• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fighting game stage ever

belgurdo

Banned
tower-of-arrogance.gif

<3 Darkstalkers

Shinobi

My favourite stage will always be Shun Di's bridge from VF2...it blew me away like no other when I first saw it.

My favourite fighter for overall stages is Capcom's X-Men: COTA...it just had some bad ass designs, particuarly Iceman's and Colossus'.

Genjuros wheatfield in SSII is my pick for best fighting game stage ever. Pretty much every stage in SSII is as good as it gets for fighting backgrounds, but I think Genjuros is the king of SSII.

Special mention has to go to the Last Blade series for having some of the best backgrounds around, and of course Alpha 2.

Fatal Fury Special had some badass stages too. Big Bears seems like it was in the inspiration for Sodoms Alpha 2. I also loved Jubei's, Terry's, Joes, and Mai's.

Seeing the cage come down in SF2 for Vega was pretty badass the first time as well.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Shun Di's bridge stage was where I first witnessed game characters in high resolution, 60 fps, and animation of drunken boxing all at once... under the imposing 3D effect of the bridge. Virtua Fighter 3 had memorable stages, like the subway, the rooftop, the snowy creek, the Great Wall, and the construction platform.

bjork

Another vote for VF Shun-Di level.

I also really liked Gen's stage in SFA2 with the puddles and the cool music.

I think I just like old men.

Chony

FortNinety said:
Okay, I change by to the devil baby god stage in Darkstalkers 3. Creepy as hell.

Was it in this game? I cant remember. I just remember some 2d fighter with this large gray baby in the background lighting up and stuff. It was very creepy.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Date of Lies said:
Hold the phone, which street fighter is that from and why have I never seen it?

Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 2. It's a hidden stage, and it's also straight out of the beginning of the SF2 animated movie. :)

Shinobi

A couple more to add...MK2's portal stage was absolutely bad ass, along with Dead Forest, Pit II, the Tower and Kahn's Arena.

And Virtual On had some bad ass stages as well...Water Front (the night stage), Ruins, Death Trap (the stage with the descending floor) and the last stage Nirvana. Would love to see at least one more proper Virtual On next generation.

Oh yeah, the lone stage in IK+ on C64 and Amiga was as beautiful as any backdrop you could find at the time.

luxsol

Any of the bamboo stages in the Bushido Blade series and also the multi-step hill with the fence at the bottom.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
From Shenmue: Chai in the arcade, painted man in the cage underground, and the rooftop in Kowloon (for the dramatic way it was staged).

Bebpo

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Tengu's stage in DoA:U is insane in the membrane.

Well, I found it to be the most mundane and boring of all 22 in the game :p

I mean the season changes are cool, but it's just a big empty squarish arena lacking any kind of interesting setting.

WARCOCK

Banned
HOOO the guys who mentioned the Alpha 2 stage have some taste. My nod would go to Ryu's stage in alpha 2 because of the music.

WarPig

FortNinety said:
Okay, I change by to the devil baby god stage in Darkstalkers 3. Creepy as hell.

The proper name is "Fetus of God." Jedah's stage. Boy does it rule.

Tengu's stage is a visual knockout, but I'll always have a soft spot for the old Fetus of God, just because it's so completely fucked up.

DFS.

WarPig

You can also pretty much pick anything from Guilty Gear Isuka. Not a good game, but the backgrounds destroy.

DFS.

epmode

WarPig said:
The proper name is "Fetus of God." Jedah's stage. Boy does it rule.

Tengu's stage is a visual knockout, but I'll always have a soft spot for the old Fetus of God, just because it's so completely fucked up.

DFS.
anyone have a screenshot?

KAOS

For 2D games I've always loved Genjuro's Samurai Shodown 2 wheat field stage.

For 3D figters I would have to agree with the people who have mentioned DOAU's Safari stage.

WarPig

Here's a shot of the Fetus of God:

post-99-1069354202.gif

You have to see it animating to get the full effect, though.

Another fave: Gen-An's stage in Samurai Shodown II. The one where they're stirring the pot with the Alien in it and shit.

DFS.

For 2D, I'll say Vega/Balrog's stage from Super Street Fighter II...I like the added touch in Super of how the steel fence/cage falls down right before you fight with those classic characters =)

(SF2's backgrounds in general are some of the the most memorable/best stages for me, actually)

For 3D, so far I've been impressed with the rain stage in DOA2:U...the lightning effects look great =)

dorikyasu

KOF'94 Team Japan Stage (Esaka?) is my favorite. Cool city setting, animated crowds (which actually made you feel like your fighter was in actual tournament, not just a couple of people fighting in a street for some odd reason), the music, etc. Everything about that stage rocked.

XS+

Banned
My faves:

Psylocke's train stage (Marvel Superheroes)
Genjuro's stage (Samurai Shodown III) - looks like a duel from a western
Ryu's rooftop (a million different versions of SF)
Ken's yacht (SFA2) - cameos galore
Most of the bgs from X-Men COTA and Marvel Superheroes
Wolf's cage (VF4)
Sarah's coliseum (VF2)
Taki's Hoko Temple (Soul Calibur) - the graphics are dated but the lighting and music are perfect
Kyokugen Team elevator stage (KoF '95)
The Pit (MK1) - gruesome stuff!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Venice in Soul Calibur on the DC. That was a defining moment for me.

The SFII series in general for the whole line scrolling thing. I thought that was genious at the time.

Nothing from any MK game...ever. Creative they were. But consistantly under-executed.

I liked the BGs in MvC1 and 2 especially, although there were way too few.

As far as 3D fighting games this gen, DoA and Team Ninja take hippo shits on all.

Top Bottom