• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

sharkmuncher said:
Depends on the pot and the stove. The stove in my apartment can just barely get 6 gallons going with my kettle over 2 burners. I will probably be moving to a propane burner and brew in my parking lot whenever it is nice enough outside.

Make sure to put some foil down between the burners. The radiant heat is pretty extreme and will burn nasty, hard to remove stains if there is any kind of food or anything on the surface between the burners.
I'll have to give this a try, thanks. My stove is a ceramic top, so I'm not sure if that will make a difference but it's worth a shot.

My most recent brew was a simple American Wheat kit from Northern Brewer. I wanted something light for the summer. After 2 weeks in the primary, I racked it onto 3 lbs of apricot puree and let it sit for another 2 weeks. I bottled last weekend, and if un-carbed samples are any indication, this is going to be one hell of a lawnmower beer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
distantmantra said:
Beer Advocate feels differently, and this is pretty consistent with everything I've heard from people in the beer industry. Some of this applies to corked beers, other parts apply to all sealed beers.
None of that has to do with capped beers. Ignoring oxygen scavenging caps, the liner of caps is passive and non-reactive, just like the lining of cans.

thespot84

Yaboosh said:
None of that has to do with capped beers. Ignoring oxygen scavenging caps, the liner of caps is passive and non-reactive, just like the lining of cans.

In theory you're totally right, but I was speaking from personal experience, I've had some weird shit build up near the cap after storing beer on it's side. Maybe it's even that more surface area of the beer is exposed when on it's side and it allows it to oxygenate faster, who knows, but probably not worth the risk.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
thespot84 said:
In theory you're totally right, but I was speaking from personal experience, I've had some weird shit build up near the cap after storing beer on it's side. Maybe it's even that more surface area of the beer is exposed when on it's side and it allows it to oxygenate faster, who knows, but probably not worth the risk.
I'm sorry, let me clarify.

Beer should absolutely be stored upright all the time.

The reasons just have nothing to do with the beer reacting with the cap.

Anno

Question for the homebrewing folks: I live in a rather small apartment with neither a dark nor cool area to let everything ferment. Is there still something I could do? I've always wanted to try homebrewing for fun and experimentation.

fenners

Anno said:
Question for the homebrewing folks: I live in a rather small apartment with neither a dark nor cool area to let everything ferment. Is there still something I could do? I've always wanted to try homebrewing for fun and experimentation.

A lot of people use the "swamp cooler" idea....

Recently been trying Lagers from as many different countries as possible. Have had others previously but these are the one's since i've been keeping tabs:

Tsingtao - China
Ekstra - Lithuania
Tiger - Singapore
Singha - Thailand
Birra Moretti - Italy
Baltika - Russia
Chang - Thailand
Stella Artois - Belgium
Asahi - Japan
Budweiser - USA
Pilsner Urquell - Czech Rep
San Miguel - Spain
Tusker - Kenya

Best has been the Kenyan Tusker, was really good

Anno said:

If you don't want to go the swampcooler route as the above poster mentioned, you could always stick with brews that do well at higher temps (mid to upper 70s, I assume it's not hotter than that in your apartment). A lot of Belgian yeasts like that temperature range. As far as a dark area is concerned, I've found a black t-shirt over the carboy works just as well as a closet.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
yh0kG.jpg

Latest acquisitions.

I had some German smokebeer this week. It was gross. Smelled and tasted like drinking a campfire. Anyone had smokebeer?

Anyway, this weekend I'm drinking this:

poRBU.jpg

TOFsOl.jpg

Friday afternoon experiment.
Blue Star Wheat Beer (a nice neutral American Wheat)
3 different versions of Sleepytime. (which if you have never tried, you need to go get some immediately, so good)
A. steeped for 6 min in 6 oz of near boiling water, then cooled 24 hrs.
B. steeped @ 4°C for 24 hrs
C. steeped @ 4°C in vodka for 24 hrs

I then added 1 Tbsp of each solution to a ~3 oz taster.

