• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Jasup

To be honest, he was one of the worst bicycle thiefs ever. Tried to force a lock open for ages out in the open,and when he noticed me carried the bike a few meters into the small woods. I could still clearly see the trees shaking and hear him trying to open the lock.

Even as the police came all I had to do was point them to the right direction. And they just politely asked the guy to come with them and he did. He was completely defeated by then.

Had a bit of a laugh at the situation with the police afterwards.

kottila

Am I the only one who keeps looking at expensive bikes every single week dreaming of buying one, although deep down I know that mine is mote than adequate for my level. Luckily there is so much going on in bike tech, that I've decided to wait to see what happens with disc brakes etc, but a cervelo r5/cannondale synapse di2 is extremely tempting.

Edit: the weather's amazing and I have a fever, so I'm stuck with the internet and watching tv

Mascot

Am I the only one who keeps looking at expensive bikes every single week dreaming of buying one, although deep down I know that mine is mote than adequate for my level. Luckily there is so much going on in bike tech, that I've decided to wait to see what happens with disc brakes etc, but a cervelo r5/cannondale synapse di2 is extremely tempting.
Yeah, n+1 and all that. It is tempting but I keep telling myself that I can only ride one bike at a time and the one I've got serves me well.

I keep hearing explosions coming from the direction of the castle so will go and investigate later during my afternoon ride. There were armed police stationed under the Second Severn Crossing when I rode by yesterday (NATO summit up the road this week) so the bangs must be making them twitchy. Must be a battle reenactment or something.

It's off topic, but the whole Nato thing is really getting on my tits. Cops everywhere and loads of road closures / changes. Can't wait til it's gone.

As for bikes... I don't know. Whilst I could buy more, I just don't. I still don't feel like I'm good enough to fully push the envelopes of what I have. Anything else would just be a skill compensator.

Autumn is coming, so I had a bit of a shopping spree. Got bike lights, reflector bands and some clothing that was for cheap. Now I'm pretty much set until it gets really cold, at which point I need a jacket and some thick gloves.

But the lights. Why are rear light setups so shitty? Most in the store had only clip ons for bikes with rear racks, which obviously doesn't work for a mountain bike. The only acceptable light I found had a reusable cable tie system (with a plastic screw!), which immediately broke so I have to use a regular cable tie. God dammit.

thomaser

Had a great trip today! 152 kilometers, 2007 height meters. Over a mountain twice, from both sides, with a friend. Then the other half calmly by myself. My legs were so good that I could have gone on for a long time, but it started to get late and I was hungry.

15073613166_ae89612e78_z.jpg

Pause by the fjord after the first trip over the mountain.

14910066467_fbeb193fa7_z.jpg

Coming down again on the other side. Still snow in the mountains.

14909923749_0656154f64_z.jpg

Pausing for coffee and biscuits at an amazing little hotel. The mountain pass I went over goes behind all the mountains seen over the fjord.

No, I look at those full carbon road bikes on aliexpress all the time :(

I want one of those Chinarello Dogma bikes but ordering from China worries me with the amount of money at stake and quality. Are the genuine Pinarello frames and forks manufactured in China? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

kottila

No, I look at those full carbon road bikes on aliexpress all the time :(

I want one of those Chinarello Dogma bikes but ordering from China worries me with the amount of money at stake and quality. Are the genuine Pinarello frames and forks manufactured in China? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Aren't all carbon frames made in china? Dosen't mean that they have the same quality (or warranty) though. Pinarello are way too overpriced anyway

Mascot

So, I found out what all the noise was coming from the castle the other day. Not sure why cannons were going off during a medieval reenactment - maybe they had some cannonballs that were getting near their use-by date? Anyway, it was very surreal to find myself cycling through some scene from Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

eeaKGOD_OWu6NJdyPcDaTPMcqAUfTiUjcGBnAkeeeKg=w958-h392-no

Major right shin pain the last two days. I suppose the remedy is rest? Doesn't hurt to point downwards but pointing foot up is aggravating.

So, I found out what all the noise was coming from the castle the other day. Not sure why cannons were going off during a medieval reenactment - maybe they had some cannonballs that were getting near their use-by date? Anyway, it was very surreal to find myself cycling through some scene from Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

eeaKGOD_OWu6NJdyPcDaTPMcqAUfTiUjcGBnAkeeeKg=w958-h392-no

That's rad. All I get is wet forest and scientific cow dung. Did you bring coconuts?

Edit: the weather's amazing and I have a fever, so I'm stuck with the internet and watching tv
I was at a high-end bike shop last weekend and couldn't stop drooling while checking out the Pinarello Dogma F8, Colnago C60, and Santa Cruz Nomad 3 builds, all with top of the line electronic drivetrains (on the road bikes) and high-end carbon wheels.

Bikes I'll never have, but can't stop looking at them. =(

kottila

I was at a high-end bike shop last weekend and couldn't stop drooling while checking out the Pinarello Dogma F8, Colnago C60, and Santa Cruz Nomad 3 builds, all with top of the line electronic drivetrains (on the road bikes) and high-end carbon wheels.

