• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy.com PS3 Preorders. "here is a coupon for your troubles PWNED LOL"

Crackerman16 said:
Except for the profiteers who tried pre-ordering multiple PS3s. I hope their credit cards are maxed out, taking as long as possible to get it cleared up.

No charges have appeared on my Amex. Ha!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't withdraw any money from my checking account right now because of the fact that BB has my preorder money. Now they're going to cancel it? "Hey, sorry about the fact that you couldn't spend your money for 5 days... heh our bad!"

ethelred said:
It's gone from my checking account, too. :/
yep...this is one legal glitch alrite.......a "glitch" that apparently can deduct from your checking account (for all those BB defenders in this thread)

hyp

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wait, has everyone had their orders cancelled? im not at home so i can't check. is the deal officially dead?

nope, not cancelled YET. keepin hope alive since 11/4/06!

Draft

Pimpwerx said:
Meh, who cares? If they cancel, they cancel. If not, then not. FUD all-around, the official word is when that email comes to EVERYONE and we know it's over. I don't need to call some number to find out. If it's cancelled, then that's just money I have to spend again, and I'll try getting one at the BB in Aventura in a few weeks. But life goes on, regardless. PEACE.
ah, so pre-orders are now affected by FUD as well? I think that little term has officially jumped the shark.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So by "not cancelled," do you guys mean that you've actually gotten confirmation emails from BB.com saying that your preorder has gone through and that you'll get the PS3 come 11/17?

I got two emails essentially saying that my PS3 was backordered so they'll send it as soon as it's in stock but they took money out of my account anyways. This could potentially be awful if they just take my money with the intention of sending me a PS3 when resupplies come in, which could be months and months away. :p

chespace said:
So by "not cancelled," do you guys mean that you've actually gotten confirmation emails from BB.com saying that your preorder has gone through and that you'll get the PS3 come 11/17?

I got two emails essentially saying that my PS3 was backordered so they'll send it as soon as it's in stock but they took money out of my account anyways. This could potentially be awful if they just take my money with the intention of sending me a PS3 when resupplies come in, which could be months and months away. :p

The last email I got about the PS3 was a confirmation of my preorder on 11/4. I just checked the order status a few minutes ago and it was still there.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
By not cancelled, we mean the order status says we still have a preorder and it is not backordered. Which is where I fall in as well

But people have already talked to this "Tony" dude from corporate and apparantly all orders are gonna be cancelled soon...sooooooo...

Tarazet

chespace said:

I got a confirmation email that my order was in processing right when I placed it. No more than that. The only update I've gotten since then was a change of UL's release date to the 17th.

chespace

sonarrat said:
I got a confirmation email that my order was in processing right when I placed it. No more than that. The only update I've gotten since then was a change of UL's release date to the 17th.

Alright, well I suppose I'm going to wait a day or so before calling BB.com and asking for them to credit my money back. I can probably get the PS3 in a way that does not require me lending BB.com $671 interest-free dollars.

Very lame all around.

unomas

Banned
Whoa whoa whoa......if this was just some random error why were initial people (myself included, but I only ordered 1) able to add multiple consoles to the shopping cart but later you were limited to 1 per customer? This literally happened on the fly during this whole thing so someone must have been at the controls to make that change. Anyone else curious about that? Also, my order has yet to be cancelled.

bracer028

lets report this to the FCC for violation on false advertising.

Lets report this ot the consumer report as well.

Best buy will be in deep shit

Ravidrath

Both of mine are still "InProcess", so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

This business where Best Buy holds your cash for a week is pretty insane, though. I'm surprised its legal since, yeah, they basically get to earn interest on money they don't even own.

gkryhewy

bracer028 said:

Oh no, not consumer reports?!? That's like the nuclear option. Housewives will be all, 'which toaster is best?' and then they'll see that BB canceled PS3 preorders and will be distraught, with their toasters forgotten.

bracer028

i just dug out my contracts Law class outline from last year

Misrepresentation: a misrepresentation is an assertion not in accord with the facts. Even if made innocently, ignorantly, or carelessly, it is still misrepresentation.

a. Misrepresentation to an assertion of facts can be an opinion; opinion being:

1) a belief, without certainty, as to the existence of a fact; or
2) a judgment as to quality, value, authenticity or similar matters.

b. An opinion can be considered misrepresentation if the person relying on it:

1) stands in a relation of trust and confidence with the speaker or
2) reasonable believes that the speaker has a special skill, judgment of objectivity or
3) for some other reason the recipient is particularly susceptible.

Restatement: it deals with the legal consequences of misrepresentations, but misrepresentation can occur through either assertions, concealments, or non-disclosures. What are the consequences of a misrepresentation? Under R2d §164: “If a party’s…assent is induced by either a fraudulent or a material misrepresentation by the other party upon which the recipient [of the assertion] is justified in relying, the K is voidable by the recipient. The elements of voiding a K because of misrepresentation therefore are:

a. Fraud or Materiality of the misrepresentation; and
b. Justifiable Reliance on the misrepresentation.

we all tell this to the best buy representative....they will be scared the shit outta them. No CSR or supervisor will be able to answer this. Especially "tony"

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
unomas said:
Whoa whoa whoa......if this was just some random error why were initial people (myself included, but I only ordered 1) able to add multiple consoles to the shopping cart but later you were limited to 1 per customer? This literally happened on the fly during this whole thing so someone must have been at the controls to make that change. Anyone else curious about that? Also, my order has yet to be cancelled.

I thought about that... but I am not a programmer really and dont know if they knew at the time that orders were going on....

<--- will be 650 dollars richer in a couple days.

