• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Handhelds?

Hudo

I think you're still best off with a Steam Deck. And if you like Nintendo games, you could get a Switch OLED or wait for the Switch 2.

EekTheKat

Of note - the smaller and more powerful the device is, the more uncomfortable it becomes to hold. Both due to heat and ergonomics. YMMV of course, but anytime somebody sells "the world's smallest handheld PC" one should immediately look at how comfortable that thing will be to use.

IMHO, the Steam Deck still exists as one of the best compromises in terms of portability/ergonomics/thermals and power. That and it has two touchpads which are extremely flexible when it comes to remapping for more pc specific games. One touchpad could literally be remapped into a weapon wheel for example.

The touchpads are the key difference between a handled PC for PC/console games or a handheld PC console port machine.

Gyro aiming on handhelds is an interesting alternative to excessively strong aim assist in some shooter titles.

The big issue with the Deck that may never be solved is with aggressive or outdated kernel anticheats. Some anticheat companies do have limited Linux support, but there are others that are Windows only.

DJ12

Legion go with bazzite os installed, removes all the complaints about performance and will basically operate like a stram deck.

Benefits: more power bigger and better screen.

If the orange pi neo ever actually comes out that will be another good choice and will ne cheaper

Perrott

Get a PlayStation Vita OLED and do the incredibly easy jailbreak to unlock its full potential and equip it with a 512GB MicroSD card, effectively turning it into a three-in-one system being able to natively run PS1, PSP and PSV games.

And also get a Steam Deck OLED to be able to enjoy your Steam library of more modern AAA titles.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Whatever you do don't get an Ally until the new version that moves the SD card port (which they totally *did not* move because it was overheating in the first one, they had to move it anyway. We know because they told us so).

Of course if you have waited this long I'd try and wait anyway because next gen is around the corner.

Edit: This actually comes out next week (!) and the performance difference is 2.5 vs 8.5 TF.

Edit again: I'm totally confused sorry. There are two versions of Ally currently available, the 2023 Ally with the bad SD situation, and the refresh currently available which fixes that. Both versions come with two different CPU configs, 2.5TF, and 8.5TF using the Z1 extreme chip. Though I'd say the 8.5 is just math and real world use will not sneak up on PS5 lol.

The new version coming out next week, the Ally X, has the same power but double the battery, storage, and faster RAM. It only comes with the Z1 Extreme chip.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Likely not what you are looking for, but I love my AYN Odin 2 Pro. The form factor and battery life are great! Only issue is it’s hindered by androids support but for emulation stuff it is slowly getting better for higher end stuff.

Chukhopops

It’s either Switch or Steam Deck. Both have gigantic libraries with SD having an advantage through emulation.

Switch is way more portable, has better battery life and TV mode is less of a hassle to use. Steam Deck has better sticks, way better emulation and can even be used as a backup laptop to play Civ V.

Then the 3DS XL comes at a distant third place.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It’s either Switch or Steam Deck. Both have gigantic libraries with SD having an advantage through emulation.

Switch is way more portable, has better battery life and TV mode is less of a hassle to use. Steam Deck has better sticks, way better emulation and can even be used as a backup laptop to play Civ V.

Then the 3DS XL comes at a distant third place.
3ds xl is not that distant... its one of the best places to play 3ds and ds games (as well as gba and gb games)

It's a preferable device to the miyoo mini imo, more ergonomic

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I
I want to emulate as optimally as possible with those consoles, which one is better or the most powerful?
I have a Retroid Pocket 4 pro and can play almost every games for consoles up to GC/PS2/DC. I played Skies of Arcadia with 2/3× resolution or games like Zelda on 3DS and they legit look like a remastered and run extremely well.

Playing King Field 4 for PS2 now, such a blast!

For 200 bucks its a pure bargain. Just a bit tedious to set everything up at the start.

SScorpio

SD. Its the only handheld where my hands dont cramp.
I have this same issue, but I find the SD's bumpers and triggers hard to have both index and middle fingers at the same due to how you need to grip it. That makes the Nvidia Shield Portable (og Nvidia Shield) still the be handheld. It felt exactly like an Xbox 360 controller and it had a 5" flip up screen.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How about this? it's got the same form factor and a MiniLED screen (a bit expensive though)

You know that's cool but I just can't with asymmetrical sticks.

