• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Flo_Evans

Cracked my new Belgium lips of faith super cru. Fruity, amber delicious. I feel for an American brewery, these guys are still adventorus and experimental while maintaining a solid foundation of good tasting beer.

Thumbs up.

Flo_Evans said:
Cracked my new Belgium lips of faith super cru. Fruity, amber delicious. I feel for an American brewery, these guys are still adventorus and experimental while maintaining a solid foundation of good tasting beer.

Russian River and Dogfish Head do the same thing.

Flo_Evans

Atramental said:
Had my first beer yesterday and had another today. Guinness Draught in a bottle. Looks and smells good but the taste... very bitter.
Guinness out of the bottle is a bad place to start! You have to at least pour it into a glass and let some head develop!

The rich creamy head will bring some sweetness and cut the bitter taste, but don't write off beer because of that specific style...

Flo_Evans said:
Guinness out of the bottle is a bad place to start! You have to at least pour it into a glass and let some head develop!

The rich creamy head will bring some sweetness and cut the bitter taste, but don't write off beer because of that specific style...
I did. I guess I should've mentioned that it came in a bottle and that I poured it out in a glass.

I'll get used to it eventually. I remember when I was a kid and I didn't care much for coffee but now I drink it black.

Flo_Evans

Well you have found the beer equivalent to black coffee.

I would recommend a good pilsner (90% of commercial American beers are pilsners) and try that.

Of you enjoy the bitter taste search out some IPAs, for the sweeter side try some wheat beers.

Malvolio

Atramental said:
I did. I guess I should've mentioned that it came in a bottle and that I poured it out in a glass.

I'll get used to it eventually. I remember when I was a kid and I didn't care much for coffee but now I drink it black.

If it was a Guinness in a bottle with the plastic rocket inside, you aren't supposed to pour those into a glass. It's designed to release the gas with each tip of the bottle. Pouring it all out in one go defeats that. Guinness in a can with the widget however is designed to only be poured into a glass and not consumed from the can. Finally, if it was Guinness in a bottle with no rocket it's fake Guinness and should be passed off to fools that don't know any better!

AcridMeat

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
Well you have found the beer equivalent to black coffee.

I would recommend a good pilsner (90% of commercial American beers are pilsners) and try that.

Of you enjoy the bitter taste search out some IPAs, for the sweeter side try some wheat beers.

That doesn't mean he should seek out American pilsners, let's be clear.

Flo_Evans

Malvolio said:
If it was a Guinness in a bottle with the plastic rocket inside, you aren't supposed to pour those into a glass. It's designed to release the gas with each tip of the bottle. Pouring it all out in one go defeats that. Guinness in a can with the widget however is designed to only be poured into a glass and not consumed from the can. Finally, if it was Guinness in a bottle with no rocket it's fake Guinness and should be passed off to fools that don't know any better!
At the end of the day you should only drink guineas from the tap, with a good bartender who knows how to pour a beer!

Malvolio said:
A plastic rocket? No, I did not see such a thing.

Damn, I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. Beer sounds confusing. :p

Malvolio

Flo_Evans said:
At the end of the day you should only drink guineas from the tap, with a good bartender who knows how to pour a beer!

I can certainly agree with that. A proper tap pour is far better than any home option, but as a stout fan with no tap in my home yet I still find Guinness cans to be the best option for home stout drinking.

Atramental said:

Damn, I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. Beer sounds confusing. :p

Haha, Guinness muddied the water a bit with their various options, but it's all in the name of choice and quality. The easy way to tell is if the bottle is all black it's a rocket bottle and if its glass with a yellow/tan label it's got no rocket and will end up tasting bitter and flat. Decent for a marinade, but not as nice to drink.

Flo_Evans

Atramental said:

Don't worry, they are just trying to solve the problem of delivering a draft beer in a bottle/can.

Get yourself a six of hoegarden and enjoy a well balanced, delicious beer without the need for widgets.

