• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

St. Bernardus Prior 8 is an incredibly underrated beer. It's too easy to forget that delicious range of Trappist Dubbels including Prior 8, Westmalle Dubbel, and Rochefort 6. Tasty, tasty beverages that are all too often overshadowed by their big dark strong brothers.

I've still never tried the Rochefort 6 but otherwise, yeah, I share the sentiment. Prior 8 is incredible.

Holy shit.

It is way too early for pumpkin beers to be out there.

Also this.

We started getting them in our store last week of August and I was like... no. I think I'm over pumpkin beers, though. They're fun to try but they've never really grabbed me.

t-ramp

Boulevard has a sour pumpkin beer this year... Sounds intriguing, but unless I can find just a single of it I'll probably pass.

It's one of their Backstage Series 750ml bottles, from what I understand. I don't get why a hoppy red ale is interesting enough to warrant that price point/format but Founders is gonna be Founders i guess

edit: damn, beaten to it by someone who's actually had the beer haha. anyway, speaking of Michigan beer, my corner store was selling four packs of pint cans of Bell's Best Brown Ale for $6 so I figured I'd give it a shot. i don't really remember the last brown ale i had but it's pretty good especially for the price

Fun day helping a buddy do demo on his basement. BBQ afterward with de Garde, Rare Barrel, Holy Mountain, and some smaller locals. Little brewery outside Seattle made a kickass strawberry berlinerweisse, and the coop brewery we're members of had a decent fresh hop pale.

I got a six pack of Not Your Father's Root Beer last night. Very tasty. There's so much going on in it, and it's very very good.

Yeah. So much diabeetus and base ethanol.

this alcoholic root beer craze is getting way out of hand. I think I've seen three or four different brands of it in the same store ugh

it might just be that i hate root beer, maybe if it these were sixers of alcoholic tamarind soda or Squirt or something I'd be much more on board

I love root beer. The only alcoholic version I've had is NYFRB and it was bad. Just tasted like overly sweet root beer with base ethanol added at the end (ie. The boozy malty finish you get in Mike's Hard Lemonade).

I'd rather just have a root beer.

What I'm drinking tonight:

7127f8d17b8218ad620c85ab737eac09_640x640.jpg

8d54302a8a9a64d11dce2d97e98c3f71_640x640.jpg

HiResDes

this alcoholic root beer craze is getting way out of hand. I think I've seen three or four different brands of it in the same store ugh

it might just be that i hate root beer, maybe if it these were sixers of alcoholic tamarind soda or Squirt or something I'd be much more on board
Grab a bottle of Boylan and compare it to Not Your Father's...

Coney Island Brewery has a Hard Root Beer in rotation now. Should try it out at least once.

NYFRB was alright. I wouldn't drink it all the time though.

Grab a bottle of Boylan and compare it to Not Your Father's...

I'll give it a shot but there's just something about root beer I've hated since I was a kid. Then again I was a dumbass who hated amazing things like pickles and eggplant so I probably shouldn't trust my memories. I always loved beer though, used to beg my dad for a taste of Grolsch.

How's that RuinTen holding up? It was a bit too malty for me even fresh so I wonder how a few months has affected it.

How's that RuinTen holding up? It was a bit too malty for me even fresh so I wonder how a few months has affected it.

It was a bit fruity but still a strong IPA. Definitely like this one. I don't know if I like this or the other IPA I've been drinking lately, Resin by Sixpoint Brewery.

Coney Island Brewery has a Hard Root Beer in rotation now. Should try it out at least once.

NYFRB was alright. I wouldn't drink it all the time though.

Coney Island Root Beer is only the second beer I have ever poured out. I couldn't even hate drink that bottle. It tasted like a really, really shitty diet root beer.

NYFRB was very sweet, like a strong root beer. But it left me with a wicked stomach ache.

It was a bit fruity but still a strong IPA. Definitely like this one. I don't know if I like this or the other IPA I've been drinking lately, Resin by Sixpoint Brewery.
Resin is good. If you can still find Hi-Res by them, that is even better.

Interesting, I know craft breweries are popping up in a lot of countries but I'd never heard of any from Uruguay. What's the beer scene like there generally? That's a fantastic label, too.

Finishing off my last Modern Times Oneida. Damn if this isn't the perfect summer beer, these hellertau blanc hops are too damn tasty. Bummed it's not year-round.

