• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Officially Announces And Dates Three New Fallout: New Vegas DLCs

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:
Obsidian presents: Radioactive Residue, a post-bombs-dropping-on-stuff game where one plays a role.

I'll love to see Obsidian make an original IP which is successful. Alpha Protocol didn't live up to expectations, but they shouldn't stop trying.

Lakitu

st5fu
I would love if they continued to develop Fallout along with Bethesda (while they're busy on Elder Scrolls).

Obsidian = West Coast stuff
Bethesda = East Coast stuff

duckroll said:
I'll love to see Obsidian make an original IP which is successful. Alpha Protocol didn't live up to expectations, but they shouldn't stop trying.

They've got a such a knack for characters and writing. Whatever they do in the future, they need to focus on those points.

duckroll said:

Did you see this?

Feargus Urquhart said:
“As a studio, we have some original ideas and stories to tell,” he told Game Revolution. “We have a great idea for a new world we’ve just started pitching to publishers and we have an older pitch that we really liked called ‘Defiance’ which is about a fantasy world where, basically, Sauron won.

“We’re also working on an original IP XBLA game, so that hopefully will be out first quarter next year. It’ll be an action RPG that’s focused on fun, not Dungeon Seige, it’s quite a bit different in a different genre with a different camera.

“We also might throw our hat in the whole free-to-play thing. In the game industry there’s a lot of different opportunities for all different kinds of products.”

“There actually is another game that I can’t talk about at all… it’s a licensed product but when people hear about it, they’re going to be ‘Well you had to do that. There’s no option. If I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it’.”

So that's 3 new IPs mentioned in the one interview and this mysterious "must do" license which, if I understood Evilore's implication in the lay-offs thread, may very well be a Wheel of Time game. It's a good time to love Obsidian!

dionysus

Yaldog
duckroll said:

I really think AP will be remembered as a damn good game by rpg fans in the future. Your complaints, and the main complaints in general, are about certain gameplay mechanics being broken and bugs. Correct me if I am wrong.

It is just that a ton of the most beloved crpgs have exactly the same problems, see Arcanum for broken gameplay mechanics, ditto PST in the combat gameplay.

It seems to me that a majority of modern gamers demand a level of polish in gaming that is incompatible with the branching paths, meaningful choices, and varied mechanics to complete objects. For example, in an FPS you have to design an enemy, encounter, and level around only a few mechanics given to the player. In a game like AP, you have to design enemies that can not only be defeated by shooting them, but also by punching them, sneaking up on them, talking them into committing suicide, hacking the turrets to shoot them, etc etc. That level of choice does not make a polished game.

duckroll

jim-jam bongs said:
Did you see this?

So that's 3 new IPs mentioned in the one interview and this mysterious "must do" license which, if I understood Evilore's implication in the lay-offs thread, may very well be a Wheel of Time game. It's a good time to love Obsidian!

Yes, I follow Obsidian news pretty closely. I'm a realist though, so given the history of the studio, I'm not going to actually expect anything to actually be real and meaningful until it's released and on my Steam account. When I say I "hope" Obsidian does something, what I really mean is that I hope whatever they're doing doesn't get canned. :p

:(

dionysus said:
I really think AP will be remembered as a damn good game by rpg fans in the future. Your complaints, and the main complaints in general, are about certain gameplay mechanics being broken and bugs. Correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think I have ever complained about a bug in AP ever. I did not run into any game breaking bugs in the game at all, nor did it ever crash on me. The framerate was pretty decent on the PC too. My complaints have to do with how the game was presented to players, and the options the game presented not representing accurately the actual options the player has which would work. You can find more detailed comments in threads actually discussing AP.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
dionysus said:
It seems to me that a majority of modern gamers demand a level of polish in gaming that is incompatible with the branching paths, meaningful choices, and varied mechanics to complete objects. For example, in an FPS you have to design an enemy, encounter, and level around only a few mechanics given to the player. In a game like AP, you have to design enemies that can not only be defeated by shooting them, but also by punching them, sneaking up on them, talking them into committing suicide, hacking the turrets to shoot them, etc etc. That level of choice does not make a polished game.
Thats why i laughed when someone suggest that Valve buy Obsidian. Valve takes years and years to release a linear shooter thats half as long as Lord of the Rings. If they had any hand in something with RPG mechanics it would be 30-40 years before they released it.

Lakitu said:
I would love if they continued to develop Fallout along with Bethesda (while they're busy on Elder Scrolls).