First, A. was by far the best tea. B. Tasted grassy and C. tasted like cheap vodka and grassy.
When mixed with the beer, the tea gives a nice minty cooling flavor, but with no smell and no toothpastey taste like I have read happens to many brewers when mint is added. I then added a second Tbsp to one of the tasters, still good, just more pronounced tea flavor. I'm going to have to have some of my friends taste to get a consensus, personally, I am going for the 2 Tbsp version. I think thwe plan will be to scale this up and add a proportional amount of brewed tea to a 2° of wheat beer for a homebrew fest next month. I encourage anyone here who is interested to add some sleepytime to a neutral wheat beer and let me know what you think.

Also, a picture of Monk's Cafe Flanders Red, because it is one of the greatest beers ever:
gInEAl.jpg

And a picture of New Belgium's new summer seasonal, Somersault:
MCUC3l.jpg

I was really unimpressed with this beer. I was a big fan of Skinny Dip (which was replaced by Somersault this year) so I may be biased, but I thought it had a really bready yeast character and not much else. Sad.

One More:
Z9bWql.jpg

Ska's Mexican Logger. Really impressed with this. Nice clean Lager with some sweet almost fruity character. I can see this being very dangerous.

Ben Pierce said:
goodbeer.jpg

Samuel Smith Tadcaster Taddy Porter

Just a good, smooth dark beer. Creamy like Guiness, but I think it's better than Guiness.
Yum. Pretty much everything I have had from Samuel Smith's has been amazing, and the porter was no exception. I am a huge fan of their Oatmeal Stout.

sharkmuncher said:
Yum. Pretty much everything I have had from Samuel Smith's has been amazing, and the porter was no exception. I am a huge fan of their Oatmeal Stout.

Definitely a fan of the Oatmeal Stout myself. Sammy Smith is just quality beer all around.

Decado

sharkmuncher said:
Their Oatmeal Stout is my favourite stout (*really* expensive here). Really like their Nut Brown, as well.

I'm working on a Sam Adams Summer Ale, and I am not impressed. At all. I usually like Sam, but this is not his brew. Maybe it's just me...I can't get into strictly wheat beer. I need something like Blue Moon to hide the wheat taste. Blech.

No picture necessary for this one, guys. Pass it up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Speaking of Blue Moon, it's what I'm downing tonight. It's a pretty nice brew. It's better with a fresh orange slice but whatever, I'll drink it either way.

Ben Pierce said:
... I think it's better than Guiness.

Guinness draught? What isn't? Honestly, I order it all the time out of habit, but if I'm being honest it's actually quite bland and boring.

Now Guinness Extra Stout, on the other hand ... :)

NEOPARADIGM said:
Guinness draught? What isn't? Honestly, I order it all the time out of habit, but if I'm being honest it's actually quite bland and boring.

Now Guinness Extra Stout, on the other hand ... :)

Oh, yes, definitely. Draught is the only thing I can find on draft, but extra stout is available in stores. I usually just get draught out of habit,too, but I much prefer the extra stout myself.

tokkun

Fleet_of_Foot said:
I had some German smokebeer this week. It was gross. Smelled and tasted like drinking a campfire. Anyone had smokebeer?

I haven't had any German smoked beers, but I do enjoy a smoked porter from time to time. Not a style that I would want to drink every day, but a nice change of pace once in a while.

Little taste of my afternoon, just the specials list of the 2011 Sunfest in Omaha!

We have 14 Special Release Beers at this year's fest to go along with the nearly 200 beers. Check out this list of Special Brews.

3:30 - Empyrean-Chaco Canyon Honey Gold infused with Barenjager from the cask
3:45 - Boulevard Hoppy Wheat on draft
4:00 - Great River Imperial Dry Hopped Red Ale on draft
4:15 - Tallgrass Golden Rabbit-Halcyon Wheat with apricot and orange peel from the cask
4:30 - Sierra Ovila Dubbel
4:45 - Upstream- Nebraska Coffee Stout on draft
5:00 – Empyrean Picante Smoke Ale
5:15 - Odell Myrcenary Double IPA
5:30 - Boulevard Saison with Brett
5:45 - Breckenridge Regal Pils
6:00 - Madhouse Hop Burst IPA
6:15 - Sierra Southern Hemisphere
6:30 - Odell Double Pils
6:45 - Great River Red Band Coffee Stout
7:00 – Madhouse Honey Pils
Poured while they last!