StereoVsn

If we are talking about Android devices that are cheaper vs Odin 2 (still the best for the money), I like Anbernic RG556.

The screen is awesome and ergonomics are great. Retroid Pocket 4 Pro screen was a bit too small for my aging eyes, especially the 4:3 content since that cuts off the sides. It is a bit less powerful though.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I

I have a Retroid Pocket 4 pro and can play almost every games for consoles up to GC/PS2/DC. I played Skies of Arcadia with 2/3× resolution or games like Zelda on 3DS and they legit look like a remastered and run extremely well.

Playing King Field 4 for PS2 now, such a blast!

For 200 bucks its a pure bargain. Just a bit tedious to set everything up at the start.
I just want to play The guided fate paradox and PS3 games... and if possible Switch.

Have everything in hand xD

coffinbirth

Depends on your needs, but if you've waited this long...you might as well wait until next year when the new AMD chipset-equipped badboys start dropping.

Topher

Gold Member
My current "handheld" is comprised of a Lenovo Legion y700 tablet and a Razer Kishi Ultra. I use it primarily for streaming from my PC and Xbox and it works fantastic. Has an 8.8 inch screen which is perfect for handheld gaming, imo. Really makes a difference to me over the smaller 7" handhelds.

WcRaOwQ.jpeg

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Is it too late to nominate the Atari Lynx? I'm serious. We still don't have a better option for Lynx multiplayer games, and where else can we enjoy all those great Epyx and Atari arcade games, as well as originals like Battle Wheels, Checkered Flag and Warbirds. Heck, even the emulators can't ever seem to get Roadblasters right.

If the current Atari was smart, they'd release a Lynx Mini with the complete software library and ability for wireless multiplayer. At the very least, bring everything to the Switch online service.

TheStam

I can't recommend Steam Deck OLED enough. Had the LCD first, and it was great as well but the screen is a huge upgrade. More performance would always be welcome, but it's definitely a greater value than the sum of it's parts due to Steam OS which I find more or less perfect for my needs when it comes to handheld gaming. For someone like me who games on desktop, it's a perfect companion. I do around 50% of my gaming on Steam Deck for a fraction of the hardware cost. So many games I enjoy like card battler rogue likes and stuff like older AAA and RPGs don't need more horsepower. It's my favorite hardware purchase of all time. When they release the next one I will be there again day 1. Unless there was an absolutely huge difference in performance, I will always go with Valve here and I sometimes think that I might one day go 100% handheld.

Loved the Lynx as well until I had some AA batteries basically melting the whole thing back in the day.

The cheapest Deck, especially at sub $300 during the sale was easily the best value for the price. But it's really just not powerful enough for me. I still enjoy mine but I've mostly returned to playing on my actual computer.

That's how I feel about the GPD Win 4. It's so close to being what I want.

lsHdqUb.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Pitfalls like... Tekken 8, Elden Ring and Hi-Fi Rush?

Nah no thanks. OP clearly wanted PC.

If you want a small PC handheld, consider getting an Ayaneo Air or a GPD Win 4. Not as small as a Miyoo Mini but will do you good

I'm obviously speaking in general terms, and there will always be exceptions. The games you listed are among these exceptions and not the rule.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's how I feel about the GPD Win 4. It's so close to being what I want.

lsHdqUb.jpeg
Man I can't with some of you people...
No offense, but complaining about asymmetrical on the GPD Win 4? You're gonna be playing PC games on that thing, what's the big idea???
As a dude growing up with Xboxes these are just the superior layout...

I don't really like GPD products but also COME ON, you clearly want one....

considering this though you could get a retroid pocket 4 TGO TGO

similar in power but with a layout you will like more. I still don't get the symmetric love though

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I still don't get the symmetric love though
It's not love, it just feels more natural to be holding the controller symmetrically with the grips then one on the grip and one farther up the controller to reach to left Analogue in an optimal position, imo
it's also feel more natural to hit the D-Pad direction from that position and I ain't bending my thumb into my hand to push the analogue diagonally left/down down.
I generally have more leeway for the left side of the analogue too.
Obviously being symmetrical isn't always the answer, it's where they are
2rAQ8r2.jpeg

Other then how close they are to your palm as I already mentioned, this would be okay if the face buttons get very little action.
In short, Analogue are better controlled with your Thumb straight while buttons are better with a bend in the Thumb.
And no I don't have small hands, but I also don't have big hands either.
I'm not saying one is right or wrong.
That's my general feelings on it.

