• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Handhelds?

yurinka

A while back I was considering buying a steam deck OLED, but I changed my mind. I'm back to wanting one again and have downtime to use it. However, I've heard rumblings here and there that there are many other ones that are better these days. Any recommendations?
I'd say Rog Ally has the best performance closely followed by Legion Go, which in some cases may be slightly better. Regarding emulators, here's a Legion Go recap to see more or less what you can expect (even if you may tweak performance on a case by case scenario):

One of the games I'm working on is for Game Boy, with Game Boy Color (and Super Game Boy) support. So you may also want to buy one of these instead xDD

Last edited:

amigastar

It's not love, it just feels more natural to be holding the controller symmetrically with the grips then one on the grip and one farther up the controller to reach to left Analogue in an optimal position, imo
it's also feel more natural to hit the D-Pad direction from that position and I ain't bending my thumb into my hand to push the analogue diagonally left/down down.
I generally have more leeway for the left side of the analogue too.
Obviously being symmetrical isn't always the answer, it's where they are
2rAQ8r2.jpeg

Other then how close they are to your palm as I already mentioned, this would be okay if the face buttons get very little action.
In short, Analogue are better controlled with your Thumb straight while buttons are better with a bend in the Thumb.
And no I don't have small hands, but I also don't have big hands either.
I'm not saying one is right or wrong.
That's my general feelings on it.

But one thing I am certain on is that this thing is an abomination!
s-l1200.jpg
Idk maybe it's Nostalgia but i always liked the N64 controller, it wasn't as bad as people say imo. I have fond memories.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Of note - the smaller and more powerful the device is, the more uncomfortable it becomes to hold. Both due to heat and ergonomics. YMMV of course, but anytime somebody sells "the world's smallest handheld PC" one should immediately look at how comfortable that thing will be to use.

IMHO, the Steam Deck still exists as one of the best compromises in terms of portability/ergonomics/thermals and power. That and it has two touchpads which are extremely flexible when it comes to remapping for more pc specific games. One touchpad could literally be remapped into a weapon wheel for example.

The touchpads are the key difference between a handled PC for PC/console games or a handheld PC console port machine.

Gyro aiming on handhelds is an interesting alternative to excessively strong aim assist in some shooter titles.

The big issue with the Deck that may never be solved is with aggressive or outdated kernel anticheats. Some anticheat companies do have limited Linux support, but there are others that are Windows only.
But It can emulate the games from ps3 and switch smooth?

I have a Steam Deck LCD and love it. Thought long and hard about the OLED but ended up getting the Ally X - arrives Monday I think.

Best handheld for:
GB-GBA: Analogue Pocket (there’s a MiSTer portable coming out very soon that will likely supplant this)
PSP: PSP-3000 monster hunter edition or VITA OLED
DS: DSi XL
3DS: New 3DS XL

Everything else: Steam Deck + Switch

I personally don’t do any software emulation, but FPGA is a good substitute for the real thing

Last edited:

menmustmow

Banned
I've been a fan of these chinese handheld systems for a while. Anbernic has been killing it, but recently I learned about PowKiddy. I ordered one of these since it was only $70, thought what the heck. Haven't received it yet but as long as it plays N64 and PSX and below then I'm good.

nxHeHO4.png

Top Bottom