• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Been drinking some Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. I'm too much of a pussy to try the 90, as the 120 almost made me ill. So far I've liked Flying Dog (local brewery for me) Doggy Style and Raging Bitch better, the former of which won best American beer from NYT :D

HiResDes

HappyBivouac said:
Nice impressions. I've been wanting to try the double mocha porter but rogue prices are jacked way up around here. I think a bomber of that is like 11.99

Also Imperial Stout is entire style category of beer. A lot of breweries make an Imperial Stout without applying a special name to it. Do you recall the name of the brewery this particular stout came from?

Smutty? That's what my friend said it was...

154370_10150136510028712_136444978711_8008830_8349881_n.jpg

Fuck, I want to try some of the Sierra Nevada selection, wish I can find them in Canada(Ontario).

With that said, I got some new loot, will post pictures tomorrow.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I had Montelena napa cab, 2006. Suck it, beer snobs!!!

OT- I made food last night using coors light in a can and it turned out wonderful. Even bad beer can be put to good use.

otake said:
I had Montelena napa cab, 2006. Suck it, beer snobs!!!

OT- I made food last night using coors light in a can and it turned out wonderful. Even bad beer can be put to good use.

This is true. As much as I love good beer, a cheap yellow beer such as PBR is really the best choice when cooking certain things. Beer brats boiled in butter, onions and PBR is one of my favorite meals. Don't get me wrong, making a beer bread with a nice amber ale (porter if you are feeling adventurous) is also a great treat.

Had Ska's winter pale ale (Euphoria) last night and was really impressed. Tasted very similar to Oskar Blue's Dale's Pale Ale which I am unable to get here so I will be stocking up on Ska while it lasts.

Also, has anyone tried that Sam Adams/(forget who they collaborated with) Infinium. I think I might have to pick one up tonight. The store I go to got 3 cases and I guess they expect to sell out of it tonight or tomorrow so I figure I might as well give it a go while it's here.

gcubed

so.. finally got the buy off from the wife and have some friends that got me a place to brew in a warehouse they have... have to work through licensing so i can start making small batches to give out to bars in order to get tap space then have to finalize funding on a system, but hopefully by fall of next year i'll have my first large batch out the door and in some bars!

gcubed said:
so.. finally got the buy off from the wife and have some friends that got me a place to brew in a warehouse they have... have to work through licensing so i can start making small batches to give out to bars in order to get tap space then have to finalize funding on a system, but hopefully by fall of next year i'll have my first large batch out the door and in some bars!

Hey congrats! Living out every homebrewers dream. Hope everything works out!

gcubed

sharkmuncher said:
Hey congrats! Living out every homebrewers dream. Hope everything works out!

thanks! we shall see, looking at roughly a 6 month severance from my current job (looks like March will be my current end date, wonderful corporate america)... so i have a few months to dedicate fully to planning/prep/business before i need to get back to work. Going to definitely be an after work and weekends things for the first year or so... i plan on being exhausted.

xBigDanx

gcubed said:

I'm sure you've looked into it and I know it's different from state to state.. but just in case -
Make sure you research everything. A lot of states do not allow direct manufacturer to merchant selling - they require you to go through a distributor. Also, many states do not allow "giving out" of alcohol.

May be different where you are (I'm also going with the very American assumption that you are in the US :) )

But other than that, congrats! I'm hoping to be in the same position in the next few years

Leatherface

gcubed said:

This is fantastic man! Good luck to you and make sure to keep us in the loop on your progress. I hope this all works out for you. :)

gcubed

xBigDanx said:
I'm sure you've looked into it and I know it's different from state to state.. but just in case -
Make sure you research everything. A lot of states do not allow direct manufacturer to merchant selling - they require you to go through a distributor. Also, many states do not allow "giving out" of alcohol.

May be different where you are (I'm also going with the very American assumption that you are in the US :) )

But other than that, congrats! I'm hoping to be in the same position in the next few years

fortunately for me, which made it an easier decision, PA does allow direct selling, which is a major hurdle down. PA also does allow "giving out" but you still have to have a stated price for what you gifted and pay the taxes on that, so it actually costs me taxes to give it out. Also have to license the beer with the state LCB which is basically just a flat fee per year. Uncle Sam has to get his money at every turn

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
giving up guiness because i think i'm now amune to the shit :lol had 9 cans of it a few weeks ago then hit a club still feeling sober.. its a sad day cause i love everything about guinness.

HiResDes

Okay before I make this post, let me just say how much I've loved every other Rogue beer I've tried and I'm not trying to be contrarian whatsoever

Rogue Dead Guy Ale - Scent smelled very promising, near-hickory, malty, and dare I say somewhat sweet. I poured a little of it out of the bottle to see that it was much darker than I expected, almost like burnt orange. When I first tasted it I didn't really notice anything special whatsoever, but I could at least tell that it was extremely drinkable and very malty. And as I kept drinking them, they went down very easy the flavors started to come out a bit more. I could taste the hops quite well but still I didn't find anything particularly special about this beer. I have to say I think I'd rather have a Shiner Bock, as I found the flavors to be somewhat comparable. Overall this beer completely bored me, especially in comparison to Rogue's other offerings. And at ten bucks a sixpack, I don't think I'll be trying it again unless someone else offers.

Went to Latona Pub on Friday night, had a pint of Dick's Winter Ale (extremely smooth, but a little too sweet for a winter ale) and the Super Goose IPA (really enjoyed it).