Flo_Evans said:
Don't worry, they are just trying to solve the problem of delivering a Nitrogendraft beer in a bottle/can.

Get yourself a six of hoegarden and enjoy a well balanced, delicious beer without the need for widgets.

A properly bottled and poured beer will taste every bit as good as a draft brew for most beer.

Something like Guinness which is "carbonated" with Nitrogen instead of CO2 doesn't work well from a can/bottle making Guinness a very special case when it comes to requiring a draft.

I completely agree about the Hoegarden suggestions. Great easy drinking beer.

Atramental said:
I have some cash to spend so next time I'm out I'll try some other beers.

Feel free to PM me any other recommendations.

recommendations will be much easier if we know where you are. A lot of good beers are only distributed to certain places. Also, if there is a brewpub anywhere near you, something like a Rock Bottom, that brews their own beer, you can almost always get a flight of 10-12 5 oz tasters of all their different beer styles. This is always a great way to find a style of beer you like, then go from there.

goober

Atramental said:
I have some cash to spend so next time I'm out I'll try some other beers.

Feel free to PM me any other recommendations.

I'd like a PM too, if possible. Please and thanks.

edit: Going to Washington, DC for a couple days. Does that help?

sharkmuncher said:
recommendations will be much easier if we know where you are. A lot of good beers are only distributed to certain places. Also, if there is a brewpub anywhere near you, something like a Rock Bottom, that brews their own beer, you can almost always get a flight of 10-12 5 oz tasters of all their different beer styles. This is always a great way to find a style of beer you like, then go from there.
I live in Greenville, South Carolina.

Flo_Evans

goober said:

DC has some great brewerys, but you should also have access to the worlds beer while you are there.

I don't know off the top of my head but someone should be able to reccomend a good bar with a wide variety.

AcridMeat

Banned
I went out clothes shopping and came home with a couple six packs of beers instead.

3u8OOl.jpg

I saw it on the shelf and couldn't help myself. The guy at the register said it was surprisingly good and after checking out he ran to pick up a pack.

Not pictured: Carlsberg.

Atramental said:
Had my first beer yesterday and had another today. Guinness Draught in a bottle. Looks and smells good but the taste... very bitter.

Guinness from a tap from a good Guinness pub, or from a can with the widget. That's the way to have it. Shouldn't be that bitter. I've been in Ireland and it's like drinking Gods own cream. Sexy.

AcridMeat

Banned
Okay after consulting with my tongue, don't buy Holy Grail Ale guys. Barely any flavor at all, just some sweetness on the finish. At least I have Carlsberg to look forward to.

HiResDes

POWERSPHERE said:
Guinness from a tap from a good Guinness pub, or from a can with the widget. That's the way to have it. Shouldn't be that bitter. I've been in Ireland and it's like drinking Gods own cream. Sexy.
Smithwicks is much better than Draught, and it's extremely easy to drink for someone not used to the style.

goober said:

The Mad Hatter, The Big Hunt (real name) in Dupont Circle are good, Regional Food and Drink in Chinatown as well. The Brickseller as previously mentioned...

TBH tho just go to a decent looking bar, try some beer you've never heard of, and take mental notes. There are plenty of bars that serve good beer in big cities like DC. Once you try enough stuff you'll figure out what you like and gravitate toward it.

tokkun

Flo_Evans said:

Agree 100%. Guinness is not the most flavor-packed beer to begin with, so it really needs the creaminess from the nitro tap to be worth drinking.

I had an incredible beer day. Sampled some super secret beers that I cannot disclose yet, along with an experimental Wild Ale, Pliny the Younger and Firestone Parabola Imperial Stout.

Flo_Evans

My Westvleteran 12 arrived!

mmm yeah that is pretty amazing beer... drank a bottle with my dad for fathers day, saving the other one for some special occasion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HiResDes said:
Guinness Extra Stout > Smithwicks > Guinness Draught

Guinness Extra Stout is good, but it's a totally different kind of beer.