I have an order in too, when I first looked at it I could order multiple consoles but I figured it was a glitch then after checking here, I realized that it might actually work. I logged in again and the text had changed to say only 1 console per user this was at about 1230 EST.

I work in a web app shop and I know for sure that means that someone was in control of changing that text, it was not automated. Right there I figured it was for real and plugged in my CC. I checked 2 minutes ago and it still says in process?? I am crossing my fingers I had ruled out the PS3 for the next six months cos I couldn't be bothered to camp or anything like that but this was too convenient to pass up.

Vard

So lame. Best Buy should at least put the money back into our accounts if they're not going to honor the preorders.

unomas

Banned
aorange999 said:
I have an order in too, when I first looked at it I could order multiple consoles but I figured it was a glitch then after checking here, I realized that it might actually work. I logged in again and the text had changed to say only 1 console per user this was at about 1230 EST.

I work in a web app shop and I know for sure that means that someone was in control of changing that text, it was not automated. Right there I figured it was for real and plugged in my CC. I checked 2 minutes ago and it still says in process?? I am crossing my fingers I had ruled out the PS3 for the next six months cos I couldn't be bothered to camp or anything like that but this was too convenient to pass up.

I guess that confirms they made the change quickly and knew about the pre-orders. That also means if they could make that change that they could surely stop accepting orders quickly if they wanted to as well. Apparently they didn't, but I guess we wait for official cancellation now.

unomas said:
I guess that confirms they made the change quickly and knew about the pre-orders. That also means if they could make that change that they could surely stop accepting orders quickly if they wanted to as well. Apparently they didn't, but I guess we wait for official cancellation now.

Totally, thats why I think there is more to this than just a glitch. Someone could have easily pulled the plug, in a matter of minutes.

If not ...that would mean that once the traffic spike was noticed, someone looked to see where the traffic was going looked at the page left it for about 45 minutes or so to see what to do, was told to change it to 1 per customer instead of just pulling the plug.

I think the glitch was in not limiting the page to one per customer and so they will have to deal with all the multiple console purchasers and all their possible ire. Instead of trying to be selective they will probably now just cancel everyone and maybe run the preorder to select customers or something, and I will once again be stuck with no PS3 until sometime next year :(

unomas

Banned
aorange999 said:
Totally, thats why I think there is more to this than just a glitch. Someone could have easily pulled the plug, in a matter of minutes.

If not ...that would mean that once the traffic spike was noticed, someone looked to see where the traffic was going looked at the page left it for about 45 minutes or so to see what to do, was told to change it to 1 per customer instead of just pulling the plug.

I think the glitch was in not limiting the page to one per customer and so they will have to deal with all the multiple console purchasers and all their possible ire. Instead of trying to be selective they will probably now just cancel everyone and maybe run the preorder to select customers or something, and I will once again be stuck with no PS3 until sometime next year :(

I guess that sucks for everyone that people ordered anywhere from 2-12 and now because of that the rest of us get screwed. I'm still waiting for Best Buy to drop the hammer, as of right now I can still link to the best buy page showing my pre-order and showing a 11/17 release date.

bracer028

i just called CSR and the person told me that they aren't going to honor the online pre-order, however, they are giving the people that pre-ordered a discount/store credit of $25 for each customer that ordered. Sorry for those who ordered 20 ps3s...you only get one discount

chespace said:
Yeah, this is money that's gone from my checking account now.

NOT THAT I NOTICED REALLY BECAUSE I'M ALL M$ AND SHIT AMIRITE LOL

Hmm, sounds to me like you have access to Microsoft's checking account. Okay, then how about this!

*Shoots svengali rays at Che*

YOU WILL BUY US ALL PS3s!!
YOU WILL...

Aw, fvck it, it's over.

unomas said:
I guess that sucks for everyone that people ordered anywhere from 2-12 and now because of that the rest of us get screwed.

Yeah, they would have let you all keep your systems if nobody had ordered more than one.

Ha ha you were getting a PS3 but I ruined it for you.

bracer028 said:
lets report this to the FCC for violation on false advertising.

Best buy will be in deep shit

I just called my congressman. Call yours immediately, then your Senators and your Governor. No justice no peace!

So they're willing to eat $250,000 instead of getting $6,000,000 in sales?

Most of the early adopters for this thing aren't going to be making Best Buy any money anyways (Expect to see PS3s on eBay in record numbers at launch).

We should all rate them on resellerratings.com as well.

bracer028

well if i don't get my ps3 on the 17th, i'll at least get something on the 17th...

i pre ordered a ducktales season 2 set that comes out at that time...at least i'll have that...

unomas

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yeah, they would have let you all keep your systems if nobody had ordered more than one.

Ha ha you were getting a PS3 but I ruined it for you.

I just called my congressman. Call yours immediately, then your Senators and your Governor. No justice no peace!

Gee thanks.

unomas

Banned
WickedAngel said:
So they're willing to eat $250,000 instead of getting $6,000,000 in sales?

Most of the early adopters for this thing aren't going to be making Best Buy any money anyways (Expect to see PS3s on eBay in record numbers at launch).

We should all rate them on resellerratings.com as well.

My thoughts as well, I'll take my $25 gift card but I would have been much happier with a PS3. Blow me "Tony"

chespace

bracer028 said:
i just called CSR and the person told me that they aren't going to honor the online pre-order, however, they are giving the people that pre-ordered a discount/store credit of $25 for each customer that ordered. Sorry for those who ordered 20 ps3s...you only get one discount

The hell is this supposed to mean?

Did they give you an option to refund your money right away?

Top Bottom