• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best original launch titles for systems

luka said:
Don't think there's much debate. It's just flat out wrong. :p

PS2 beats DC for fighters by a country mile.

Kind of unfair, considering it got VF4.

And Space Harrier II (Gen/MD) in this thread? That's the weakest in the series.

Rich!

OldJadedGamer said:
I haven't been able to find a solid list of Famicom launch titles yet.

It definitely wasn't a launch title here in the UK. It launched in May, half a year after the console. Apparently.

Bigfoot

HolyCheck said:
Surely you should add a not a sequel clause to the rule

the real answer here is Super Monkey Ball for the Gamecube
Came here to post this but see that someone faster and as smart as me posted already...

richisawesome said:
I'm not sure it was a launch title...let me check.

edit - nope it wasn't. Not in NA at least. SMB launched November 17, 1985. The NES came out October 18th 1985.
Yeah I just rechecked that after posting. The Famicom only had three games at its release, geez

Rich!

CoffeeJanitor said:
Yeah I just rechecked that after posting. The Famicom only had three games at its release, geez

Heh. And look how that turned out. Kinda puts the 3DS into perspective, really. It'll be fine.

MechDX

richisawesome said:
IMO, HALO doesn't come even close. Doesn't help by the fact that I despise halo. gah.

Love it or hate it, it built a brand and made a company a contender in the home console market that had been dominted for years by three companies. Without it I do believe MS would have failed terribly. Now it is an IP that is just growing yearly.

What it could become if they EVER get the movie going wiuth the proper PR is mind boggling.

GhaleonQ

OldJadedGamer said:
I haven't been able to find a solid list of Famicom launch titles yet.

I think Wikipedia "launch title" has it right, but it also has (I assume) an accurate list that you can sort by date.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ファミリーコンピュータのゲームタイトル一覧
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Famicom_games
Donkey Kong — 01983-07-15 July 15, 1983 Nintendo
Donkey Kong Jr. — 01983-07-15 July 15, 1983 Nintendo
Popeye — 01983-07-15 July 15, 1983 Nintendo

By the way, most Japanese articles are ordered like that, so they're useful for people looking. Mine: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ゲームボーイアドバンスのゲームタイトル一覧

Rich!

MechDX said:
Love it or hate it, it built a brand and made a company a contender in the home console market that had been dominted for years by three companies. Without it I do believe MS would have failed terribly. Now it is an IP that is just growing yearly.

What it could become if they EVER get the movie going wiuth the proper PR is mind boggling.

Maybe so, but in my opinion it's influenced the worst in gaming. And by that I mean fucking two weapon limits and regenerative health! Aaaarggh. It may have helped Microsoft, but purely in my own opinion, Mario 64 was far more influential as a whole, and was the first decent (and arguably most successful) 2D to 3D translation ever made.

And that moment in 1996, playing Super Mario 64 for the first time? Using an analogue stick and having that amount of freedom in a full 3D world for the very first time? It was an industry first, and simply unlike any game ever made before it. I have to say, it was simply awe-inspiring. I never got that from Halo, after playing Goldeneye for three years prior to it. Halo was just another shooter. Mario 64 was a revelation.

richisawesome said:
Maybe so, but in my opinion it's influenced the worst in gaming. And by that I mean fucking two weapon limits and regenerative health! Aaaarggh. It may have helped Microsoft, but purely in my own opinion, Mario 64 was far more influential as a whole.
In terms of influence, Mario 64 was surely a bigger deal than Halo. I mean, it was the first game to really get third person movement and camera control, exploration, etc. It was a benchmark in 3D game design, not constrained to a genre.

Halo was a big deal but it more or less popularized a lot of gameplay elements that had been used by other FPS titles before, specifically on the PC. It didn't tread nearly as much new ground as Mario 64.

Btw, has a system ever launched in Europe first or is it always the US or JPN first?

MechDX said:

I agree, without Halo... not sure we would still have an Xbox or even 360. I know personally at the time, I thought the system was going to fall flat on it's face and I never gave it a second look. Halo pretty much changed all that.

CoffeeJanitor said:

Nintendo has always been super light on launch titles. Good or bad, not sure. With the N64 it didn't matter that there were only two as Mario 64 was next to Godliness.

GhaleonQ said:
I think Wikipedia "launch title" has it right, but it also has (I assume) an accurate list that you can sort by date.

Nice find!

Rich!

OldJadedGamer said:
Btw, has a system ever launched in Europe first or is it always the US or JPN first?

Don't think so. Maybe the master system?

edit - no, we got it 2 years after japan. haha.

We have got quite a few second though, like the 3DS before AUS and USA.

richisawesome said:
Maybe so, but in my opinion it's influenced the worst in gaming. And by that I mean fucking two weapon limits and regenerative health! Aaaarggh. It may have helped Microsoft, but purely in my own opinion, Mario 64 was far more influential as a whole, and was the first decent (and arguably most successful) 2D to 3D translation ever made.

