• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I've seen guys in their twenties with the same outfit, so age had nothing to do with it really - all though, guys and girls between 20-35 are the ones rocking serious kits while the older ones don't bother as much with it.

You can debate their enthusiasm; is it all for show - can they even last a four hour ride? Maybe, maybe not. But when you're wearing Nike's I'm pretty sure that you have no idea how things "work" so to speak.

I rode across NY in crocs. :)

thomaser

No, nothing there that would affect it. Chances are that the cable wasn't tightened enough (the bolt) and it slipped a bit. That or you got some extremely sudden cable stretch... but that seems unlikely.

Took it to the bike-shop today, and the gear was fine. Seems like the chain is starting to show its age, but I don't want to put on a new chain the day before a race. It moves up to the big chainring eventually if I pedal slowly and lightly, so I'll just try to be careful tomorrow. Most of the course needs to be on lower gears anyway.

t-ramp

Picked up my first 29er (hardtail) today to replace my 5yr old trek 4300. Took it for a test ride and loved it. Ended up getting a Trek X Caliber 5. Can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow morning. Will post some pics tomorrow.
Nice. I just bought a X-Caliber 6 - been wanting a nice mountain bike as well as my 1.1 for a while now. They didn't have the X-Caliber 5 at the store, and nothing else really seemed like a better choice.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Nice. I just bought a X-Caliber 6 - been wanting a nice mountain bike as well as my 1.1 for a while now. They didn't have the X-Caliber 5 at the store, and nothing else really seemed like a better choice.

I would have got the 6, they had one in my size as well but I liked the paint scheme on the 5 (matte gunmetal grey w/ blue and dark grey lettering). Only downside is that I need to upgrade the breaks, because the ones on the 5 are garbage. People at the Trek store said they will hook me up since I've bought 3 bikes and bunch of shit from them.

Morning ride was so much fun, I love this bike. And holy hell does it pick up speed quick. It handled the trails with ease. Large roots, down trees, rocks, this bike did it all well. I was actually also surprised with the climbing capability. The stock tires and front shock are also a lot better than I thought they would be. I'll post some pics I took later today.

Spookie

So GAF I'm finally getting back in to my riding properly after a... 18 Year break. :p

I use to cycle loads as a kid then picked up skating, then found out about the pub at 17. But now I'm a tubby fucker and need to get out of the house for more reasons than work and the pub. I got a Raleigh Misceo 2.0 due to my history with their bikes about 2 months ago. Now I've replaced the tyres to something which gives a bit more bite in the local parks I ride around. While that's had a HUGE impact on to my ride times (chopped 15 mins off my usual hour route.

Which got me thinking, if tyres are having that big of an impact. What else should I upgrade to improve things? I'm already looking at shoes and pedals. I've already ordered a new saddle and grips due to my hands going numb from the bumps and my arse being completely dead. Is there anything else which can make my life easier or make me go faster? :D

Any help would be appreciated folks!

thomaser

Is there anything else which can make my life easier or make me go faster? :D

A water bottle so you can hydrate, and a bike jersey with back pockets so you can bring energy bars and gels and other snacks. Will definitely make you go faster on longer trips :)

So GAF I'm finally getting back in to my riding properly after a... 18 Year break. :p

I use to cycle loads as a kid then picked up skating, then found out about the pub at 17. But now I'm a tubby fucker and need to get out of the house for more reasons than work and the pub. I got a Raleigh Misceo 2.0 due to my history with their bikes about 2 months ago. Now I've replaced the tyres to something which gives a bit more bite in the local parks I ride around. While that's had a HUGE impact on to my ride times (chopped 15 mins off my usual hour route.

Which got me thinking, if tyres are having that big of an impact. What else should I upgrade to improve things? I'm already looking at shoes and pedals. I've already ordered a new saddle and grips due to my hands going numb from the bumps and my arse being completely dead. Is there anything else which can make my life easier or make me go faster? :D

Any help would be appreciated folks!

Going faster won't make you thinner;)

Oh, crocs > spd?

Clipless pedals do very little to increase the efficiency of the vast majority of riders.

Grant Peterson (who has designed bikes for longer than most people in this thread have been alive) wrote a great piece about it.

http://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=45

I tested this idea myself by comparing my weekend circuit results from four weeks with and without clipless pedals. At the time I was running a bike shop and riding every day in clipless pedals. I didn't notice any time or energy savings, and actually enjoyed the ride more without clipless pedals.

Of course, as with everything in cycling, it is a "to each their own" matter. I love clipless pedals in MTB biking as it keeps your feet from slipping, but I personally see very little value in them for road riding.

A water bottle so you can hydrate, and a bike jersey with back pockets so you can bring energy bars and gels and other snacks. Will definitely make you go faster on longer trips :)

...yeah, skip the energy gels, try something that doesn't suck, like shot bloks or flapjack. :)

Ecto311

Anyone have experience with the Bell Kingpin tires? My trek has 26x1.95 tires and I am looking to get some decent one for dirt under $30 a tire. These seem like a good one from the reviews. Not sure if they will fit my rims well or wonky since its a one size fits most type tire. Guess its a rebrand of a different brand.

Also anyone like the stans no tube stuff? Or is that just asking for problems and a waste?

Heres some pics of the bike before and after the paint job. That paint stripper spray is no joke it fuckin burns your hands and skin almost instantly.

8uAjAiDl.jpg

oT9KoJKl.jpg

gNWYdtTl.jpg

prMr0PCl.jpg

No pics of the middle phase where it was black auto paint and clear coat that looked more like spooge than clear coat. Plasti dip did really well and its not coming off even after a gentle power wash.

I'm heading out to Ocala FL in about an hour and tomorrow I'm going to ride Santos trails. I'm really nervous since there is a lot of difficult features. Luckily I'm good at walking things I'm not comfortable with.