Obsidian = West Coast stuff
Bethesda = East Coast stuff
Pretty much, but the massive gameplay improvements from NV need to carry over.

East Coast games darker and more serious in tone, West Coast games more in line with previous Fallouts.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
MickeyKnox said:
Pretty much, but the massive gameplay improvements from NV need to carry over.

East Coast games darker and more serious in tone
, West Coast games more in line with previous Fallouts.
i dont get that at all. Darker in green hue maybe but more serious in tone?

duckroll said:
Yes, I follow Obsidian news pretty closely. I'm a realist though, so given the history of the studio, I'm not going to actually expect anything to actually be real and meaningful until it's released and on my Steam account. When I say I "hope" Obsidian does something, what I really mean is that I hope whatever they're doing doesn't get canned. :p

:(

Yeah that's true, hopefully they can make some decent enough bank from doing Dungeon Siege and Secret Obsidian Game that they'll keep on trucking. Which reminds me, I'ma start throwing copies of DS3 at people on my Steam list.

water_wendi said:
Thats why i laughed when someone suggest that Valve buy Obsidian. Valve takes years and years to release a linear shooter thats half as long as Lord of the Rings. If they had any hand in something with RPG mechanics it would be 30-40 years before they released it.

Realistically the only RPG I think Valve could pull off would be an online-only ARPG -- and DOTA2 doesn't count since it's basically a port and reskin according to them -- just because they would only need to devote 8 years or so to the first release then iterate for the next decade until it was "finished".

hemtae

dionysus said:
How can you play NV and think the NCR is good? NCR is documented to have committed several tribal genocides in their expansion into the Mojave. I'd even rank House as a more benevolent force than the NCR.

I agree with the NCR being a shade of grey, but House was nowhere near a benevolent force, with the whole killing of the brotherhood, total police state, and general treatment of freeside.

dionysus

Yaldog
hemtae said:
I agree with the NCR being a shade of grey, but House was nowhere near a benevolent force, with the whole killing of the brotherhood, total police state, and general treatment of freeside.

That part of the brotherhood of steel was incompetent and deserved to be wiped out. Even though I killed House for my own ambition, he was my favorite faction.

Also, the beauty of NV is how everyone has a different experience. I didn't quest much in Freeside, so I didn't see his treatment of them. God what a great game. All the factions are so nuanced.

duckroll

dionysus said:
That part of the brotherhood of steel was incompetent and deserved to be wiped out. Even though I killed House for my own ambition, he was my favorite faction.

Get out of my head! :D

tokkun

jim-jam bongs said:
Did you talk to Caesar much? He makes a pretty good case for his philosophy. I don't agree with it, but to say that The Legion are super evil is a bit simplistic.

That's just because Caesar talks bullshit. Look at the actual policies of the Legion, such as the status of women in society and tell me they are not clearly evil.

At the risk of triggering Godwin's Law, many people who talked to Adolph Hitler found him to be a persuasive and charismatic personality. That doesn't make the morality of his policies any less stark.

water_wendi said:
i dont get that at all. Darker in green hue maybe but more serious in tone?

In FO3, humanity was on the brink of collapse. In NV civilization is returning and you are fighting to determine the path of society.

tokkun said:
That's just because Caesar talks bullshit. Look at the actual policies of the Legion, such as the status of women in society and tell me they are not clearly evil.

At the risk of triggering Godwin's Law, many people who talked to Adolph Hitler found him to be a persuasive and charismatic personality. That doesn't make the morality of his policies any less stark.

Hah, ignoring the Godwin, again I'm not suggesting they aren't evil just because Caesar is a smoothie. They're a relatively primitive society which believes that women are the weaker gender and have no technology which would prove otherwise. I'd call that ignorant rather than evil honestly.

duckroll

tokkun said:

By any reasonable standards of a developed society which believes in human rights, the Legion is undeniably evil. I think what makes the faction is interesting though, is that it is not a simplistic form of evil. There is clear depth in the philosophy of the faction, and even within the ranks not everyone agrees with everything. Ultimately they all do evil things, and anyone supporting such a faction is clearly playing a character who is by no means a moral compass. But what is intriguing is that there is a logic and rational for what the Legion does, and the horrible practices they have. It makes sense within the context of what they do, and what they want to achieve with the resources they have, but it does not excuse their actions.

jim-jam bongs said:
Hah, ignoring the Godwin, again I'm not suggesting they aren't evil just because Caesar is a smoothie. They're a relatively primitive society which believes that women are the weaker gender and have no technology which would prove otherwise. I'd call that ignorant rather than evil honestly.