Salsa

http://www.mbh.com.uy/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...w_House-Montevideo_Montevideo_Department.html

Montevideo Brew House is probably the best place in the country for craft stuff. I think the most famous labels are Birra Bizarra (the one pictured there) and Volcanica. Being a small country (3.5 mil people) the scene is obviously pretty small, but the beers are good. won some awards in the latin american scene of things if im not mistaken

also birra bizarra labels are all made by mostly tat artists, hence the whole sailor jerry vibe

That's really cool, I'd love to visit Uruguay sometime so I'll definitely keep that in mind. We don't get much Latin American craft beer in California to be honest, just a bottle or two from Tijuana recently.

Totally unrelated but I happened upon this Los Angeles times article from 1989 when looking up a certain brand of Iranian beer. Ever since the first time I had my dad try an IPA he compares any bitter beer to the Shams brand they used to drink before the Revolution. I find it interesting that the article mentions that "Belliveau's offbeat private-label customers include a company that takes a lager he brews and renames it "Shams," selling it to Iranians in Southern California" and that it "will please the Iranian palate with a richer, more bitter taste than American Pilseners." I wonder what happened to that enterprise.

It's really fascinating to me because obviously I'll never be able to taste what Iranian beer used to taste like because it's illegal now but the article definitely seems to validate that Iranian beer must have been pretty hoppy. Persian cuisine integrates a lot of bitter/tart flavors which I think has really guided my tastes in beer and I'd love to see a revival someday. Maybe if I ever start homebrewing...

Damn that looks delicious. There's just something I love about the sheer inconvenience/commitment of crowlers. Once you open up that big-ass can you gotta finish it. Berryessa has been doing a great job with them, hope growler laws relax a bit and we see more in SoCal.

I'm finishing up the long weekend with a Three Weavers Expatriate IPA. It's solid, like every beer I've had from them so far. A bit sweeter than I'd prefer (please quit it with the crystal malt please) but it's still tasty. Looking forward to seeing more bottled offerings from them.

Damn that looks delicious. There's just something I love about the sheer inconvenience/commitment of crowlers. Once you open up that big-ass can you gotta finish it.

I walked down the block, knocked on my neighbor's door and poured him the last 12 ounces. Problem solved. And I exposed him to an out of region beer he'd never had before. :)

tmac456

Who is ready for stout season? Bring on the cooler weather IMO

List of stouts I have stored away:

Founders KBS(3)
3 Floyds/War Pigs Black Flame(3)
2014 Dark Lord
2015 Dark Lord(3)
3 Floyds Wig Splitter Oatmeal coffee stout (lots)
3 Floyds Moloko milk stout(8)
OddSide Ales Hipster Brunch Stout

few other imperial stouts from breweries in Michigan that I got via trade.

I walked down the block, knocked on my neighbor's door and poured him the last 12 ounces. Problem solved. And I exposed him to an out of region beer he'd never had before. :)

I GUESS that's a solution, my generosity and liver would definitely benefit from that approach.

And what's this about cooler weather? It's gonna break 100 degrees this week where I am, gotta stock up on gose.

tmac456

Not yet. It's fresh hop season in the PNW. Stouts can wait until October or November.

Oh I'm excited for that too for sure. Just not as much as some incredible stouts on a cool Fall night

I GUESS that's a solution, my generosity and liver would definitely benefit from that approach.

And what's this about cooler weather? It's gonna break 100 degrees this week where I am, gotta stock up on gose.

Woof.

Who is ready for stout season? Bring on the cooler weather IMO

List of stouts I have stored away:

Founders KBS(3)
3 Floyds/War Pigs Black Flame(3)
2014 Dark Lord
2015 Dark Lord(3)
3 Floyds Wig Splitter Oatmeal coffee stout (lots)
3 Floyds Moloko milk stout(8)
OddSide Ales Hipster Brunch Stout

few other imperial stouts from breweries in Michigan that I got via trade.
Every season is stout season. :)

Milchjon

Fucking Tony Magee. After all his outrage...

Maybe the trick would be to sell out before only ABInBev or Heineken can afford you. But I guess calls of hypocrisy can easily be drowned out by a few big dollar bills stuffed in your ears.

COZiKFzWgAASY4y.png

Fucking Tony Magee. After all his outrage...

Maybe the trick would be to sell out before only ABInBev or Heineken can afford you. But I guess calls of hypocrisy can easily be drowned out by a few big dollar bills stuffed in your ears.