But one thing I am certain on is that this thing is an abomination!
s-l1200.jpg

Last edited:

FireFly

I highly doubt that. It's still on the same die node and they've merely rebranded it into RDNA3+. I see nothing in this that would result in a 35% performance gain at the handheld-appropriate wattages. Last I saw from 890m that it was a laptop-class iGPU due to sort of high power demands. Got a source?
AMD have just released slides claiming up to 32% at 15W.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Steam Deck with Steam OS + Windows or ROG Ally if you want more power, with Windows + something like Chimera OS.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I don't understand how people use large and heavy devices like the Steam Deck or ROG Ally. Even the Switch feels heavy and tiring after a while. Most people probably put them on their lap or on a table, but that causes neck pain and makes you look at the screen from too far away(I play lying down with the console on my belly). The Miyoo Mini Plus also hurts my hands after a while because it's too small.

I might switch to another small, horizontal retro handheld in the future, but for now, I'll stick with my Switch and Miyoo Mini Plus.

The Switch Lite is a better "handheld" than the regular Switch, in my opinion. Perfect size and and weight for a handheld.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't understand how people use large and heavy devices like the Steam Deck or ROG Ally. Even the Switch feels heavy and tiring after a while. Most people probably put them on their lap or on a table, but that causes neck pain and makes you look at the screen from too far away(I play lying down with the console on my belly). The Miyoo Mini Plus also hurts my hands after a while because it's too small.

I might switch to another small, horizontal retro handheld in the future, but for now, I'll stick with my Switch and Miyoo Mini Plus.

The Switch Lite is a better "handheld" than the regular Switch, in my opinion. Perfect size and and weight for a handheld.

Interesting, never once felt anything was too big or heavy for me. Deck, hell tablets and laptops are fine. It took a little getting used to a 14" tablet with a keyboard case, but the plus side is after moving that constantly everything else feels really light.

You can also use glasses like XReal to rest the handheld on your lap and keep your posture/head upright, or just laying down in bed with them.

But I've looked down at the 3DS / Switch for rhythm games fine, I can't play much on the 3DS which needs a stylus anyway while holding it in the air, so the size/weight doesn't really matter to me too much. I guess I can see everything fine.

It's not just about weight though, lots of people find the Deck way more comfortable than the Switch, despite the size/weight increase because it's simply more comfortable to hold. Ally is lighter than the Deck, but from what I've read a little less comfortable, though the Ally X seems to improve there with impressions I've read/watched so far.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hardware wise, I'd say it's the PS Vita, the OLED one.

Catalogue of games wise... Steam Deck.

Dural

This isn't a popular choice, but the Logitech G-Cloud is great if you can get a good deal on it. I got one for less than $200 and nothing comes close to it for the price. The ergonomics and screen quality/size are so much better than anything else that's <$200. It's not the most powerful but is good up to about Gamecube for emulation.

I also have a Retroid Pocket 2+ and RG36S. I've been playing some 80s/90s games on the RG36S and really like it. It comes with an SD card with a bunch of games so there's no setup. If you can get it for $20 like I did it a fun little handheld.

StereoVsn

Interesting, never once felt anything was too big or heavy for me. Deck, hell tablets and laptops are fine. It took a little getting used to a 14" tablet with a keyboard case, but the plus side is after moving that constantly everything else feels really light.

You can also use glasses like XReal to rest the handheld on your lap and keep your posture/head upright, or just laying down in bed with them.

But I've looked down at the 3DS / Switch for rhythm games fine, I can't play much on the 3DS which needs a stylus anyway while holding it in the air, so the size/weight doesn't really matter to me too much. I guess I can see everything fine.

It's not just about weight though, lots of people find the Deck way more comfortable than the Switch, despite the size/weight increase because it's simply more comfortable to hold. Ally is lighter than the Deck, but from what I've read a little less comfortable, though the Ally X seems to improve there with impressions I've read/watched so far.
Yeah, I find Steam Deck to be the most comfortable handheld, followed by Switch OLED with replacement “joycons”.