That is not really why they do what they do though. The leaders most definitely do not "believe" that women are the weaker gender. Instead, their philosophy requires the majority of their ranks to believe such, for practical reasons based on logistics, manpower, and psychology.

That actually makes it a conscious evil, which is even worse, but yet another layer which makes them so fascinating.

tokkun

jim-jam bongs said:

Lest we not forget, Caesar himself came from the Followers - a group that appears to have gender equality. Ignorance doesn't seem like a workable excuse.

Can't quote because I'm on my phone, Duck you hit the nail on the head with your comment about having a belief in human rights. I guess my point is that it's a form of relative evil, rather than an absolute. While Caesar is clearly a megalomaniac who has beliefs which are abhorrent to me, like you said there is a clear reasoning behind his actions. It's not just evil for evil's sake like the Fiends.

And Tok, perhaps he saw that as a weakness of the Followers? He also grew up around the NCR and rejected their teachings too.

Just need PSN to go live again so I can buy the first DLC for New Vegas. Obsidian did a good job with NV, but I'm really hyped for the eventual Fallout 4. Skyrim looks amazing and hopefully they use the new engine for Fallout 4.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
tokkun said:
In FO3, humanity was on the brink of collapse. In NV civilization is returning and you are fighting to determine the path of society.
Civilization in FO3 was at the brink of collapse? i never got that impression. What community was at risk of collapsing? Excepting any calamity that you cause personally like Megaton being vaporized i cant think of anything like that. i guess the 3 or 4 people that were being terrorized by vampires were at risk of collapsing (but not really.. they only thought they were at risk). The superhero town is at no risk.. in fact the locals hire you because they are tired of the whole costumed thing. The Vault you left is doing pretty well under Amatas leadership, iirc. Rivet City, the largest bastion of humanity in the DC Wasteland, has absolutely no tangible threat to it.

In fact, if there is any danger of society (as we know it) collapsing, its in New Vegas. There is the very real threat that the main democratic society in the post-bomb world (the NCR) is going to be consumed in its struggle against Caesars Legion and House.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Awesome.

I'm kind of surprised Graham is wearing a vest, with all the stories we've heard about him being a batshit crazy fucker more powerful than the legate that succeeded him, it doesn't seem like he would need it.

Hopefully he's a companion for the duration, I play goody two shoes on first run of everything but if this guy wants to blow up and set on fire a town or two, god help me, I'm going along for the ride.

Dr. Chaos said:
Hopefully he's a companion for the duration, I play goody two shoes on first run of everything but if this guy wants to blow up and set on fire a town or two, god help me, I'm going along for the ride.

Word around town is that he's New Vegas' HK-47 so I seriously hope you can keep him around the whole time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
jim-jam bongs said:
Word around town is that he's New Vegas' HK-47 so I seriously hope you can keep him around the whole time.
Wait wait wait.. Graham is going to be a companion? If they integrate him into the main game.. holy shit, i cannot wait to see the interaction.

water_wendi said:
Wait wait wait.. Graham is going to be a companion? If they integrate him into the main game.. holy shit, i cannot wait to see the interaction.

I think it's unconfirmed at this point, but he was supposed to be a companion in Van Buren, and pretty much everything they wanted to do in VB they've put into NV now. Given that this is "his" DLC pack it would make sense.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
jim-jam bongs said:
I think it's unconfirmed at this point, but he was supposed to be a companion in Van Buren, and pretty much everything they wanted to do in VB they've put into NV now. Given that this is "his" DLC pack it would make sense.
wta8lu.gif

Fredescu

I'm champing at the bit to do another New Vegas playthrough, but I think I'll wait until these four are out. Maybe. I have Witcher 2 and Dungeon Siege 3 to distract me for a little bit I guess.

MechaX

Meh. Dunno if I'll bite for any of them. I might get Lonesome Road simply because I've always been pretty curious on the entire original Courier Six story thread.

water_wendi said:
ohmahgawd.gif

Seriously. The only thing that NV lacked was seriously evil companions. They all basically become altruists or amoral depending on what the player does with their quests, but something tells me there ain't no redemption angle for The Burned Man.

Ugh all of these DLCs sound interesting but am I really going to fork over 2400 MSP just to play them all, and then groan to myself when the GOTY edition comes out later in the fall?