Bikes I'll never have, but can't stop looking at them. =(

The difference between the high high end and the middle/high end is £4k and all you save is a few hundred grams. I'd rather just have a medium range bike (at ~3-4k max). i'm not sure why I bother being modest with my dream bike when I'm not going to buy it anyway.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My front disc brakes are squeaking, my rear brake cable is way too loose and I have no idea how to adjust anything properly.

HELP ME GAF.

thomaser

Someone has built a new downhill course near here. Here's a video. Looks awesome! Maybe a little too rough for me now. Could a beginner who's a little bit afraid of steep drops go down there with a hardtail? I dunno... but I hope to get there one day. This is the same mountain I cycled over yesterday, on the road by the gondola station at the end of the video.

Get'sMad

Trying to get better at bike maintenance.... for as much and as long as I've ridden I have an embarrassingly low knowledge on how to fix shit. Sick of paying so much $$ for tune ups.

I'm pretty much only good for changing my tubes and re-taping my handlebars.

Picked up Zinn & and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance...need to get some tools and stuff next though.

Mascot

Someone has built a new downhill course near here. Here's a video. Looks awesome! Maybe a little too rough for me now. Could a beginner who's a little bit afraid of steep drops go down there with a hardtail? I dunno... but I hope to get there one day. This is the same mountain I cycled over yesterday, on the road by the gondola station at the end of the video.
Reminds me of a MTB holiday I had about 25 years ago in Canada, catching cable cars to the tops of mountains and biking down the ski runs. Terrific fun. You have to give it a go if it's nearby. Scenery looks incredible too.

The difference between the high high end and the middle/high end is £4k and all you save is a few hundred grams. I'd rather just have a medium range bike (at ~3-4k max). i'm not sure why I bother being modest with my dream bike when I'm not going to buy it anyway.
I totally hear ya...I ride a mid/high-end road bike myself with a Cannondale SuperSix Evo mid-mod carbon frame with an Ultegra Di2 groupset and it's way more than enough bike for me. I upgraded the wheelset to Dura Ace C24 clinchers though, it definitely helps climbing hills a little bit easier. =)

Reminds me of a MTB holiday I had about 25 years ago in Canada, catching cable cars to the tops of mountains and biking down the ski runs. Terrific fun. You have to give it a go if it's nearby. Scenery looks incredible too.

Whistler?

I'd say that's borderline for a hardtail. I'd give it a blast, but I have a fair bit of experience.

Trying to get better at bike maintenance.... for as much and as long as I've ridden I have an embarrassingly low knowledge on how to fix shit. Sick of paying so much $$ for tune ups.

I'm pretty much only good for changing my tubes and re-taping my handlebars.

Picked up Zinn & and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance...need to get some tools and stuff next though.

Same here. What's worse is that I have Zinn's great book and I still know jack all when it comes to maintenance. I think part of the problem is that there's always the nagging thought in my head when fixing anything that I'll break something irrevocably. It's stupid considering how many times I've ended up on my ass and the bike is fine, but there you go.

thomaser

That sounds fun! I want to become good at horizontal paths before tackling the vertical ones, though. But I might go up there to have a look. There's a restaurant at the top. It's less than an hour from me by car, including a short ferry ride.

Psychotext said:
I'd say that's borderline for a hardtail. I'd give it a blast, but I have a fair bit of experience.

They're still working on it, and want to make the worst parts more manageable. I could try to go down slowly, but that seems impossible anyway.

But I will probably participate in an mtb-ride there next week. It starts at the fjord (where I took the selfie), climbs up to the gondola (5 kms and 8%, should stretch out the field nicely), then over a forested hill (3:28 in the video) and into and around the valley seen at 1:12 in the video. I'm scheduled to work then, but hope to get the day off.

Watevaman

shit, I don't think I would even attempt that. my brakes would be warped to hell and back by the time I got to the bottom.

I've never been on a nice full suspension but it looked like he wasn't having problems controlling the bike.

Get off work, dress up in your bike gear, go to bike, find out faulty valve has emptied the tire. Have no spares, bike shops closed. Hrrrrrrg.

The bike's only a week old too...

Now a multitool was one thing the sales person did sell me!

What surprises me is how much I'm jonesing to ride already. I better get those winter tires early if this is how it's going to be (and the lunatic part of me says NO, just get a fatbike for winter riding!).

In my experience, rest definitely helps. Also try ice, compression, and elevation (R.I.C.E.).

Thanks! Ice and elevation seem to be helping, as do my work socks....

Get off work, dress up in your bike gear, go to bike, find out faulty valve has emptied the tire. Have no spares, bike shops closed. Hrrrrrrg.

The bike's only a week old too...

I hate that. I've gone out a few times after cleaning my bike only to get to my location, unload the bike, pack the foods into my jersey, only to find I've left the front wheel skewer at home. FML.