COZiKFzWgAASY4y.png

Gross. No more Lagunitas for me.

The fuck? Partnering with Heineken?

I guess they got shook by Firestone's success and partnership but yeah after all that shit-talking this is just hilarious.

Milchjon

Germany teaching you how it's done!

Recently I've been more convinced that German mainstream styles of beer have a chance to be something more. Had some really great, subtle versions of Helles and Pilsener using non-traditional hops, which made me get over my knee-jerk total preference for IPAs and stuff.

Yeah I like the SN Oktoberfest a lot this year but I'm still waiting for the beautiful day when an American brewery will make a proper kolsch.

But yeah, there are some awesome German hops right now with pretty unique flavors that I"m glad are getting used more. And Freigeist is brewing up some awesome beers, those quince and rhubarb gose were heavenly.

codhand

Living in Florida we don't have much of a choice! Thanks very much codhand, I couldn't resist and cracked both these bad boys yesterday, 90 degrees and all.

duuuude! nicely done.

Yo so Sierra Nevadas Oktoberfest is the fucking truth, Cod was right, one of top three examples of the style I've had.

right?

had it back-to-back with Ayinger Marzen too close to call. granted marzens arent a style that will wow you necessarily, but they (sierra & riegele) nailed it.

found a new one for you to hunt down too!
Galaxy-High-01-e1426528515292.jpg

Milchjon

Have never had a Kölsch I liked.

Freigeist is kinda hard to get in Germany. There is simply no market for any kind of sour beer (yet?). They export everything. The stuff Freigeist does goes against everything even somewhat adventurous German drinkers want in a beer. Bummer.

Gose in general is almost completely unknown in Germany. Lots of old German styles are more appreciated in the US. The only Lichtenhainer I ever had was from Westbrook. Berliner Weisse is mostly lost, and I had more legit foreign Berliner Weisses than German ones.

Have never had a Kölsch I liked.

Freigeist is kinda hard to get in Germany. There is simply no market for any kind of sour beer (yet?). They export everything. The stuff Freigeist does goes against everything even somewhat adventurous German drinkers want in a beer. Bummer.

Gose in general is almost completely unknown in Germany. Lots of old German styles are more appreciated in the US. The only Lichtenhainer I ever had was from Westbrook. Berliner Weisse is mostly lost, and I had more legit foreign Berliner Weisses than German ones.

What I've been told about Berlinerweisse in Germany right now is that it's treated like a radler and less of a solid beer style.

Milchjon

What I've been told about Berlinerweisse in Germany right now is that it's treated like a radler and less of a solid beer style.

There's basically only one big brewery left doing it. AFAIK there's very little acidity to it, it's almost always mixed with some syrup, and often consumed through a straw.

This is how they market it (notice the flavors):
BKW-MIXcups2014-Flasche.jpg

No one drinks it outside of Berlin. It's basically a novelty for people who dislike beer.

There's basically only one big brewery left doing it. AFAIK there's very little acidity to it, it's almost always mixed with some syrup, and often consumed through a straw.

This is how they market it (notice the flavors):
BKW-MIXcups2014-Flasche.jpg

No one drinks it outside of Berlin. It's basically a novelty for people who dislike beer.

Yeah, I've seen that image before. What's funny is that you see all kinds of different flavored Berliners here in the states (cherry, raspberry, strawberry, guava, passionfruit, marionberry, mango, peach, apricot, nectarine, lime, lemon, etc.) with real fruit in the barrel, but they're targeted toward hardcore craft beer people. Same when you see berliners that can be mixed with raspberry or woodruff syrup.

duuuude! nicely done.

right?

had it back-to-back with Ayinger Marzen too close to call. granted marzens arent a style that will wow you necessarily, but they (sierra & riegele) nailed it.

found a new one for you to hunt down too!
Galaxy-High-01-e1426528515292.jpg
Galaxy High will be out in cans again soon (next week I believe). I prefer Citra High, but both are fantastic. Shouldn't be hard to find. Can hook you up if needed.

injurai

Banned
So I moved nearby this ghetto convenience store. They have a goldmine of old craft beer. I saw some Lower De Boom. It's been there every time I go back, I think I have my own little cache in that store. It's gonna be a good year.

So Saint Archer's been bought by MillerCoors, which I've been hearing rumors about from bartenders/reps for like a month but I guess it's official now? I don't drink much of their beer but it's mostly solid and hopefully this means more Mosaic IPA (in cans please).

Top Bottom