• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

Million Reasons is dropping on iTunes tonight with the pre-order. It's supposedly an "uplifting song with a country vibe," and someone at the listening party said the studio version is more upbeat than that video shows. Hillary Lindsey does backup vocals though which means the country influences are guaranteed.

Just Another Day sounds like an old-school Gaga acoustic song here but she described the studio version as glam-pop and reminiscent of Bowie. So it's probably a traditional Gaga sound.

Hey Girl straight up sounds like a Florence song though which may or may not be a bop.

Knowing Gaga's herstory of releasing music that sounds nothing like her descriptions of them tho, I'm just as ignorant about Joanne as I always was.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I can't find Joanne to preorder
what is this
when did it become available

I'm actually really worried on the general sound of Joanne now...

Perfect Illusion I loved btw, but from these teasers it sounds too country/folk which I detest as a music genre

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Little Mons†er;219184328 said:

Perfect Illusion I loved btw, but from these teasers it sounds too country/folk which I detest as a music genre

I wouldn't say I'm worried but I'm not excited
I've never enjoyed her slower tracks and I don't use PI so I'm not expecting much from this project.

pretty sure its 12AM EST so in like 7.5 hours

oh ok it will be up in the morning for me then, thanks

Little Mons†er;219184328 said:

Fans who've heard the album (and Gaga herself) have repeatedly said the album is generally pop. I'm guessing Million Reasons and John Wayne are the country sounding ones if anything.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I really do think Honeymoon might be my favorite Lana album... I just love the sound, lyrics, and the way the songs flow together. #justiceforhoneymoon

Fans who've heard the album (and Gaga herself) have repeatedly said the album is generally pop. I'm guessing Million Reasons and John Wayne are the country sounding ones if anything.

I guess once I've heard the studio version of Million Reasons I'll get a better idea on the record

Hopefully it's mostly pop, not a fan of country

I'm still so intrigued though lol

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So first it was Indie, than country and now it's Pop...like what??

Little Mons†er;219191936 said:
Wait, you never heard ARTPOP? Thought everyone in this communiTEA would've heard it by now considering it's "critical acclaim"

No, I only use Applause and DWUW. I never had the time to listen or obtain the album.

I liked ArtPop but I don't know if it's because my expectations for Gaga isn't to create the next best thing.

I think a lot of what happens to artist like her is the expectation sometimes stops meeting what she can possibly give.

Sure, you can still hate the music or criticize it for what it is. But at what point do we differentiate what you want Gaga to do compared to what she wants to do?

I find this seems to be the case. I'm fine with what she puts out just as long as it's good. And I think the expectations for ArtPop didn't turn out the way most wanted and most hate it for that. Idk, just my weird observation on this situation.... But I still stand firm to my assessment of PopGAF when it comes to Gaga, yall are dormant Gaga stans whether yall like it or not. The fact that you guys drag her but are still holding out hope is funny 😂😂

You guys all secretly want her to succeed and snatch back but you can't in her current form because you all probably don't want to look like a stan. Why else would she continue to be brought up every 10th page lol! Drag me if needed 😂😂

I liked ArtPop but I don't know if it's because my expectations for Gaga isn't to create the next best thing.

I think a lot of what happens to artist like her is the expectation sometimes stops meeting what she can possibly give.

Sure, you can still hate the music or criticize it for what it is. But at what point do we differentiate what you want Gaga to do compared to what she wants to do?

I find this seems to be the case. I'm fine with what she puts out just as long as it's good. And I think the expectations for ArtPop didn't turn out the way most wanted and most hate it for that. Idk, just my weird observation on this situation.... But I still stand firm to my assessment of PopGAF when it comes to Gaga, yall are dormant Gaga stans whether yall like it or not. The fact that you guys drag her but are still holding out hope is funny 😂😂

You guys all secretly want her to succeed and snatch back but you can't in her current form because you all probably don't want to look like a stan. Why else would she continue to be brought up every 10th page lol! Drag me if needed 😂😂

no lies detected tbh

S P I L L. I T.
P
I
L
L

I
T

I mean...if she wants to do indie music then she needs to do better than P.I

and also artpop is just bad edm

like, i get that her stans think that people dont like it because it's not what they wanted...but she oversells her trying other genres and it usually just ends up being bad or a mix that doesn't work.

