• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Giard

chrisisawesome said:
You should also give the Griffon Blonde a try. Its great!

Will do, thanks. I wanted to try out some other beers from the same brewery (McAuslan) as well, like the St-Ambroise.

Diseased Yak said:
We live in central Arkansas and the rumor (via both a Flying Saucer manager and a liquor store owner, separate of each other) is that Avery is pulling out of central AR. No one seems to know why, but I hope it isn't true. I need to write the company and get details, because if it's true I need to spend $2000 on Avery products and stock up.

There are rumors that Avery is pulling out of Washington as well. No reason why.

distantmantra said:
There are rumors that Avery is pulling out of Washington as well. No reason why.

I'm pretty sure I have heard they are trying to build a new brewery, but they don't want to leave Boulder. Problem is, commercial building space in Boulder is super limited and even more expensive. I am guessing they are at capacity with their current place and have to pull out of some markets to keep up with more local demand. Hopefully they can get this sorted out and keep their great beer flowing to all!

Esch

Banned
can anyone recommend me a really amazing witbier? I really love blue moon, shock top, and hoegaarden but i need something else. the next level.

HiResDes

EschatonDX said:
can anyone recommend me a really amazing witbier? I really love blue moon, shock top, and hoegaarden but i need something else. the next level.

Allagash White

white.gif

Namaste

dogfish-head-namaste.jpg

Repgnar

A fellow NeoGAFer and I are in the Philippines for a month. We've tried San Miguel so far and plan on having some Red Horse tonight. San Miguel was alright. My friend keeps mentioning something called Tanduay and his family from here just laughs at him. Anything we have to try before we leave?

Crazy+Canuck+Can.png

Picked this up yesterday. In spite of the terrible graphic design and funny name, it's actually a beer that really packs a punch.
Very pine tasting in the style of American IPAs.

(I don't know if any of these Canadian beers I keep posting ever make it out of the country but maybe some Canadians read this thread?)

PS Great Lakes Brewery is based in Toronto, Ontario and is not related to the Great Lakes Brewing Company which is based in Cleveland that I saw someone posting about earlier in the thread.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm not sure, maybe I've already mentioned this one here before:
la-TRappe-PUUr.jpg

This is a blonde/pilsener. All other La Trappe beers are very heavy on the caramel, but not this one. It's actually a little more bitter then blonde/pilsener usually are. What sticks out is the strong hop flavour. Liking it, a lot :)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Drinking a nice Stella artois here.

Best beer on the planet.

I drink this stuff in any country i can get it.

added_time said:
(I don't know if any of these Canadian beers I keep posting ever make it out of the country but maybe some Canadians read this thread?)

Howe Sound out of British Columbia has American distribution (based out of Washington state) and makes fantastic beers. Their Total Eclipse of the Hop Imperial IPA is awesome.

GiJoccin

got a bottle of lagunitas hop stoopid ale - delicious! it's got some spicy bite to it at the end, but very drinkable for a double ipa, or whatever 102 IBU means

guest1321

Don't have any pictures atm but I have explored some of Sierra Nevada's limited offering lately.

Back at the begininning of the year I had the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum. (great)
Also got a bottle of the the Avila Dubel which was a change of pace from most offering at SN.
In the past month I have gotten their Beer Camp 12 pack twice and really enjoyed the various beers in that. The Black Juniper Ale is by far the best, but it close to the double IPA as I am big fan of really bitter beers. If you can find Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp in a store it is definitely worth giving a go!

Zeke said:
picked up a six pack of Sierra Nevada Summerfest never tried that one before hopefully its good

Excellent choice!

EL Beefo

My friend recently picked up a few beer steins, so we had to try them out. These were one liter ones, so they fit just about three bottles each.

The Lagunitas were mine

2qxtkkn.jpg

BigDug13

Just had a Mikkeller Black Hole at Popeye's in Tokyo. So delicious. If you ever make it to Tokyo. That is the spot!!

70 craft brews on tap.

Went hiking this morning and stopped in at the Issaquah Brewhouse (owned by Rogue) afterward for lunch. They had Avery's Maharaja Imperial IPA on tap, so I had that and a pint of Rogue's XS Imperial IPA. Also filled a growler with Juniper Pale Ale for tonight.

