyway... if your most adventurous beer prior to trying it is guinness or blue moon, then yeah you'd be in for a surprise.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Ninkasi Sleighr is the best winter beer I have had so far this season. SN Celebration is not great IMO.

Edit: Homebrewing is a ton of fun. My dad and I have made a couple batches together and it's turned out really well. The store we buy the stuff from has recipes to make well known beers. We made a Pacific NW Pale Ale which is basically Deschutes Mirror Pond. Our last batch was a nut brown ale that turned out amazingly! We have a winter brew that's just about ready to be bottled. I'll post some pics of it once it's ready to drink.

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Ninkasi Sleighr is the best winter beer I have had so far this season. SN Celebration is not great IMO.

What's not great about it?

One of the biggest hangups a lot of people have with Celebration is that it looks like a Christmassy beer from the label and what not, but really it's just a winter seasonal pleasantly hoppy and bitter pale ale with a very subtle underlying spice to it. I think it helps that they added the text "fresh hop ale" to the label this year.

Anytime someone is looking for a beer that tastes like Christmas in a bottle, I point them to Anchor Our Special Ale.

Giard

Hey guys, I love the taste of beer, however I loathe carbonation. I can't even drink Coke.
What would you suggest to a beginner who hates carbonation?

Some beers I've tried that I enjoyed...not counting carbonation
Leffe, Newcastle Brown Ale, Rickard's White/Blue Moon, Péché Mortel.

Carbonation killed La Fin du Monde for me....but it's been a while, maybe I would appreciate it more nowadays.

KHarvey16

Giard said:
Hey guys, I love the taste of beer, however I loathe carbonation. I can't even drink Coke.
What would you suggest to a beginner who hates carbonation?

Some beers I've tried that I enjoyed...not counting carbonation
Leffe, Newcastle Brown Ale, Rickard's White/Blue Moon, Péché Mortel.

Carbonation killed La Fin du Monde for me....but it's been a while, maybe I would appreciate it more nowadays.

Ever had Guinness?

Top Bottom