• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PG2G

Had to go out today and pick up another Knuckle Sandwich, easily up there with my top 3 IPAs.

Also picked up a 750 of Tilquin Gueze, have heard very very good things.

I need to stop spending so much on beer every week :/ Picked up another La Folie and Stone's Coffee IPA collab "Dayman" yesterday.

newbelgium-la-folie-2013-bottle.jpg

Finishing off a bomber of this. Not a bad sour by any stretch!

So anybody try the Boulevard Coffee Ale? Had a bottle last night, damn. Kind of hard to describe outside the obvious 9% abv hopped coffee flavor. Pretty unique for me.

I loved it, too bad it's so limited.

Seth C

Country Boy's Thai Pale Ale, with Baird's Yabai Yabai Scotch Ale, Angry Boy Brown, and Rising Sun Pale.

My non-Country Boy/Baird options today are Booneville Bourbon Barrel Stout, 3 Floyd's Brian Boru, Plead the 5th, Brooklyn's There Will Be Black, and Stillwater's Existent.

TheExodu5

Banned
Excellent choice! I really love Unibroue's whole selection. Ephemere is my go-to "girl-friendly" beer.

La Fin Du Monde and Ephemere apple are my favorite Unibroues. I don't know if they distribute Ephemere outside of Quebec though. It's definitely one of their lesser known beers.

sephi22

Every time I see a beer related thread I am obligated to mention that
Shock Top
is the worst beer I've ever consumed.

Stay the fuck away.
Don't make the same mistake I did.

Cr0wn0

Had a flight tonight of:
Petrus Red - Incredible, I got cherries and a little bit of vanilla, not as dry as I thought it would be.

Lost Abbey Serpent Stout - Super Smooth dark chocolate with a little bit of coffee.

WychWood Hobgoblin - I've honestly never knowingly had a ESB, I'm going to look for some more because this was great. I got alot of Caramel/Sweet from this easy to drink really good.

Epic Brainless on Peaches - This was pretty good, I've had brainless on cherries before and didn't like it as much. I would recommend trying it but I don't think it's something I would buy normally.

Haven't tried that one yet. I've had the Imperial Pelican, the India Pelican, and the Tsunami Stout so far and all of them have been fantastic. I'll keep a look out for the Mother of All Storms next.

It's a yearly limited release barleywine. Doesn't come out again until November, but you might still be able to find a bottle hanging around somewhere.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Adams (have better options available to me), but this is very cool:

Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:24 PM
Subject: New Sam Adams Can Design Available to All Craft Brewers

A few weeks ago, word got out that we've decided to put Samuel Adams in cans. The new can design we'll be using is the result of two years of work, led by a team of our brewers along with a sensory scientist and an industrial design firm, to see if there was any way to improve the standard beverage can for the taste of full flavored beers like Boston Lager.

When I took this leap of faith, I wanted to do it in a way that would be true to the put-the-flavor-first spirit of the craft beer industry - which is one of the most spirited and innovative communities anyone could ever be a part of.

Our new can design required a million dollar investment in special equipment tooling along with time, research and testing and resulted in a patent-pending design. We think that the difference will be a subtle but noticeably better drinking experience than the standard beverage can. We anticipate having this can in the market in May or June, so you can taste for yourself to see if you think it provides a slightly better experience.

We've decided to make the patent-pending design available, without any royalty or license fee, to all craft brewers who would like to use this can. We're still working out the details with Ball, our can manufacturer, but we anticipate that any craft brewer will be able to purchase this unique can from Ball sometime this fall depending on how things go at Ball. You can read more about the specific design aspects on our blog (http://bit.ly/11cITuf).

We're still working out the details, but if you're a craft brewer as currently defined by the Brewers Association, and interested in using the new can design or have any questions, contact Sam Adams.

Jim Koch
Boston Beer Company
Boston, Massachusetts
http://www.samueladams.com

In other canning news, Deschutes is going to start canning Mirror Pond this summer, but they're outsourcing brewing and production to the same company that does 21st Ammendment's line. Not a big fan of them outsourcing production completely.

andylsun

In other canning news, Deschutes is going to start canning Mirror Pond this summer, but they're outsourcing brewing and production to the same company that does 21st Ammendment's line. Not a big fan of them outsourcing production completely.

Outsourcing the brewing? hmm...

Outsourcing the brewing? hmm...

The label image makes it sound that way...

deschutes-mirror-pond-pale-ale-cans.png

http://beerpulse.com/2013/03/deschutes-mirror-pond-pale-ale-coming-to-cans-012/

Beer Pulse said:
(Bend, OR) – Deschutes Brewery received label approval this week for 12 oz. cans of Mirror Pond Pale Ale. Deschutes Digital Marketing Manager, Jason Randles, tells BeerPulse that the hope is to get 12-packs of cans out into the market this summer but that it is not yet definite. No other beers are planned for cans in 2013.

The process of considering a third-party facility for Mirror Pond Pale Ale cans began a little over a year ago, says Randles. They selected Cold Spring in Minnesota, which also cans beers for 21st Amendment and other brewers. Randles isn’t certain whether the partnership is a traditional contract or an alternating proprietorship but re-iterated that they won’t release Mirror Pond in cans until it as at the same standard as the beer produced in Bend. A few months ago, they started sending a brewer over to Cold Spring to start dialing in the beer there and that process is still ongoing.

There could be a canning line in Deschutes’ future though that is undetermined as of now and would be “years down the road.”

According to the Symphony IRI Group, sales of craft beer cans jumped 168% up to $32.6 million in supermarkets last year. The number of craft brewers selling cans in supermarkets will soon pass 100.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 12-packs of 12 oz. cans became the top new craft package with $5.2 million in sales and already ranks #1 among cans. That isn’t going unnoticed by brewers like Deschutes and The Boston Beer Company which recently announced the forthcoming release of Samuel Adams Boston Lager and Summer Ale cans.

Deschutes was the #5 craft brewer with 252,000 barrels produced in 2012. Eight of the top ten brewers either can or have announced plans to do so with Lagunitas and Stone being the lone holdouts.

Bigfoot

It's available in Saskatchewan and Alberta, from my experience. Ephemere is my least favourite Unibroue beer.

I'm not a big fan of Ephemere, but I would say La Fin Du Monde is in my Top 5 or 10 favourite beers. I bought a Unibroue sampler 12 pack yesterday with La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, Trois Pistoles and something called Fringante. I've never had the last 3 before, and never heard of Fringante, so I'm looking forward to cracking them open.

Other than the Ephemere and La Fin Du Monde, the only other Unibroue beers I have had were Blanche de Chambly, Blonde de Chambly, and La Gaillarde. All were good but didn't compare to La Fin Du Monde.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Jamesways

Enjoying a Surly Furious tonight

ibgbCtyCmvngH7.jpg

Very tasty

Mpls area?

Surly is good stuff. Have you happened on any Steel Toe from St. Louis Park? Run by one guy, makes amazing beer, the Size 7 IPA is by far one of my favorites.

I live very close to Dangerous Man and Indeed Brewing in NE Mpls. Craft beer market is really exploding in the Twin Cities, so many new places.

Top Bottom