• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

Yas Charli, Lana, Madonna, RHPS OST, Grimes, Susan and Gwen

Yes Charli, Grimes, Madonna, Chicago Soundtrack, and Tove Lo.
Thanks 😘

But for real most of my current music taste I found through POPGAF recs, so I really appreciate this community. Before coming here I basically just listened to Gaga with other things on the side. Now I have everything else and a side of Gaga.

I gotta say something:
Starboy sounded good on the first couple listens but, much like most of Weekend's music, got bored of it pretty quick.
Justin Bieber has 2 songs that are basically the same song by two different DJs? Why is he still a thing?
Calvin Harris' new song is as forgettable and generic as most of his work.
Sia has been rehashing the same generic "single" since Chandelier, will it ever fucking stop?!
I was lukewarm on Closer by Chainsmokers & Halsey at first, but I dig it now..it's a cool song.
No amount of listens make Imperfect Illusion "A good song", some say it needs a "100 listens" but I think that's just a delusion.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
rs_1024x572-160927061019-1024.katy-perry-naked.92716.jpg
Katy Perry Votes Naked, Then Gets Arrested

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
it's like the music carly tries to make but can't.

nope! and I think the deluxe ver is on apple music now :)

:(

Hmm haven't been able to find it. I really just want the Bad Blood version with Kendrick though at this point.

e-mo-tion is better than 1989 and even taydolf stans admit it tho.
micheal_zps45ccf519.gif

but congratulations i guess for moving outside of your self-imposed gaga prison. now that you have something to compare it to i'm sure that your opinion of post-TFM gaga will crumble like literally every other gaga stan's has done.

Emotion is definitely not better than 1989 I'm sorry, it's just not.

I gotta say something:
Starboy sounded good on the first couple listens but, much like most of Weekend's music, got bored of it pretty quick.
Justin Bieber has 2 songs that are basically the same song by two different DJs? Why is he still a thing?
Calvin Harris' new song is as forgettable and generic as most of his work.
Sia has been rehashing the same generic "single" since Chandelier, will it ever fucking stop?!
I was lukewarm on Closer by Chainsmokers & Halsey at first, but I dig it now..it's a cool song.
No amount of listens make Imperfect Illusion "A good song", some say it needs a "100 listens" but I think that's just a delusion.
I actually really like Starboy now, but wasn't a fan of it on the first listen.
And people love Justin Bieber now, and the songs are different although the DJ Snake song (Let Me Love You) sounds way too similar to Lean On from last year.
I like the Calvin Harris song, but yeah it's really forgettable.
I don't really agree with the Sia "Chandlier" comment. I think "The Greatest" does sound very similar to "Cheap Thrills" though.

Vazduh

True, although one doesn't need metacritic to know that Carly's album is better than Hitlor's.

giphy.gif

Carly did that.

ZRVmYvyg5aFKU.gif

That doesn't mean 1989 is bad, it's just not on that level.

It's hard to deny that the overt praise for E-MO-TION wouldn't be quite as overt if an artist as big as Taylor Swift were behind it. If Carly had released 1989 instead we'd be calling it one of the best pop albums of the decade. Context always carries a great deal of leverage, both in our perception of music and with critics.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's hard to deny that the overt praise for E-MO-TION wouldn't be quite as overt if an artist as big as Taylor Swift were behind it. If Carly had released 1989 instead we'd be calling it one of the best pop albums of the decade. Context always carries a great deal of leverage, both in our perception of music and with critics.

carly did release e-mo-tion and it is one of the best pop albums of the decade. it's not her or her stans problem that some people can't deal with the fact that their faves have been clocked by the 'call me maybe girl'
micheal_zps45ccf519.gif

carly did release e-mo-tion and it is one of the best pop albums of the decade. it's not her or her stans problem that some people can't deal with the fact that their faves have been clocked by the 'call me maybe girl'
micheal_zps45ccf519.gif

Carly caught me by surprise, but after listening to just HALF the album I was calling it one of my favorites, and I was championing the album later that week.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
One of them won album of the Year and sold 10 million copies, the other was forgotten the day after release and sold 150k

i agree, it's tragic that the better album didn't perform as well commerically, but i don't see what it has to do with what i said
micheal_zps45ccf519.gif

Frodo

So what 1989 sold more?

Unless you want to say 25 is the best album of the decade or so.

I like both Carly and Taylor's efforts. I just think Carly's feels more authentic and it got way more mileage than Taylor's for me. And this is not even including SIDE B. SIDE B destroys everyone's career.

I mean I love E-MO-TION but it's obvious that Carly had the advantage of releasing good music without any external pressures or expectations of how good it was going to be. Liking something that you were underestimating can make you overstate its quality I think.

