• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PG2G

More weekend pick UPS. If you ever see Bitter Monk, buy it. One of my favorites that I tried last year, it is just so damn good

VMrZkpP.jpg

t-ramp

Just picked up Stone's Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA, a bottle of Cascara Quad from New Belgium (on sale for $5, why not), and a six-pack of an Iowa beer, West O's Pilsner Lager.

I was thinking about getting some Bitter Monk, but forgot to look. I think I've passed on it before mostly due to the price.

So yesterday I lined up at Tustin Brewery and got me some Pliny the Younger. It's my second time having it - and it tasted much better this time around.

I'm the ginger in the video, TV time achieved!

Tustin wasn't too bad last year but when I got the vibe it was going to be crazier this year, I didn't bother to go. I went to Hollingshead a couple of years ago and got a mug when they were still doing large glass pours. That was good enough for me. No more lines for the stuff.

Heh. And now that I know what you look like, if I see you around, I'll say hi. :)

bowery

i guess just a personal preference, pick up sculpin 6er for 14 buck vs 17 bucks for hopslam....drank the hopslam a few weeks past the bottle date, maybe drinking it more fresh would of changed my opinion

i guess just a personal preference, pick up sculpin 6er for 14 buck vs 17 bucks for hopslam....drank the hopslam a few weeks past the bottle date, maybe drinking it more fresh would of changed my opinion
I agree. Hopslam is good, but not worth the fuss over the limited release. Good hop character, but very sweet with a sticky mouthfeel. I'd like it better if it finished a few points lower. Sculpin isn't my favorite, either, but I do prefer it to Hopslam.

sculpin > hopslam
Too different to compare for me. I can drink 4 Sculpins in a sitting. Ain't doing that w/ HopSlam. Now Sculpin vs. Lagunitas Sucks... That's a tough one.

Picked up some Southern Tier 2XONE and a Stone Matt's Burning Rosids. I'll be enjoying some of those tonight.

Local place said there is a new Stone session IPA coming this week, but didn't know the name of it. Anyone have info on that? Only Stone thing on my radar is the oak aged Old Guardian, but any IPA from them gets my immediate attention.

t-ramp

Local place said there is a new Stone session IPA coming this week, but didn't know the name of it. Anyone have info on that? Only Stone thing on my radar is the oak aged Old Guardian, but any IPA from them gets my immediate attention.
It's called Go To IPA, I believe. I don't think it's hit stores here in central Iowa yet, or maybe I just missed it.

In any case, I couldn't resist picking up some new beers today. Central Waters just came to Iowa, so I grabbed a 4-pack of their BA barleywine, plus Stone's Old Guardian and a local beer, Raygun IPA from Backpocket Brewing.

codhand

It's called Go To IPA, I believe. I don't think it's hit stores here in central Iowa yet, or maybe I just missed it.

In any case, I couldn't resist picking up some new beers today. Central Waters just came to Iowa, so I grabbed a 4-pack of their BA barleywine, plus Stone's Old Guardian and a local beer, Raygun IPA from Backpocket Brewing.

ah, this is right, my bad, the Slam is not a session.

Interesting.

Ah, Go To must be it. Curious to try it, as I love all the Stone IPAs.

injurai

Banned
I'm still on the hunt of Hopslam though I have been busy.

Really want to pick up some Sculpin, one of my favorite beers for sure. So far I've only had it on draft.

HiResDes

Too different to compare for me. I can drink 4 Sculpins in a sitting. Ain't doing that w/ HopSlam. Now Sculpin vs. Lagunitas Sucks... That's a tough one.

Picked up some Southern Tier 2XONE and a Stone Matt's Burning Rosids. I'll be enjoying some of those tonight.
Hey man, bockfest and a Three Floyds tasting thing are coming up!

Doomsayer

Tustin wasn't too bad last year but when I got the vibe it was going to be crazier this year, I didn't bother to go. I went to Hollingshead a couple of years ago and got a mug when they were still doing large glass pours. That was good enough for me. No more lines for the stuff.

Heh. And now that I know what you look like, if I see you around, I'll say hi. :)

Sounds good! It was pretty crazy, but since we had a little share in the parking lot it made time fly.

I'm not from Tustin, I'm from the La Verne area, but if you ever do see me absolutely say hi!

bowery

I think Two Hearted on draft is their best anyway, that balance, my God.

yeah i had two hearted over the weekend, made a craft your own 6 pack with 2 nugget nectars, 2 two hearted and southern tier live + 2xone
two hearted was definitely the best of the bunch, the bottle design is really really bad though...if i didnt do research beforehand i would have 0 incentive to buy it

Have you had the Grapefruit Slam? I haven't had mine yet, but it sounds like it should be good.
Had one when visiting San Diego a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good. Real bitter with plenty of citrus nose. Pretty dry for such a big beer but the malt pulls through a bit on the back end. Not something I'd drink all the time. But tasty.

Had one when visiting San Diego a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good. Real bitter with plenty of citrus nose. Pretty dry for such a big beer but the malt pulls through a bit on the back end. Not something I'd drink all the time. But tasty.

Just cracked open the bottle now. You have the best description for it. Definitely getting the grapefruit in the aftertaste though, where the bitterness is strong when first sipping it.