The Weeknd went from RnB to a pop music and he nailed and he got acclaim and commercial success...and as much as I hate to say it so did Shitlord when she went from c*untry to pop even if I don't really like 19666. Also, they went all the way with it and actually took a risk. Perfect Illusion sounds like a rock song that wants to be a pop song for her stans and be labeled an indie song for the real music stans, it's a fucking mess. You don't get that with BBTM or 1989, they went all the way with the transition into pop and even tried to make their own unique sound. Charli XCX also went into PC Music and she's doing amazing fucking things with that sound because it's not "punk mixed with pop and pc music :) art :)" it's "my take on PC Music with my vocals and my talent for hooks and catchy pop music."

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

I don't think anyone is denying that. TF and TFM were extremely good, and BTW was okay, nothing special, and Artpop was bad. She was great before she got all freaky right after TFM, and steadily went downhill since then. We all know she can create really fun dance music, but it's been 7 years since TFM and 5 years since BTW. It's okay if she wants to be artsy and different, but do it as a side project or do it after a very successful and popular album.

Meowster

I preordered the LP and digital deluxe download for Joanne.

Praying it won't be a waste of money and be a 55 on MC tea. I love Perfect Illusion.

rz4an.gif

rz69E.jpg

Very underrated album.

I think When We're Dancing Close and Slow is one of my favorite Prince songs.

If you can find it, there's concert footage from 2011 with him performing WWDCaS and I damn near bout died. It was so good. He was dueting it with some hew and she low key slayed it too. It was from the North Sea Jazz Festival. I came across it on youtube after he died. But it's been removed since then.
There is a brief pause as Prince adjusts the onstage sound, but it’s nothing like the previous night show, this time it’s just minor tweaks. The show resumes with a soft sounding introduction to When We’re Dancing Close And Slow. It’s got a lush sound with plenty of atmospheric sounds to be heard. Prince’s vocals aren’t overly strong, but they are well worth listening to as he gives a beautiful clean performance. Andy serves as a counter voice to Prince, and she trades verses with him. Again she is good, but she pales in comparison to Prince. Even when he is singing soft and slow there is a presence to his voice that Andy just doesn’t have. That’s no slight on her at all, she does a fine job, but she is no Prince. The song builds slowly, with Prince adding guitar lines and the piano playing an understated solo. It has a floating sound and feel to it, and I am impressed how Prince can create that feeling in a live situation. We float gently back to earth, before a pounding beat moves things along.

Nasser

Here's my invitation, baby
Hope it sets us free
To know each other better
Put your love all over me
Here's my invitation, baby
Come feel my energy
We give emotions to each other
Put your love all over me

anigif_enhanced-13602-1403666371-1.gif

I find this seems to be the case. I'm fine with what she puts out just as long as it's good. And I think the expectations for ArtPop didn't turn out the way most wanted and most hate it for that. Idk, just my weird observation on this situation.... But I still stand firm to my assessment of PopGAF when it comes to Gaga, yall are dormant Gaga stans whether yall like it or not. The fact that you guys drag her but are still holding out hope is funny ����

You guys all secretly want her to succeed and snatch back but you can't in her current form because you all probably don't want to look like a stan. Why else would she continue to be brought up every 10th page lol! Drag me if needed ����

Agreed.

Gaga has consistently been a wild card. Her debut album will always be her curse because what she felt like making at the time was exactly what radio needed in the late aughts. I think we've been misled to believe that her aim has been to replicate The Fame's success above all else, when it's been pretty obvious that she has been making music based purely on whatever the fuck she wants at the time. Her "muse" or whatever may very well align completely with what pop radio wants in the future, but that doesn't seem to be her criteria in the studio.

