• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

There's someone among my untappd friends, who I assume must be a GAFfer, who had more than 60 beers in the past 24 hours.

How?

Even if it's just small amounts for a tasting, I'd be dead after that.

Either a bunch of retroactive checkins, tiny samples, a beer festival and/or they are already dead.

KingGondo

Banned
Beer-GAF, I beg of you--if you can get this beer in your area, run to the nearest store and buy it up.

prairie-bomb-beer.jpg

http://www.passionbeer.com/2013/08/28/review-prairie-bomb/

No exaggeration: this is one of the best beers I've ever had, and I'm proud that it's made in my home state of Oklahoma. Truly wonderful stuff.

fijim

Banned
Beer-GAF, I beg of you--if you can get this beer in your area, run to the nearest store and buy it up.

No exaggeration: this is one of the best beers I've ever had, and I'm proud that it's made in my home state of Oklahoma. Truly wonderful stuff.

I have had the chance to try it, it is great!

Not easy to get where I am though, a very limited amount made it here and sold out right away.

KingGondo

Banned
I have had the chance to try it, it is great!

Not easy to get though.
They're apparently putting out a new release of it next week, I'm gonna try and buy all I can. Thankfully I live in OKC so there should be plenty of stores stocking it.

Their other beers are quite nice as well. Funky Galaxy is a particular favorite of mine.

KingGondo

Banned
Also, they have awesome labels and charming marketing.

Wish they'd go public so I could buy some stock. Maybe I need to move to Tulsa and get a job there.

Milchjon

Finally had Prairie Hop recently. It was awesome, even though I didn't (think I'd) like the style before and it wasn't all that fresh. I wonder how good it would've been like 6 months earlier, considering we head it in our store for like 4 months now and it took a detour via Mikkeller before that.

t-ramp

They're apparently putting out a new release of it next week, I'm gonna try and buy all I can. Thankfully I live in OKC so there should be plenty of stores stocking it.

Their other beers are quite nice as well. Funky Galaxy is a particular favorite of mine.
I wasn't that impressed with Funky Galaxy, but Eliza5beth was fantastic. I would definitely buy Bomb!, but apparently the most recent release didn't come to Iowa.

After work today I stopped by the liquor store and ended up getting some more pseudoSue (7% ABV this time) as well as a bottle of Saint Botolph's Town from Pretty Things. I didn't bother checking the reviews for the latter, since I trust Pretty Things, but after a quick check just now, it sounds like a good one.

I'd be down for a trade if you want to! N.KY gets some Prairie but I'm pretty sure this won't be coming in. I'm in Cincy so anything available in OH should be doable. Or let me know what style you like and I'm sure we can work something out.

Why the fuck did Prairie have to sign up with Shelton? smh

We're supposed to get Prairie in Seattle at some point, but fucking Shelton Brothers are terrible distributors up here... argh...

terrible

Banned
So I've basically come to the conclusion that 1 year + Schneider Aventinus is the way to go with that beer. It really makes me wonder why they even bother to sell it fresher than that. It's so dramatically better at that age lol. Goes from being "really good" to "world class". Three year Aventinus is close to the best beer I've ever had, and I now have a fairly big aging project going on hah.

codhand

Why the fuck did Prairie have to sign up with Shelton? smh

We're supposed to get Prairie in Seattle at some point, but fucking Shelton Brothers are terrible distributors up here... argh...

Shelton Bros, i always imagine are like this mafioso duo. They control so much shit.

Shelton BROooS!! [shakes fist at sky]

KingGondo

Banned
Just talked to my local liquor store, they put me on a list for the new release of Bomb! for next week.

Also, apparently tomorrow they'll be getting in a verrrrrry limited supply of Spectrum, which was brewed in support of autism research.

PrairieArtisanAlesPrairieSpectrum.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to snag some and report back.

Shelton Bros, i always imagine are like this mafioso duo. They control so much shit.

