• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

First time trying. I have high expectations.

EDFvbGDl.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Was at World of Beer for St. Patrick's Day yesterday. Here's now my night progressed (all on tap):

La Fin Du Monde
Delirium Tremens
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Wells Banana Bread Beer

mcfrank

Had Craftsman (local Pasadena brewery) French Toast Quad yesterday. It is a really fantastic beer. Pick it up if you see it on tap in CA.

kodt

Banned

If you weren't waiting hitting refresh at noon, you likely would miss out :) Although I did hear of people getting them as late as 1pm. I guess if people timed out, the tickets were released back into the pool. But by 12:04pm all groups were showing unavailable for me.

I ended up getting two tickets for Group E. Everything else sold out. Anyone else get in?

Seth C

If you weren't waiting hitting refresh at noon, you likely would miss out :) Although I did hear of people getting them as late as 1pm. I guess if people timed out, the tickets were released back into the pool. But by 12:04pm all groups were showing unavailable for me.

I ended up getting two tickets for Group E. Everything else sold out. Anyone else get in?

I goofed around and didn't get any tickets. Oh well, I wasn't convinced I wanted to go anyway.

VALIS

Set up some beer cabinets today. I used what I use for books, the Billy series of bookcases from Ikea. Inexpensive, sturdy and not bad looking. Also 8 feet tall, which is hard to find. The bombers are three deep on the bottom rows, and the smaller bottle shelves are four deep, so this already has 150 ish beers in it with plenty more room (there's an empty row on top out of the photo).

l7YU086.jpg

dekline

edit. ^^^holy shit. I need a setup like that.

ibzf5dRVEuq2oL.jpg

Wow. Loving the chocolate/charred oak flavor. Very warming beer on a cold night like tonight. Packs a punch at 13% abv.

If you can find it, buy it.

I'm sure I'll get laughed out of the thread for drinking too mainstream, but I've recently committed myself to eating better and watching my calories. As great as that is for my body, the 500+ calories in my Blue Moon bottle just isn't going to cut it.

Blue Moon is by far my favorite mainstream beer, but I also enjoy Guinness (far fewer calories but I like variety). Are there any good brews out there that won't continue to bust my gut outward?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm sure I'll get laughed out of the thread for drinking too mainstream, but I've recently committed myself to eating better and watching my calories. As great as that is for my body, the 500+ calories in my Blue Moon bottle just isn't going to cut it.

Blue Moon is by far my favorite mainstream beer, but I also enjoy Guinness (far fewer calories but I like variety). Are there any good brews out there that won't continue to bust my gut outward?

A bottle of Blue Moon doesn't have 500+ calories.

Typically, the lower alcohol, drier beers are going to have lower calories.

thespot84

It's weird, the first google result for blue moon calories says it has 551 which is ridiculously wrong. It *can't* have that much. A deeper search says ~170/180, which is what I'd expect. No idea how that first page gets its result. Even most barleywines don't have 550 calories per 12oz.

totally bizarre. And the error is egregious, they're off by a factor of 4...

Also, fun beer/calorie fact: Guinness has few calories compared to most non-light beers. 125/12-oz

VALIS

Ratebeer.com gives estimated calories for everything, using a fairly simple formula based on the ABV which I can't remember myself right now, unfortunately.

mcfrank

edit. ^^^holy shit. I need a setup like that.

ibzf5dRVEuq2oL.jpg

Wow. Loving the chocolate/charred oak flavor. Very warming beer on a cold night like tonight. Packs a punch at 13% abv.

If you can find it, buy it.

My wife was at their resturant for lunch today and asked about availability. They said late may/early June it should be easier to find.

codhand

I've been developing a waistline for having a bottle every night.

up it to two bottles if you really want to develop it.

also, only drink voodoo maple bacon donut beer.

Craft Brews Slowly Chipping Away At Big Beer's Dominance

In the U.S., we drink $200 billion worth of the hops-brewed libation annually. What many Americans might not know is that most domestic beer, 90 percent in fact, is dominated by just two companies: Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors.

Innovators, however, are challenging that dominance in the form of craft beer breweries. Small "mom and pop"-style breweries — or regional breweries — now account for about 6 percent of domestic beer sales. That may seem like a small number, but it's been growing every year since the early 1990s, while big brewers' share is declining.

There are now more small breweries than there were before Prohibition, when beer was largely a regional business.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/17/174571197/craft-brews-slowly-chipping-away-at-big-beers-dominance

made a thread

Seth C

If anyone is a fan of Baird Beer out of Japan you want to come down to Country Boy in Lexington, KY this Saturday. The owner, Brian Baird, will be in town and will be bringing three of their beers to be served on tap. Very rare in the US.