And that moment in 1996, playing Super Mario 64 for the first time? Using an analogue stick and having that amount of freedom in a full 3D world for the very first time? It was an industry first, and simply unlike any game ever made before it. I have to say, it was simply awe-inspiring. I never got that from Halo, after playing Goldeneye for three years prior to it. Halo was just another shooter. Mario 64 was a revelation.

To be truthful, orginal Halo only had like 6 guns, so limiting to 2 was smart.

Rich!

Ra1den said:
Sonic Adventure.

I was going to say that as a possible runner up, but I went back and played it last night for the first time since 1999, and it really is absolutely horrific.

edit - oh, and it wasnt a launch title either

onQ123 said:
Soul Calibur

& damn your rules

I'm sure other developers of real launch titles would have loved to have an extra 10 months like Namco did with Soul Calibur. That would be like calling Uncharted or Gears of War a launch title.

NGKrush

Neo Member
fantavision is one of my fav games and is a ps2 launchtitle. (it launched in japan without multiplayer. the euro/upgraded version did have the mp) but i can understand it's not a classic.

rCIZZLE

Halo:
Had near flawless presentation.
Single handedly made the xbox successful.
Made consoles appealing for fps fans. (I really don't count goldeneye since soon as I was able to easily strafe there was no going back.)
Put PC based lan parties to shame.

Worst launch lineup: 360 imo

Acheron

Banned
rCIZZLE said:

People say this but between COD2, PGR3 and Condemned (not to mention Kameo and the decent if VERY disappointing PDZ) I think it beats the Wii and PS3's launch.

I mean all the PS3 had was Resistance. Which was good but it doesn't beat three similarly good games.

rCIZZLE

Acheron said:
People say this but between COD2, PGR3 and Condemned (not to mention Kameo and the decent if VERY disappointing PDZ) I think it beats the Wii and PS3's launch.

I just feel that a consoles launch needs that must-have game that 360 was lacking. When I camped out for my Wii I remember talking about how awesome it was going to be to play zelda on a new console. I can't imagine I'd have felt the same way about any of the 360s titles if I picked one up on launch.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Did Dreamcast launch with Soul Calibur in 1998? Funny how launching way ahead of time in Japan has become a thing of the past. Well, more obvious than funny I suppose.

[Nintex]

rCIZZLE said:
One of the best actually, PDZ, PGR3, Condemned, COD2 and Kameo. That's quite a good launch compared to many other systems. The only downside was that DOA4 missed launch but it was released shortly afterwards.

Square Triangle said:
I hate these list threads with the ridiculous rules

You don't hate it too much as you cared enough to post in the thread.

Mooreberg said:
Did Dreamcast launch with Soul Calibur in 1998? Funny how launching way ahead of time in Japan has become a thing of the past. Well, more obvious than funny I suppose.

It's interesting how lots of people see launches with rose colored glasses because most times systems have launched out of their region and they never really got to experience a real launch until this last generation.

Griffin

SSX_box_art.jpg

RustyO

Super Mario 64

richisawesome said:

^^ Basically this

As for system luanch line uo, I'm not sure and need more caffeine before I go researching.

Griffin said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/SSX_box_art.jpg

SSX came out 8 months after the PS2 launched.

ShinUltramanJ said:
Not sure if Pikmin was a GC launch game or not, but that's my vote among the obvious Halos and Marios.

Pikmin was meant to be a launch game but something happened and they left it in the oven for another few months. It did come out before Xmas of that year though.

santi_yo said:

I don't think anyone can disagree that Mario 64 was the single handed best launch game ever. But to be fair, it was first party and had an unfair advantage of early and all access to hardware that other developers didn't have. I would even dare to say that EAD was given an unlimited budget for the title.

-KRS-

CoffeeJanitor said:

Donkey Kong was a pretty impressive port of the arcade game for its time though. Except for the removal of the "pie factory" level and some small graphical downgrades, its pretty much arcade perfect. I'm sure it was a major selling point for the Famicom.

Mileena

Banned
[Nintex] said:
One of the best actually, PDZ, PGR3, Condemned, COD2 and Kameo. That's quite a good launch compared to many other systems. The only downside was that DOA4 missed launch but it was released shortly afterwards.
That's a downside?

SM64 is the best answer

Tunavi

Banned
If it weren't for Halo, Xbox Live wouldn't be suscription based, there wouldn't be much profit for Microsoft, the Xbox probably wouldn't sell, and there wouldn't be a 360 today.

Mileena

Banned
Tunavi said:
If it weren't for Halo, Xbox Live wouldn't be suscription based, there wouldn't be much profit for Microsoft, the Xbox probably wouldn't sell, and there wouldn't be a 360 today.
and there wouldn't be horse armor

Fuckin Halo.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Wii Trauma Center yet. That was the moment where I realized that it was the pointer, and not the motion controls, that made the Wii controller really interesting.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
corkscrewblow said:
That's a downside?
360's launch was so dry that people like me started hyping DOA4 as the 2nd coming. Very amusing how excited I was to get my hands on that.

Top Bottom