• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
RPGCrazied said:
Not buying it Day 1. Make us wait, I make you wait. I might get it in a week or 2.
rebel-without-james-dean_l.jpg

cajunator said:
I really wish we would hear something about BG&E 2. If it even still exists.
Please tell me it still exists. Hold me, I'm scared.
Last we heard, it isn't coming this gen, at the very least.

Mithos

Gold Member
I NEED SCISSORS said:
PS3 version or 360 version - which is best? Are there any subtle advantages like LPCM sound in the PS3 version?

If not i'll grab it on XBLA.
All I get out of it, no matter if I use optical-out or hdmi-out for sound.... Dolby Pro Logic 2.

SykoTech

cajunator said:
I really wish we would hear something about BG&E 2. If it even still exists.
Please tell me it still exists. Hold me, I'm scared.

It still exists. Ancel said they'll deliver even if it kills them (paraphrasing). Just don't expect to see it until the PS4 and 720 are out.

StuBurns

Banned
Finished it yesterday, I'd played it before on PS2. It's interesting, first time thru I didn't know about the volcano and I hated search for pearls before the final act, and afterwards I remember hearing about the volcano and being annoyed I missed it. The exact same thing happened with the new version. I completely forgot again.

Still, one of the best games ever made, wonderful.

Snaku

Banned
SykoTech said:
It still exists. Ancel said they'll deliver even if it kills them (paraphrasing). Just don't expect to see it until the PS4 and 720 are out.

Yeah, he said it was far too along for Ubi to cancel, but it won't be out till next gen. Then he further added that WiiU is not next gen.

krae_man

StuBurns said:
Finished it yesterday, I'd played it before on PS2. It's interesting, first time thru I didn't know about the volcano and I hated search for pearls before the final act, and afterwards I remember hearing about the volcano and being annoyed I missed it. The exact same thing happened with the new version. I completely forgot again.

Still, one of the best games ever made, wonderful.

How could you miss it? Didn't you get the pearl finder or whatever?

Teppic

Snaku said:
Yeah, he said it was far too along for Ubi to cancel, but it won't be out till next gen. Then he further added that WiiU is not next gen.
But how can it be so far along when they're developing it for systems that doesn't exists? I'm no developer but that doesn't sound right.

Snaku

Banned
Man, does the art style hold up exceptionally well all these years later or what? I just spent almost an hour admiring every nook & cranny of Jade's lighthouse and the rest of the island. Ubi Montpellier were definitely working some voodoo with those visuals.

Teppic said:
But how can it be so far along when they're developing it for systems that doesn't exists? I'm no developer but that doesn't sound right.

PC?

Just downloaded the PSN demo after looking forward to this for months; even years.

Can't flip the Y axis without flipping the X axis.

WHAT

THE

FUCK.

storl026

RedRedSuit said:
Just downloaded the PSN demo after looking forward to this for months; even years.

WHAT

THE

FUCK.

The money from the lost sales based on this oversight would've paid for a programmer to take the hour of work to enable it. Just incomprehensible.

storl026 said:
The money from the lost sales based on this oversight would've paid for a programmer to take the hour of work to enable it. Just incomprehensible.

Exactly. It's....

I don't even know how to react to this. It's like... a tiny bit of reflection during the planning of the remaster project, or even one play-testing session, would reveal the need for this fix. Even IF that failed, surely a single glance at the forum posts for the XBLA version of this game would again reveal the problem, paving the way for a simple XBLA patch and a preemptively fixed PSN version.

If there were even a small element of cost-benefit analysis to be done here, I could kind of understand this. But it's so blatantly obvious that it's just mind-boggling. I mean surely they'll lose at least 1,000 sales from this. Hell, even if it's just 100 sales, that's $1,000 right there, which is like 10 programmer-hours! They even conveniently provided a demo!

I know the above is over-dramatic, but I'm still kind of reeling.

My refund Sony.

Dat early adoption. :-(

Still worth every penny though. I would kill if Ancel made a small XBLA/PSN arcade game though for BG&E to keep us warm for BG&E2

storl026

StevePharma said:
My refund Sony.

Dat early adoption. :-(

Still worth every penny though. I would kill if Ancel made a small XBLA/PSN arcade game though for BG&E to keep us warm for BG&E2

Why do you want a refund?

StuBurns

Banned
storl026 said:
When it first came up on the Euro PSN store it was priced too high, then they corrected it and said they'd refund everyone the difference, but they haven't yet.

Mithos

Gold Member
storl026 said:
When the game was first added to the Playstation Store in Europe its asking price was €14.99, and €11.99 with the PS+ 20% off deal.
Later they corrected the price to €9.99 and €7.99 with PS+ 20% off deal.
People that payed the old price (€14.99 / €11.99) want the difference back I guess, and were told that they WOULD get it back, but they have not yet got it back.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I played it last night. Really nice port. Looks as good as ever. The camera invert or whatever the issue is, is not even an issue. I suspected some would totally overblown the issue but everyone has their own opinion.

Some people just can't play a game without an invert option. It's like making someone write with their wrong hand. How is this an overblown issue?

soldat7

Pazuzu9 said:
Some people just can't play a game without an invert option. It's like making someone write with their wrong hand. How is this an overblown issue?

Agreed. Life's too short to be bothered with poor control schemes.

Gustav

Banned
Mithos said:
When the game was first added to the Playstation Store in Europe its asking price was €14.99, and €11.99 with the PS+ 20% off deal.
Later they corrected the price to €9.99 and €7.99 with PS+ 20% off deal.
People that payed the old price (€14.99 / €11.99) want the difference back I guess, and were told that they WOULD get it back, but they have not yet got it back.