Don't miss out on Sunfest, bigger and better than ever.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Fenderputty said:
I loved the Scaldis when I had it. Great Beer. I wish imported Belgiums were chepaer though.

Loves me some Scaldis. Yeah, I wish they were cheaper as well. The Scaldis was like $10.99 I think. The Boulevard Saison-Brett, though, was the most expensive out of that bunch at $11.99.

InVinoVeritas said:
I recently discovered this gem at a local restaurant. It's been a fixture in my house ever since.
5DbLM.jpg

This stuff is sooo good. It's like drinking a pine tree. Such a good deal too, since it comes in 6-packs. Southern Tier could easily sell this stuff in bombers.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Buffalo-Small.png

Buffalo Sweat stout. Aftertaste is bourbon. One of the best aftertastes to a stout I have had in a while.

Diseased Yak said:
yh0kG.jpg

Latest acquisitions.

Saison Breit is stellar. Really tasty.

Fleet_of_Foot said:

I love Rauchbier. Not as much as smoked porters, but still, very tasty. They're particularly good with barbecue. Have one with a brat or some ribs (or a pork steak, if you are close enough to St. Louis to get one)

I just picked up Founders Blushing Monk, a Raspberry Belgian. Oh yeah. It's about to get dominated.

Also, I couldn't find this with the search, so apologies if it has been posted:

The American Homebrewers Association's Top 50 beers in America

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/best-beers-america_n_887706.html

1. Russian River Pliny the Elder
2. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
3 (tie). Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
3 (tie). Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
5. Bell’s Hopslam
6. Stone Arrogant Bastard
7. Sierra Nevada Celebration
8 (tie). Sierra Nevada Torpedo
8 (tie). Stone Ruination
10. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
11. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
12. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
13. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
14 (tie). Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
14 (tie). Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale
16 (tie). Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
16 (tie). New Glarus Belgian Red
18. North Coast Old Rasputin
19. Bell’s Expedition Stout
20 (tie). Deschutes The Abyss
20 (tie). Left Hand Milk Stout
20 (tie). Odell IPA
20 (tie). Samuel Adams Noble Pils
20 (tie). Surly Furious
20 (tie). Troegs Nugget Nectar
26 (tie). Rogue Dead Guy Ale
26 (tie). Samuel Adams Boston Lager
28. Anchor Steam
29 (tie). Bear Republic Racer 5
29 (tie). Ommegang Three Philosophers
29 (tie). Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
29 (tie). Three Floyds Alpha King
29 (tie). Three Floyds Dark Lord
34 (tie). Avery Maharaja
34 (tie). Dogfish Head Indian Brown
34 (tie). Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
34 (tie). Three Floyds Gumballhead
38 (tie). Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
38 (tie). Lost Abbey Angel’s Share
38 (tie). New Belgium La Folie
38 (tie). New Belgium Ranger
38 (tie). Oskar Blues Old Chub
43 (tie). Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
43 (tie). Great Divide Yeti
43 (tie). New Belgium 1554
43 (tie). Russian River Blind Pig
43 (tie). Ska Modus Hoperandi
48 (tie). Alesmith Speedway Stout
48 (tie). Dark Horse Crooked Tree
48 (tie). Green Flash West Coast IPA
48 (tie). Summit EPA
48 (tie). Victory Prima Pils

distantmantra said:
6/29/11 batch of bottled Pliny hit Seattle yesterday. It's still out there, so go pick it up. I got my two bottles, so I'm good.

Just got some from the same batch.

Stumbled across it at Saleh's mini-mart in Ballard. They still had at least 8 bottles there if anyone in the area is looking for some.

Excited to try it tonight, heard too many good things about it.

Spent the last couple days up in Vancouver, BC.

