• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

TheOddOne

ULTROS! said:
Think of it this way. What if PSN gets Beyond Good and Evil HD first on the PSN and it won't be out on XBLA after a month for a special promotion, won't you get annoyed?
No, why would I get annoyed? There are tons of games to play.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's annoying for 360-less people basically, but it happens more often than I'd like.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think I'm going to wait for a sale on the PSN version at this point. My window of interest will be a lot smaller by May. I was hyped until the PS3 delay or whatever the reason they decided to hold the PS3 back.

Still waiting on an inverse patch ... unfortunately I was so excited about it that I already bought the game.

Seriously, no inverse?

Ah well, it's only $10 I guess.

LQX

Unregistered007 said:
Demo equals full game?
Secondly they are going to release the game at the same time at retail. LOG PHAILUS.
Doesn't matter. Right now PSN has the demo to much bigger game that many are looking forward to and it is not available to XBLA users. A exclusive is a exclusive and you sure as hell know it was bought so stop the bitching about bought exclusives when both companies do it.

SykoTech

Telling people "well, everybody else is doing it" is not a good argument to stop them from complaining about exclusive stuff, timed or otherwise. I don't see the big deal about the PSN version coming later myself, but people who are bothered are right to feel so.

May works for me. Backlog says I have other things to do anyway.

Spasm

flyinpiranha said:
Still waiting on an inverse patch ... unfortunately I was so excited about it that I already bought the game.

Seriously, no inverse?

Ah well, it's only $10 I guess.
Every time I see this thread bump, I get excited thinking it's about a patch. :(

I need some help. I am going back and taking shots of the animals i missed earlier in the game. I am missing 2 animals on the 4th floor of the factory. But i can not get up to the 4th floor anymore? What am i missing?

Esiquio

Can anyone tell me how this remake has been selling? I couldn't find it on any of the gaming chart sites. I just want to know that it's selling well, I'm dying for BG&E 2 already!

Mohonky

ULTROS! said:
Think of it this way: what if PSN gets Beyond Good and Evil HD first and it won't be out on XBLA after a month for a special promotion, won't you get annoyed?

As opposed to the HD Remakes appearing on the PS3 that aren't coming to the Xbox at all?

Also: BGE & Prince of Persia were timed exclusive on PS2 in PAL territories.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Got this a couple days ago and just got 100% yesterday, what a great game. The setting is great, the stealth sections are just right in that balance between tedious and easy, the side quests (Francis's pellet game, Species photos, the search for extra pearls) are awesome, there is nothing in the game I didn't like. Can't wait for BG&E2.

Judderman said:
Got this a couple days ago and just got 100% yesterday, what a great game. The setting is great, the stealth sections are just right in that balance between tedious and easy, the side quests (Francis's pellet game, Species photos, the search for extra pearls) are awesome, there is nothing in the game I didn't like. Can't wait for BG&E2.

I feel like there is too much stealthy stuff and too many industrial settings (factory & slaughterhouse), I much prefer the start of the game at the lighthouse and then black isle. I'm only at the slaughterhouse now though so I don't know if the games changes later on and goes back to natural settings.

Just beat the game, what a shitty last boss battle, it uses the cheapest trick in the book and if I ever meet the one responsible I'll cut the fucker's throat.

burgerdog

PumpkinPie said:
Just beat the game, what a shitty last boss battle, it uses the cheapest trick in the book and if I ever meet the one responsible I'll cut the fucker's throat.

Really? Pathetic.

AniHawk

PumpkinPie said:

the last battle was great. the only unfortunate thing about it is how few developers have applied that high level of thinking to their own story-games.

Dez

Why do people expect a patch for the camera inverting? The camera controls exactly like it does in halo, uncharted, gears, etc. It's now the standard for camera control since nintendo abandoned manual camera control with the wii.

neclas

Dez said:
Why do people expect a patch for the camera inverting? The camera controls exactly like it does in halo, uncharted, gears, etc.
I haven't played uncharted or gears, but it can't possibly control like it does in halo. Halo is first-person, where as this is third-person. A lot of us feel that we are controlling the camera movement around the character in a third-person game, not controlling which way to look. This is due to the fact that the character doesn't also look in the direction the camera is pointed. So, this control scheme basically just messes with our perception of physics.

epmode

Dez said:
Why do people expect a patch for the camera inverting? The camera controls exactly like it does in halo, uncharted, gears, etc. It's now the standard for camera control since nintendo abandoned manual camera control with the wii.
Because it's inconsistent with itself. There is currently no way to have a vertically inverted, horizontally normal 1st person view along with a vertically inverted, horizontally normal first person view.