I find them comfortable enough to play for hours without hands cramping or screens being tiny so have to squint.

I do also like New 3DS XL for 3DS and DS games and I still like my Vita but rarely touch that anymore as almost everything I want to play have been ported.

For Android handhelds I have RG556 as it’s the most ergonomic that doesn’t cost $300+.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I still think the best one is the Deck. I sold mine because it’s enormous and I didn’t use it like I thought I would but it’s a very good device.

It’s really a matter of whether you feel you absolutely need power at the cost of battery life, interface/design, and coming from dodgy companies like ASUS.

Last edited:

polka22

You could get ASUS ROG Ally return at BestBuy on the cheap, but with their “support” crap and likelihood of non functioning SD card, have to take it with a grain of salt.

Honestly Steam Deck OLED is still probably best device overall especially if you aren’t looking to play the latest stuff.
I just returned the ASUS ROG Ally back to Best Buy. A fucking peace of garbage. Just get a STEAM deck and be done with it. Highly disappointed

bender

What time is it?
I like the Steam Deck. Enough so that I've purchased two as I upgraded to to the OLED model which I think is a must for anyone considering a purchase. But the more I use it, the more I appreciate dedicated handhelds with games made specifically for them even taking into consideration how limited your options are. I think Valve has done a commendable job with the user experience on Deck with things like community layouts, compatibility lists, and whatnot, but there is only so much you can do to overcome limitations of older games. It's highly use case dependent and how averse you are to tinkering, but older games are often a crapshoot for a lot of reasons (will it boot, will it run, did the game ever have native controller support, is it readable, etc.). A lot of those issues can be someone overcome with the community and tinkering but you still might put the game down anyway because it's all suboptimal (like playing an FPS without auto-aim as it wasn't designed with a controller in mind). The Deck shines in other areas with more modern games, especially if they aren't too demanding. I've been a Steam user since the beginning and my library is creeping up on 1,400 games and I mostly find myself going back to older games, which from a compute standpoint should be were the hardware shines, but I often turn the device off as I'm disappointed in the experience or don't want to deal with the hassle. Most recently it was Blade of Darkness that wouldn't boot until switching proton versions and then the controls being jacked up. But then you boot up Geometry Wars and watch it pop on that OLED screen and you are in heaven. I just wish the coin landed heads up more often.

Codes 208

Ds > gba >psp > steam deck > gbc/gb > 3ds > gamegear > vita (because we live in the crappy timeline where sony dropped it a year after launching and made its proprietary memory expensive af)

Fake edit: Oh you mean like right now.

Switch. Steam deck or rog ally if you prefer playing pc games

Last edited:
Steam Deck if you can only own one.

I augment my Deck with a bunch of different size Android and Linux emulation handhelds that take care of pretty much all 90's consoles.

cireza

Gold Member
And it’s by far the best way to play 3DS and DS games.
It certainly is not for DS games. DS games will be blurry. Also the 240p resolution is not a great a fit for 144p handled games such as GB/GBC. You either have integer scaling and a small picture, or a blurry stretch effect.

To play DS games, I recommend a DSi or DS Lite.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Modded 3DS can play every Nintendo handheld game made before Switch.

It fits in your pocket.

And it’s by far the best way to play 3DS and DS games.

Launch 3DS may fit in your pocket but it has those godawful peeling buttons. What the hell was up with Nintendo during that time. This is the version I have and I'm still kind of mad I traded in my DS Lite when I bought it. I do covet a modded 3DS XL but I can't be assed with this old one good enough to provide coverage on 3D Land/ALBW/old R4 cart. But I might actually use it regularly or want to mod it for 3DS games if it wasn't shitty.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I love that the 5th grade never goes out of us

@thread
Since the Deck is kinda old now, there's a chance that we're getting a new model by next year. If not, Rog Ally could do fine for you I guess, or maybe even the Switch if you want to change everything

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Steam deck OLED, but if you don't care about battery life and want the absolute maximum performance then rog ally.

Btw I fully expect a brand new ryzen 370 handheld to be announced AND released within the next 3 months.
It has a good CPU and GPU bump, especially at 15w and below.

Top Bottom