• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Bacon

yeah i recently did a vertical of Imperial Stout Trooper

the beer is made once a year (around december), doesnt leave connecticut and sells out very quickly (a day or two)

if you have access to older ones, id buy them, the beer holds up well and has a trade value in the instance you dont like it, you can trade up to a fresher one,

Connecticut you say? Where do they sell it?

codhand

i mean the brewery will be selling growlers of it whenever they do make it...im really only familiar with southern ct distribution and it should be most of the big stores around here

yeah i recently did a vertical of Imperial Stout Trooper

untitled2dnbng.png

untitledn1zmi.png

the beer is made once a year (around december), doesnt leave connecticut and sells out very quickly (a day or two)

if you have access to older ones, id buy them, the beer holds up well and has a trade value in the instance you dont like it, you can trade up to a fresher one,
I hate you. I lived in CT for 6 years and never managed to get one. Bah!

Anyways. At a local restaurant. 60 Minute IPA is on the tap menu. I order but they say they just ran out and replaced with KY bourbon ale and people were excited about he change. Bah! Just got the West 6th IPA instead. Fools liking KY BBA over 60 Min.

Got back today from a weeklong stay in Oakland so I tried to make the best of it, aside from the Tilquin the highlights were:

Cellarmaker: everything. god damn. the IPAs, pales, the brett saison, even the bitter. all incredible, super fairly priced (6 dollars a pint), friendly place, I wish I'd gotten growlers

Sante Adairius Capitola Sunset: described as a "rustic industrial park saison" lol but it was fantastic. light, crisp, tart, dry, refreshing

Faction Summer IPA: great as ever

Now I'm back in LA, picked up a Modern Times Fruitlands sour cherry gose. I had really high hopes for this and tbh it's disappointing. Thankfully it's not overly sweet but I don't think they nailed the gose base. Idk if it's the pilsner malt but it's just too bready.

mcfrank

Got back today from a weeklong stay in Oakland so I tried to make the best of it, aside from the Tilquin the highlights were:

Cellarmaker: everything. god damn. the IPAs, pales, the brett saison, even the bitter. all incredible, super fairly priced (6 dollars a pint), friendly place, I wish I'd gotten growlers

Sante Adairius Capitola Sunset: described as a "rustic industrial park saison" lol but it was fantastic. light, crisp, tart, dry, refreshing

Now I'm back in LA, picked up a Modern Times Fruitlands sour cherry gose. I had really high hopes for this and tbh it's disappointing. Thankfully it's not overly sweet but I don't think they nailed the gose base. Idk if it's the pilsner malt but it's just too bready.

Have not heard good things about it. Modern Times continues to disappoint more often than not.

I'm at Disney World this week, what are the best places to get good beers at the parks? Any of them have Cigar City?

Not a lot of great choices at the parks from what I remember (was there last year). I stopped at Knightly Spirits on Orange Blossom Trail and stocked up with good stuff (they have a nice selection). Fresh cans of Jai Alai made the week for me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Cellarmaker is hit and miss for me. Never been to the brewery, but I have had some of their stuff be pretty buttery.

Faction makes the best hoppy beers in the Bay Area and it isn't close.

aceface

Intersting. They must hook up our distributor, because it's a shelf turd at a couple locations around here haha. Might need to start snatching it up for trades when it releases this year.

Yeah my local bottle shop in Upstate NY has had Imperial Stout Trooper a couple of times in the past. I didn't realize it was so rare, maybe I'll pick some up.

Lotto

Have not heard good things about it. Modern Times continues to disappoint more often than not.

Booming Rollers and Protocosmos are great. Their bourbon barrel aged Monster's Park is also amazing, one of the better bba beers I've had. They're not the greatest brewery in terms of consistency but i'll always snag one of their new releases. I'll agree that Fruitlands was just ok. I haven't had much gose so I'm unsure what to look for in that particular style but I enjoyed the sourness of it at the very least, most cherry flavored beers tend to be misses for me.

PG2G

Their bourbon barrel aged Monster's Park is also amazing, one of the better bba beers I've had.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I've had them all except the Rum BA versions and wasn't especially impressed. Drinking a BA Monsters Park right after a Parabola made the Monsters Park feel completely outclassed. Which is even worse considering the ~$30 they are charging per bottle.