Listening to both albums recently (back to back) I decided that 1989 was probably marginally better. Carly suffers from repeating similar chords and instrumentation and I could probably shave a good third off of E-MO and be fine with it. Carly stayed in her comfort zone while Taylor showed a bit more versatility Michelle Visage.

MANUELF

Banned
I mean I love E-MO-TION but it's obvious that Carly had the advantage of releasing good music without any external pressures or expectations of how good it was going to be. Liking something that you were underestimating can make you overstate its quality I think.

Listening to both albums recently (back to back) I decided that 1989 was probably marginally better. Carly suffers from repeating similar chords and instrumentation and I could probably shave a good third off of E-MO and be fine with it. Carly stayed in her comfort zone while Taylor showed a bit more versatility Michelle Visage.
Also This was the first album with taylord going full Pop and making the risk of killing her country fanbase from her last albums, instead she made a critical darling and comercial success and made Taylor made her a household name outside the US

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
for me i put emotion in the same kind of artist wake-up call as robyn by godbyn. you can either ignore it and relegate yourself to the dustbin of poor taste or accept it into your life and be blessed.

i don't think that maybe it's quite AS good as robyn (few pop albers are), but in terms of unexpected wig snatchings it's up there.

comparisons to taydolf aren't really fair. one is a decent artist putting out another decent album. one is a one-hit-wonder unexpectedly dropping pop aoty. in terms of achievement, much like artistic quality, there's no contest.

MANUELF

Banned
for me i put emotion in the same kind of artist wake-up call as robyn by godbyn. you can either ignore it and relegate yourself to the dustbin of poor taste or accept it into your life and be blessed.

i don't think that maybe it's quite AS good as robyn (few pop albers are), but in terms of unexpected wig snatchings it's up there.
Dont take me wrong I liked emotion, I even am one of the few who bought it but is not as good as 1989

I actually really like Starboy now, but wasn't a fan of it on the first listen.
And people love Justin Bieber now, and the songs are different although the DJ Snake song (Let Me Love You) sounds way too similar to Lean On from last year.
I like the Calvin Harris song, but yeah it's really forgettable.
I don't really agree with the Sia "Chandlier" comment. I think "The Greatest" does sound very similar to "Cheap Thrills" though.

I mean it's hard to shit on Sia, she's a great singer and she's got the pipes, but I'm honestly not feeling her recent output. It sounds like the same song rehashed again and again...Elastic Heart, Cheap Thrills, Alive, The Greatest. Just Meh.

Anyone here listening to Tegan & Sara's latest Album? Boyfriend is one of my favorite songs this year.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Heard WORK again by Fifth Harmony.

What a piece of shit. Garbage vocals, misogynist lyrics, obnoxious backing track, this has to be the worst single of the past 5 years. How are they still getting radio play? They have like 5 fans.

Fifth Harmony is the Donald Trump of music.

hXE3P6b.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
omg now I'm watching the video why am I doing this to myself

watching the short one try and pull off "sexy"

IkLRftY.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Solange - 'A Seat At The Table'
1. Rise
2. Weary
3. The Glory Is in You (Interlude)
4. Cranes in the Sky
5. Dad Was Mad (Interlude)
6. Mad f/ Lil Wayne
7. Don't You Wait
8. Tina Taught Me (Interlude)
9. Don't Touch My Hair f/ Sampha
10. This Moment
11. Where Do We Go
12. For Us By Us (Interlude)
13. F.U.B.U. f/ The Dream & BJ The Chicago Kid
14. Borderline (An Ode to Self Care) f/ Q-Tip
15. I Got so Much Magic, You Can Have It (Interlude) f/ Kelly Rowland & Nia Andrews
16. Junie
17. No Limits (Interlude)
18. Don't Wish Me Well
19. Pedestals (Interlude)
20. Scales f/ Kelela
21. The Chosen Ones

Out Sept 30.

🙏🙏🙏🙌🙌🙌🙌 God is REAL! Solange in 2016!!!

The Quality of Music this year has been amazing!

2016>>>>>>>2015 by a large landslide

If Dev Hynes is on this album 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Wait! Kelela!!!! QUEEEEEEEEN!!!! 😭 😭

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yeah, Ally's always trying too hard

CoKmMu0XYAAVQvv.jpg

Funny you should say that, because their biggest stan in here is stanning for Trump.

That and U-Turn are some of my favorite pop songs of 2016.

She looks really good and im so jealous =(

Also I think 1989 is a classic album and also one of the few that has had five very successful singles off it.

Top Bottom