• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure Smithwicks has more flavor than Guinness. Guinness Draught is pretty much like water but the dark color does things with people's heads. :lol

Seanspeed

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
What's the hoppiest beer you've ever had prior?

Hops are, in fact, the closest botanical relative to cannabis. Just like with that stuff, you need to raise the threshold slowly.
Uh....what?

Anyways, I prefer not to drink the stuff because it doesn't taste good. I see no reason to pain myself with 'getting used' to it when there's plenty of other beer that tastes good NOW.

Ok BeerGaf, I'm hanging out with some belgium dudes and they keep saying that Stella Artois is the best cheap bear they can drink in Belgium.

I always though Stella was a bad beer like Bud (light, no taste, etc) but they seems to know much more about beer than I do (erf, I only drink Heineken and they just hate it)

So, what do you think about Stella ? Heneiken ?

Big-E

Stella is fine but know that it is cheap. There is nothing wrong with cheap beer as sometimes, it is what is needed for the situation. Comparing Stella to the higher end of the spectrum is not something that you would want to do but Stella is dependable if you are looking for cheap. Heineken I am not enamored with and don't really have it too often as I would rather drink Carlsberg which is of a similar price range.

Seanspeed said:
Uh....what?

Anyways, I prefer not to drink the stuff because it doesn't taste good. I see no reason to pain myself with 'getting used' to it when there's plenty of other beer that tastes good NOW.

What what?

The thing about hop flavor is that it's a harsh flavor that our brains and taste buds are not at all familiar with outside of beer. This causes us to go "eugh... gross!" when there's a lot of hops and when people describe a "beery" flavor that's usually what they're talking about. However, once you get used to and can clearly break down and understand hop flavors, it becomes one of the most satisfying flavors in the world. Nothing is more refreshing than a blast of hops.

UnluckyKate said:
Ok BeerGaf, I'm hanging out with some belgium dudes and they keep saying that Stella Artois is the best cheap bear they can drink in Belgium.

I always though Stella was a bad beer like Bud (light, no taste, etc) but they seems to know much more about beer than I do (erf, I only drink Heineken and they just hate it)

So, what do you think about Stella ? Heneiken ?

Stella is more or less the same pale lager you're getting with Bud, etc. with a fancy label slapped on it. So is Heineken. The main difference may be there are more adjuncts used in bud/miller/coors, but really when you're talking about these mass-produced mass-marketed beers with expensive TV ads, a person preferring one beer over another is more brand association/loyalty than anything else.

HiResDes

HappyBivouac said:
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure Smithwicks has more flavor than Guinness. Guinness Draught is pretty much like water but the dark color does things with people's heads. :lol
I drink Guinness Extra Stout, but you're right about the Draught....Smithwicks is one of my favorite beers ever though, I can drink 12 of them easily if not stopped and it's never good being as small as I am :lol

HiResDes

Seanspeed said:
Uh....what?

It really doesn't take that long...I had a sixpack of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, and I swear after drinking the first two of them I slowly but surely started to get used to the hop overload...And by the last one I loving it, and no I wasn't drunk as this went on throughout the week (I drank my SNPA as a session beer instead).

Giard

HiResDes said:
I'd try Smithwicks first, and then eventually graduate to Guinness.

Thank you for the help. I'm not sure I'll find Smithwicks easily, Guinness no prob. I'll be sure to taste some.

If anyone else could help, it would be really appreciated! Looking for good beer with little carbonation.

Giard said:
Hey guys, I love the taste of beer, however I loathe carbonation. I can't even drink Coke.
What would you suggest to a beginner who hates carbonation?

Some beers I've tried that I enjoyed...not counting carbonation
Leffe, Newcastle Brown Ale, Rickard's White/Blue Moon, Péché Mortel.

Carbonation killed La Fin du Monde for me....but it's been a while, maybe I would appreciate it more nowadays.

I'd look into stouts and porters. Those are generally on the low end of carbonation. Also, see if any local brewpubs have a cask conditioned ale as that should also be low carbonation. I would avoid most of the common Belgian Styles as they tend to be quite carbed, like the Fin du Monde.

Leatherface

HappyBivouac said:

Guinness Extra Stout my friend. :wink

Giard

Just tried out Smithwick's, actually found it at the closest grocery store.
Not bad, a little bitter, kinda smells skunkish. :lol Definitely drinkable. Having difficulty identifying the fruity part...but I could say that for most beers.

I got a Heineken as well, for comparison's sake. Didn't like it. Too fizzy, watery. Don't know why it's so popular.