I was a little disappointed by Helldorado. I mean it's still a pretty good barrel-aged barleywine but it's one of the weaker beers they've put out imo. I remember liking it a lot more when I had it on tap a year or so ago, this version is a little too hot and the flavors don't meld the way they should. It may get much better with some age though so who knows. I just want Double DBA back :c

Lotto

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I've had them all except the Rum BA versions and wasn't especially impressed. Drinking a BA Monsters Park right after a Parabola made the Monsters Park feel completely outclassed. Which is even worse considering the ~$30 they are charging per bottle.

Hmm, I had it earlier this year from a friend and recall it being very good (which surprised me because I wasn't too keen on most of Modern Times' offerings at the time.) I just remember the coffee being really good and not overly sweet as some bba's i've had in the past. Black Tuesday from the Bruery comes to mind, although it was tasty, the sweetness was too intense but it also sits at something like 20% abv... I've had Parabola a handful of times as well and am always impressed by it's balance and flavor, i'd rank it higher than MP for sure. I'd still put bba Speedway stout over most though :p

Meijer sells Dragons Milk for $17 a four pack. But they had singles on the shelf under the generic New Holland Brewing price of $2.50 a bottle. Yeah, I grabbed a few at that price.

And liquor barn had Prairie Bomb and Au Man Cafe Jesus. 'Twas a good day!

Lotto

Wasn't able to go to the de Garde release party this weekend, but my buddy brought me back a few bottles, plus all the Keeper bottles that we share.

JhL24ELl.jpg

Ahhh, nice pick ups! That Nelson Hose sounds delicious. Nelson hops are like one of my favorite hop varieties right now. I've been dabbling in homebrewing this past year and been mostly making clone recipes with Citra hops (currently have an American Pale Ale carbonating right now) but I wanna try making some Nelson hopped ones soon.

St. Bernardus Prior 8 is an incredibly underrated beer. It's too easy to forget that delicious range of Trappist Dubbels including Prior 8, Westmalle Dubbel, and Rochefort 6. Tasty, tasty beverages that are all too often overshadowed by their big dark strong brothers.

Kjellson

You Americans should be happy you get pumpkin beers. They're almost nonexistent here in Sweden.

Maybe we'll get some by the end of the month. We'll see.

Aun Mas Cafe Jesus was not as strong with the coffee flavor as I remembered it being. Still damn good, but nowhere near as strong as memory told me it was.

codhand

Never had Oktoberfest beer. I should remedy this real soon. Guess I could get the latest Sierra Nevada version of it.

good call.

some other quality oktoberfest/marzen beers ive had that can be found easily:

weihenstephaner festbier
hacker pschorr marzen
paulaner marzen

also, yes, Prior 8 is rad. i killed a keg of Extra 4 this summer....

So this Almanac Citra Sour is actually really good. I generally like dry-hopped sours like Le Terroir but really didn't like Almanac's previous one (Devil's Advocate or something). This was probably the best I've had yet, though I'm generally biased when it comes to citra. Great interplay between the usual Almanac creamy lactic sourness and the tropical fruit and citrus from the hops. Between this and the last couple Farmer's Reserves I've had Almanac seems to be improving, though the pricing is still too high.

Lotto

So this Almanac Citra Sour is actually really good. I generally like dry-hopped sours like Le Terroir but really didn't like Almanac's previous one (Devil's Advocate or something). This was probably the best I've had yet, though I'm generally biased when it comes to citra. Great interplay between the usual Almanac creamy lactic sourness and the tropical fruit and citrus from the hops. Between this and the last couple Farmer's Reserves I've had Almanac seems to be improving, though the pricing is still too high.

Valley of the Heart's Delight was amaaaaaazing. I've tried only a handful of their beers since they're so expensive but a citra sour from them sounds delightful, i'll be on the lookout for it. I always see the Reserve Citrus one around here, still debating whether or not to pick that one up...

Also, god damn those de Garde bottles are so cheap, i'm jealous.

I didn't try the second batch of Valley of the Heart's Delight that only had apricots but the first batch with apricots, loquats, and cherries was incredible. It's weird, their early couple rounds of releases (Farmer's Reserve #3 with nectarines and strawberries, for example) were fantastic but as they ramped up production speed/quantity the amount of fruit seemed to decrease and the beers started tasting the same. I think it's gotten better with the past couple releases though so hopefully they'll keep getting better and try some new stuff. Enough wine barrel-aged sour blonde ales already, jeez.

I hear the pumpkin sour is godawful, though, not like I was gonna buy it anyway.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I got a six pack of Not Your Father's Root Beer last night. Very tasty. There's so much going on in it, and it's very very good.

Top Bottom