• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best selling game of all time? Mario or Sims?

Rhage

I know Super Mario 3 is widely regarded as the best selling game of all time, but you often see the Sims as being given that honor. Or are they talking about The Sims including all the expansions?

So what are the facts? Anyone know the worldwide sales # for each?

AniHawk

Deg said:
Its Super Mario Bros. 1 , also sold afew more copies this year.

Yeah, but SMB was bundled with the NES. You're right though, as an NES Classic, Super Mario All-Star game, and SMB DX, it's sold an assload since then.

jarrod

Banned
I'd wager the first Pokemon set (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow) is likely the best selling game ever actually...

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
I'd wager the first Pokemon set (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow) is likely the best selling game ever actually...

10 Million in Japan, 15 Million in the U.S.... which leaves Europe. I remember reading about Pokemon Yellow selling 150,000 copies a week out there...

EA only ever claims it is best selling PC game of all time in their press releases. I assume if they could get away with just saying the best selling game, they would.

I know last February on the Sims' 3rd anniversary, EA announced that the franchise had sold over 24 million units, with 8 million of that being the core product( http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr290.doc ), which would put it way behind a number of console releases, not just SMB3.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
10 Million in Japan, 15 Million in the U.S.... which leaves Europe. I remember reading about Pokemon Yellow selling 150,000 copies a week out there...
Well, as of last march the series in total had sold 91 million worldwide... I'm thinking the first set's probably a good 40-50 million of that.

john2kx

i've seen people take baths in and build chairs out of SMB cartridges.. i guess that's gotta say something about how many there are out there.

Jumpman

john2kx said:
i've seen people take baths in and build chairs out of SMB cartridges.. i guess that's gotta say something about how many there are out there.

I wanna see pictures. :)

Top Bottom