Apparently some well known indoor bike park owner sold his venture to Trek and purchased Santos and is building it up to a great trail.

vr0wYRC.jpg

omqpiwI.jpg

D:

I've started doing a lot of mountain biking the last months time, after never enjoying "normal" cycling that much, at least not over long distances. It's great fun even if I am uncareful and constantly get hurt.

It's not actually my bike, but someone told me just to keep it until I'm moving abroad for an internship early next year. I no nothing about the cycles themselves or brands, but been told it's fairly good for it.

Spookie

Yeah I'm in desperate need of a water bottle at the moment, I'm grabbing one ASAP.

Yeah but it does keep me motivated to keep going though. Nothing more boring than doing flats the entire time. :p

waypoetic

Banned
Oh man, the Specialized Daily Deluxe 2... I need that bike. I need a commute/grocery shopping/cruise-bike and this might be the one:

92714-2002_01.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Yes it does. I've been measuring my weight loss vs average speed. Constant heart rate at 20mph is burning more fat for me. I had to start eating more recently. But after years of being about 210pounds and being a fat sack of shit, three months of cycling and pull ups have an almost beach acceptable torso. 161 pounds and holding.

Heretic

Yes it does. I've been measuring my weight loss vs average speed. Constant heart rate at 20mph is burning more fat for me. I had to start eating more recently. But after years of being about 210pounds and being a fat sack of shit, three months of cycling and pull ups have an almost beach acceptable torso. 161 pounds and holding.

*bites lip*

Mascot

Congrats with the fitness drive, but holy shit, fifty pounds in three months? Is that a healthy rate of weight loss? My metabolism would be all over the place like a mad woman's piss if I did that.

Mascot

I love you, dude. That is all.

There used to know a mad keen GT-obsessed mountain biker called Smoky on GAF. Used to post here all the time back in 1994 before suddenly disappearing in a puff of talcum powder.

You aren't related to him are you?
Welcome back, dude. Stay a while. Stay... FOREVER muwahahahah...

Congrats with the fitness drive, but holy shit, fifty pounds in three months? Is that a healthy rate of weight loss? My metabolism would be all over the place like a mad woman's piss if I did that.

No, it's not. But as long as he tapers it off at some point, it need not have a massive backlash when he tries to maintain a new weight. If not, pretty much guaranteed to start gaining weight within a year.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I have a fast metabolism. I didn't do anything unhealthy, but I lose weight precipitously in the rare periods I lose weight.

SmokyDave

There used to know a mad keen GT-obsessed mountain biker called Smoky on GAF. Used to post here all the time back in 1994 before suddenly disappearing in a puff of talcum powder.

You aren't related to him are you?
Welcome back, dude. Stay a while. Stay... FOREVER muwahahahah...
I'm too ashamed to show my face as the bikes have had all of three shakedown runs this year. The little 'un has decimated my free time.

I do lurk and admire from afar though :)

thomaser

14961367275_7649845299_z.jpg

Photo from my first race :) Too bad I wasn't on the bike when they took it, but at least I didn't fall into the mud like so many others.

Lots of fun, with around 200 people. 46 kilometers, mostly on gravel but also lots of forest and mud and some asphalt. I came in 20 minutes under my previous best time, and set new PRs on all the Strava segments around the course. So I'm very satisfied! I passed lots of people during the first half which was mostly uphill, but was overtaken during the second where it went down again. Need more meat on my bones, I think, and maybe faster tires.

Mascot

I'm too ashamed to show my face as the bikes have had all of three shakedown runs this year. The little 'un has decimated my free time.

I do lurk and admire from afar though :)

So long as we know you are there.

14961367275_7649845299_z.jpg

Photo from my first race :) Too bad I wasn't on the bike when they took it, but at least I didn't fall into the mud like so many others.

Did you manage to catch the dude who stole your cargo shorts?

;)

thomaser

Did you manage to catch the dude who stole your cargo shorts? ;)

Heh, this is Fancyland, and skin-tight lycra is a must! I seriously don't think any of the riders wore something else. Not even in the kid's race.

We even have a local cycling team whose motto is to "ride stylishly". They have a rule against wearing black. But they're road cyclists.

So, how do you get rid of front chatter under braking? I replaced my pads this morning and I got some awful chatter at low speed during my ride, I've checked the headset and fork, brakes set and toed correctly, they're the same Campagnolo inserts, but it was chattering like crazy. Are the pads buggered? :(

Leanage

untitled-1mujvj.jpg

Jobiensis

Garmin was registering 108F while we were staging for yesterday's race. I'm sure it wasn't quite that hot and the Garmin was just over-inflating the temp because of direct sunlight, but kit that is 90% black sucks in the summer.

thomaser

Planned to enter another mtb-race this Sunday, but it was just cancelled because of too few contestants. Bummer :-( They've arranged it 12 years in a row. Maybe it's the timing - everybody's gearing up for the Birkebeiner next week, the largest mtb-race anywhere. I'm not going now, but definitely next year.

BUT, I went up here this evening.

14806089119_35903d3446_z.jpg

Ecto311

Anyone familiar with ghost shifting? Finally got my bike going and went out with my daughter on a tag a long to my bike. Went fine till we started to get aggressive on a hill or slight incline. When I would put a lot of pressure on the pedals it would shift on me either up or down causing me to be all over the place. Here is some pics of the derailleur since google tells me it could be bent or some other issue here.

ZwU3pKHl.jpg

N5nsCHdl.jpg

0kEEsM5l.jpg

Sea8PtVl.jpg

Found that they are fairly cheap on amazon to replace but if I can just loosen/tighten tweak it id rather just fix it so I can ride more now.

Top Bottom