• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

ZXhfNbh.png

Where's the lie in the second paragraph?

in a year where ANTi and lemonade have been welcomed with open arms by pop stans?

the facT of the matter is that perfect illusion simply isn't very good.

Ummmmm Work by the Rhat is a very safe club song so that example doesn't work (lol)

Beyoncé? Beyoncé is a brand at this time, even if she shits everyone will praise iT. Also her music is very much so pop and RNB, there's nothing risky or experimental about it

GAGA? Perfect Illusion is a risk, it ain't safe and doesn't sound like any other song on the radio. PI is awesome, it works and is insanely catchy.

Glad PI is having amazing success, far better than Applesauce that's certain!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Little Mons†er;216418276 said:
Ummmmm Work by the Rhat is a very safe club song so that example doesn't work (lol)

Beyoncé? Beyoncé is a brand at this time, even if she shits everyone will praise iT. Also her music is very much so pop and RNB, there's nothing risky or experimental about it

GAGA? Perfect Illusion is a risk, it ain't safe and doesn't sound like any other song on the radio. PI is awesome, it works and is insanely catchy.

Wait for the first week of sales before celebrating.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
YASSS love tove lo
why the rap feature though
Wiz Khalfia is a fairly popular rapper and she wants radio play since Cool Girl bombed. My girlfriend is going to be so psyched since she loves both.

Seriously.

Also, The Greatest is better without Kendrick. There I said it.
I disagree. Without him there it's just empty space. It's why Dark Horse sounds weird without Juicy J. If there was an alternative version where she actually had lyrics then I might agree, like Taylor Swift's Bad Blood.

Yado

Little Mons†er;216418276 said:

In what world is work a safe pop song? Singing in Jamaican patios over a dancehall beat is safe now? Have you forgotten all the people who were mocking her and pretending not to understand what she was saying?

PI isn't "risky", it's just noise.

rhandino

Banned
Are we going to pretend that Rihanna first song for the era was Work and not FourFiveSeconds? A song that was incredible successful even when it sounded nothing like anything on mainstream radio and still managed to chart in the Top 5 only being topped by Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran and Ellen Goulding?

Also, let's not pretend that Perfect Illusion is a risky song with the perfect radio length and the overall feel of being the base for a club remix. God, I am honestly surprised that you are using that same tired argument that people tried to peddle during the Applause launch arguing that it was the reason that the song underperformed against Roar but now is being used as a way to make the current success of Perfect Illusion look as something bigger than it is and will be.

And that is all.

YkRqI4v.gif

rhandino

Banned
OMG!!! YOU BUNCH OF C*NTS WHY NOBODY TOLD ME ABOUT GODSANNE SUNDFOR X ROYKSOPP

l9AbAgX.gif

End me queen!

Putting in perspective, risky is what Madonna did when she released Erotica.

PI is just bad.
Something like Erotica is never going to happen again with the current stable of pop girls.

#Sad

EDIT: After a few listens I don't dislike Perfect Illusion but it could be better than it is rn... I feel the same way as I feel about Meteorite in MiaMTEC: Too short with not enough time to breath.

rhandino

Banned
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Lady Gaga, an artist know for her controversial and sometimes excellent MV, drops her songs without any kind of visual to accompany?

Her stans: "THE MUSIC NOT THE BLING BUT OMG! THE SONG IS #1 IN iTUNES!!!!"

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Lady Gaga, an artist know for her controversial and sometimes excellent MV, drops her songs without any kind of visual to accompany?

Her stans: "THE MUSIC NOT THE BLING BUT OMG! THE SONG IS #1 IN iTUNES!!!!"

It won't be number one for long tho

Wow that tumblr post is so stupid fucking lol

Perfect Delusion sucks. It doesn't go anywhere, it's not risky, it's repetitive as fuck, it's not "Rock, it's overly long, it's a vocal mess, it doesn't stick with you, and it feels like she ran out of lyrics by the time the first minute passes. I understand forcing yourself to pretend to like it because she's your fave, but don't try to blame your fave's incompetence on pop music stans or any kind of music stans.

