• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

kodt

Banned
Ah not doubt, but my interest is piqued.

Yeah, probably there is a great local beer that is comparable.

East Coast you can get Hill Farmstead or Heady Topper, or DFH 90 minute or 120 minute, SixPoint Resin

Midwest Bell's Hopslam or Three Floyds Dreadnaught or Arctic Panzer Wolf

Stone Enjoy By or Ruination, Lagunitas Sucks or Hop Stoopid, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Avery Maharaja

Lots of great Imperial IPAs out there.

Sappy113

Had a minor beer run today. All from Danish craft beer breweries. Milk Chocolate Stout, Saison and IPA. Still haven't dived in to any of them. All good things, and so on :)

527628_10151495365999826_353099824_n.jpg

Minus_Me

The Quebec brewing scene is pretty amazing considering our population. I can't complain too much about not having access to American craft brewers with that in mind.

thespot84

Yeah, probably there is a great local beer that is comparable.

East Coast you can get Hill Farmstead or Heady Topper, or DFH 90 minute or 120 minute, SixPoint Resin

Midwest Bell's Hopslam or Three Floyds Dreadnaught or Arctic Panzer Wolf

Stone Enjoy By or Ruination, Lagunitas Sucks or Hop Stoopid, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Avery Maharaja

Lots of great Imperial IPAs out there.

I'd add rampart to that list, and it will probably get great distribution over time.

There's no way those beers can live up to the hype.

Part of the appeal is chasing it down. It's just another way to geekify a hobby.

OR: Boneyard's Hop Venom and Notorious IPA3.
WA: Black Raven's Wisdom Seeker and Fremont's The Sister.

Lots of killer Imperial IPAs.

Notorious is amazing. I had it for the first time a couple months ago. It's so fruity and the bitterness of the hops is amazingly subtle for a 3xipa. Boneyard makes some great beers.

I had Notorious a couple weeks ago at my neighborhood pub, thought it was pretty damn tasty. $3.75 during happy hour made it even better.

Speaking of Boneyard, my wife and I are headed down to Bend in May to visit friends (owner/brewer at Crux), drink lots of beer and hang out.

Big beer night last night.

Went to the launch of Terry's Ale, a recreation of an 1860s ale made in Melbourne, Australia (where I live). Then moseyed along to a microbrewery event (guest of a brewery, woo) and had quite a few more.

List and my Untappd ratings:
Thunder Road - Terry's Ale (2.5)
Bright Brewery - MIA IP (4)
Boneyard Brewing - Grapefruit IPA (3.5)
Flying Brick - Draught Cider (4.5)
Cavalier Brewing - Courage (3.5)
Bridge Road Brewers - WalDo (3)
Mountain Goat - Fancy Pants (4)
Mildura Brewery - Choc Hops (4)
Southern Bay - Hop Bazooka (3.5)
Moon Dog - Lando Kardashian (4)
Holgate - Millenium Falcon (4)
Mikkeller - Jackie Brown (3.5) <- The only one that wasn't local, friend bought it
Temple - Monsoon (2)
Sideshow Brewers - Ticket Booth (3)
Savarin - Brown Ale (2.5)

I still had 8 or 9 of my tasting tickets left over by the time the event finished.

Chris R

Don't look at this list then...

I wish prices were that low here :(

What sucks is going into a bar and seeing what used to be a $5 pint become a $5.50 pint when I can still pick up a 24 pack of it for the same price in the store if I wanted. It's shit like that happening that keeps me out of most bars.

Minus_Me

Imagine my pain considering the stuff is brewed here. Only cheap place to get a pint is at the University Bars which have Fin Du Monde, Maudite and Ephemere on tap for 3.50. I just feel old drinking there.

Seth C

Headed to Beer Trappe for a beer. Quick, pick it for me!

Fregiest/Jester King Sauer Power
Founders Breakfast Stout,
Stone Old Guardian 2013
Three Floyd’s Zombie Dust
Country Boy Knotty Pine Double IPA
Schafly Pilsner
Goose Island Matilda
Avery White Rascal

HiResDes

Headed to Beer Trappe for a beer. Quick, pick it for me!

Fregiest/Jester King Sauer Power
Founders Breakfast Stout,
Stone Old Guardian 2013
Three Floyd’s Zombie Dust
Country Boy Knotty Pine Double IPA
Schafly Pilsner
Goose Island Matilda
Avery White Rascal

Fregiest

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Had a Stella for my 22nd birthday!

Obviously a generic beer, nothin' special, but it was my first legal drink and I'm a man of tradition.

So I had pliny the younger tonight after warming up with a pliny the elder. It is not a beer for an inexperienced drinker. Once I had the younger I was done for the night. My tastebuds were eliminated. I can still feel the effect two hours later.

It was much lighter in color than I thought it would be. Pours like a normal IPA. The nose is citrusy and sweet like blind pig and elder but the taste is much more complex. It hits your nose fast. Lots of malty goodness, dark dried fruit at first. When it starts to open up its almost like a molasses or caramel kind of flavor before transitioning into a surprisingly bright orange finish with a slight bitter aftertaste and plenty of grapefruit afterward. It's very similar to elder in the overall chorus of flavors but it has an extra layer of polish that makes it superior. I am very impressed.

fenners

Nothing wrong with that.

Stella is a good first choice imo.

Yeah, there's far better beers out there, but Stella is a nice smooth lager that's a good step up from Bud etc.

It was always the "premium" beer when I started going out to pubs & whatnot back in Scotland & I find it funny to see the same old adverts recycled over here in the States 12 years later still selling it as such.

What sucks is going into a bar and seeing what used to be a $5 pint become a $5.50 pint when I can still pick up a 24 pack of it for the same price in the store if I wanted. It's shit like that happening that keeps me out of most bars.
You guys should be happy beer is so cheap in the US.

A 6-pack of locally-made beer is $15-18 easily. We're not talking limited edition, ultra-high ABV crazy brews either. For those, we might pay $8-10 each for a 355mL bottle (happily paid $14 for a locally-brewed quad--355mL--a couple of weeks back).

I was going to ask, how much is a standrd carton of beer in the states?

Australia is absolutely shocking. Standard price for a carton of local beer is damn near $40... just checking how that compares.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I was going to ask, how much is a standrd carton of beer in the states?

Australia is absolutely shocking. Standard price for a local beer is damn near $40... just checking how that compares.
You mean for a 12-pack? They generally average $10-$15 dollars, but that's really only macrobrews. Craft beers usually either come in 4/6-packs or 750ml bombers.

You guys should be happy beer is so cheap in the US.

A 6-pack of locally-made beer is $15-18 easily. We're not talking limited edition, ultra-high ABV crazy brews either. For those, we might pay $8-10 each for a 355mL bottle (happily paid $14 for a locally-brewed quad--355mL--a couple of weeks back).

Beer is also expensive in Canada. Blows my mind every time we're in Vancouver and I stock up on stuff we don't get in Seattle.

Link

The Autumn Wind
A carton in Australia = 24 beers :p

For craft beers here, that's usually $60.
They don't sell craft beer like that here, but it would probably be about the same, considering we'll pay an average of $10 for a 4/6-pack on a lot of craft beer.

Top Bottom