• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Syder

The chase before the Eclipse is not as good cause it's not with that sadistic demon guy and his band of women impaling raiders, Guts doesn't get that sick ass fight scene.
I think they wanted to limit the amount of demon stuff they revealed prior to
The Eclipse
, so that it was more shocking when the world went to shit. As good as the chase with Wyald was in the Manga I actually kinda like how they did it in the Anime although I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps it's because Griffith's disabilities had been largely hidden up until that point and having them revealed by the Midland army was devastating to see.

But Wyald still revealed how fucked up Griffith was. The only thing that changes is that it was done by a much nicer human and Guts didn't have a long drawn out fight scene where he stabs the thing in the neck multiple times. Plus we are robbed of Zodd showing up and ripping Wyald in half. Even though the manga showed plenty of demon influence before the eclipse it didn't lessen the impact of the world going tits up in a most grotesque manner.

Moaradin

The anime still had the first episode which showed the Snake apostle and all of the Godhand. Plus it still had Zodd in all his glory so limiting the demon stuff doesn't make much sense to me.

That original hirasawa music though
twitch_emoticon___kreygasm_by_centaurman_plz-d8krl6r.png

I think they wanted to limit the amount of demon stuff they revealed prior to
The Eclipse
, so that it was more shocking when the world went to shit. As good as the chase with Wyald was in the Manga I actually kinda like how they did it in the Anime although I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps it's because Griffith's disabilities had been largely hidden up until that point and having them revealed by the Midland army was devastating to see.

I don't think there are any creative reasons. I suppose the sexual nature of Wyald was the reason he was cut. As Moaradin mention there's already demoniacal representations prior to it. Also Wyald is a great element in the story. I wrote before in this thread

He is a reminder of the creatures who habit that land , an extremely ruthless strong opponent of Guts and the entire band (putting the entire rescue of Grffith at stake). I do love seeing Guts , whom we go through so much and know how strong he became, scared as shit but still fighting with everything he has experiencing near death .

He serves as a huge contrast when the Eclipse occurs because we saw how strong one apostle was. An entire army of them presents the hellish nature of the Occultation Ceremony and an inescapable death for the Band.

Also , the fight is fun as fuck.

And we never got this

zodd_by_kira919-d51wtfj.jpg

Yo Griffith's Bishounen level is like cranked up to 12 for the movie. 40 minutes in and they're already at Guts' fight with Zodd? They're just machine gunning through the plot like, "We're sure you read the manga and if you haven't then tough luck!"

Yo Griffith's Bishounen level is like cranked up to 12 for the movie. 40 minutes in and they're already at Guts' fight with Zodd? They're just machine gunning through the plot like, "We're sure you read the manga and if you haven't then tough luck!"
Compared to the anime, the first movie covers like the first ten episodes in seventy-six minutes. It's ridiculous.

Compared to the anime, the first movie covers like the first ten episodes in seventy-six minutes. It's ridiculous.
I didn't even bother watching the second movie cause they pretty much told you what happened during the preview after the first one (It was that long and I read the manga so I already knew what was what). The Descent was OK, but I can safely say the only good version of Berserk is the manga. The anime is pretty much a good but toned down commercial and the movies are nothing more than a mere ADHD fueled music video equivalent where there is almost no sense of pacing and shit just happens as if the plot is sprayed out of a fucking minigun.
giphy.gif

The movies at least did the Eclipse better so I'll give it that. Still annoyed that they acted like Wyald doesn't exist. Wyald needs to be shown so you can get a better sense at how fucked the world is about to get and sets up how on another fucking level Zodd is cause he just swooped in and broke him half like a fucking graham cracker.

Moaradin

At least the movie had Skull Knight. So stupid to cut him out of the anime. I don't even remember how they got out of that situation without him.

At least the movie had Skull Knight. So stupid to cut him out of the anime. I don't even remember how they got out of that situation without him.

Because it cuts off before they get out. And then after the credits Guts is at the old smith's house.

Anyway, Jaded, I disagree. The anime is awesome, it got me and later six of my friends into Berserk. As I've stated several times, including in the OP, it should be watched before reading the manga. Then again, I've rewatched it twice and still loved it.