Leatherface said:
Guinness Extra Stout my friend. :wink

I've had that beer on several occasions. There are way better stouts out there for the money. To me Guinness extra stout has a weird metallic flavor every time.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
photo-1.jpg

Here is a nut brown ale that my dad and I brewed together. It's really fucking good.

Nose Master

Recommendations for a new beer? I realize a lot of these are regional so, WI. I don't like darker beers. Recently enjoyed Fireside Nut Brown, though.

Stalfos

Nose Master said:
Recommendations for a new beer? I realize a lot of these are regional so, WI. I don't like darker beers. Recently enjoyed Fireside Nut Brown, though.
My wife and I recently got the Fireside and liked it. You ever have Rogue Hazelnut Brown? If you liked the Fireside I think you would like that as well. Don't know if Rogue distributes nationwide though.

HiResDes

Last night I had the pleasure to try Rogue's Double Mocha Porter on tap (two glasses) and one glass of Imperial Stout...Both were fantastic, but I have to say I enjoyed the Rogue more overall, here's a short breakdown of what I remember about them

Rogue's Double Mocha Porter
- Extremely dark as expected, nearly chocolate in color, maybe even slightly darker. Somewhat creamy, more complex in taste than expected, with the mocha coming strong only as an aftertaste. very little bitterness, maybe a hint of caramel and surprisingly the hops were still present though very distant. And although the alcohol percentage was only about 7 percent it was rather easy to taste. Normally this would be a knock against the beer, but somehow the alcohol added yet another delicious element to the palette, complimenting the others rather well.

Smuttynose Imperial Stout - About the same color as the RDMP. Very creamy. I instantly tasted the coffee grounds, and then the aftertaste was somewhat metallic with also possibly a hint of caramel. Maybe some hops, but even more distant than the Rogue. The good thing about this beer is that the alcohol percentage was about 9 percent and it was extremely hard to detect. Both beers are mainly for sipping, but I guess it would be easier to down the Imperial, despite the greater abv if one was forced. I'd definitely drink another one of these, but the Rogue captured my heart last night for some reason.

...Also as a small guy, I felt quite buzzed after only three glasses of beer :lol

Anyone here ever used Pintley? Its like a netflix style recommendation service for beer. Kind of fun to mess around with, but its still in beta so there are definately things that could be improved. If anyone is bored and feels like looking at beer pictures, I suggest spending a few minutes to check it out.

HiResDes

sharkmuncher said:
Anyone here ever used Pintley? Its like a netflix style recommendation service for beer. Kind of fun to mess around with, but its still in beta so there are definately things that could be improved. If anyone is bored and feels like looking at beer pictures, I suggest spending a few minutes to check it out.

Idk I think I get better impressions of beer looking at various user reviews on beeradvocate

HiResDes

Giard said:
Just tried out Smithwick's, actually found it at the closest grocery store.
Not bad, a little bitter, kinda smells skunkish. :lol Definitely drinkable. Having difficulty identifying the fruity part...but I could say that for most beers.

I got a Heineken as well, for comparison's sake. Didn't like it. Too fizzy, watery. Don't know why it's so popular.
Fruity? Naw it's not fruity at all...Who said that? :lol

tokkun

Nose Master said:

What have you already tried and what styles do you like? For Wisconsin breweries, I like Ale Asylum and New Glarus. Great Lakes is another good brewery in the Midwest region.

xBigDanx

woodchuck said:
picked up the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. holy shit, flavor overload

Did you like it? Flavor overload, I agree, but I enjoyed it.

I also got Anchor 2010 Christmas Beer.... didn't think much of that one.

HappyBivouac said:
Don't bother buying something that they're selling as a "brew pot." Just get the most affordable pot you can find. Also when you're making 5 gallon batches it is technically best to get all 5 gallons of liquid in the boil in the brew pot, but if you're doing this on your kitchen stove, the issue of being able to heat and keep 5 gallons of liquid at a good constant temperature. I use a 3 gallon pot on my kitchen stove and then top it off to 5 gallons before primary. You'll probably get slightly better flavor though if you can manage to boil the full 5 gallons. A lot of people use a turkey fryer instead of a stove to get the job done.

My plan was just to buy a 30 Quart stainless steel stock pot or something similar. They're only around $50-100 and will easily suit the job. I have a gas stove so I don't think the heat will necessarily be a problem.

As for beer updates, I got the last case of Mad Elf that my beer distributor had left. It's so goddamn delicious. Every year I wait for Mad Elf, and I'm glad I got my hands on it.

KiKaL

2010-11-17_22-08-38_707.jpg

This is what I've been drinking lately. It's my home brewed Pale Ale. I like it a lot but I do need to figure out why the head is they way it is. It's pretty cloudy because I didn't use Irish Moss to help clear it up.