Shelton BROooS!! [shakes fist at sky]

The things I've heard about their agreement with the Seattle distributor that works with them makes me think the mafia description is fairly accurate.

codhand

picked up a bottle of this. this is the only pic i can find of it,
This is the regular Leipziger Gose filtered through pine twigs and the idea comes from the traditional Finland "Sahti" style beer that is filtered through juniper twigs. The result is allowing the gose to take on some sour aspects along with some pine aspects.

sounds crazy, can't wait to crack this one...

Doomsayer

So yesterday I lined up at Tustin Brewery and got me some Pliny the Younger. It's my second time having it - and it tasted much better this time around.

Also had some Consecration on tap, it was glorious. I was also on the news!

http://ktla.com/2014/02/19/beer-lovers-line-up-in-tustin-for-taste-of-pliny-the-younger/

I'm the ginger in the video, TV time achieved!

Myself and two of my friends turned it into a little bottle share before Pliny was tapped (3 PM).

We opened; a Vanilla Noir, Almanac Sourdough Wild Ale and Valley of the Hearts Delight, Big Bad Baptist, Pugachev's Cobra, Matt's Burning Rosids, Founders Breakfast Stout, and Melange 9 from the Bruery (Hoarders exclusive).

It was a good day.

dabomb4944

Neo Member

Would love to trade as well only thing I have left of value is a bottle of BCBS let me know.

bowery

its tough to buy any other quadrupel when I can get ommegang three philosophers at 7.99 for a 750ml....huge bang for your buck

PG2G

Rochefort 8 kind of ruined the other quads for me. In the rare event that I feel like a quad nowadays, I'll probably go with that. Even though it costs like $5.99 for a 375ml

Cr0wn0

Anyone have black note? I've never had it but I'm not sure its worth the nightmare to get a pour. Tapping is happening in a tiny bar here and the last few years it's been nuts.

fijim

Banned
Anyone have black note? I've never had it but I'm not sure its worth the nightmare to get a pour. Tapping is happening in a tiny bar here and the last few years it's been nuts.

I have had it once and thought it was great, but I only had a small pour and had several other barrel aged beers that day so it was hard to fully appreciate. If you can manage to get to the bar early and get a pour, I would say it is worth it.

2xone_landing.jpg

So this at a store. Has anyone tried it? I cant find anything about it online, but I am intrigued.

EDIT: Nevermind. Finally found something. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/111830/
Looks like Mosaic is the new Citra. Might give this a shot but I'm waiting for Great Lakes Chillwave (formerly Alchemy Hour) to come out in about 2 weeks. I think that one really got the Mosaic hype going (and it was damn good).

Mosaic is incredibly different than Citra, so hopefully people realize that going in. Blueberries, passion fruit, kinda soapy. Excellent hop variety, but not citrus forward at all like Citra.

Had Reuben's new triple IPA Blimey That's Bitter! today. Packed full of the Holy Trinity: Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra.

Defyler

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Bell's two hearted ale. Current go to for the last few weeks.

I did get fairly lucky though and ran into a sixer of Bell's Hopslam two weeks ago. Still as delicious as ever. Also had some Surly abrasive on hand to compare which was really interesting.

Pliny the elder and younger remain on the life bucket list.

Mosaic is incredibly different than Citra, so hopefully people realize that going in. Blueberries, passion fruit, kinda soapy. Excellent hop variety, but not citrus forward at all like Citra.

Had Reuben's new triple IPA Blimey That's Bitter! today. Packed full of the Holy Trinity: Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra.
Definitely. Just meant as in the new trendy hop that everyone wants. Alchemy Hour was quite a surprise when it came out.

Prairie comes to Seattle on March 6th. Let's see how Shelton treats us with them.

New Almanac sours next week, too. Sounds like they're going to focus exclusively on their barrel projects now. Kinda surprised that we (WA) got them before OR.

Top Bottom