For example: say you get used to the vertically inverted, horizontally inverted 3rd person view. The instant you switch to 1st person, the horizontal controls are back to normal while vertical is still inverted. Brain hurts.

Finally got around to purchasing it.

I've beaten (and loved) it before, but seeing it in HD with surround sound is just surreal. It looks and sounds magnificent. It just looks so damn clean which really works well with the art-style.

And easily one of the best soundtracks of last gen. I love the piano pieces that fade in and out in certain areas, like the lighthouse.

Put 3 hours in and had to force myself to stop.

Zeal

Banned
The visuals in this are so crisp and vivid. I don't care how long I gotta wait, its gonna be a happy day when the sequel finally arrives.

NZNova

Finished it over the weekend, just as good as I remember it. The camera still sucks though. I found it most annoying during the hovercraft sections.

Just picked this up with some extra MSPoints I had lying around. Never played the original, oh my god how did I miss this game. I started playing just the demo to see how it was and I couldn't stop, I just bought it right there and then so I could keep playing. I'm already to the Factory, not sure how far I am in the game but put me in the corner of "I can't wait for a sequel to this game." This game is scratching a gaming itch I didn't even know I had.

At certain points you get a whole slew of pearls all at once which is conveniently enough to afford the next thing. Everything at Mammago's you'll get as you progress.

Bernbaum said:
You kidding? There's a bunch of crap in the Mammago store I'm nowhere close enough to affording just yet.

Each dungeon basically counts as a third of the game. After each dungeon you get pearl donations which pretty much sets you up for the next one, though there are plenty of side-quests if you need more (and BGE has good side-quests that are actually rewarding).

It's a pretty short game, but if you want to get most of the pearls and animals, it'll take around 15 hours. I've never really felt it should be much longer though, better to be on the short side and avoid the fate that Okami suffered.

elwes

Agyar said:
Fired this up tonight and was disappointed by how unweildly the inverted controls are. I played this on PC when it was released and don't remember it frustrating me this much (and I inverted the mouse back then too).

Realistically, what the chances of Ubisoft patching this to include a more standard inversion setting?

I had the same issue with the inverted controls, but you get used to them. I'm all about Y inversion and keeping X the same and it really pissed me off that they wouldn't let you do that.

I'm nearing the end of the game and while I've enjoyed my time with it, it frustrates the hell out of me. I'm not one of those people that hates stealth, but the camera and controls make me never want to play a stealth mission in any game ever again. It also bugs me that I can't dive roll off of ledges. :mad: The game definitely has me interested in a sequel, though. I can't help but imagine how awesome this game would be with updated everything.

It's the aesthetics that make this game. The colorful world and lovely art style make this world relaxing to explore, for example it's nice watching the sunset rise from a riverbank in the Hillys.

I was a bit disappointed after reading people compare it to Zelda, it's too lite on content to reach that level. I still recommend it.

RPGCrazied

This is coming out the first week of May right? I know we are at the mercy of Sony and bringing PSN back up, but just making sure.

Jasoco

Banned
Finally got my Xbox back from my brother so I could play Portal 2 and decided it was time to catch up on the missed gems I missed.

Game is as good as I remember. But the hovercraft does seem shittier to control than I remember on the GameCube. Though it was so long ago and I don't even remember anything from the second half of the game after the Nutripils Factory. (Except that scene. You know the one.)

Am going for as much as I can collect this time.

Oneself

So I've finally been able to try the demo of this HD remastered version... tired of waiting for the US PS3 release, I logged on my friend's Euro account and got the demo. This was one of my most anticipated HD remake... one of my favorite games ever.

And well, my congratulations go to all the bacon breaths who worked on that port; it felt meh and weird. !?!?!
I was wondering why... everything felt so claustrophobic. The controls weren't as great as I remembered. I thought maybe it wasn't "true widescreen" and it was just zoomed in or something.
So I replayed the same part on PS2 and well.. they screwed up the camera system terribly in this HD remake. The camera is now a static piece of shit, constantly zoomed in even when running.. yuk!
I'm kinda pissed off, if it ain't broken don't fix it. It just ruins the game for me. Fuck it, I'm not buying that thing. I'll play the PS2 version again instead.

Edit: yeah and you can't invert x&y axis separately on PS3 too, why? We're in 2011 ...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Did this not hit U.S. PSN yet?
Do we have a date?
Random Googling gets me the pre-outage May-sometime or the post-outage and apparently EU (only?) June 8 date...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mejilan said:
Did this not hit U.S. PSN yet?
Do we have a date?
Random Googling gets me the pre-outage May-sometime or the post-outage and apparently EU (only?) June 8 date...
No date and not even a hint at a date for NA.

Top Bottom