• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The had "Not Your Father's Root Beer" at my neighborhood grocery store, I would have bought some, but at $13 for a six pack it's a bit too pricey for me at the moment.

Have any of you tried cooking with beer? I'm curious about people's experiences.

HiResDes

The had "Not Your Father's Root Beer" at my neighborhood grocery store, I would have bought some, but at $13 for a six pack it's a bit too pricey for me at the moment.

Have any of you tried cooking with beer? I'm curious about people's experiences.
Guiness Extra pairs incredibly well with Short Ribs.

Bacon

I use whatever shitty beer I have laying around for the liquid in my chili.

dekline

I'm currently moving into a new place, so keeping a well stocked fridge is very important.

bhhavsab.png

Three Floyds Alpha King
Wasatch Ghostrider White IPA
New Glarus Spotted Cow
New Glarus Two Women
Surly Over Rated
Indeed Day Tripper
Indeed Double Day Tripper
Somersby Hard Apple Cider
Small Town Brewery Not Your Father's Root Beer
5L Heineken Mini Keg
5L Hofbräu Original Mini Keg

I just moved into a new apartment so naturally I went to costco. To my surprise they had a pretty good selection of bombers from the local area and the rest of southern california. I decided to go with the one below (not my hand) because it sounded fucking ridiculous and ended up being a pretty good price for a lil less than $10. Has anyone tried it recently?

lost-abbey-10-commandments.gif

Yeah Costco can be hit or miss when it comes to beer selection but the prices are always great. I don't think I've had that Lost Abbey beer (sweet/strong Belgian ales aren't really my thing) but they generally do a good job. At 12% and 750ml I wouldn't tackle it alone though, I still have nightmares of the hangover a bottle of Three Philosophers gave me back in college. There's just so much damn sugar even without honey and raisins.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Heading to Seattle tomorrow. Gonna be there for a week. Post beer/bar/store recommendations, boys!

Heading to Seattle tomorrow. Gonna be there for a week. Post beer/bar/store recommendations, boys!

Breweries (these are my top three in the city):
Reubens
Fremont
Holy Mountain

Bars/Shops:
Brouwers
Toronado
Sixgill
Pine Box
Noble Fir
Beer Junction
Bottleworks
Latona Pub
Burgundian

Holy Mountain is releasing three bottles tomorrow at noon. Latona Pub and Toronado both have anniversary parties on Saturday.

Anyone had this before? Grabbed it from my local favorite beer shop, and it came highly recommended.

Best By date is the middle of next month, so I'm assuming that it's aged sufficiently, and I should probably enjoy it before then?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Breweries (these are my top three in the city):
Reubens
Fremont
Holy Mountain

Bars/Shops:
Brouwers
Toronado
Sixgill
Pine Box
Noble Fir
Beer Junction
Bottleworks
Latona Pub
Burgundian

Holy Mountain is releasing three bottles tomorrow at noon. Latona Pub and Toronado both have anniversary parties on Saturday.
Thanks man! I'll be sure to check out as many of these as I can.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yeah, not much in that area. Holy Mountain and the Masonry are closest in Lower Queen Anne/Interbay.

Most breweries are south or north of downtown, and most of the big name bars and bottleshops are north.
My brother has a car, so it shouldn't be too much trouble making the rounds. I appreciate the help.

soma27

Long time lurker, but figured I had to post my recent score. On a trip to Sweden for a wedding, was able to add stops in Amsterdam and Brussels.

Spent a few hours at Cantillon drinking LPF and Zwanze bottles, and came back with the following score:

9CQ62dtm.jpg
[/IMG]
2 mangums of Gueuze
3-4 bottles each of Gueue, Kriek, Rose, Iris, Grand Cru and CSG. The luggage was very heavy on the way back - bit worth it.

Anyone planning on going to Zwanze day this year?

EZt7iDxl.jpg

Went to the Holy Mountain release earlier today (my buddy's picture). Got bottles of all three, but the Barrel #7 sour sold out a while ago. They had a batch of their King's Head double brown aged on cherries in rye whiskey barrels, too. Really good.

mcfrank

Long time lurker, but figured I had to post my recent score. On a trip to Sweden for a wedding, was able to add stops in Amsterdam and Brussels.

Spent a few hours at Cantillon drinking LPF and Zwanze bottles, and came back with the following score:

9CQ62dtm.jpg
[/IMG]
2 mangums of Gueuze
3-4 bottles each of Gueue, Kriek, Rose, Iris, Grand Cru and CSG. The luggage was very heavy on the way back - bit worth it.

Anyone planning on going to Zwanze day this year?

I hope you have a better result with the Grand Cru than I did on my bottle. The one I had was terrible.

How was customs bringing it all back (assuming you are from USA)? I am going next summer.

Bacon

What do you guys think of pumpkin beers? The whole foods I work for just put some varieties out this week and they're moving like hotcakes. Can barely keep them in stock

I don't like pumpkin beer. The fall is about fresh hops, not pumpkin.

And speaking of that, had the first fresh hop of the year today at Latona Pub's 28th birthday party. Two Beers' Fresh Hop IPA.

guLYXWKl.jpg

I hope you have a better result with the Grand Cru than I did on my bottle. The one I had was terrible.

Grand Cru is purposefully flat.

How was customs bringing it all back (assuming you are from USA)? I am going next summer.

Customs doesn't care.

soma27

Customs was no big deal, as stated they did not care.

Mark it down on the form, but the "duty" tax is >$1 a bottle for beer, so they normally don't even bother to collect. Just make sure you have enough dirty clothes and bubble wrap to deal with ~120lbs of beer.

PG2G

Flatness wasn't the problem, tasting terrible was the problem. It is very possible it was just that bottle as it has decent ratings, but it was quite nasty. PG2G shared the bottle and can confirm.

Yeah, Grand Cru sucks ass. Other people I know have also said it was awful.

HiResDes

Oh duh never had the pleasure 100% Gueze definitely up there on my must try list.

In other news had Left Hands Oktoberfest trying to be festive and while they got the style mostly right it definitely had way too much caramel sweetness in the malts to the point that the rest of the flavors became kind of muted. I definitely prefer the Moerlein Marzan.

codhand

try that sierra oktober man, shit is tasty, not too matly sweet.

des you should try some other shelf gueuze first before Cantillon, many actually think it's on the lower end...of course im happy to help out by sending you some, if you cant locate any of the following, and even if you can locate them i still got your back haha

for me id say

Drie Fontenien, Tilquin, Girardin Black Label, Hanssens Oude Gueuze, and Lindeman's Cuvee Rene are all typically better than Cantillon 100% Gueuze, and all except the 3F and Rene, have great distribution throughout the country.

Also wouldn't hurt to try the ones regarded as not as good as Cantillon but still tasty and available, like the St. Louis Fond Tradition, Timmermans Oude Gueuze, Oude Beersel Geuze, Boon Oude Geuze etc....

and holy shit at that Loon haul! nice work! Has my back hurting just looking at it, dear lord, did you bring any clothes with you to Brussels or just an empty suitcase??? cheers!

cheers!

Yeah, I'm really impressed with their Oktoberfest this year. Also, the fall mixed pack is worth it for the Vienna lager alone, although Tumbler, Flipside and their Pale Ale and nice as well, especially since they are all relatively fresh, at least right now.

des you should try some other shelf gueuze first before Cantillon, many actually think it's on the lower end...of course im happy to help out by sending you some, if you cant locate any of the following, and even if you can locate them i still got your back haha

for me id say

Drie Fontenien, Tilquin, Girardin Black Label, Hanssens Oude Gueuze, and Lindeman's Cuvee Rene are all typically better than Cantillon 100% Gueuze, and all except the 3F and Rene, have great distribution throughout the country.

Also wouldn't hurt to try the ones regarded as not as good as Cantillon but still tasty and available, like the St. Louis Fond Tradition, Timmermans Oude Gueuze, Oude Beersel Geuze, Boon Oude Geuze etc....

and holy shit at that Loon haul! nice work! Has my back hurting just looking at it, dear lord, did you bring any clothes with you to Brussels or just an empty suitcase??? cheers!
Ease into the Girardin 1882 Black Label. Easily the most funk in a beer I've had. I like some funk, but holy shit that was over the top. Probably the only time I've let my friends finish one for me. Pair that with some stinky blue cheese and don't plan on talking to anyone for about 3 days.

Just had a bottle of the Tilquin Quetsche and it was damn solid. Probably needed some time though.

I had a Quetsche back in March and thought it was solid. I've heard the newish Blackberry Tilquin needs some time.

Speaking of Tilquin, they used to be shelf turfs not six months ago. Not anymore. :-/

Yeah I can never find Tilquin anymore in Los Angeles. I did find the latest batch of gueuze at a grocery store in Berkeley over the weekend and couldn't resist. I haven't had it in years but it's as good as ever. I'm sure it'll get even better with a few years but I'm not that lucky/patient.

Honestly Lindemans Cuvee Rene is the best I can find with any regularity on the shelves, even Hanssens/Girardin are snapped up pretty quickly.

I had a Quetsche back in March and thought it was solid. I've heard the newish Blackberry Tilquin needs some time.

Speaking of Tilquin, they used to be shelf turfs not six months ago. Not anymore. :-/

Yep. Store near me had a bottle on the shelf forever. Latest batch was gone in 2 days. I remember when Cantillon used to sit on the shelf forever too... Sour hype is crazy.

codhand

the tilquin mure was aiight, i saw that they already changed the recipe a bit for next year's batch... the regular tilquin gueuze is where it's at, needs no time, and if you ever see it on draft it's incredible, must-try stuff

the tilquin mure was aiight, i saw that they already changed the recipe a bit for next year's batch... the regular tilquin gueuze is where it's at, needs no time, and if you ever see it on draft it's incredible, must-try stuff

Tilquin Gueuze draft is a totally different beast. Love it.

Decado

Where are you staying? Most beer stuff is not downtown.

Going to Seattle with gf but it looks like we're staying closer to dt (south of the centre). Does it take as long as google indicates to get to northern Seattle by transit? Seems like a crazy pain in the ass. I can drive but then what's the point?

Going to Seattle with gf but it looks like we're staying closer to dt (south of the centre). Does it take as long as google indicates to get to northern Seattle by transit? Seems like a crazy pain in the ass. I can drive but then what's the point?

Siri is pretty accurate with travel times in Seattle. Metro can take a while, but I just use my car if walking isn't realistic.

Bacon

Anyone here from Long Island?

Had Crooked Ladder's Captain Kidd Imperial IPA this weekend and loved it.

A lot of my family is from and still lives on Long Island. I would tell them to check it out but unfortunately they think I drink "weird" beer and think Heineken is the best beer on earth

Jarnet87

Drinking a bottle of Not Your Fathers Root Beer, tastes just like a decent root beer lol. Unless I'm looking to get drunk on something that doesn't taste alcoholic I'd rather just drink a better quality root beer.

Top Bottom