• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

distantmantra said:
I'll be in Omaha/Lincoln for the Washington/Nebraska football game in September. I'm eager to try out some Nebraska-brewed IPAs...

Nebraska Brewing Company = Amazing IPA that is only on tap at their brewery and sometimes beertopia. Excaellent beer.

Lucky Bucket IPA. IN stores and on tap at many bars, decent IPA, but expensive for what it is. That's about your only choice of NE IPA. Bummer

Lazlo's/Empyrian (in bottles) brews some pretty decen beers as well. Their burning sky Scottish is one of my favorite session beers, their rest of their lineup is decent as well. Good luck getting into their restaurant/brewery on game day however.

I'll also be in Omaha at Christmas time to visit my wife's family.

Being a Seattle-native, Nebraska IPAs are a bit of an oxymoron to me. I've had Upstream's in the past and it was ok, but not as good.

distantmantra said:
I'll also be in Omaha at Christmas time to visit my wife's family.

Being a Seattle-native, Nebraska IPAs are a bit of an oxymoron to me. I've had Upstream's in the past and it was ok, but not as good.
Yeah upstream can be hit or miss. The had a Bourbon barrel porter this winter that taste like gnawing on a tree branches, almost ruined oak aged beers for a friend of mine. NE Brewing is definitely the best local beer, it's just out in p
Papillion which is just a bit too far out of Omaha for most.

I'm almost finished with that six pack of Guinness Draught that I received on my birthday and the taste is finally starting to grow on me. Instead of the intense bitterness I initially tasted, I now taste somewhat of a "tangy-ness" and the aftertaste is somewhat chocolaty. Again, this is only Guinness from a 11.2 oz bottle poured into a glass. I have yet to taste it from a tap.

The next beer I'm probably going try is Blue Moon. It'll probably be a better "gateway" beer for a beer noob such as myself.

A celebration of Sam Adams:
IMG_20110621_022107.jpg

I'm really impressed with this brew. While it's not as stout as I would like it, it's very approachable for the newcomer or to the seasoned veteran.

A buddy and I ran the Seattle Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon yesterday morning. This was our reward to finishing...

269613_2086284525598_1499726239_32307164_4503916_n.jpg

The sign was made by a friend of ours who held it up along the course for us.

sharkmuncher said:
Guess I might as well post it here.

Good News Everyone!!!!!
I will be pouring my beer along with ~60 other homebrewers at Beertopia in Omaha on 8/20. Anyone (all 2 of you Gaffers) should come on down. Should be a great time!

Fuck, I'm normally in Ames, IA just a few hours from there.. that would be an amazing trip, but alas, I'll still be in China at that time.

Speaking of China, it has been absolute beer hell here. Nothing but shitty pale adjunct lagers as far as the eye can see.

Luckily I will be taking a few days in Shanghai from tomorrow, and going to go all out at http://www.shanghaibrewery.com/ . Can't fucking wait. You don't know how bad the withdrawal has been.

Lastly I got :

dyn002_original_300_300_pjpeg__fe23f0dd24ca5794202db6272a9e3987.jpg

Very fruity, tastes like cherry (but not aromated so it's kinda nice). Girls seems to love it.

kwak2-l.jpg

With the glass. A real classic.

chimay-etiquette-bleue.jpg

Another classic. Nearly perfect beer.

eku-28.jpg

Now this marvel is offically my prefered beer, like, ever. Yeah, even better thant the blue chimay. If you can find it, get some bottles ! Tastes like gingerbread and honey.

EKU 28 is awesome. If you really like that one, pick some some Samichlaus Bier. Absolutely worth the price. It is the king of doppelbocks in my eyes, though some may disagree.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Le Terroir fresh is one of the best beers I have ever had. It blew me away, the combination of the hops and the sourness was phenomenal.

AcridMeat

Banned
JonStark said:
kwak2-l.jpg

With the glass. A real classic.

I have one of those glasses, but doubt I can find that beer around here. Do you have any recommendations to use with it? I just remembered I had it and have never used it before.

edit: Oh, but it might be trouble because my glass is 1 litre.

HappyBivouac said:
EKU 28 is awesome. If you really like that one, pick some some Samichlaus Bier. Absolutely worth the price. It is the king of doppelbocks in my eyes, though some may disagree.

Thanks for the advice ! EKU 28 is really my favorite beer as for now. Where I live price is not a problem, all those beer are easy to get (any shop, nearly) and cheap.

AcridMeat said:
I have one of those glasses, but doubt I can find that beer around here. Do you have any recommendations to use with it? I just remembered I had it and have never used it before.

edit: Oh, but it might be trouble because my glass is 1 litre.