I've actually still not tried Smithwick's. I'll have to pick one up sometime soon.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
How hard/dificult is it to get European beers in America? I see (presumably) American posters buying Euro beer in this thread but logically stuff is pricey and probably sometimes hard to find/get? Do you guys buy a lot of stuff online?

The popularity of special beer has risen enormously in the Netherlands over the past 20 years so it's a lot easier now to buy various beers here I guess. Back in the 70's/80s you'd only see supermarkets carry Duvel and maybe a couple of other brands. And most Dutch breweries would only occassionally (spring, autumn) offer stuff besides regular pilsner. Now every decent supermarket has a wide selection and liquor stores often carry a nice selection too. One specific liquor store in my town has a standard selection of around 600 beers. But even this store only has a couple of American brands (stuff from Dogfish Head and Flying Dog, mostly).

95% of the American (micro)brewery beers in this thread are completely alien to me. Definitely hope to change that if I get the chance to visit the States someday :).

Rei_Toei said:
How hard/dificult is it to get European beers in America? I see (presumably) American posters buying Euro beer in this thread but logically stuff is pricey and probably sometimes hard to find/get? Do you guys buy a lot of stuff online?

The popularity of special beer has risen enormously in the Netherlands over the past 20 years so it's a lot easier now to buy various beers here I guess. Back in the 70's/80s you'd only see supermarkets carry Duvel and maybe a couple of other brands. And most Dutch breweries would only occassionally (spring, autumn) offer stuff besides regular pilsner. Now every decent supermarket has a wide selection and liquor stores often carry a nice selection too. One specific liquor store in my town has a standard selection of around 600 beers. But even this store only has a couple of American brands (stuff from Dogfish Head and Flying Dog, mostly).

95% of the American (micro)brewery beers in this thread are completely alien to me. Definitely hope to change that if I get the chance to visit the States someday :).

All the European beer I drink comes from a local beer store that stocks pretty much any foreign beer they can get shipped to them. I'm sure I pay quite a bit for this service compared to what you guys pay over there, but most times its worth it. As far as US microbrews, most don't ship to the entire US, let alone overseas.

Malvolio

Rei_Toei said:

I'm lucky in that the closest store to me has a massive selection of beer. You pay a bit of a premium for the best Euro beer, but its the same with the best American micro brews. The store will even do specialty orders if there is a rare beer you are looking for that they don't normally stock. Thankfully the micro brew craze in the States has only continued to grow. So it's pretty easy to continually find new brews to try.

As if micro brews weren't enough, the home brew scene is also booming. A few of my friends brew many different types and belong to clubs where even more is available. As good as the classics and micro brews are, there is something about a fresh home brew that tastes even better. It's a great time to be a beer fan that's for sure.

Today was my last day of work, now on summer vacation until August 31st (I'm a school psychologist). Bought some beer to celebrate.
2eb4aqu.jpg

j8hzth.jpg

21c71g4.jpg

Plus my 2011 WABL passport and shirt came in the mail.

F0qhQl.jpg

Just had the Saison-Brett by Boulevard Brewing. DAMN that's a great beer. A nice easy drinking Saison style that was bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces for 2 months before release. Wonderful Brett character without being overwhelming, and I'm sure given a year or so, the Brett character would develop even more if you so choose. I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys that nice barnyard quality of a great Brett beer.

Edit: and finished the night off with a pint of homebrewed 7.8% Janet's Brown, an imperial, dry-hopped american brown ale. It was tasty (haha if you know the creator of the recipe its funny dammit). I think I'm almost ready for the Drunk thread? Drunk thread! haha

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
sharkmuncher said:
Edit: and finished the night off with a pint of homebrewed 7.8% Janet's Brown, an imperial, dry-hopped american brown ale. It was tasty (haha if you know the creator of the recipe its funny dammit). I think I'm almost ready for the Drunk thread? Drunk thread! haha

I have had a few versions of that, a few from Tasty and a few from Russian River. Pretty solid beer.

