• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dekline

Picked these up

i8git7q7KK05c.jpg

The beer from Odell sounds interesting. From their website: "An Imperial Porter aged in oak wine barrels accented with juice from Tempranillo grapes..."

And Hennepin is always good. Honestly though I might just open my bottle of Trois Pistoles tonight.

mcfrank

You can't go wrong with Hennepin. I like the slick new bottle as well. They had it sitting right next to the old one:

i8dyBz2AOU3Mx.jpg

Which threw me off for a second.

Seems like they changed a lot of their labels recently. I noticed two different labels for the Abbey ale at Whole foods right next to each other.

aceface

Seems like they changed a lot of their labels recently. I noticed two different labels for the Abbey ale at Whole foods right next to each other.

I was at the Ommegang brewery the other day and the had these giant like size of your torso bottles of Hennepin, sealed in wax. I passed and picked up 6 bottles of Iron Throne (and 2 matching glasses).

I hear it's hard to get, let us know.

Definitely preferred the '09 over '12. Both hid their alcohol very well. '09 as it warmed more and more was just very very enjoyable. '12 I don't know what was going on with it. I hope it was just a bad bottle, but it was super super sweet. Could not finish my pour.

Everything was great (except '12 DL, ugh), but the standouts of the night for me were the 09 DL, BCBS, and Black Note Stout from Bell's.

kodt

Banned
Definitely preferred the '09 over '12. Both hid their alcohol very well. '09 as it warmed more and more was just very very enjoyable. '12 I don't know what was going on with it. I hope it was just a bad bottle, but it was super super sweet. Could not finish my pour.

Everything was great (except '12 DL, ugh), but the standouts of the night for me were the 09 DL, BCBS, and Black Note Stout from Bell's.

12 is known as being very sweet. Most people prefer the '10 or '11 as one of the better years.

07 was the first year I had it, and probably my favorite. But can't really compare it now since it has been so long.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up a six pack of Anchor Steam's porter. I didn't know they had a porter!

anchor%20steam%20porter%20beer.gif

Holy shit, this is a very good porter! Quite possibly one of the best I've ever had.

matt360

If anyone is a fan of Baird Beer out of Japan you want to come down to Country Boy in Lexington, KY this Saturday. The owner, Brian Baird, will be in town and will be bringing three of their beers to be served on tap. Very rare in the US.

Rising Sun Pale Ale
Angry Boy Brown Ale
Yabai Yabai Scotch Ale

They will also be brewing up a collaboration with Country Boy to be unveiled this summer, which will be a double brown ale aged in Maker's Mark barrels. If anyone is interested let me know.

That's awesome. I've never been to any of the taprooms but I am a fan of Baird Beer. I've had the mikan beer which I really enjoyed, and their Rose Amber is one of my favorite amber ales. They also come to the Hiroshima Beer Fest every year, so I make sure to try whatever they've got.

I'm actually hosting a beer tasting party with one of my eikaiwa groups this Sunday and we'll be having some Rose Ambers, along with some Yona Yonas, and several varieties of Hitachino Nest.

That's awesome. I've never been to any of the taprooms but I am a fan of Baird Beer.
Yeah, last year when visiting Tokyo I had the option of going to the Baird taproom in Nakameguro or Popeye's in Ryogoku. Opted for Popeye's due to the sheer number of taps (over 300). Because of circumstances, we only stayed for long enough for me to try their Japanese sampler (10, 20?), and the Baird beers were at the top of my favourites from the sample.

The atmosphere in Popeye's (it had been raining all day and was a Thursday I think) was just awful. Rude, cramped, loud. Not conducive to actually enjoying beer at all.

codhand

Had Stone 12-12-12 last night, prolly not the ideal time of year for it, but it tasted like when I ate a tablespoon of nutmeg in high school.

dekline

ok but first lemme buy a second wallet to hold this massive amount of money i apparently have :p

i seriously did wanna drink it for breakfast, it laughed at me on my way out the door

It would be interesting to compare a new bottle to one you cellar aged yourself. I want to try that myself at some point.

Seth C

Hey beer friends! Going out for food in a bit. Choose what I drink (I removed the real crap from their draft list)!

Against the Grain DaButt 6.8% (m)
Anchor Steam 4.9% (m)
Avery Ellie's Brown Ale 5.5% (m)
Avery White Rascal 5.6% (m)
Bell's Expedition Stout 10.5% (m)
Bell's Smitten Golden Rye Ale 6% (m)
Bell’s Two Hearted 7% (m)
Brooklyn Dry Irish Stout 4.7% (m)
Chimay Triple* 8% (i)
Dark Horse Crooked Tree Double IPA 13.6% (m)
Dark Horse Plead the 5th Imperial Stout 12% (m)
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA 6% (m)
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA 9% (m)
Founders All Day IPA 4.7% (m)
Founders Breakfast Stout 8.3% (m)
Franziskaner 5% (i)
Great Lakes Alchemy Hour Double IPA 9.4% (m)
Hoegaarden 5% (i)
Hofbrau Dunkel 5.5% (i)
New Holland Mad Hatter IPA 5.2%(m)
North Coast Old Rasputin 9%(m)
Palm 5.4%
Schlafly American IPA 7.2% (m)
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger IPA 6.4% (m)
Sixpoint Resin 9.1% (m)
Smutty Nose IPA 6.6% (m)
Southern Tier Choklat 11% (m)
Spaten Oktoberfest 5.9% (i)
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale 7.2% (m)
Stone Enjoy By IPA 9.4% (m)
Stone IPA 6.9% (m)
Three Floyds Alpha King 6.6% (m)
Three Floyds Pride & Joy 4.8$
Unibroue La Fin Du Monde 9% (i)
Unibroue Trois Pistoles 9% (i)
West 6th IPA 7% (m)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Seth, you know better than to have us pick a beer for you when we don't know what you're eating.

That said, Old Rasputin.

Link

The Autumn Wind
DaButt is from Against the Grain, a small brewpub in Louisville.

Also, at 6:30 if I buy a pitcher of the beer, I get two of these to take home!

208898_10151414692494585_65673644_n.jpg
Hmm, if I leave for the airport now, I can be in Kentucky by 6:30...

codhand

nice pimp cup

Anything Six Point, if you haven't had, is good.
Also you can steer clear of the BK Dry Irish Stout, had it on St. Patty's day, pretty nasty.

JPKellams

Anyone try Ommegang Blond Ale, Game of Thrones yet? Saw it, didn't buy...

Had it at the premiere party the other night. Was pretty good, but I think it is a little too carbonated for my liking. I did totally keep one of the Ommegang GoT glasses though! Perfect to pour some Three Philosophers in next week when the show airs.

kodt

Banned
Is it that hard to get, even in the States?

Depends where you live. Only certain areas get it for a limited time. If you live near an area that get's it, it shouldn't be too hard to get. Otherwise your only option is to fly to another state/city for a $5 glass of beer.

thespot84

Is it that hard to get, even in the States?

It is, the scarcity is somewhat artificial, as the brewery enforces it on his outlets (pints only, etc). In Colorado it probably was tapped at 5 or so places for one or two days total this year. The lines get long, and frankly IMO it's not worth it.

JPKellams

There's no way those beers can live up to the hype.

Pliny the Younger is pretty awesome. But the issue is the artificial scarcity as a limited time brew, plus the fact that Russian River doesn't service that many accounts.

BTW - Definitely check out that Baird Beer event if you have the chance. Brian is an awesome guy and doing great things in Japan. Their new brewery is going to be awesome. My second favorite Japanese craft brewer behind Minami-Shinshu.

Top Bottom