• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PG2G

Never seen beer at Costco worth a second look here in Los Angeles. I have heard god things about some Northern Cali locations though. You probably need to be in a craft beer market.

mcfrank

fv.JPG

Good pick ups last night

Allagash FV13 - Limited edition foudre wild ale
Telegraph Gypsy - Rye, Plum, and Brett
New Belgium La Folie - Fantastic Sour Brown Ale

PG2G

fv.JPG

Good pick ups last night

Allagash FV13 - Limited edition foudre wild ale
Telegraph Gypsy - Rye, Plum, and Brett
New Belgium La Folie - Fantastic Sour Brown Ale

Where'd you get the Allagash? Might make a stop on the way home from work. I saw it in stock at Total Wine, but if Wholefoods or somewhere more convenient has it i'd rather go there lol.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
v3XEvBU.jpg

Rather pricey, but coming from my favourite brewery (Bosteels) I really want to try this. I'll pop it for my birthday perhaps.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silva Stout - Good, not too much barrel character. A little bit less complex than I was hoping for.

Barrel Aged Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout - Very rich and complex, but very boozy and needs time to mellow, I think.

Hunahpu's - Thinner mouthfeel than I was expecting after the KLSS. Interesting flavors, but maybe not as amazing as advertised.

2012 Sucaba - Very very malty. I couldn't finish a bottle of this alone, even though I did when it was fresh. I don't think I care too much for English Barleywine, though.

Lost Abbey Red Poppy - Has a very odd cotton candy aroma. Flavor is good, but not as complex as Cuvee des Jacobins and the sourness might need more time to develop. Finish is quite malty.

1 Year Birthday party for The Pine Box tonight. Fremont made a Imperial Stout for the event, and they're pulling out kegs from the cellar.

Firestone Walker Sucaba
Fremont Pine Box Anniversary Imperial Stout!
Hair of the Dog Adam
Logsdon Oak Aged Bretta <-- OH HELL YES
New Belgium / Lost Abbey Mo Betta Bretta
Russian River Supplication
Schooner Exact No Sacc Sour
Stone Oak Smoked Old Guardian
Tilquin Geuze

edit: Huh, they just updated the tap list for the night:
http://pineboxbar.com/

mcfrank

1 Year Birthday party for The Pine Box tonight. Fremont made a Imperial Stout for the event, and they're pulling out kegs from the cellar.

Firestone Walker Sucaba
Fremont Pine Box Anniversary Imperial Stout!
Hair of the Dog Adam
Logsdon Oak Aged Bretta <-- OH HELL YES
New Belgium / Lost Abbey Mo Betta Bretta
Russian River Supplication
Schooner Exact No Sacc Sour
Stone Oak Smoked Old Guardian
Tilquin Geuze

edit: Huh, they just updated the tap list for the night:
http://pineboxbar.com/

Holy crap that is a good tap list.

Where'd you get the Allagash? Might make a stop on the way home from work. I saw it in stock at Total Wine, but if Wholefoods or somewhere more convenient has it i'd rather go there lol.

I got it at Beverage Warehouse in Marina del Rey, though they only got 6 or 12 bottles in and I believe are sold out. I'll keep an eye out in my normal Pasadena spots and grab you a bottle if I see it or I am sure we can work out a bottle share with one of the Cantillion bottles you got sometime =).

codhand

photo10x60.jpg

pretty excited for these, not sure anyone will recognize them but...

Bourbon Barrel Aged - Imperial Stout Trooper, and Rum Barrel Aged - Premeditated Murder barleywine, called Attempted Redrum.

about 2000 bottles in existence

Question -

When you are looking at some of the fancier beers, like say a Coffee Porter, and you read something like "infused coffee flavor", what does that even mean?

I like coffee, I like porters, but it gives me the image of assembly line cheap pre-made syrup or something being jettisoned into the bottle for taste. Hopefully I'm very wrong.

Chris R

Has anyone tried Stone's "Enjoy By"? Should be getting the 4.20.13 in soon.

Also couldn't find the Game of Thrones beer :( oh well.

Seth C

Nice, let me know which one wins for you. Think I'm going to crack an Avery Maharaja tonight.

Hopslam - The accessible double ipa. Comparing it side by side reminds me of how balanced it it.

Dreadnaught - Hopslam with more bite. It's balanced the way a black ipa is. The sweetness and the bitterness hit individually.

Galaxy - Dedicated to the hop it is brewed with. It tastes a bit (more the smell influencing the taste) of old fur initially, but as it warmed up the fruit flavors came forward. The driest of all four.

Alchemy Hour - the most unique of all of them. It clearly had a higher malt bill. More unfermented sugars, and a heavier body and mouth feel. It wouldn't be the one I'd go to every night, but when drinking for comparison it may have been my favorite.

