• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Man in the anime this sums up Guts when Zodd transforms right in front of him:
1409456359_1386827642_18jagum_17dkdbvg.gif

Don't know if I can post this here but I just got my Guts Statue in :)

img_20151031_1435524mlkp.jpg

img_20151031_143747p8ayo.jpg

Sexy! I got an email from AmiAmi a few days ago telling me that they came in stock. I paid for it just the other day and selected EMS shipping - so it should arrive fairly soon. I was worried that it was going to be delayed again, so I was really happy when I got the email. Now I just have to find a place somewhere in my room to actually put him.

I've been watching the anime and it's really starting to help me rethink Griffith a bit. I don't really see him as some emotionless robot. The dude feels, he talks in a cold steely manner and he's calculated, but when something doesn't go according to plan or he actually starts to talk about what drives him you can tell he feels. I actually think he has the most intense feelings, but he keeps them buried deep to the point that his emotions become volatile, like when he gets to the point where he can only cope through self affliction.

Syder

I've been watching the anime and it's really starting to help me rethink Griffith a bit. I don't really see him as some emotionless robot. The dude feels, he talks in a cold steely manner and he's calculated, but when something doesn't go according to plan or he actually starts to talk about what drives him you can tell he feels. I actually think he has the most intense feelings, but he keeps them buried deep to the point that his emotions become volatile, like when he gets to the point where he can only cope through self affliction.
Griffith was a puckish rogue at best and a power hungry warlord at worst.

People love to hate Griffith... and by Griffith, I mean Femto, and specifically for him raping Casca. I understand that sentiment completely but I've never interpreted Femto and Griffith as being the same person. The God Hand aren't Gods, they're incredibly powerful beings but they are still tools all the same. Mere mortals view the Behelits as a means to ascend to higher power but much like Apostles aren't anything divine, neither are the God Hand members. When humans ascend to the God Hand they become twisted caricatures of themselves. Femto wears a skin suit of Griffith's own armour and with unmatched power was able to act out any evil he so desired. I'd hazard a guess and say that Slan was perhaps a victim of sexual slavery as a human and so intends to inflict as much sexual, sadomasochistic pain on her victims as possible.

Femto never showed any desire to take a throne as far I can remember prior to being resurrected as 'Griffith'. Falconia and The Neo Band of the Hawk weren't founded until after he was resurrected and those are things I would associate with the human Griffith's desire. Whether or not the resurrected 'Griffith' is Griffith or Femto is definitely up for debate, it's been noted that he is visually different to Golden Age Griffith.

Yeah I have. Bouncing ideas around regarding the characters and their motivations is a lot of fun for me, that and I do like poking fun at certain things. I'm at the conviction arc and that blacksmith on his death bed just finished dropping some hardcore truth bombs on Guts.

Veelk

Banned
To each their own, just know there's spoilers everywhere. But you figured that out already.

I put the blame on Syder. The most immediate discussion above him has Jaded saying how he's only just starting the Conviction Arc with Mozgus. Literally a seconds observation would inform him that Jaded hasn't read the whole manga. Jaded needs to put a disclaimer as he writes his posts here, but Syder could stand to be more considerate.

I think I'm currently at the end of volume 16, not done yet but almost done. Farnese dealt with all that demon possession stuff and tried to fuck herself on Guts' sword which I found god damn hilarious. Guts just left Godo's shack with his sword and hand repaired. Rickert is all growns up and Guts is about to go look for Caska again. They're starting to reference the Holy See as well.

I think I'm currently at the end of volume 16, not done yet but almost done. Farnese dealt with all that demon possession stuff and tried to fuck herself on Guts' sword which I found god damn hilarious. Guts just left Godo's shack with his sword and hand repaired. Rickert is all growns up and Guts is about to go look for Caska again. They're starting to reference the Holy See as well.

Speaking of Farnese, I just finished reading volume 25 yesterday and it hit me like a ton of bricks with just how much character development she's gotten. I mean you can gradually see her changing over time, but the part when
she compares her old self to the priest
in volume 25 is so black and white it caught me off guard with how far she's truly come. Miura is an absolute master when it comes to character development.

Thanks for the spoiler tag. I actually do like Farnese a lot from what I've seen of her. She seems like she'd be a decent replacement for badass chick given the current state of Caska to my knowledge. I'm hoping she does lose the religion cause she seems like she'd be pretty cool without it.
By the way JadedWriter, check out the bloopers from the english dub of the Berserk anime.

They are something else.
I lost my shit at Griffith singing. Did Griffith just make up words to his own theme song? Lol!

Syder

I put the blame on Syder. The most immediate discussion above him has Jaded saying how he's only just starting the Conviction Arc with Mozgus. Literally a seconds observation would inform him that Jaded hasn't read the whole manga. Jaded needs to put a disclaimer as he writes his posts here, but Syder could stand to be more considerate.
Sincerest apologies for the spoiler. I assumed everyone who ventured in here was more or less up-to-date on the manga. I thought JadedWriter was re-reading the manga, as I do it all the time, my bad.