That Gaga failed to deliver something that "real music" fans and pop fans could find interesting or enjoyable is not their fault. It's her fault for not being able to deliver a good fucking song after all these years. Sit down. Beyonce did a rock song and it rocks and people liked it. Rihanna did a Tame Impala cover and it was amazing and she nailed it. Pop fans are open minded, it's just that Gaga can't try new stuff without bringing stupid shit into it or she doesn't go all the way with it because she still cares about the coins and all her stans get is a watered down version of what she claims to be doing.

Vazra

Little Mons†er;216428053 said:
I actually am expecting Perfect Illusion to be Gaga's worst performing lead single

I actually enjoy it but oh well, I don't really care tbh

I like seeing how you started like yasss your faves are over and now you are like music not the bling.
invoker-laugh.gif

Vazra

Little Mons†er;216428851 said:
I say slot of things when I get hyped ;)

your faves are still over, nothing has changed
Deep red updates FTW. I can see this dropping to the 2nd spot tomorrow or even lower.
1cc0ce83dd.png

Ahasverus

PI sounds just unfinished. It lacks more lyrics,more hooks, more parts of the song, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a "real" version still in the works (given that the mastering and stuff is still incomplete).

Koodo

Banned
Let's review 2010:

- Beyoncé is struggling to be called an artist after the critically lambasted Sasha Fierce, and featuring on Telephone is seen as a daring and artistic move.
- Rihanna sharts out another album of fillers that is merely a vessel to move the singles. Her stage presence and voice remain dire.
- Gaga is at the peak of the industry and pop culture worldwide, both with critical and commercial acclaim.
- Britney Spears, though highly medicated, is garnering enough attention to out-sell most of her peers.
- Adele has sold roughly 3 million copies worldwide.

Now in 2016:

- Beyoncé is now regarded among the most creatively daring artists to have walked the planet, caused a disruption in album releases that would forever impact the industry, and commands the highest demand for touring out of any act.
- Rihanna evolved to become an artist with disregard for industry trends and actively attempts to create memorable albums and performances (whether she hits or misses the mark is another question).
- Gaga is a joke who ceased to become self-aware of her work and now spends her time role-playing personas in an act of desperate defiance that is at the peak of creative bankruptcy. Commercially, she is now considered below Katy Perry.
- Britney Spears exchanged career success for progress in mental health. Can no longer move record numbers or book top of the line producers, and joins fellow musketeer Christina in the musical afterlife.
- Adele has sold over 55 million albums.

And we still have some girls up here thinking like we're in 2010.

eSoeT60.gif

Frodo

Wow that tumblr post is so stupid fucking lol

Perfect Delusion sucks. It doesn't go anywhere, it's not risky, it's repetitive as fuck, it's not "Rock, it's overly long, it's a vocal mess, it doesn't stick with you, and it feels like she ran out of lyrics by the time the first minute passes. I understand forcing yourself to pretend to like it because she's your fave, but don't try to blame your fave's incompetence on pop music stans or any kind of music stans.

That Gaga failed to deliver something that "real music" fans and pop fans could find interesting or enjoyable is not their fault. It's her fault for not being able to deliver a good fucking song after all these years. Sit down. Beyonce did a rock song and it rocks and people liked it. Rihanna did a Tame Impala cover and it was amazing and she nailed it. Pop fans are open minded, it's just that Gaga can't try new stuff without bringing stupid shit into it or she doesn't go all the way with it because she still cares about the coins and all her stans get is a watered down version of what she claims to be doing.

I agrih with this. Never in my life I thought I would stan Carly Rae Jepsen, of all people. But then she rihleased quality (two years in a row) and here I am. Stanning freaking Carly Rae Jepsen.