ShinAmano

Siebzehn50 said:
Looks interesting, I might have to check and see if I can find that.
Yeah I am probably going to wait and see what my favorite beer store says about it...also see if the price is less at the beer store than the grocery store i saw it at, but it does seem like something to try.

xBigDanx

JodyAnthony said:
man, I wish I had the space to brew my own beer.

you dont need very much space. I just made 2 batches over the weekend. Space wise I needed my kitchen sink and the stovetop. Then I just need room to store a big bucket for fermenting for a couple of weeks.

If it was something that took up lots of space, I'd def hear it from my wife. But she actually encourages the hobby

Stalfos

JodyAnthony said:
man, I wish I had the space to brew my own beer.
It doesn't really take too much space, my brother started recently and he just keeps the carboy in his closet for fermentation and moves it to the kitchen when he needs do other stuff.

IMAG0011.jpg

Enjoying a bit of my home brewed raspberry stout. Great flavor, a bit overcarbed, which is a bummer as I think it would be great as a low-carbonation beer, nice and smooth. Great, but subtle raspberry flavor with a good stout body. ~7.2%

xBigDanx said:
you dont need very much space. I just made 2 batches over the weekend. Space wise I needed my kitchen sink and the stovetop. Then I just need room to store a big bucket for fermenting for a couple of weeks.

If it was something that took up lots of space, I'd def hear it from my wife. But she actually encourages the hobby
maybe i'll clean out a closet and stash stuff there...

what is a good intro resource?

JodyAnthony said:
maybe i'll clean out a closet and stash stuff there...

what is a good intro resource?

I started Here. I would read this if you are at all interested in homebrewing. It is short, informative and free. Then I moved to this and this.

Also, try homebrewtalk

You can also try some place like midwest supply where you just just order an extract kit that has malt, specialty grain, hops, yeast and instructions and make some damn good beer. You can also get all the supplies there too. Another excellent resource is to see if there is a home brew supply store where you live. You would be surprised at how many of them there are even in smaller towns.

Leatherface

HappyBivouac said:
I've had that beer on several occasions. There are way better stouts out there for the money. To me Guinness extra stout has a weird metallic flavor every time.

I've also had many stouts (it's one of my favorite types of beer) and Guinness Extra Stout is definitely in my top 10 maybe even top 5.

Ice cold Guinness Extra Stout = Heavenly

Amory

Just had a couple Dogfish Head 90 minute IPAs. One of my favorite beers. I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread at one point or another but, I highly recommend it!

HiResDes said:
Last night I had the pleasure to try Rogue's Double Mocha Porter on tap (two glasses) and one glass of Imperial Stout...Both were fantastic, but I have to say I enjoyed the Rogue more overall, here's a short breakdown of what I remember about them

Rogue's Double Mocha Porter
- Extremely dark as expected, nearly chocolate in color, maybe even slightly darker. Somewhat creamy, more complex in taste than expected, with the mocha coming strong only as an aftertaste. very little bitterness, maybe a hint of caramel and surprisingly the hops were still present though very distant. And although the alcohol percentage was only about 7 percent it was rather easy to taste. Normally this would be a knock against the beer, but somehow the alcohol added yet another delicious element to the palette, complimenting the others rather well.

Imperial Stout - About the same color as the RDMP. Very creamy. I instantly tasted the coffee grounds, and then the aftertaste was somewhat metallic with also possibly a hint of caramel. Maybe some hops, but even more distant than the Rogue. The good thing about this beer is that the alcohol percentage was about 9 percent and it was extremely hard to detect. Both beers are mainly for sipping, but I guess it would be easier to down the Imperial, despite the greater abv if one was forced. I'd definitely drink another one of these, but the Rogue captured my heart last night for some reason.

...Also as a small guy, I felt quite buzzed after only three glasses of beer :lol

Nice impressions. I've been wanting to try the double mocha porter but rogue prices are jacked way up around here. I think a bomber of that is like 11.99

Also Imperial Stout is entire style category of beer. A lot of breweries make an Imperial Stout without applying a special name to it. Do you recall the name of the brewery this particular stout came from?

AcridMeat

Banned
Freshly turned 21 this week (Tuesday) so I can finally contribute to this thread.

Because of finals I haven't been able to go out at all but I celebrated by having Anchor Steam with dinner. Then a whole lot of champagne. :lol

My beer exposure is what my dad gets for home so it's not all top end but I really like Spaten Premium. Birra Moretti, Peroni, Pilsner Urquell and Carlsberg Elephant Beer are among the usual rotation. I know I'm missing one or two others.

Top Bottom