Oh god I didn't even know there was an after credits sequence. I literally just said what the fuck, laughed and stopped watching. Oh I'm not calling the anime bad, it's just a bit toned down violence wise. I was watching this thing expecting the same level of head smashing with eyeballs flying that I got from the manga, but I did like it. Also seems to have the most accurate depiction of Caska, cause I'm quite sure Caska is meant to be darker than what they colored her as in the movies. I've seen bad anime and Berserk isn't bad to say the least, also gave me a better view of Griffith as a character so I think it does help to watch it, just as you said before reading the manga cause you're going to notice the edits and it will get in the way slightly.

Descent also has a post credits scene which is really good. Gave me hope that the fourth movie might be decent.
Is the post credits scene in the R18 version? I was watching something on youtube and then it just crashed after he was fighting the ghosts and I was just like, "you know what, I've read this already" and just left it at that.
Still waiting on that fourth movie.

I do like all the cameos though, like Puck, Farnese, and Serpico.
I do like how they included Puck, Puck's too important to write out in my opinion. Farnese is so far my favorite female character in the manga...especially since Caska is pretty much a damn vegetable. I just started volume 19, so no spoilers please.

Is the post credits scene in the R18 version? I was watching something on youtube and then it just crashed after he was fighting the ghosts and I was just like, "you know what, I've read this already" and just left it at that.

Not a clue. I saw all the movies in cinema.

Not a clue. I saw all the movies in cinema.
Ok, I will admit that The Descent wasn't too bad of a movie, didn't seem too rushed really...though why did they cut out someone disrobing Griffith and showing what's left of the Band of the Hawk that Griffith is fucked? That's a pivotal scene and heart breaking in a way.

Beginning of volume 19. Last thing I remember is Farnese doing the business to a thought from her past regarding setting people on fire. I'm really starting to think Farnese does not have normal sex and her trying to fuck Guts' sword wasn't 100% demon possession.

Descent also has a post credits scene which is really good. Gave me hope that the fourth movie might be decent.
Isn't that just like the anime with Guts suiting up at Godo's, then walking out into the new world with "this is just the beginning"? Or was there more? I have the U.S. Bluray, and that was it.

Because it cuts off before they get out. And then after the credits Guts is at the old smith's house.

Anyway, Jaded, I disagree. The anime is awesome, it got me and later six of my friends into Berserk. As I've stated several times, including in the OP, it should be watched before reading the manga. Then again, I've rewatched it twice and still loved it.
I've watched it thrice, and will gladly rewatch.

That Farnese scene.

NSFW

thingken of bags
6rCUK6M.jpg

The anime cutting skull knight implies that Casca was raped to death and Guts was left alive to wander the earth to kill demons as an unfeeling monster.

Pretty messed up when you think about it.

Isn't that just like the anime with Guts suiting up at Godo's, then walking out into the new world with "this is just the beginning"? Or was there more? I have the U.S. Bluray, and that was it.
If I'm remembering right it was Guts waking up, seeing what's become of Caska, running through the forest, slashing ghosts, Skully explaining the Brand and then Guts gears up at Godot's Steelworks & Bedding.

Guts and Puck's reaction to possessed Farnese is what made it for me.
Even Guts didn't know what to say, shit was hilarious. So far that's the best use of fan service in the manga, that and the attempted horse rape.

Edit

Why does this goat demon thing have a snake penis?

That Guts vs Serpico fight was bad ass!

I'm really liking the direction the story is going in. I read volume 26 a few days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. The character development,
the appearance of Slan, the Sword of Actuation and of course, the Berserker Armor!
However - it's the smaller details that I really appreciate. Miura rewards you for paying close attention. In volume 4 Griffith says to Guts to keep the enemy busy and protect the escape of the allies from the rearguard - and in this volume Guts trusts Isidro and says to him the exact same thing!

That Guts vs Serpico fight was bad ass!

Yep, it definitely was. It's really memorable. It was the moment Serpico went from a good character to an amazing one. I love how it showed just how clever and skilled he actually is. The best part of it though is the look on his face right after the fight. He's like "did I seriously just do that?!" I just hope Miura doesn't kill him off!