25zm6ib.jpg

Picked up some stuff I can't get back home in Seattle (R&B, Baird from Japan). They also had Westvleteren 8 (label added by the Canadian distributors). My cellar now has Westy 8 and 12 hanging out in it.

outunderthestars said:
yes, yes it is. Every year I buy more to cellar and drink over the course of the year. Every year I run out earlier.

One day companies will stop making good stouts as a winter seasonal......

Huh? Parabola came out in June.

More beer pics.
In honor of last night's Lucky Bucket Sunday Session, I figured I'd snag their whole lineup.
9PVool.jpg

We have their Lager, a nice flavorful light lager, their IPA, a really crisp, easy drinking IPA and Certified Evil, a Dark Belgian Strong? or Imperial Porter? (they don't even know what to call it.
I highly recommend it to anyone who can find it in ther NE, MN or TN markets. It has an amazing fruity aroma from the raisin puree added to the wort. Then a clean, crisp finish distict from most Belgian styles due to using a neutral yeast strain and a pretty decent amount of hops. Incredibly unique beer.

Sumidor

distantmantra said:
Rogue is a bunch of dicks. I'm done with them.
I've heard this a lot around here too, but no one really ever says why. I've met a few of the guys who brew for them, and they're pretty nice guys.

Sumidor said:
I've heard this a lot around here too, but no one really ever says why. I've met a few of the guys who brew for them, and they're pretty nice guys.

There have been articles coming out recently about Rogue treating employees terribly.

My big problem is the insane hubris they've developed in recent years. They make a TON of their beer and it's easily found everywhere in the PNW, yet they have the balls to charge $5 more than everyone else for a 6-pack. There are breweries putting out comparable if not better stuff for less money. Plus, if you go to their brewpubs, a growler fill is more than buying a 6-pack of their beer. I understand the whole "fresh beer is better beer" argument, but why would I buy a growler of anything that's bottled when it's highway robbery?

http://thenewschoolbrewblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/going-rogue-part-2-interview-with-brett.html

sharkmuncher said:
More beer pics.
In honor of last night's Lucky Bucket Sunday Session, I figured I'd snag their whole lineup.
9PVool.jpg

We have their Lager, a nice flavorful light lager, their IPA, a really crisp, easy drinking IPA and Certified Evil, a Dark Belgian Strong? or Imperial Porter? (they don't even know what to call it.
I highly recommend it to anyone who can find it in ther NE, MN or TN markets. It has an amazing fruity aroma from the raisin puree added to the wort. Then a clean, crisp finish distict from most Belgian styles due to using a neutral yeast strain and a pretty decent amount of hops. Incredibly unique beer.

Is Lucky Bucket easily found at grocery stores in Omaha? Never saw it when I was there for Thanksgiving.

elfinke

Some stunning dark beers ITT.

I recently had one of these:

1V1Jp.jpg

and it was pretty damn good. Any other AusGAF suggestions for stuff like it?

distantmantra said:
Is Lucky Bucket easily found at grocery stores in Omaha? Never saw it when I was there for Thanksgiving.
The Lager is everywhere. The IPA is becoming more common and the Certified Evil is still pretty much just in more dedicated craft brew stores. Surprisingly, Whole Foods apparently has pretty good contracts with Lucky Bucket and that seems to be one of the places that consistently has it in Omaha and apparently this is true in the few other states they distribute as well.

sharkmuncher said:
Surprisingly, Whole Foods apparently has pretty good contracts with Lucky Bucket and that seems to be one of the places that consistently has it in Omaha and apparently this is true in the few other states they distribute as well.

That's not surprising at all, actually. Whole Foods is one of the biggest sellers of craft beer nationwide. I'm always amazed at the stuff that shows up at my neighborhood WF as opposed to the dedicated bottle shops.

Awesome about the Omaha WF. My in-laws live really close to it.

HiResDes

elfinke said:
Some stunning dark beers ITT.

I recently had one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/1V1Jp.jpg/IMG]

and it was pretty damn good. Any other AusGAF suggestions for stuff like it?[/QUOTE]
Do you get a lot of American stuff in Australia?...

If so try Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout, Smuttynose's Robust Porter or Rogue's Double Mocha Porter

Top Bottom