• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders isn't ruling out a 2020 presidential run

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Unfortunately he might be too old at that point but I hope he gives his blessing to someone else that can run on his popular messages.

I seriously doubt Warren is the answer either.

People seem to overlook the fact that Warren will be older than Trump is at her hypothetical 2021 inauguration, and Trump is already set to be the oldest starting president of all time.

The person leading the country should have to live in it for more than 5 or so years after they retire.

vainya

Neo Member
If he wants to support the Democratic Party's chair, does that mean he's going to give up on being an Independent? Also, running in 2020 would be selfish. He'll be too old and voters will automatically disqualify him because of his age.

I can get behind him grooming the next generation of liberals though.

FZZ

Banned
I truly wish he was just 5 years younger

he was too old for me in the primaries no way hed be healthy enough for a run in 2020

i think hes just giving us hope and faith, bernie find a successor and teach them your way

the fire nation attacked and we need the Avatar

Maybe too old but at this point you could just do a real Weekend at Bernie's and wheel his dead ass around. Still be a better option than anyone else in 4 years.

Glix

I'm one of those people who kind of smirked at the Bernie phenomenon a year ago, but now with President Elect Trump, I'm looking over my shoulder and realizing we missed out.

I'm not sure he would have done well against Trump though. If Hillary is miss corruption then Bernie would have been made out to be a pinko commie stealing all your money with taxes.

But it doesn't matter. He could slit gay throats every weekend, as long as middle america felt that he would ease their economic anxiety.

Right guys?

The buried lead here is Keith Ellison running for DNC chair. Ellison is a really great guy, good congressman, and a pretty reasonable bridge between the Bernie crew and the actual Democratic party. He's also the first ever Muslim-American congressman, so it's a direct thumb in Trump's eye.
I'm up for this.

Real Hero

I'm not sure he would have done well against Trump though. If Hillary is miss corruption then Bernie would have been made out to be a pinko commie stealing all your money with taxes.

they say that anyway. this wasn't a left wing vs right wing thing, thinking that way will lead to another loss

zethren

Banned
The buried lead here is Keith Ellison running for DNC chair. Ellison is a really great guy, good congressman, and a pretty reasonable bridge between the Bernie crew and the actual Democratic party. He's also the first ever Muslim-American congressman, so it's a direct thumb in Trump's eye.

Yes, definitely.

I would vote for Bernie again, but I'd love to see Ellison make a run for it.

DavidDesu

At the very least he should do all he can to sort out the Democratic Party and make it what it should be rather than what it thought it should be, what has now been shown to be completely incapable of winning over voters even in the face of the ridiculousness and vileness of Trump. Sanders could possibly be President right now if the establishment centredness/hawkishness which Clinton represented had been eschewed.

Ithil

He would certainly get a lot of support and backing this time, but he'd be almost 80, older than Trump is, and he's the oldest president yet.

I'd rather see Joe Biden on the ticket with Michelle Obama (or Barack) as the VP pick.

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

MartyStu

I'd rather see Joe Biden on the ticket with Michelle Obama (or Barack) as the VP pick.

Nah, if the current mood continues, then Bernie is definitely the correct pick.

But so, so old though...

He would certainly get a lot of support and backing this time, but he'd be almost 80, older than Trump is, and he's the oldest president yet.

This is part of the entire tragedy. The party needed Sanders to make a showing on the national stage in order to actually respect him, but now he has a measure of that, he really should not run. The saddest part is that, other than 2004, he had no other he could have really done this.

DarkKyo

YES!!! Dude is going to be going strong at 90. He's got great health and a ton of energy for his age. I'd support him again in a second.

phanphare

Banned
Nice. Fight on, Sanders.

oh I missed that. sounds like all the support Bernie got during the primaries made him realize that the future of the democratic party is what he's been preaching for his whole career, therefore nullifying the need for him to remain an independent. love it.

Sephzilla

If he runs in 2020 I think he legitimately might have a shot. Yeah, he'll be pretty cold. But look at all of the states Bernie won in the primaries that Hillary couldn't carry in the general election

Aurongel

He wouldn't stand a chance but I think whoever the 2020 candidate is will likely be someone we've never heard of and their policies will be closer to his than Hillary's. Bernie had support in many of the areas where she sunk but he had a multitude of other issues that Trump would have easily exploited.

fantomena

Whoever runs in 2020 must fight to get Bernies fully endorsement.

Bernie supports him. :)

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/11/10/sanders-decries-working-class-vote-for-trump

Keith Ellison is my Congressman, and, although I have some reservations over how he handled protests after the shooting of Jamar Clark in Minneapolis last winter, he's certainly left of Clinton and has a social democratic spirit without having an outright antagonistic relationship with neoliberals in the party. He'd be a perfect choice for DNC chair.

He should run with Tulsi Gabbard as his VP.

Although maybe we should get new blood in the party. So maybe Gabbard with someone else as the VP?

Heartfyre

His age was already being used against him in this campaign. Imagine the next? It'll need to be someone else, but he can keep up the good fight in the meantime. Someone has to.

studyguy

Whoever runs in 2020 must fight to get Bernies fully endorsement.

That's assuming the Sanders type crowd even stays relevant into the Midterms and the coming years. My money is most of the people hot on him forget by mid 2017 that politics even exists. Everyone is running high right now but it's not about right now, turn out two years from now is what counts and it's not about the president, it's about the midterms where dems never care.

If he's smart, he finds someone else to be his chosen one and build their hype for the next 4 years. Get them branded as 'Bernie but Better', I dunno. Guess it might be hard to replicate the hype but it might be the only option.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, Ellison would be a tremendous chairman and this has gone sadly underlooked for someone who deserves more.

Scipio

Sanders/Biden ticket yes

(seriously though, Michelle really could work)

But I'd love to see some real progressive president à la Sanders, with a democratic Congress. Hopefully the SC judges hold on till then.

daegan

I think he'all be too old and when people lose the mom the first time and get it the next they tend not to win. Would love to see him running the DNC but he's not a Dem.

Nah, if the current mood continues, then Bernie is definitely the correct pick.

But so, so old though...

This is part of the entire tragedy. The party needed Sanders to make a showing on the national stage in order to actually respect him, but now he has a measure of that, he really should not run. The saddest part is that, other than 2004, he had no other he could have really done this.

You know that if Biden had not had such a horrible 2015 and the grief was more bearable he'd have been able to mount the campaign the DNC needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom