• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

The one Trillium beer I've had (double dry-hopped Melcher Street) was one of the best hoppy beers I've ever had, jealous that you get to drink their beers regularly. I was bummed that they didn't really have a tasting room, only to-go bottles/growlers but I understand they're expanding.

My wife goes to Boston regularly for work and has never once seen a Trillium bottle at the two shops that are near her hotel in Back Bay. She doesn't have time to venture out to the brewery, so I'm content with what she does bring me (Night Shift, Jacks Abby, Pretty Thing, etc.).

Lilith

Haven't tried Smithwick's but it kinda sounds like it would be more British in it's style, whereas almost all the pale ales you can find in Germany are modeled after the more bitter, hoppy, fruity American ones.

If you have a good beer store around (which city are you in?), you could try all the things labeled "Bitter" or "ESB", which are often a bit more mellow and bisquit-y, in my experience.

You might also find some of that British stuff at Galeria Kaufhof.

Thanks! Didn't know about this. I live in Heidelberg, there are two shops (that I know of) who sell microbrewed and international beer and I also have been to the Galeria Kaufhof in Mannheim, but always focused on the Pale Ales (which are also very good, quite fruity and hoppy). I'll consider it the next time :)

KumaJG

My wife goes to Boston regularly for work and has never once seen a Trillium bottle at the two shops that are near her hotel in Back Bay. She doesn't have time to venture out to the brewery, so I'm content with what she does bring me (Night Shift, Jacks Abby, Pretty Thing, etc.).

They put a halt on their shipments to stores(most likely due to them expanding). Trillium Brewery not that far from Back Bay(5-10min drive or 10-20 train ride). The real problem is there could be a long wait time.

The one Trillium beer I've had (double dry-hopped Melcher Street) was one of the best hoppy beers I've ever had, jealous that you get to drink their beers regularly. I was bummed that they didn't really have a tasting room, only to-go bottles/growlers but I understand they're expanding.

Their double dry hopped Melcher Street is coming up soon. If they have it when I go down there I could grab you bottle.

Salsa

uruguayan crafts have been steppin their game up

i7h8Zqj.jpg

loving this label too

I should post here more

had the indian pale ale variety yesterday

yHA7pS5.jpg

was good, tho virtually no foam and I like foam. label just as great

PG2G

I've only had one beer from Trillium but in general the NE is killing it with the hops. Most of what I have had (tree house, trillium, second fiddle, lawsons, hill farmstead) has all been amazing.

HiResDes

New to BeerGAF, wanted to present myself:

German/Polish woman, loves beer, had many different beers from all over the world.
Favourite so far Smithwick's Pale Ale.

To all Irish people in here: how would you hold back such a delightful beer?
Exactly one year ago, the bf and I went to Dublin and
we not also went to the Guinness brewery, but also
we have met this crisp, honey-like beer in a pub. The bf, who actually does not like beer at all (except for Guinness), was head over heels. Now back in Germany, I taste through every Pale Ale possible to buy, but nothing comes near to that Smithwick's Pale Ale. So far there'd be only Kilkennny Red Ale available in Germany and that's, simply put, not the same in taste and colour.

So guys, any ideas?
Umm Smithwicks is an Irish Red Ale, so you might want to look for beers within that specific style. Great Lakes Conway Red comes to mind and is a quality brew though I'm not sure if it's availability. Samuel Adams also does the style justice.

I'm pretty new to the craft beer scene. So far I've had Delirium Tremens, Rogue Double Chocolate, Allagash White, and Lagunitas Sucks. I really enjoyed them all. What's you guys recommendation for what I should try next

HiResDes

I'd go for trying out all the styles first... That was my first priority. Try a proper sour, brown Ale, Amber Ale, barleywine, Bock, a Quad or Dark Belgian Strong Ale since you've had a pale.

They put a halt on their shipments to stores(most likely due to them expanding). Trillium Brewery not that far from Back Bay(5-10min drive or 10-20 train ride). The real problem is there could be a long wait time.

She's there for work and normally has a busy schedule. She barely has time to stop in at Bauer or Urban Grape. I appreciate the fact that she finds time to get me beer and even calls me on the phone with what they have.

Speaking of that, my wife is in Boston right now. She's bringing me a Nightshift Harborside and a Jacks Abby Red Tape. Works for me.

I'm pretty new to the craft beer scene. So far I've had Delirium Tremens, Rogue Double Chocolate, Allagash White, and Lagunitas Sucks. I really enjoyed them all. What's you guys recommendation for what I should try next

My standard reply to people just getting into craft beer is to find a local brewpub, brewery or good craft beer bar that does either flights or tasters and try a bunch of different beers in different styles. Find a style you like, then try that style from a few different breweries.