The answer to this is undoubtedly yes, yes I am, because I am Obsidian's bitch. God I love New Vegas. Go ahead, take my money you DLC bastards. Take it while I weep joyous tears.

dionysus said:
You act like Obsidian could buy anything. They are perpetually on the verge of going under from what I can gather.

Edit. Also, despite all the engine's problems, I doubt Obsidian has the expertise to make an open world capable engine.

Troika wanted the franchise and were outbid by Bethesda, is what I heard.

also apparently final level is 50 (all dlcs add 5 levels) whelp I guess youll be friggen Neo by level 50, but heres the info from nma (in turn from bethesda thread post)

http://www.nma-fallout.com/
No Mutants Allowed said:
Matt Grandstaff has been offering info in the Honest Hearts thread. On level cap:

Each DLC will raise the level cap by 5. So including Dead Money, if you've got them all, you'll have a cap of 50.

If the prospect of being level 50 makes the game too easy for you.

And for you, I have good news. If you’re concerned that the new level cap increases will make the game too easy for you, I've got a couple things to note:

1) Congratulations on being hardcore
2) Old World Blues will offer a new trait (and respec your traits if you've already chosen them) that will allow you to cap your level at 30 (or current level if you’re already over 30).

On playing beyond the main quest.

Unrelated, wanted to note that none of the upcoming DLCs will allow you to play beyond the main quest (for the same reasons noted by the developers prior to the game's release).

itd be cool if they had some sorta "keepin it old school" achievement/ in game reward for locking yourself at 30 with level 50 enemies running around.

I beat NV twice, first playthru was about 30? hours, 2nd playthru i just rushed thru in maybe 10, I was gonna do a third (when dead money came out) but I think ill hold off and just wait till july with all the dlc and do a mega playthru. Im sitting on BG1 BG2 and Planescape Torment largely unplayed so I have stuff to do rpg wise till july i think. :D

duckroll

http://www.veronicabelmont.com/2011/05/ill-see-you-in-new-vegas/

Veronica Belmont said:
I’m excited to say that I’ll be voicing not one… not two… but three characters (not all human) in the upcoming DLC for Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blues! There will be many more details coming in the next episode of Qore, hopefully out next week, including the names and descriptions of all the characters I’m voicing (none of them are named Felicia… sorry everyone!).

Angry Fork

Ickman3400 said:
By all means try to impress me.

And no you can't use "atmosphere" as a reason. That is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post with "I...just like it better". Atmosphere is an extremely vague thing that means something different to everyone.

Concrete stuff only.
Fallout 3 has meaningful and emotional build up that allows you to care for your father/events around you for the first half of the game. Leaving the vault becomes a meaningful, interesting goal and finding your father is the same way. The 2nd half of the story treads off and gets dull but the first half is better than the story in Vegas.

In Vegas they just show you get shot by guys in the beginning...and that's it? We're supposed to care about getting revenge just based on that? We don't even know who the guy who shot us was, why he shot us, etc. all of these things are important to get you to care about the story. I cared 0% about the story in Vegas because there was no build up and no reason for doing anything. They told you why you should want revenge, rather than making you feel like you want revenge. The 2nd half of Vegas was cool in the amount of story choices you had and things really got rolling in a good way, but the first half of Vegas story was so dreadful imo.

I like Fallout 3's story more because I care about what happens to the characters around me and myself, in Vegas it's just a bunch of random people thrown at you with no explanation.

Another reason I liked Fallout 3 more is the locales in the game. Fallout 3 is much more about exploring and finding cool areas, and those area's being incorporated significantly within the storyline (the large boat, the capital building/washington monument stuff, the underground tunnel stations, the town with the bomb in it, etc.). And more importantly these towns/areas have cool important stuff. (The bomb, the bill of rights protected by a shitload of turrets/safes, etc.)

In Vegas when you go exploring around the majority of what you find are empty shacks filled with meaningless ammo or empty caves with an occasional monster or 2. Exploring in Vegas was extremely un-fulfilling, pointless and unrewarding. (Not sure if unfulfilling/rewarding is a word lol.) I liked Vegas don't get me wrong, it was good and the gameplay/weapons/options in Vegas are better, but I care more about finding cool things and bypassing security stuff to get to them and so on rather than just blowing up enemies with a huge tesla cannon thing. Finding new locations in Fallout 3 was like "omg I can't wait to see what's in here" and usually I was rewarded for my effort, but in Vegas you go into a cave and take down all the monsters and you don't get anything for it except ammo, it's just lame as hell.