Really dunno, :( this glass is very special, and generally trappist and belgian beers are served in calice glasses.

sharkmuncher said:
Lazlo's/Empyrian (in bottles) brews some pretty decen beers as well. Their burning sky Scottish is one of my favorite session beers, their rest of their lineup is decent as well. Good luck getting into their restaurant/brewery on game day however.

I've been to Lazlo's before, we had dinner there before a wedding a few years back. I had a beer of theirs, but can't remember what it was.

Yaboosh said:
Le Terroir fresh is one of the best beers I have ever had. It blew me away, the combination of the hops and the sourness was phenomenal.
I 100% agree with this. Such an excellent beer. Sour, hoppy, just plain good!

I'm waiting for a super hot day here in Seattle, then I'll crack it open along with my bottle of Temptation.

Also, new batch of Blue Dot from Hair of the Dog has made it's way to Seattle. Gonna track some down tomorrow.

HiResDes

Had Great Lakes' Monster on tap at a local bar, was fantastic, probably the most memorable India Pale Ale I've had a in a great while...And I've had pretty much all of the top ones. Great Lakes continues to impress me, but maybe I'm biased as Ohioan. However, Monster and Elliot Ness have become instant favorites for me.

HiResDes said:
Great Lakes continues to impress me, but maybe I'm biased as Ohioan.

Nope. Illinois resident here, Great Lakes makes fantastic beer. My favorite of theirs is the Nosferatu. I grab as much of it as I can whenever I can find it, because it seems like it's only available for a very short time around Halloween.

Scored my first two bottles of Blue Dot (Summer 2011 vintage) for the summer. Totally psyched.

24gnh1g.jpg

Ben Pierce said:
Stone Brewery Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale

A dark IPA that is ever so amazing.

Do you have access to Deschutes? Hop in the Dark was recently released for the year. It's a great Cascadian Dark Ale.

distantmantra said:
Do you have access to Deschutes? Hop in the Dark was recently released for the year. It's a great Cascadian Dark Ale.

I think I've run across that a few times. Is it a high gravity? In any case, I love dark beer and would gladly try it.

HiResDes said:
Had Great Lakes' Monster on tap at a local bar, was fantastic, probably the most memorable India Pale Ale I've had a in a great while...And I've had pretty much all of the top ones. Great Lakes continues to impress me, but maybe I'm biased as Ohioan. However, Monster and Elliot Ness have become instant favorites for me.

Wow thanks.

Didn't know they made this.

Stopped off at GLB after work and it's pretty tasty. This sort of beer tastes like citrus to me. :\

Oh and GLB fans, their seasonal brews are listed on their website. It's not a mystery if you don't want it to be.

Does anybody else recall Nosferatu in it's first year being around 9% ABV? I could SWEAR that's what it was the first time I bought it. Now it's around 6% IIRC. Also posted on the GLB website, but I'm too lazy to look.

Thank you beer! :D

SaskBoy

There is only one microbrewery in Saskatchewan and only one brew pub that I know of in my city. So I am pretty much screwed when it comes to variety for beers. :(

Luckily though the brew pub and microbrewery are just 10 minutes from my house! :D

Nothing to special... But I bought a couple 6-packs of the Limited Edition Corona bottles that they had out last month.

flIAg.jpg

Here is a picture of two of them chilling in a lake, while a buddy and I fished.

kTn2e.jpg

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
So what are some favorite summer beers?

I've recently discovered Good Juju (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/1876). It's a ginger beer, but the ginger is in no way overpowering or even particularly strong. It might be the most refreshing beer I've ever had. It's now what I bring when we head out to the river with the dog.

For outdoor sessionable beers, my go to is Saint Arnold's Amber (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/337/1065). It's the only Saint Arnold I think ascends merely good, and it's my favorite Amber style beer. Not my favorite beer or anything, but great on a summer's day.

I also love wheat beers for the summer, especially when out eating somewhere. Allagash White (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/59) is my current favorite for that. I like 512's Wit (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17863/43536) just as much, but they don't bottle, and indoor drinking isn't really "summer" drinking. There have been a few occasions when I've had 512 Wit outdoors (like at their beer tastings), so it's still worth a mention. I'm also really fond of Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731).

Telosfortelos said:

If we're talking about limited Summer releases, I really enjoy Fremont Brewing's Summer Solstice Pale Ale, Schooner Exact's Constellation IPA and Ninkasi's Radiant Summer Ale.

I'm totally excited to try out Fremont's upcoming Homefront IPA. Comes out on July 29th at Safeco Field and in bottle and on tap around Seattle.