So it makes sense that people are "dormant stans" because she has consistently taken left turns, and there's always the chance her next release will be exactly what they want to hear. But it's obvious that she's not playing the pop game a la Katy Perry and her ilk.

Here's my thing with this.....Taylor was closer to Pop so its not like her music was traditional country. Imo her transition isn't hard especially when taking into consideration her vocals. The Weeknd on the other hand has nearly no expectation on the levels of Gaga who is a pop star that will always need to be compared to higher echelons of pop music to meet or achieve so it's not fair to even compare this.

It's not like the Weeknd dabble into Pop is an achievement because he was almost positioned for it as far as I'm concerned from his debut. But I do feel like theres this over bearing amount of harp on Gaga that it's either POP or nothing and if she doesn't do it well, then she a failure and I don't think that's an honest way to look at it... This is just my perspective. So I feel like her expectations coming from TF and TFM is directly linked to her pretty much over achieving and now being basically told, it's that or nothing. If she does jazz, it's not enough. If she does rock, it's not enough. If she goes indie, it's just her being ridiculous and it's for the "stans".

If people don't really care for Gaga, tbh, this wouldn't be an issue but I do think the people who are saying this do care and make it seem like they don't. For me, if Gaga makes a bad album... It is what it is...Hopefully her new one is better and it's a fresh start.

BUT to flip this back... I do think this is her fault as well... This perception. And my base for this is basically how pretentious she made her entire image so I can't exactly say that people aren't being fair by calling her out on her lack of execution. The ArtPop era was pretty much the definition of "doing too much" and she did pay for it because she hyped the release as something so supremely artistic that, shit, it's in a whole new echelon that the Grammys couldn't reach and comprehend. So I understand that aspect...

However I don't know if holding her one time striking out as some kind of higher problem with her rather than letting the music speak for itself. I think a little part of the bias being burnt out on promises from her that it makes it hard to forgive and on top of that, her stans don't make it better. But I can't blame them for wanting to enjoy what she is putting out now....

So like.. Idk. All of this is just my outside look of it and I've very rarely see this for any artist this day. It almost seems like no matter what Gaga does at this point, it will never be good enough because it's isn't what everyone wants... And it's troubling.

She's certainly marketing Joanne the opposite of her ARTPOP campaign so she definitely learned. There's no pretension this time, at least nothing coming from her mouth. She's literally performing at a dive bar tonight, lol. This is the first time she's going to allow the music to speak for itself instead of trying to get in its way, so we'll see if it can stand on its own.

Dany

Banned
She's certainly marketing Joanne the opposite of her ARTPOP campaign so she definitely learned. There's no pretension this time, at least nothing coming from her mouth. She's literally performing at a dive bar tonight, lol. This is the first time she's going to allow the music to speak for itself instead of trying to get in its way, so we'll see if it can stand on its own.

maybe it's the only venue that'll take her?

This is POPGAF so of course people care about a new release by a major popstar. Even though it's already suffered the popgaf cycle, people besides Britney's established stans were praising Glory when it came out after months and months of shitting of Corpseney. When Hitlor releases on October, most people here will take a listen and give their opinion of it to see if it can compare to 1989.

I don't understand what's so weird about people wanting to talk about what a major popstar like Gaga is going to do for her new release especially after releasing p.i which a lot of people don't like and the ones that do are victims of Stockholm Syndrome. I honestly don't even listen to Gaga that much (Last.fm says 60 scrobbles since October 2015) but I'm still interested in Joanne the Scammer because it's a new album coming soon in the pop scene.

I do agree that she's more quiet about the album this time around, so we'll see.

Aguila

#ICONIC
o at this gags live event

I don't think I'm here for this country sounding mess

Ayo sounds like an insta-delete track 😖

Million Reasons sounds like Dope 😖😖😖😖

Top Bottom