Most local brewpubs have ~8 of their beers on tap, generally all different styles so it's a great place to start. Also, suggestions are really difficult without knowing country and at least region, preferably state. Distribution and availability can vary wildly state to state.

My standard reply to people just getting into craft beer is to find a local brewpub, brewery or good craft beer bar that does either flights or tasters and try a bunch of different beers in different styles. Find a style you like, then try that style from a few different breweries.

Most local brewpubs have ~8 of their beers on tap, generally all different styles so it's a great place to start. Also, suggestions are really difficult without knowing country and at least region, preferably state. Distribution and availability can vary wildly state to state.

That's very true. I'm located in Washington,DC

Based on what you liked already:

Delerium Tremins (Belgian Tripel / Golden Strong):
Duvel
Russian River Damnation
Hapkin
Lucifer
Brigand
Judas
Dulle Teve
Piraat

Allagash White (Belgian Wit):
Hoegaarden Wit
St. Bernardus Blanche
Ommegang Witte
Unibroue Blanche de Chambly

Lagunitas Sucks (Red IPA / IIPA):
Just go look for west coast style red ales or imperial IPAs.

You just missed a good Goose Island event yesterday then. There was a few places, including the P st Whole Foods, that got some of last years Bourbon County stuff. They had the Vanilla Rye and Proprietors on tap, along with a few other things. A week or so ago they had the Vanilla Rye and were letting people do growlers of it.

The Proprietors was really good and happy I was able to get some since it normally doesn't travel this far away from their area. Some of the guys from Goose Island were there too and talked a bit about this years stuff and it sounds great as well.

You just missed a good Goose Island event yesterday then. There was a few places, including the P st Whole Foods, that got some of last years Bourbon County stuff. They had the Vanilla Rye and Proprietors on tap, along with a few other things. A week or so ago they had the Vanilla Rye and were letting people do growlers of it.

The Proprietors was really good and happy I was able to get some since it normally doesn't travel this far away from their area. Some of the guys from Goose Island were there too and talked a bit about this years stuff and it sounds great as well.

I had Goose Island's 2013 Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout Monday night, and it was pretty great.

Grabbed Bell's Hell Hath No Fury. I had never seen this one before.

Also, Stone's 19th Anniversary IPA, Thunderstruck released today. It is made with Australian hops apparently.

There was also a new Oskar Blues IPA that I didn't grab, but will get next time.

Had five fresh hop beers so far this year.

Breakside - Fresh Hop Wanderlust: Citra fresh hop version of their regular Wanderlust IPA. Breakside nitrogen freezes and then smashes their fresh hops to take the dankness to 11. It works.

Two Beers - Fresh Hop IPA: Centennial hops from Yakima. Always seems to be the first PNW fresh hop every year. And it keeps getting better.

Hellbent - Fresh Hop Pale: Amarillos from Yakima. Starts off fantastically dank, but it kinda fell off halfway through the pint.

Flying Bike - Harvest Fresh Hop Pale: Locally sourced hops from the Seattle area. More than likely C hops from member's backyards. Malty, kinda reminded me of Mannys.

Aslan - Fresh Outta Hopton: Fresh hop IPA using Chinooks from California and Simcoes from Yakima. Solid.

Lots more soon. Fremont, Reubens, Holy Mountain, Counterbalance, Hales, Ft. George, Elysian and a ton others have brewed them recently and will be out soon.

great, time for the annual fresh hop envy-fest :(

but damn those all sound delicious, hopefully I can actually find Lagunitas Born Yesterday this year because that seems to be the only decent option around me

Fremont is doing the yearly Cowiche Canyon pale with simcoe and Citra. They're also doing an Equinox/Mosaic version too. Holy Mountain has Amarillo and Citra fresh hop pales coming soon, Reubens has an Amarillo pale on the way. Excited to see what Bale Breaker and Snipes Mountain do seeing how they're over there in the Yakima region.

Also, my parents picked up the very first batch of Oregon-grown Mosaics for a fresh hop version of Crux's Half Hitch DIPA. Brewed over Labor Day weekend. They're sending up a couple growlers of it for us when it's ready. Can't wait.

Had two more fresh hops yesterday.

Machine House is a traditional English real ale brewery down in South Seattle. I had their simcoe fresh hop session at The Burgundian yesterday. Never had a fresh hop on cask before. Nice.

Holy Mountain put the first of their two fresh hops on yesterday. Amarillo pale. Super dank and green. Can't wait for their Brett-fermented Citra fresh hop pale next week.

Zwanze Day today. Anyone else going to an event?

sSFweJ5l.jpg

Another successful Zwanze Day is in the books. They even had enough for people who came in later. Brouwers really knows how to make a Cantillon event NOT a shit show.