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/relief-pitchers-of-beer/

homefront-label.jpg

Also, Deschutes has the Stoic, the next in their Reserve Series, coming out in August.

The-Stoic-Label.png

I'm also hoping to get my hands on some 120 Minute IPA this summer, but I know it's going to be tough to come by.

Raistlin

I'm drinking a Peak Organic IPA right now, and quite enjoying it

Hoppy, but not in your face. Bitter, but not too much so ... and very little aftertaste. Just a really good balance overall. Quite refreshing.

This was my first beer from Peak Organic, but I'm definitely going to try more after this. They have a:
  • pale ale
  • summer session ale
  • hop noir
  • simcoe spring ale
  • winter session ale
  • IPA
  • nut brown ale
  • amber ale
  • maple oat ale
  • espresso amber ale
  • fall summit ale
  • king crimson
  • pomegranate wheat ale
Definitely sounds like a strong lineup. The espresso, noir, and particularly the maple oat have peaked (lol) my interest for my next purchase.

Telosfortelos said:

I've recently discovered Good Juju ([B]http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/1876). It's a ginger beer, but the ginger is in no way overpowering or even particularly strong. It might be the most refreshing beer I've ever had. It's now what I bring when we head out to the river with the dog.[/B]

For outdoor sessionable beers, my go to is Saint Arnold's Amber (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/337/1065). It's the only Saint Arnold I think ascends merely good, and it's my favorite Amber style beer. Not my favorite beer or anything, but great on a summer's day.

I also love wheat beers for the summer, especially when out eating somewhere. Allagash White (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/59) is my current favorite for that. I like 512's Wit (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17863/43536) just as much, but they don't bottle, and indoor drinking isn't really "summer" drinking. There have been a few occasions when I've had 512 Wit outdoors (like at their beer tastings), so it's still worth a mention. I'm also really fond of Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731).

I love Juju Ginger, such a great beer, as far as ginger beers go, only surpassed by the Jah'Mon Ginger at Mountain Sun in Boulder/Denver. (Hint: Mix that ginger beer 1/2&1/2 with a good blackberry or raspberry wheat and be prepared to enjoy one of the best summer concoctions ever created!)

Ilive1up said:
man, i do enjoy some "tasty" beer, but i generally just stick with bud heavy or natural light...

don't hurt me!

Ever since I have moved to NE, I have grown to absolutely loathe the term "bud heavy." Drink whatever you want, but for all that is good in the world, PLEASE refrain from using that awful term.
That is all.

thespot84

sharkmuncher said:
Ever since I have moved to NE, I have grown to absolutely loathe the term "bud heavy." Drink whatever you want, but for all that is good in the world, PLEASE refrain from using that awful term.
That is all.

lol never heard that in Denver, and it's pretty close...

Tried upslope's lager at a bbq this weekend and was really impressed. They do a great job all around.

thespot84

distantmantra said:
I've never heard anyone refer to it as Bud Heavy here in Washington, but I also don't know anyone who drinks regular Budweiser (Bud Light only).

same, though I do enjoy a coors banquet when I'm jones'n for shit beer, definitely better than coors light.

wetwired said:
I know coors\bud etc are shit beers but is there anyone that carries them in Australia? I want to try them out of curiosity.

I got a carton of Budweiser the other week from dan murphys. Even my local liquorland stocks it.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
sharkmuncher said:
I love Juju Ginger, such a great beer, as far as ginger beers go, only surpassed by the Jah'Mon Ginger at Mountain Sun in Boulder/Denver. (Hint: Mix that ginger beer 1/2&1/2 with a good blackberry or raspberry wheat and be prepared to enjoy one of the best summer concoctions ever created!)
Sounds delicious. Any particular blackberry or raspberry wheat you recommend with it?

I'm an IPA drinker most of the year, but there's something about 100 degree summer weather that makes me want something smoother, preferably in that 5-6% ABV range.

lljride

distantmantra said:
Only 10 cases of 120 Minute were sent to Washington... yeah, I don't think I'll be getting any.

Same here I guess, just saw the blog from 6/15/11 and it doesn't list Texas at all. I haven't kept up with the 120 Minute news much (at least beyond it being delayed in the first place), but I was still hoping to get a taste of it later this year. Sucks :(

distantmantra said:
Only 10 cases of 120 Minute were sent to Washington... yeah, I don't think I'll be getting any.

SPOKE TOO SOON!!

4zxqg5.jpg

Got the last two at my local Whole Foods. I went over to get some eggs and found these guys hiding behind some Belgians.

Top Bottom