Yep, it definitely was. It's really memorable. It was the moment Serpico went from a good character to an amazing one. I love how it showed just how clever and skilled he actually is. The best part of it though is the look on his face right after the fight. He's like "did I seriously just do that?!" I just hope Miura doesn't kill him off!
Yeah even Guts was shocked from what Serpico did. I'm at the beginning of Volume 21 and um...Mozgus...what the hell man? Dude went from bible thumping torturer to bible thumping angel to bible thumping lizard man thing with fists for wings. Like seriously? I'm honestly waiting for Farnese to stop being shocked by everything and stroll in and try to chop Mozgus' head off. We all know that woman is stronger than she thinks she is since she managed to restrain Guts on the ground and rape his sword. I'm still assuming that's only 50% demon possession since Farnese seems really sexually frustrated and or demented.

Veelk

Banned
What's an interesting point is that serpico would probably beat pre-eclipse Griffith in aa duel. Even in a straight up fight, he and guts got a even hit on each other while guts snapped Griffiths sword when he left. With serpicosserpicos strategic mind, he could very well have overcome him.

What I can glean off of Serpico is that he knows how to use the battlefield to help him and how to use it against his enemy. I think Serpico only really lost the mountain fight because he never anticipated Guts catching his sword with is bare hand and then snapping it with his metal one. Serpico also seems a lot faster than Griffith was cause he made damn sure Guts couldn't draw his sword and even at the end dodged his arrows at damn near point blank range. Griffith never displayed that kind of speed. What also helped Serpico with Guts is that he's not emotionally preoccupied with Guts like Griffith is.

If I'm remembering right it was Guts waking up, seeing what's become of Caska, running through the forest, slashing ghosts, Skully explaining the Brand and then Guts gears up at Godot's Steelworks & Bedding.
Oh, so it's the same. The movie ends in the field as dawn approaches, then post credits is Guts arming himself then leaving.

In the middle of volume 22 and new Griffith is straight up fucking cold. Shocked to see Guts hold his own against Zodd too. He wasn't level grinding on those Apostles for nothing.

Almost done with volume 22. I'm at the flashback that shows how farnese and Serpico met. Yup her craziness is all starting to make some serious sense now. She's always been loopy as fuck holy shit. Griffith 2.0 rescues a village by stabbing some guy in the eyeball like the T1000 and then a bunch of OP knights that look like Dark Souls 2 bosses show up and merc an entire army.

Man Farnese has shit parents. Serpico seems to be the only one able to understand her, now I just feel sorry for her.

Veelk

Banned
You haven't seen the dark soul dudes apostle forms. The dude with the shield's is intense as fuck. Get in that asap.

She does seem to like whipping and burning people. I guess Guts' only way out is Dragonslayer. The fact that Serpico is the one with the sanity and scruples out of those two is probably one of the scariest revelations in Berserk. Finished volume 22, Serpico...bruh has seen some shit. Serving under/with Farnese isn't a sunshine fairy tale, I mean it started off like that but mother of fucking god it spiraled more and more downwards after every page turn.

What I can glean off of Serpico is that he knows how to use the battlefield to help him and how to use it against his enemy. I think Serpico only really lost the mountain fight because he never anticipated Guts catching his sword with is bare hand and then snapping it with his metal one. Serpico also seems a lot faster than Griffith was cause he made damn sure Guts couldn't draw his sword and even at the end dodged his arrows at damn near point blank range. Griffith never displayed that kind of speed. What also helped Serpico with Guts is that he's not emotionally preoccupied with Guts like Griffith is.

Serpico prepared the whole scenario to handicap Guts, and it did, and he still won. It is pretty clear at the end of the fight, that Serpico recognises he is no match for Guts. And that is fine, almost no one is who doesn't have 'cheating' powers. I mean he could probably defeat human form Zodd without the Berserk armour now...Guts is meant to be a force of nature. The apostles are supernatural forces. He is the anti-apostle. Eh wait a minute, he is using the Berserk armour now...maybe my ramble falls apart...

Serpico is extremely skilled and intelligent, but doesn't have Guts insanity which pushes him over the edge.

Top Bottom