That sounds pretty good actually. 2012 is the rhubarb one right? Had it at the brewery last year and thought it was incredible. I wish it'd be bottled regularly.

The Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest delivered on the promise. Damn good.

Any other Oktoberfest recommendations?

I tried Two Brother Atom Smasher Oktoberfest the other day. It's strong but I still prefer SN's Oktoberfest.

I have the Ayinger Oktoberfest beer finally so we'll see if that can surpass this year's SN Oktoberfest.

McBryBry

I feel like I belong here.

I used to be a big fan of fruity things. Mike's was my favorite. I had one a few days ago, and I couldn't finish it. Too sweet. On the other hand, my friend gave me some stuff from a Schlafly variety pack (St. Louis brewing company if they aren't in your area) and needless to say, I preferred it MUCH more to Mike's, Budweiser, etc.

I don't remember exactly what was in there, I believe one was a pale ale but I digress. I think I've been converted. Between those and the summer shandy's I've been having, I need more recommendations stat.

I feel like I belong here.

I used to be a big fan of fruity things. Mike's was my favorite. I had one a few days ago, and I couldn't finish it. Too sweet. On the other hand, my friend gave me some stuff from a Schlafly variety pack (St. Louis brewing company if they aren't in your area) and needless to say, I preferred it MUCH more to Mike's, Budweiser, etc.

I don't remember exactly what was in there, I believe one was a pale ale but I digress. I think I've been converted. Between those and the summer shandy's I've been having, I need more recommendations stat.

While it might not be in circulation at the moment, I really enjoyed Narragansett's Del's Shandy beer. Best shandy beer I tasted this summer. Wish I had more of it.

Milchjon

It's pretty hard to find a good long list of the best beers.

Beer Advocate's Top 250 in particular is kinda pointless because it skews so heavily towards American stuff. Not that I think it shouldn't, but not by that much. Excluding Belgium, there's 2 Danish beers, 3 German ones, and that's pretty much it, from what I've seen.

No UK, no Holland, no Sweden. Having had great beers from those places and a bunch of the stuff near the very top of that list, I don't think that reflects reality.

torontoml

So I'm trying to "widen" my beer pallet, not sure if that's the right term. I'm going to be in Edmonton, Alberta this week and this store that I have been to before has a fairly large selection but it's so wide and varying I don't know where to start.

I'm a huge fan of Delirium Tremens, which is really all I have ventured out to. I'm looking for suggestions, I'll try a wide range of everything.

This is where I'm going, Sherbrookeliquor.Com it has a searchable database. Plus he's willing to try and order anything in for the next time I'm down there.

Yo distantmantra so judging from a couple reports from TalkBeer on Zwanze Day in Arlen it seems Cantillon has rebrewed 2008/2012 and is simply calling it Rhubarbe now. Apparently there was a fresh keg on tap there so hopefully it'll be at the brewery before long. Not that I can make it there anytime soon ;__;

HiResDes

So I'm trying to "widen" my beer pallet, not sure if that's the right term. I'm going to be in Edmonton, Alberta this week and this store that I have been to before has a fairly large selection but it's so wide and varying I don't know where to start.

I'm a huge fan of Delirium Tremens, which is really all I have ventured out to. I'm looking for suggestions, I'll try a wide range of everything.

This is where I'm going, Sherbrookeliquor.Com it has a searchable database. Plus he's willing to try and order anything in for the next time I'm down there.

There are too many beers to choose from, can you give any inference as to what you like or want out of a beer? I'll guess I'd blindly suggest Ayinger or Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest, tis the season.

...Also guys' it's almost Brown Shugga time!

Oh one more thing has anybody had this yet? - http://bellsbeer.com/blog/336-Bell_...n_Imperial_Stout__to_be_released_in_September

Yo distantmantra so judging from a couple reports from TalkBeer on Zwanze Day in Arlen it seems Cantillon has rebrewed 2008/2012 and is simply calling it Rhubarbe now. Apparently there was a fresh keg on tap there so hopefully it'll be at the brewery before long. Not that I can make it there anytime soon ;__;

That's pretty damn awesome. Too bad Shelton filters all the good stuff out on the east coast before it ever hits Seattle.

HiResDes

Whatever happened with Firestone Walker's distribution deal, what's the likelihood that their beers will see more midwest and east-coast distribution in the upcoming years?

Whatever happened with Firestone Walker's distribution deal, what's the likelihood that their beers will see more midwest and east-coast distribution in the upcoming years?

The deal was primarily for Europe and other countries, but I'm sure you'll see them in more states down the line.

Top Bottom