Whether or not the resurrected 'Griffith' is Griffith or Femto is definitely up for debate, it's been noted that he is visually different to Golden Age Griffith.

It's not really up to debate. We see Griffith transform into Femto . The "old" Griffith has been corrupted. That is part of the sacrifice. One forsakes his own humanity.

Syder

It's not really up to debate. We see Griffith transform into Femto . The "old" Griffith has been corrupted. That is part of the sacrifice. One forsakes his own humanity.
I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as that. The God Hand are extremely mysterious. The Apostles are almost always fairly despicable humans who make a sacrifice in order to gain supernatural power. Femto is in such stark contrast to Griffith. I'm not saying they aren't the same person but with how different Femto comes across in every way is so different to Griffith that it can't help but be noticed.

Veelk

Banned
The only definitive change of character that Griffith received from changing into Femto that we know of is his loss of empathy. We know this partially from the lost chapter, but we also know it from when he visits
Sword Hill, the monument to the band of the Hawk that was specifically made to memorialiize them. He specifically went there to see if he felt any sort of twinge of regret or sympathy, but he felt nothing.

In contrast, he does feel something toward caska, which many think is due to him taking the body of Gut's and Caska's child, which we know for a fact 'longs for its parents'. So we know that, against his own will, he has protective instincts toward Caska and probably for Guts as well.

Otherwise, Griffith's doing what he's always done.
Scheming, using people, always plotting to get his grand city. The only thing that has ever held him back were the fact that he cared about his fellow Hawks, Guts and Caska in particular. Now that that's gone and he has more power than ever before, he's gone full HAM on his dream, but otherwise...what else has changed about him?

Man you really don't want to ambush Mozgus' carriage. Nothing but carnage, dude caved in someone's head with a bible. Just started volume 18.

Griffith became Femto and then Femto found a way to take a human body. I don't believe for a minute that Femto reverted back to Griffith.

Tizoc

Griffith became Femto and then Femto found a way to take a human body. I don't believe for a minute that Femto reverted back to Griffith.

Could we assume then that there are 2 personas? Griffith and Femto sharing Griffith's human form?

Mozgus seems like such a one note religious zealot that it's barely even a spoiler, he doesn't even have half the complexity Farnese does. Reminder I'm only like 60 pages into volume 18.

Syder

You're right. The Griffith of the Golden Age is lost and there is no way to salvage him.
Could we assume then that there are 2 personas? Griffith and Femto sharing Griffith's human form?
Femto and Griffith aren't the same entity. Griffith was a human inhabiting the earthly realm and Femto is a Demonic entity that exists in an ethereal, spiritual, astral and non-corporeal manner.
The Idea of Evil
changed Causality to bring Femto into being.
"Until now you were the dream called Griffith. Soon, you will awaken and no longer will you return to that dream" - Slan

There have been a few instances where Neo Griffith has exhibited human traits. Neo Griffith visiting the Hill of Swords was to test his humanity or lack thereof. His interactions with Casca and any 'kind' human feelings represent the fact that he was born of the sacrifice of the Demon Child. Saving Casca was a compulsion and he had a physical reaction to Zodd and Guts' fight.

Griffith wilfully sacrificed his identity to achieve God Hand status. Femto and furthermore the Neo Griffith we see now is play acting at being the King the Golden Age Griffith wanted to be. Which is why he seems to be the charming Griffith from the beginning of the series and why he welcomed Rickert with open arms.

Azuran

Banned

I honestly think new Griffith is just a masquerade. Maybe the baby did something but until someone says otherwise, he's still Femto under that fake persona he's pulling right now. He still has to transform back into a Femto if he wants to use any of his powers.

I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as that. The God Hand are extremely mysterious. The Apostles are almost always fairly despicable humans who make a sacrifice in order to gain supernatural power. Femto is in such stark contrast to Griffith. I'm not saying they aren't the same person but with how different Femto comes across in every way is so different to Griffith that it can't help but be noticed.

We know the sacrifices of Rosin/Count/Griffith/Egg Apostle ....and just being despicable prior to the sacrifice is not a characterization that adheres to most of them . The act itself is clearly despicable though. Griffith included.

I don't think the way events unfolded make for a cut and dry situation.Griffith's corruption of his psyche is Femto. Which now incarnates in the body of Griffith with a presence of a demon child. The cause for the duality . And old Griffith ceased to exist. That's , more or less , the situation that exists.

No. There's Femto and the demon child.

So, my Guts Gecco Statue arrived yesterday. I just checked him out a couple of minutes ago and it's definitely the real deal. I love how Puck and the Behelit are both in Gut's satchel. Such great attention to detail. I'd highly recommend it! My obsession with literally EVERYTHING Berserk related continues! I just can't get enough of it all....