Tasty, but not something I will buy again.

codhand

Just cracked open the bottle now. You have the best description for it. Definitely getting the grapefruit in the aftertaste though, where the bitterness is strong when first sipping it.

Tasty, but not something I will buy again.

same, it's cool in that it's a total utter palette wreck, but i like beers that happen to taste like grapefruit not ones that actually are grapefruity.

dekline

Baltika #9 extra strong lager.

Drain pour. Something I rarely ever do. Just awful. Gonna have to wash this down with some port wine or a few Deschutes black butte porters.

codhand

Baltika #9 extra strong lager.

Drain pour. Something I rarely ever do. Just awful. Gonna have to wash this down with some port wine or a few Deschutes black butte porters.

ive had that. yeah it tastes like liquid aspirin.

taj mahal sucks bad too haha.

Time to compare!
Are 2/3 of those exports and one the one for the local market, or is it just turned around?

I doubt it's any different, but trying an export vs local back to back might be interesting too. I've had both, but they were months apart.

Never tried vs Abt12, either. Personally, I'm just happy that Abt12 is available locally and that's good enough for me.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Nice :) Let us know how it goes

Yeah, would love to hear some impressions.

Will do! Sunday two friends are coming over to try it out. We've all had Abt Bernardus 12 before, but none of us had Westvleteren before.

Are 2/3 of those exports and one the one for the local market, or is it just turned around?

I doubt it's any different, but trying an export vs local back to back might be interesting too. I've had both, but they were months apart.

Never tried vs Abt12, either. Personally, I'm just happy that Abt12 is available locally and that's good enough for me.

Well, last week I noticed that a small bottleshop close to me had a crate of Westvleteren. The owner is a total beer geek and reserves most of his shelf space to microbrews from the Netherlands. I think he probably went to the monastry himself. But when I got there yesterday, there was only one bottle left. So I headed up to a bigger store where I got the marked ones. If I recall correctly, the labeled ones are meant for (overseas) sale while the unlabeled ones are sold only via the monastry? I haven't checked the dates yet (if there's any on the bottle) but we'll definitely check if there's a difference between the unlabeled ones and the labeled ones.

To be honest, even if the Westvleteren 12 turns out god-tier and markedly different from Abt Bernardus, I still probably won't regularly get it. It's hard to justify pouring so much money into it when the Abt Bernardus is only €1.80 per bottle while the Westvleteren is between €6 and €12. And Abt Bernardus is already an amazing beer.

fijim

Banned
My last drain pour was also a lager, Taj Mahal

I only drink that when at an Indian restaurant, and even then, it isn't that great.

Gimme some top tier Belgian white reccs.

Avery White Rascal good if possible.

Had Allagash White a few times. Was so-so.

Unibroue Blanche De Chambly

Hitachino Nest White Ale

St. Bernardus WItbier

Crooked Stave St Bretta

I personally think Allagash White is one of the best in the style, better than Avery...so maybe my advice won't help you.

PG2G

I personally think Allagash White is one of the best in the style, better than Avery...so maybe my advice won't help you.

I agree with this. Even among the Belgians I haven't found anything markedly better. Though blonde Belgians dont seem to get picked up as often so I haven't had that many

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Gimme some top tier Belgian white reccs.

Avery White Rascal good if possible.

Had Allagash White a few times. Was so-so.

I have a soft spot for Korenwolf Witbier, from Gulpener. Yes, it's mass-produced, but it has a distinct (and imo lovely) taste. Must be the elderflower extract they use.

La Trappe's witbier is also solid stuff.

Badgerst3

I only drink that when at an Indian restaurant, and even then, it isn't that great.

Unibroue Blanche De Chambly

Hitachino Nest White Ale

St. Bernardus WItbier

Crooked Stave St Bretta

thx guys. I did try and really like bourbon barrel aged Allegash Curieux. Light but strong!

allagash-curieux.jpg

Anyone have recommendations on sour style beers? I've only tried a monk's cafe, but I think I might really like the style.
That's one of my favorites. Maybe check out Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge or Duchesse de Bourgogne.

thx guys. I did try and really like bourbon barrel aged Allegash Curieux. Light but strong!
I thought that one was a little weird. It's clearly Belgian and it's got a distinct barrel character, but the two sides don't blend very well, to me. It's like the beer is missing a middle.

Badgerst3

That's one of my favorites. Maybe check out Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge or Duchesse de Bourgogne.

I thought that one was a little weird. It's clearly Belgian and it's got a distinct barrel character, but the two sides don't blend very well, to me. It's like the beer is missing a middle.

Its pricey too! also forgot about Dogfish Head Namaste. Maybe my favorite Belgian white so far.

What is the next type of beer up from whites to start getting a taste for? I like me a good beer. I had some stouts over the holiday and though tasty- a little heavy for me. After 1-2 I start feeling bloated. Just had Belching Beaver Milk Stout last pm.

Maybe nut browns or Belgian Triples? IPA's are just too bitter to me so far. (ducks flames)

fijim

Banned
yeah I bet you would like Belgian Triples or Belgian Strong Pale Ales

check these out:

Westmalle Tripel
Duvel
Delirium Tremens
Goose Island Matilda
Unibroue La Fin Du Monde

Also you may really like Saisons,

check out Ommegang Hennepin

Top Bottom