HiResDes said:
Okay before I make this post, let me just say how much I've loved every other Rogue beer I've tried and I'm not trying to be contrarian whatsoever

Nothing wrong with your review at all. Dead Guy is Rogue's standard "six-pack at the grocery store" beer, it pales in comparison to their other varieties.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
distantmantra said:
Nothing wrong with your review at all. Dead Guy is Rogue's standard "six-pack at the grocery store" beer, it pales in comparison to their other varieties.

Other than saying it tastes like Shiner? I'm not a fan of Rogue but yikes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was at a company Christmas party last night and they had Jubelale on tap. I liked it a lot in the bottle, but damn, it sure is nice on tap! I wish I could get it more often.

Zefah said:
I was at a company Christmas party last night and they had Jubelale on tap. I liked it a lot in the bottle, but damn, it sure is nice on tap! I wish I could get it more often.

We're getting a free keg of Jubelale for the family Christmas party from our friend the Deschutes brewmaster. :D

dk_ said:
Just to be clear: German beer beats everything, you can't argue with that.

I'm German and i prefer Czech beer. The average German Pilser tastes rather bland and samey. Of course you can get great beer from all the tiny breweries but i think that's true for a lot of countries.

WorriedCitizen said:
I'm German and i prefer Czech beer. The average German Pilser tastes rather bland and samey. Of course you can get great beer from all the tiny breweries but i think that's true for a lot of countries.

Yeah Germany is good at what they do but they don't get too creative.

And thats a good point about micro brews. I can only judge a country by what I can buy in my own country. I'd agree Czech is better.

So who's been getting into some winter beers? I've had some Innis and Gunn winter beer and now I desperately wish I could buy it stand alone here in Canada (its only available in a sampler pack).

HiResDes

-PXG- said:
Have any of you tried this?

http://thefullpint.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/DortmunderBottle.jpg/IMG]

My brother claims it's the best beer on Earth.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/228"]Reviews[/URL]

Triz

Still havent been able to find any Lagunitas Cappucino Stout around here this year. Its the December seasonal and these damn stores arent stocking it yet. Best damn Stout you can get.

364.jpg

tokkun

-PXG- said:
Have any of you tried this?

My brother claims it's the best beer on Earth.

I can't recall if I've tried that one before; if so, it wasn't that memorable. But Great Lakes brews a lot of high quality beers. Holy Moses is the best white ale I've had, and Edmund Fitzgerald is a pretty solid porter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
I don't like Pilsners (or Lagers), so I'd have a hard time believing that argument.

The first beers I drank we Pilsners and Lagers and I was never a huge fan. It was until I first tried Guinness Draught that I started to enjoy beer. Now my favorite types of beer are definitely Porters, Stouts and various types of Ales. I find Lagers in particular to be way too bland and uninteresting.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
dk_ said:

Lately, all the beer I've had has been Becks Light. It's supposedly the bud light of Europe ( ha inbev bought Bush!) but I like it a lot.

Zefah said:
The first beers I drank we Pilsners and Lagers and I was never a huge fan. It was until I first tried Guinness Draught that I started to enjoy beer. Now my favorite types of beer are definitely Porters, Stouts and various types of Ales. I find Lagers in particular to be way too bland and uninteresting.

I'm all about the hops, so my favorites are Pales and IPAs. Porters and stouts are too dark for me.

xBigDanx

Would anyone be interested in starting up a beer trading system? I know there are quite a few beers I just can't get in New Jersey and I'm guessing there are beers I can get here that others can't.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
I'm all about the hops, so my favorites are Pales and IPAs. Porters and stouts are too dark for me.

I absolutely love Deschute's Hop Trip (it's easily one of my top-3 favorite beers), but I haven't been able to find anything equally enjoyable. I imagine there are some Pale Ales or IPAs out there that have a similar taste, but please recommend some of your favorites so I might give them a try.

S. L.

otake said:
Lately, all the beer I've had has been Becks Light. It's supposedly the bud light of Europe ( ha inbev bought Bush!) but I like it a lot.
I don't think they sell that in Germany :lol

dk_ said:

How much do you actually know about the topic about which you're making extremely bold and highly debatable statements?

A lot of times a good hefeweizen, doppelbock or weizenbock can be the best thing, but I still think that today the US is the "best" producer of good beer overall. Sure some of that is due to sheer land mass and population, but that's the way it is. We've got so many amazing breweries that knock it out of the park all the time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HappyBivouac said:
How much do you actually know about the topic about which you're making extremely bold and highly debatable statements?

A lot of times a good hefeweizen, doppelbock or weizenbock can be the best thing, but I still think that today the US is the "best" producer of good beer overall. Sure some of that is due to sheer land mass and population, but that's the way it is. We've got so many amazing breweries that knock it out of the park all the time.

I'm sure if I actually went to Germany and had some local brews, I would encounter something amazing, but as far as for what I can get in the states, I can't say that German beer is the best. I've had some great Weihenstephaner and Warsteiner brews, but I definitely wouldn't call them my favorites.

My favorite beers tend to come from micro breweries (mostly local Pacific Northwest ones) or Belgium (Chimay, etc..).

Zefah said:
I'm sure if I actually went to Germany and had some local brews, I would encounter something amazing, but as far as for what I can get in the states, I can't say that German beer is the best. I've had some great Weihenstephaner and Warsteiner brews, but I definitely wouldn't call them my favorites.

My favorite beers tend to come from micro breweries (mostly local Pacific Northwest ones) or Belgium (Chimay, etc..).

Wehenstephan is considered by many to be the best German beer inside and outside of Germany. Their Hefeweizen is world class in my opinion. So is their "Vitus" Weizenbock.

edit: not that I'm telling you your tastes are wrong or some bullshit like that. Just that maybe German beer isn't your favorite since what many consider to be the best didn't impress you.

Top Bottom