Happened to me. Very annoying.

storl026

LiquidMetal14 said:
I played it last night. Really nice port. Looks as good as ever. The camera invert or whatever the issue is, is not even an issue. I suspected some would totally overblown the issue but everyone has their own opinion.

Going by people's word in this thread and others, that issue has lost the game interest and sales for quite a few people. I'm glad you don't fall into that camp, but don't dismiss it as a non-issue because of it.

SykoTech

I can understand why someone might not but it because of lack of control options. I didn't buy ModNation Racers because I dislike driving with R2 on PS3 and there were no custom controls, and most games that force waggle and other forms of unwanted motion controls on me end up as bargain bin purchases. Thankfully, camera options aren't one of the things that bother me.

Just got to the part where
Jade loses Pey'j and teams up with Double H
. Game's really good so far. Thank goodness Ubisoft didn't botch this like they did PoP. My only complaint is the dodge move is pretty crappy during fights. Everything else is great.

Mollymauk

RedRedSuit said:

WHAT

THE

FUCK.
Yup. Glaring flaw. I played through the game despite this issue, and really struggled at times. After finishing the game I had a period of readjustment going back to invert-y.

Sigh.

Played the demo today. Even better than I remember it. Never finished the original on Xbox, and now after completing the demo I wonder why I didn't, back in 2004. Damned PSN wallet is about $5 shy of buying it, so I'll have to wait until I have spare cash for a PSN card.

Perhaps, but that's no excuse for not including a expected option. And even if they had included it, the camera still sucks. I'm the biggest BG&E fan but the camera is awful. It even changes to a really frustrating mode when you are in a stealth section and during hover boat sequences in the slaughterhouse section. And it never auto centres when on foot, meaning you have to either keeping hitting the manual centre or constantly adjust the camera.

I remember it being like this on PC, but it wasn't a big deal due to the vastly superior mouse control. But I've asked twice in this thread without response... was it like this on the original console versions? No auto centering and no proper invert?

garath

As someone who plays with Inverted Y, it is FAR easier to get used to an inverted X than an inverted Y. Just think of it as moving the camera around the character. Where I never seem to grasp normal Y axis, I can grasp an inverted X axis fairly quickly.

Pazuzu9 said:
But I've asked twice in this thread without response... was it like this on the original console versions? No auto centering and no proper invert?

I've seen this answered in a few places:

- no proper invert;

- supposedly did indeed have auto-centering.

garath said:
As someone who plays with Inverted Y, it is FAR easier to get used to an inverted X than an inverted Y. Just think of it as moving the camera around the character. Where I never seem to grasp normal Y axis, I can grasp an inverted X axis fairly quickly.

Yeah, I had some success with that when really focusing on it, but it still messes me up a lot of the time.

Man....

The Frankman said:
So how do I do this thing? Bought the game and I see it says Demo and Unlock Key... so start the demo then goto Purchase?

Once you start the demo it should start the full game and when you back to XMB it wont say demo anymore.

Square Triangle said:
Once you start the demo it should start the full game and when you back to XMB it wont say demo anymore.
Ah. Have the game on PS2 but never finished it, stopped playing years ago when I heard early rumors of a "PS3 version".

I'M BACK, AND I'M COMING FOR YOUR K-BUPS AND STARKOS!

SykoTech

Completed the Slaughterhouse. Some great on foot stuff, but the hoverboat parts were a kind of a headache. Anyways, retrieved the star key and accessed the new area in the plaza. That was probably the best part of the game so far.

This is my first time playing this game and I am really enjoying it.

Only a few hours in and just done some stuff in the factory.

The soundtrack in AMAZING. Maybe the graphics would have impressed me back in the day but the music is really the stand out part of the game so far.

krae_man

Played through the whole game in like 2 days. Game is as fun as ever. Fell through the geometry once and lost about 45 minutes of progress which then ment I had to save every single god damn mdisk machine just in case it happened again. Not very fun.

This time I kept all the PA-1's to myself and found out HH and Pey'j can actually die.

Started playing yesterday for the first time in years and its just as great as I remember. The non inverted camera controls took a little while to get used to but I managed.

FINISHED.

fuck that final boss.

I think I get why this game had such a hard time being marketed.

Its the name.

"Beyond good and evil" doesn't really fit. I cant think of anything I would change it to but if the do make a BG&E 2 I hope they make Beyond good and evil the sub title and have some other catchy name the marketers and do there thing with.

Was fun. As someone who never played the game before the HD re release I am now totally on board with a sequel.

DonMigs85

funkystudent said:
FINISHED.

fuck that final boss.

I think I get why this game had such a hard time being marketed.

Its the name.

"Beyond good and evil" doesn't really fit. I cant think of anything I would change it to but if the do make a BG&E 2 I hope they make Beyond good and evil the sub title and have some other catchy name the marketers and do there thing with.

Was fun. As someone who never played the game before the HD re release I am now totally on board with a sequel.
I agree. The name probably turned off some parents too.

Vexidus

I love Beyond Good & Evil, and I would consider it one of my favourite games of all time. I played through it 3 or 4 times on the PS2, and enjoyed it every single time. There is so much goodness to soak up in the world.

With that said, I was prepared to buy the PSN version to experience it all over again, UNTIL I played the demo. The lack of look inversion without X being affected, ruined it for me. It must not have bothered me back when the game first came out, but this is a serious issue these days. Y inverted and X normal is the way I have been playing for this entire generation, and any game lacking the option to customize it that way, won`t be purchased by me.

If this gets patched, I promise to buy it, as I would like to support the chances of the sequel making it to stores. Lots of sales have clearly been lost because of this inexcusable oversight, and I hope it gets fixed.

Top Bottom