I've been getting into drinking more beer recently (my friends and I have traditionally been strictly into hard alcohol outside of the occasional pitcher at a bar) and I have no idea where to start. Just picking beers at random seems like a waste of money since I have no idea if I'll like it or not.

So I thought I'd ask for direction here. Note that I'm pretty incapable of describing beer tastes.

I haven't tried the non-light versions of any American beers other than Budweiser, which didn't impress me. Of the light beers, Miller is my favorite by far. So far my favorite beer is Fat Tire, which I enjoy quite a bit, a friend got a pitcher for me at a bar and that's what got me into trying out more beers. I've tried Sam Adams and was disappointed.

Unfortunately, like I said I don't really know how to describe how different beers taste, so I was hoping to get some recommendations of beers similar to Miller and Fat Tire, and ones that are similar to Sam Adams so I can avoid them, and then maybe just some popular brands in different "taste categories" or whatever so I can start learning the different aspects of taste and narrow in on what I like.

Forgot to mention, I went to Bevmo awhile ago to grab a "fancy" beer to try and picked out one called Mississippi Mud that I ended up loving.

EL Beefo

dr3upmushroom said:
Sacramento, California.

Pale Ale: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Porter: Deschutes Black Butte Porter
IPA: Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA
Wit: Blue Moon
Hefe: Widmere Hefe (not the best but one of the most widely available, if you can find it, Sierra Nevada's Hefe is amazing)
Lager: Session

Those are my recommendations for ones that are usually easy to find. They aren't necessarily my favorites, but they're all good.

In addition to the growler of Rogue Juniper Pale Ale last night, a buddy brought over a growler of Schooner Exact's Constellation IPA. Good night sitting outside with our wives playing Settlers of Catan and drinking beer.

fenners

sharkmuncher said:
Really depressing news for AL homebrewers. Oh the stupidity here.

Yeah, been following it on homebrew forums. Alvin Holmes in particular is an idiot :(

House parties? Chivas? The fuss over 100 gallons... "parents will make it for their children"?? The fuss over a /beer tasting/?? So much misunderstanding over the hobby of homebrew.

Bah.

But what's to keep that bootlegger and his wife? Clearly, if the law allows for non-commercial production of a hundred gallons of non-distilled alcoholic beverages per household per year, that gives him and his wife free reign to each make 400 gallons of whatever and sell it to school children, right?

MacGurcules said:
But what's to keep that bootlegger and his wife? Clearly, if the law allows for non-commercial production of a hundred gallons of non-distilled alcoholic beverages per household per year, that gives him and his wife free reign to each make 400 gallons of whatever and sell it to school children, right?

Exactly.
An ChivaRegl is certify by a gubment.

thespot84

Yaboosh said:
I couldn't lift my jaw off the floor during that entire bit.

What is...what is this M-E-A-D mead?

Fake Edit: While i'm here, i don't get the love for Sierra Nevada Pale. I know i'm spoiled and all living in CO, but seriously, I feel like they dissolved a loaf of bread in it before bottling, soooo heavy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
thespot84 said:
What is...what is this M-E-A-D mead?

Fake Edit: While i'm here, i don't get the love for Sierra Nevada Pale. I know i'm spoiled and all living in CO, but seriously, I feel like they dissolved a loaf of bread in it before bottling, soooo heavy.
Sounds like it was either old or you are crazy. SNPA is a perfect pale ale.

thespot84

Yaboosh said:
Sounds like it was either old or you are crazy. SNPA is a perfect pale ale.

5 Barrel and Mirror Pond are perfect IMHO, but I've avoided SNPA for a while so I suppose I could be convinced to try it again. I will however say it's rare that I find SNPA the best option on a menu at any given time, so it's hard.

It's been made public, so I can finally share that Deschutes' brewmaster will be leaving in 6 months to start up his own brewery in Bend, OR. Can't wait to see what Larry does next.

Ilúvatar

Finally got my hands on Dogfish Head's Hellhound, I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed, the lemon hardly came through at all.

Ilúvatar said:
Finally got my hands on Dogfish Head's Hellhound, I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed, the lemon hardly came through at all.

I actually found the lemon to be overly strong and too much for me.

Top Bottom