I used to stan Gaga when she debuted in 2008 and before she got the public recognition, because, guess what?, she delivered quality with her The Fame. She was visually and musically interesting, and I'm here for new stuff, if the new stuff has something to say. However, Gaga has become less and less interesting as the time goes by, and once again, she fail to deliver something worth listening twice.

I'm here for her if the album ends up being good. But I'm not here for PI.

Same way I wasn't here for Beyonce since post-B-Day but she managed to get my attention back with Lemonade.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Let's review 2010:

- Beyoncé is struggling to be called an artist after the critically lambasted Sasha Fierce, and featuring on Telephone is seen as a daring and artistic move.
- Rihanna sharts out another album of fillers that is merely a vessel to move the singles. Her stage presence and voice remain dire.
- Gaga is at the peak of the industry and pop culture worldwide, both with critical and commercial acclaim.
- Britney Spears, though highly medicated, is garnering enough attention to out-sell most of her peers.

Now in 2016:

- Beyoncé is now regarded among the most creatively daring artists to have walked the planet, caused a disruption in album releases that would forever impact the industry, and commands the highest demand for touring out of any act.
- Rihanna evolved to become an artist with disregard for industry trends and actively attempts to create memorable albums and performances (whether she hits or misses the mark is another question).
- Gaga is a joke who ceased to become self-aware of her work and now spends her time role-playing personas in an act of desperate defiance that is at the peak of creative bankruptcy. Commercially, she is now considered below Katy Perry.
- Britney Spears exchanged career success for progress in mental health. Can no longer move record numbers or book top of the line producers, and joins fellow musketeer Christina in the musical afterlife.

eSoeT60.gif

reading is FUNDAMENTAL

Let's review 2010:

Now in 2016:

eSoeT60.gif

"TEA"

Sistren, it wouldn't be a proper Gaga song if it didn't completely skirt around our expectations and piss half of y'all off. Nothing new here. Bad Romance did the same; a fact people conveniently seem to forget because it doesn't align with this contrived idea that Gaga "used to be good but now isn't." This has been a critique lobbed her way ever since her. third. single.

I struggled when I first heard PI because what I was hearing didn't align with the sound I thought she knew she was supposed to be making. Then I realized that familiar dissonance is what I feel with every single hyped up single of hers upon first listen. She's always on another frequency than what we want her to be, or think she needs to be to save her currently illustrious and healthy career. That's been for better or worse, as she's delivered in spades just as often as she's fallen short. I don't know where this single is gonna take her but I've been seeing a lot of high praise as well as a lot of flabbergast; a footnote in every release of hers not named Poker Face. As an honest fan, I'm more excited about her musical direction now than I think I ever was. She finally seems more comfortable shedding the artifice than tersely needing to validate it (hi, Applause).

PI feels more like an app sampler than an entree. I'm not completely satisfied, but I'm hungry for what's next. My girl's back and I'm happy. :)

In conclusion, not liking PI makes a lot of sense. So does loving it. Her videos tend to ground the songs a bit more so I'm curious to see if minds will change once that drops.

Frodo

Wait! Who didn't like Bad Romance?

Edit: wait! who is RollingStones?

Edit2: there is someone smoking weed in this building and the smell is in my f****g room.

rhandino

Banned
Let's review 2010:

Now in 2016:

eSoeT60.gif
GAWD!

hylT1v7.gif

Vazduh

Let's review 2010:

Now in 2016:

YAS, SON, TELL THEM!

giphy.gif

Neptune

tumblr_m8m1tmI7Hy1r3ty02o1_400.gif

"Perfect Illusion" had potential, but it's so dissatisfying to listen to. The pre-chorus seems like it's building towards something and then it just ends and moves on. It's like if you edited out the Give me the thing that I love... part from "Applause" and just had the I live for the applause, applause, applause as the song's big moment. It just doesn't work.

At least M.I.A. and Röyksopp coming on the same day helped make up for this disappointment.

Top Bottom