SPEUESD.gif

So, my Guts Gecco Statue arrived yesterday. I just checked him out a couple of minutes ago and it's definitely the real deal. I love how Puck and the Behelit are both in Gut's satchel. Such great attention to detail. I'd highly recommend it! My obsession with literally EVERYTHING Berserk related continues! I just can't get enough of it all....
Pics please

Figmas are being made of the God Hand.

There are a lot of Guts, Griffiths and Femto though.

I want that Void.
Why is Figma Caska lighter skinned than manga and anime Caska? I think she's either straight up black or dark skinned Italian or something. And yeah I need a Slan statue injected into all of my veins.
Do want:
1209.jpg

griffith.jpg

Why did they chop so much out of the Berserk anime. I mean it's not bad at all I have one ep left of it, but man some of the changed parts are not for the better. The chase before the Eclipse is not as good cause it's not with that sadistic demon guy and his band of women impaling raiders, Guts doesn't get that sick ass fight scene. Princess Charlotte isn't as pivotal in the escape of Griffith, I mean really. Best part regarding the last half is that yeah it pretty much comes off as Griffith raped Charlotte. On top of that Griffith's torturer dies in a nicer fashion in the anime. In the manga Guts flat out tortures the guy. Is the OVA at least more violent? This manga really does need a 1:1 adaptation.

I think I own this if it's the Banpresto release.
That's what I have. It's a beautiful figure for a cheap prize item.

Aaaaaah
Why did they chop so much out of the Berserk anime. I mean it's not bad at all I have one ep left of it, but man some of the changed parts are not for the better. The chase before the Eclipse is not as good cause it's not with that sadistic demon guy and his band of women impaling raiders, Guts doesn't get that sick ass fight scene. Princess Charlotte isn't as pivotal in the escape of Griffith, I mean really. Best part regarding the last half is that yeah it pretty much comes off as Griffith raped Charlotte. On top of that Griffith's torturer dies in a nicer fashion in the anime. In the manga Guts flat out tortures the guy. Is the OVA at least more violent? This manga really does need a 1:1 adaptation.
They're not ovas, but movies. They are way more violent, and a worse adaption. Fugly too.

Yeah I heard the adaption for the movies isn't that good as well. I think at this point I just want to see a bunch of heads explode cause the violence is just far too subdued in the anime. I can only imagine what they cut out for the movies.

Moaradin

The movies cut a lot, even more than the anime. I don't think it will be a big deal for you since you read the manga, but you can just fill in the blanks. The third movie covers a bit more than the anime does. The Eclipse is something else...

Yep and now just finished the anime...that shit is seriously nothing more than a god damn commercial for the manga, I actually literally just laughed and said "What the fuck?!" at how it ended. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but you really should watch the anime before reading the manga cause you're really going to notice the changes. They completely neglected the raping of Guts as a kid, Charlotte didn't even have any character growth, they got rid of that weird shit with her father, the last half at points really felt different. Might have been because they didn't have much of a demon influence. The raping of Caska was nowhere near as brutal or painfully dragged out the way it was in the manga, you didn't get Caska begging Guts not to watch, they got Judeau's death wrong cause he never revealed his feelings, there's no Skull Knight in this at all so you don't even have a fucking clue how Caska and Guts even escape the fucking thing, Zodd's not even there. I would've liked seeing those two fight each other, Rickert isn't on the outside of the Cyclone witnessing anything. I could go on and on...the anime is a good commercial though.

Yes. The anime just can't compare to the manga, I found the anime to be too sanitized. Didn't really capture the beauty of Miura's artwork either. It took awhile for me to get into it, but I liked what was put together, just isn't the manga.

Yes. The anime just can't compare to the manga, I found the anime to be too sanitized. Didn't really capture the beauty of Miura's artwork either. It took awhile for me to get into it, but I liked what was put together, just isn't the manga.
Well, it was made for TV. They can't show everything. Supposedly, Miura approved the changes so it is the best current adaption. Although I have no idea what input he had on the films, if any.

Veelk

Banned
I still say they should go with the Hellsing Ultimate route and do volume per movie. I can't see how else they'd 1. have the budget Berserk deserves and 2. have the room for the characters to breathe. Only problem is that it'd take forever, but I'd be perfectly okay with that. I don't think it's happening though. Most Hellsing volumes have shit going down fairly constantly. Berserk can have volumes of buildup to it's climax. It would take a great amount of dedication to do it right.

Otherwise, Platinum should just make a Berserk game.

Either Platinum or From Software. From already knows how to interpret the art style. I really would agree with a volume per movie cause it's actually a pretty hard show to actually condense cause you lose too much nuance in the process.
Well, it was made for TV. They can't show everything. Supposedly, Miura approved the changes so it is the best current adaption. Although I have no idea what input he had on the films, if any.
But Claymore is more violent than the Berserk anime.

Top Bottom