WEGGLES

The first 2 sound interesting, but any desire to spend $20 more on this game is quickly killed by the fact that the game constantly crashed to desktop.

Maybe it's better now? I haven't played in a while... but the fact that the majority of my time was marred with bugs and crashes hampers any want to play this game again.

Angry Fork

bonesmccoy said:
Angry Fork, was F3 your first fallout?

If it wasn't, which previous Fallout game did you prefer?
Yes it was, which might be why I like F3 more. I see a lot of posts saying New Vegas is more similar to Fallout 1 and 2 so that's why they liked it more.

FrankT

Finally, only been waiting 4 months plus capped out I guess a couple of more weeks will not hurt. Anyhow nice to see the rest coming a month/2 after the next. Level 50 is fine by me.

FrankT

AlimNassor said:
The Burned man looks awesome. I can't wait.

I liked the unedited comment better. Thing about Caesar to me is he simply didn't really seem like one at all when I walked into camp mid game and wiped him and the entire camp out. Too simplistic, but nevertheless satisfying.

Angry Fork said:
Yes it was, which might be why I like F3 more. I see a lot of posts saying New Vegas is more similar to Fallout 1 and 2 so that's why they liked it more.

That's been the big divider. For us old-heads, F3 felt a lot like an Oblivion mod, whereas FNV was in almost every way 'truer' to the original two games.

It explains why, for example, I was able to put up with the large number of bugs in FNV and not have that negatively affect my experience, but then get fed up with what I saw as shallow attempts at Fallout humour in F3 (Republic of Dave/Tranquility Lane).

Angry Fork

bonesmccoy said:
That's been the big divider. For us old-heads, F3 felt a lot like an Oblivion mod, whereas FNV was in almost every way 'truer' to the original two games.

It explains why, for example, I was able to put up with the large number of bugs in FNV and not have that negatively affect my experience, but then get fed up with what I saw as shallow attempts at Fallout humour in F3 (Republic of Dave/Tranquility Lane).
Bugs is actually one thing I haven't experienced at all in NV. I've played about 40-60 hours of gameplay I think on it, I can't remember the number but in that time I only froze once. I haven't even experienced the usual weird glitches like weapons stuck in walls and stuff like that.

I usually play it extremely softly though because the engine/controls feel like the game is about to break at any moment so I often walk "normally" and don't interact with too many things too quickly etc. I make sure things load properly before continuing and I just don't click things too fast. Fallout 3 I had a lot of rage moments though mainly with the game crashing, eventually I grew a mindset to hit quicksave after walking a while or doing anything important just incase it crashed.

Interesting how that works out. I didn't have any issues with bugs with F3 until I started adding mods, but FNV gave me hassles from day 1.

I have a feeling we're going to get great dlc out of this. I don't think there will be a repeat of Anchorage/Zeta, thank goodness.

tokkun

water_wendi said:
Civilization in FO3 was at the brink of collapse? i never got that impression. What community was at risk of collapsing? Excepting any calamity that you cause personally like Megaton being vaporized i cant think of anything like that. i guess the 3 or 4 people that were being terrorized by vampires were at risk of collapsing (but not really.. they only thought they were at risk). The superhero town is at no risk.. in fact the locals hire you because they are tired of the whole costumed thing. The Vault you left is doing pretty well under Amatas leadership, iirc. Rivet City, the largest bastion of humanity in the DC Wasteland, has absolutely no tangible threat to it.

In fact, if there is any danger of society (as we know it) collapsing, its in New Vegas. There is the very real threat that the main democratic society in the post-bomb world (the NCR) is going to be consumed in its struggle against Caesars Legion and House.

I didn't expect this to be a point of contention, but OK.

In Fallout 3 the few human stronghold you see are isolated with no effective support if they are attacked. Big Town can be completely wiped out by mutants. Ditto Germantown. Megaton can be completely wiped off the map. Old Olney is destroyed by Death Claws. Most of DC has been taken over by mindless Super Mutants. Environmentally, there is a question of whether the human species is viable. There is no source of non-irradiated water, and the local populace has suffered genetic damage (at least according to the Enclave).

New Vegas is in a much more stable state. The major conflict is between different human societies, whether the victor is House, NCR, or Legion, determines whether society follows democracy, military-centric dictatorship, or plutocracy (which I might point out, are all societies that currently exist in the modern world!). Within each of those societies, there is a form of enforced law and order. There seems to be access to clean food and water. It doesn't seem as if monsters are at imminent risk of overrunning the settlements.

Top Bottom