• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best story ever?

Tabris

AND READ A BOOK OR WATCH A FUCKING MOVIE THAT DOESN'T HAVE DRAGONBALLS IN IT.

I'm currently reading Count on Mounte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

Last movie I watched was Intolerable Cruelity (which oddly enough, is a very funny movie, smart comedy).

I still pick Xenogears and Final Fantasy VII :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm currently reading Count on Mounte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

Last movie I watched was Intolerable Cruelity (which oddly enough, is a very funny movie, smart comedy).

I still pick Xenogears and Final Fantasy VII :p

Good for you. However, your avatar betrays you. FFVII makes fractionally less sense than Xenogears. Which in turn makes more sense than MGS, and they still don't have the narrative logic of Wario Ware between them.

PS, The Count OF Monte Cristo was actually written as a ripping-yarn style kids book in the style of Treasure Island or Kidnapped. So don't strain yourself.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Neo Geo Cup '98 - soccer game for NGPC- epic saga yo. There's that part where you kick the ball. Awesome.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
So is Scaler good, or what?! I was gonna buy it but I was buying GTASA at the same time and that wouldn't be very ballin' to buy both at once

Bristow

Banned
Planescape:Torment easily. However, it would have been better suited as a book. Playing the actual game was so boring.

bionic77

Xenogears by a mile.

Honorable mentions:

FF3
PS2
FF9 (Not really a great story, but I loved the characters and it has my favorite ending for a videogame)
MGS
Chronotrigger
Kingdom Hearts
DW4

I am missing a few, but those came to me right off the top of my heart.

etiolate

Banned
No, I (and I'm sure others) read it, but since it was already derailed, I just went along.

Yah I saw some people read it.

Anyone remember the story behind Blaster Master? Now that rocked.

As far as I'm concerned :-

System Shock 2

Without a doubt - first game that made me interested in the story WHILE IWAS PLAYING!!!

Fuck BISOSHOCK! I WANT SS3!!

More Shodan Goddamnit!!!

:D :D :D

Tabris

WarPig said:
Lemme guess -- because they just made a Japanese cartoon out of it this season.

They did? I didn't know that. Last anime I watched was .hack//SIGN. Before that, Cowboy Bebop. I haven't seen any new shows since well, I'm not as interested before. I'm content with the little anime I do watch.

Anyways, no, the book was recommended to me by a friend of mine. I picked up The Three Musketeers and The Man in The Iron Mask also after reading Count for a bit.

Yes, I know my avatar probabaly contradicts what I'm saying in your eyes. I just really like Shinji's character.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I really need to play Planescape Torment some day. I have a copy of it sitting right here next to my desk too. :/

hobart

Really surprised it took a page for someone to mention Grim Fandango which is, to this day, perhaps, the most underrated game of our time. And no one acknowledged it either!

Always have been a huge fan of the MGS series and, of course, looking forward to witnessing the new chapter this November.

Zelda is a mess... lol

I'm also going to throw in Vagrant Story for having an excellent story. I really enjoyed that game and the story was truly engrossing.

Whoever said FF:T must be on something. The translation of the game ruined the story for me a lot... but I still enjoyed it heavily. I just think if they took more time translating it properly it could have been a lot better.

epmode

Apple Jax said:
Really surprised it took a page for someone to mention Grim Fandango which is, to this day, perhaps, the most underrated game of our time. And no one acknowledged it either!
to be honest, i'm kinda tired of constantly naming grim fandango + torment in threads like these.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Star Craft
Star Craft: Brood Wars
Fire Emblem 4
Fire Emblem 5
Detective Club 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Final Fantasy X

Hsieh

The ending to Terranigma. The plot for the game is good, but some of the characterizations are a little weak. Nonetheless, the ending is awesome.

Z

zylo

Unconfirmed Member
Final Fantasy 6&7
Resident Evil 1&2
Suikoden 2&3
Silent Hill 2
Shadow Hearts 1&2
Lunar 1&2
Chrono Trigger
MGS

Gattsu25

Banned
GTA SA
MGS1&2
Baldur's Gate 2
Starcraft
Vagrant Story
ICO
Silent Hill 2
FFX (not the actual story, but the references and similarities to real world topics. also the 'untold' details)
System Shock
System Shock 2
Space Quest 1 - 6

Mashing

Xenogears
Planescape: Torment

I've haven't play any game with betters stories than those two

The writing in Planescape is so good you could almost consider it literature and study it in college.

All you worthless fucks listing Xenogears should be banned.

I agree, and I can make this happen.

Torment is fun and well-written for pulp fantasy, but STUDY IT IN COLLEGE?? JESUS YOU PEOPLE NEED TO READ SOMETHING OTHER THAN DRAGONLANCE.

Mashing

Ok that was an exagerration.... but the point I was trying to get across is that as far as gaming goes, it's the holy grail of good writing.

Oh, btw... Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman own.... so phooey on you!

etiolate

Banned
hmmm... the gaming medium is a unique storytelling machine all it's own, that I don't think any game has taken advantage of ....

Agreed. Too many games want to tell you the story constantly, instead of letting the story play out.

Top Bottom