Yaboosh said:
I have had a few versions of that, a few from Tasty and a few from Russian River. Pretty solid beer.

I would love to try the real deal. I got the morebeer kit for mine and was send Magnum for half of the Cascade hops and had to do some quick subbung to get the IBUs right. (stupid me for not checking ingredients prior to making the beer) It still turned out fucking awesome. (I love you beersmith). I can imagine tasty knows how to make a much, much better brew than me, as does russian river. If only Omha wan't in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
sharkmuncher said:
I would love to try the real deal. I got the morebeer kit for mine and was send Magnum for half of the Cascade hops and had to do some quick subbung to get the IBUs right. (stupid me for not checking ingredients prior to making the beer) It still turned out fucking awesome. (I love you beersmith). I can imagine tasty knows how to make a much, much better brew than me, as does russian river. If only Omha wan't in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere...

Lots of it was available at NHC in San Diego this past week. It was a pretty great time. Of course, after pro night, I was pretty beered out. Didn't drink much at all at Club Night or the Banquet night.

Yaboosh said:
Lots of it was available at NHC in San Diego this past week. It was a pretty great time. Of course, after pro night, I was pretty beered out. Didn't drink much at all at Club Night or the Banquet night.
I would have loved to be there. If I can get one of my buddies to head out to Denver for GABF I'll be out there. Stubid not having any friends who appreciate good beer. grrrr

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
sharkmuncher said:
I would have loved to be there. If I can get one of my buddies to head out to Denver for GABF I'll be out there. Stubid not having any friends who appreciate good beer. grrrr

Yeah, it looks like I will be out at GABF again this year. It will make my 4th year in a row with a brewers pass. I have never actually paid to go, or stood in line. But it is always a good time. It shouldn't be hard to convince even non beer geeks to go, it is not a beer geek festival at all. I mean, it is fun for beer geeks too, but it is just a pretty great time for everybody.

For beer geeks that week, there is the Rare Beer Tasting at the Wynkoop on the Friday during GABF. $80 for a ticket (benefits Pints for Prostates) and you get a bunch of good stuff from a lot of different breweries. If you can afford that, I would recommend it. I went two years ago and got a full glass of Angels Share right off the bat, a half glass of Sam Adams Utopias, a brett beer from Michelob, and a bunch of other good stuff. Lots of sour stuff, lots of big barrel aged beers, stuff like that.

Yaboosh said:
Yeah, it looks like I will be out at GABF again this year. It will make my 4th year in a row with a brewers pass. I have never actually paid to go, or stood in line. But it is always a good time. It shouldn't be hard to convince even non beer geeks to go, it is not a beer geek festival at all. I mean, it is fun for beer geeks too, but it is just a pretty great time for everybody.

For beer geeks that week, there is the Rare Beer Tasting at the Wynkoop on the Friday during GABF. $80 for a ticket (benefits Pints for Prostates) and you get a bunch of good stuff from a lot of different breweries. If you can afford that, I would recommend it. I went two years ago and got a full glass of Angels Share right off the bat, a half glass of Sam Adams Utopias, a brett beer from Michelob, and a bunch of other good stuff. Lots of sour stuff, lots of big barrel aged beers, stuff like that.

yeah. hopefully I will make it out there. What brewery are you with BTW?

thespot84

Every year i've contemplated getting the brewers pass, and every year been too broke for it :-(. I did do something at Wynkoop last year, don't remember it being that expensive, though it was like a mini GABF, really great. I'll surely be at a non-brewer's session again this year.

Guess I might as well post it here.

Good News Everyone!!!!!
I will be pouring my beer along with ~60 other homebrewers at Beertopia in Omaha on 8/20. Anyone (all 2 of you Gaffers) should come on down. Should be a great time!

Top Bottom