Yes Boss!

Beer for tonight and I'm assuming tomorrow since I'll probably only make it through three or so. Last time I had Maximus was last summer when I stopped in the brewery in Petaluma.

B960CC6D-FA1B-4D53-9F39-88AF7D62DEA1-5819-0000067A6A3A9AE0.jpg

PG2G

I got it at Beverage Warehouse in Marina del Rey, though they only got 6 or 12 bottles in and I believe are sold out. I'll keep an eye out in my normal Pasadena spots and grab you a bottle if I see it or I am sure we can work out a bottle share with one of the Cantillion bottles you got sometime =).

Haha, damn. Yeah they are sold out, so is Total Wine. I guess I need to keep a better eye out for this stuff. Would love to trade with ya, but I'd probably only be willing to with something I've tried before or if I had doubles :p

Edit: And goddamn, Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich is fantastic

VALIS

ipas go great with this bag of chocolate chips next to my computer.

Belgians, man! Belgian Strong Ales, Dubbels, Tripels, Saisons with chocolate... hoo-ah.

I tend to like IPAs better with salty food. Or blander food like salads so the tastes aren't really competing.

Speaking of IPAs, the more I have it (like tonight), the more Green Flash West Coast IPA is becoming one of my favorites. That stuff is pungent.

ianswoody

Speaking of IPAs, the more I have it (like tonight), the more Green Flash West Coast IPA is becoming one of my favorites. That stuff is pungent.

I've got a bottle of their Palate Wrecker in the fridge right now. I'm thinking it will make a wonderful end to my workday.

Hey Northeastern drinkers! I moved to Rochester, NY about 3 months ago and I've had some great beers since I've moved up here, but I'm always looking for more suggestions of stuff I couldn't get down in South Carolina. All styles welcome!

codhand

I've got a bottle of their Palate Wrecker in the fridge right now. I'm thinking it will make a wonderful end to my workday.

Hey Northeastern drinkers! I moved to Rochester, NY about 3 months ago and I've had some great beers since I've moved up here, but I'm always looking for more suggestions of stuff I couldn't get down in South Carolina. All styles welcome!

Yeah, tons of breweries in upstate new york, you should basically take some growlers and make a field trip to a few.

I just found this pdf link, pretty awesome.

Genesee is like a staple of the Rochester diet no?

aceface

Great upstate NY breweries off the top of my head...

Southern Tier
Ithaca Beer Co.
Middle Ages Brewing out of Syracuse (love their Impaled Ale)
Saranac is a bigger regional brewer but they have some good beers. Lake Placid Beers and most Brooklyn Beers are also brewed at the Saranac brewery in Utica, NY.
Ommegang in Cooperstown.
Cooperstown Brewing also has some good beers.

You can also get out of state beers like Stone, Founders, Dogfish head, and Great Lakes brewing quite easily upstate. All in all a great region for beer, enjoy!

codhand

Great upstate NY breweries off the top of my head...

Southern Tier
Ithaca Beer Co.
Middle Ages Brewing out of Syracuse (love their Impaled Ale)
Saranac is a bigger regional brewer but they have some good beers. Lake Placid Beers and most Brooklyn Beers are also brewed at the Saranac brewery in Utica, NY.
Ommegang in Cooperstown.
Cooperstown Brewing also has some good beers.

You can also get out of state beers like Stone, Founders, and Dogfish head quite easily upstate. All in all a great region for beer, enjoy!

I co-sign Middle Ages, and it's close to you. Would love to go there.

Anybody tried this stuff?

Fegley's Triple IPA, from Allentown, PA. I don't remember seeing it before but picked up a bottle on a whim and MAN is it good. 11.5% so I was prepared for that high alcohol, covered up with lots of hops taste. But it's actually really well balanced and complex. Fantastic stuff.

Gotta be careful drinking this stuff! It does not taste like 11.5%. Oh and it was a "cheap" bottle for a quality single around here - $3.50.

Tonight it's this (followed by a Dogfish 90) plus Monster Hunter.

Anybody tried this stuff?

Fegley's Triple IPA, from Allentown, PA. I don't remember seeing it before but picked up a bottle on a whim and MAN is it good. 11.5% so I was prepared for that high alcohol, covered up with lots of hops taste. But it's actually really well balanced and complex. Fantastic stuff.

Gotta be careful drinking this stuff! It does not taste like 11.5%.

Tonight it's this (followed by a Dogfish 90) plus Monster Hunter.
I go to the Brewworks in Bethlehem a couple of times of year. Great beer selection. Their Punkin Ale is to die for.

I'm currently sucking down a sixer of Lancaster Brewing Pale Ale. Awesome beer, first time I bought it.

Top Bottom