And anyone watching the Vuelta? Today was the TT stage and Nairo Quintana, then the race leader by 3 seconds over Contador, had an awful crash into the guardrail. Somehow he gets back on the bike to finish the TT but lost over 3 minutes. Contador was most likely going to be in the Red jersey even if Quintana hadn't crashed, but this means that Valverde will most likely be the protected rider. I guess we'll find out what's what in the real mountains. And Froome had a very subpar TT, which is not something you see all that often. He hasn't looked good the past two stages at all.

Video of crash:
http://www.steephill.tv/players/you...hboard=vuelta-a-espana&id=jI8iOqgIy5I&yr=2014

A few years ago I "ghetto" converted some standard OEM rims, and it all went pretty well until I peeled a front tire off at speed. Not a fun way to go down. It actually happen to me a second time before I said enough is enough, and bought some Stan's ZTR rims. Running tubeless has been nearly perfect ever since.

The north east US is pinch flat central (rocky/rooty), and not having to deal with that is a God send. Although I still carry a tube just in case.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, I'm in Southwest US and seems like goathead thorns here are basically nature's spike strips. Even my wife lost a tube to one and her tires have fucking kevlar lining. My stock Bontragers don't stand a chance.

I know loads of people running ghetto tubeless, and it mostly works for them. I don't think I'd do it without Tubeless Ready tyres and rims though.

Yeah, I'm in Southwest US and seems like goathead thorns here are basically nature's spike strips. Even my wife lost a tube to one and her tires have fucking kevlar lining. My stock Bontragers don't stand a chance.

yeah, there's some hazardous roads out here. but forgetting the fact that they invite punctures like flies to blue lights, are the fact that many roads are made from chipseal, which means lots of vibrations and constantly having to put down power. Really hate that shit!

Takes five minutes to change a tube - are tubeless really that good?

I hate changing the tube of the rear wheel of my dutch bike, and it always seems to be the rear wheel, never the easy to change front wheel.
But thanks to my Schwalbe Marathon Plus wheels I haven't had a flat tire in months. :D

Mascot

That's rad. All I get is wet forest and scientific cow dung. Did you bring coconuts?

dounecastleAAAAAA.jpg

(very late reply - sorry!)

Far too nice to do any work yesterday so I went bimbling instead. Got to grab days like these when they come along at this time of year. I always feel like I'm on borrowed time bike-wise as soon as September hits. Anyway, some leanage:

Gw3Dnzh7ugreNdwSofHIAiF_dnxBiGSbAqBtc28_RVo=w957-h475-no

And an action shot. This was taken looking backwards as I was flipped off my bike going over a huge jump. Managed to catch the bike in mid-air and if you look carefully you can see my dislodged helmet spinning away. After two somersaults I landed perfectly on my feet. It was no big deal.

MZgCfhd1Mqmq8Txt6omYa1u4B5cgxZ0r_yHveu_y_zc=w812-h609-no

(hangage)

Jasup

I hate changing the tube of the rear wheel of my dutch bike, and it always seems to be the rear wheel, never the easy to change front wheel.
But thanks to my Schwalbe Marathon Plus wheels I haven't had a flat tire in months. :D

Puncture resistant tires are great. I haven't had a flat tire for a year, my front tire's been punctureless for two. I think luck has something to do with it too though.

Also, pictures. Because a bike can go to places a car can't:
02092014784fts3z.jpg

Found the remains of a house deep in the woods. I had my bicycle rack on and a basket with me as I was mushrooming.

The catch:
020920147879fs6a.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Takes five minutes to change a tube - are tubeless really that good?

You sound like one of those cheery psychopaths who tells you it's "fun" to put on snow chains in a blizzard on the side of a freeway.

But I am genuinely curious, why isn't there some wundersubstance or nanotubes or whatever that eliminates the need for pneumatics, period?

Jobiensis

Did a labor day ride about 140 miles with 7800ft of climbing. Not exactly a lot of climbing, but a real change of pace from interval work. Had a massive carne asada burrito at the halfway point, which was a bit of a mistake in judgement.

Disclaimer: Road bikes
When I start having lots of flats, it means it is time for new tires. I think you have to be crazy or stupid to trust tubeless with a normal rim, if you peel it off in a corner you will go down. If you want to run lower pressures on a road bike, lose weight or use tubulars (I've also seen people go down with these when they didn't glue them right). You can also just run sealant in tubes. I've seen many times the sealant doesn't work, which means you need a spare tube anyway, and good luck getting a tubeless tire off a tubeless rim on the side of the road. Would expect mountain bikers to carry extra spares anyway, because you can't even make a call of shame out in the woods/desert/mountains. I carry two to three spare tubes in my jersey pockets, a lot of the back roads I ride have very bad cell reception, and you don't want to wait an hour in 100F degrees for a ride back home.

Edit: Stinkles, you would think there would be something, I imagine being able to remove and replace the tire, and just plain old it is the way it was always done. I would expect the technology to hit cars first.

Tube change complete, here's proof in the form of a scientific cow, a bike and a whole bunch of vicious barnacle geese. I also found a cool place to practice downhill turns, but didn't stop to take a pic because there was a maintenance dude doing something in a nearby public bomb shelter.

sDZQMU6.jpg

kt12p7q.jpg

Top Bottom