Rising Sun Pale Ale
Angry Boy Brown Ale
Yabai Yabai Scotch Ale

They will also be brewing up a collaboration with Country Boy to be unveiled this summer, which will be a double brown ale aged in Maker's Mark barrels. If anyone is interested let me know.

codhand

If anyone is a fan of Baird Beer out of Japan you want to come down to Country Boy in Lexington, KY this Saturday. The owner, Brian Baird, will be in town and will be bringing three of their beers to be served on tap. Very rare in the US.

Rising Sun Pale Ale
Angry Boy Brown Ale
Yabai Yabai Scotch Ale

They will also be brewing up a collaboration with Country Boy to be unveiled this summer, which will be a double brown ale aged in Maker's Mark barrels. If anyone is interested let me know.

damn, sounds awesome, i love maker's mark too

Rising Sun Pale Ale
Angry Boy Brown Ale
Yabai Yabai Scotch Ale

That's awesome. I've been to their taproom in Harajuku, Tokyo. Great beer. Too bad they're not bringing Suruga Bay Imperial IPA with them.

It's really not that rare in the US, they have distribution in the US through Shelton Brothers, so I pick up their bottles whenever I'm down in Portland. I've got Dark Sky Russian Imperial stout and Teikoku IPA at the moment. Also available in British Columbia, Canada.

Seth C

That's awesome. I've been to their taproom in Harajuku, Tokyo. Great beer. Too bad they're not bringing Suruga Bay Imperial IPA with them.

It's really not that rare in the US, they have distribution in the US through Shelton Brothers, so I pick up their bottles whenever I'm down in Portland. I've got Dark Sky Russian Imperial stout and Teikoku IPA at the moment. Also available in British Columbia, Canada.

Their bottles aren't that rare, but getting it on tap (for the majority of the country) is.

Seth C

Yeah, didn't mean to rain on your parade or anything. Have a great time. I wish we got it in WA, but Shelton Brothers are gigantic dicks.

Haha. It's fine. For me draft is a very different experience from bottled beer, and it's always fun to see Baird bring in some of their disposable kegs. Brian does it because he met two of the Country Boys while they were teaching English in Japan and running an English language Japanese beer blog. They became friends (Brian is originally from Ohio) and when he comes home for a visit he usually brings some beer to share at Country Boy.

But as much as anything I just wanted to get some GAF folks down to have a beer with. :)

Haha. It's fine. For me draft is a very different experience from bottled beer, and it's always fun to see Baird bring in some of their disposable kegs. Brian does it because he met two of the Country Boys while they were teaching English in Japan and running an English language Japanese beer blog. They became friends (Brian is originally from Ohio) and when he comes home for a visit he usually brings some beer to share at Country Boy.

But as much as anything I just wanted to get some GAF folks down to have a beer with. :)

If you ever go to Japan, visiting one of their taprooms is definitely worth it. They've always got stuff that never leaves their pubs. I'm going back next April and will be going there at least once or twice.

Seth C

If you ever go to Japan, visiting one of their taprooms is definitely worth it. They've always got stuff that never leaves their pubs. I'm going back next April and will be going there at least once or twice.

Hah. Whenever I make it to Japan it will probably be with DH (one of the Country Boys) so I'm sure all I'll do is drink with Brian. No worries.

Hah. Whenever I make it to Japan it will probably be with DH (one of the Country Boys) so I'm sure all I'll do is drink with Brian. No worries.

Since I started visiting in 2006, the Japanese craft market has really exploded. You still see Asahi, Ebisu, Sapporo, Kirin, Suntory, etc. dominating, but there are tons of craft places in Tokyo. A lot of small-to-mid craft breweries in Seattle are also starting to consistently ship kegs over there.

codhand

hey seth and whoever else, im down to get some trades going, would love zombie dust, i can get my hands on Gandhi Bot if youre interested....

Seth C

hey seth and whoever else, im down to get some trades going, would love zombie dust, i can get my hands on Gandhi Bot if youre interested....

Gandhi Bot looks cool. I am also definitely in to stouts and aged beers, so if you have any highly regarded regional stuff of that sort I'd like to try it.

codhand

I am also definitely in to stouts and aged beers, so if you have any highly regarded regional stuff of that sort I'd like to try it.

that would be Imperial Stout Trooper; harder to acquire from the same brewer as Gandhi Bot, I'd part with a personal stash bottle though for a good trade, just PM me, we can set a limit like no more than $20 in beer or something simple...I think Stout Trooper is about 9 bucks a 500ml bottle, Gandhi is $12 a 4-pk

of course if you know of anything you want in the area (NY, MA, CT, RI, NJ) I'd see what I could do

this goes for anyone else too...

lunchtoast

Anyone buy the Costco variety 24 pack? It has Amber Ale, Pale Ale, German Lager, and Hefeweizen. It's about $16-18. It's not too bad either.

Top Bottom