• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I still use my Lidl bike shorts, they're ace and only 10€ a pop! They look horrible, not really presentable at all, but they're really comfy as mtb liner shorts.

I do have some obscenely expensive Castelli bibs that were mistakenly half price at the local sports superstore, but it's not compatible with even a small beer gut.

If you're in the US check out Twin Six or OrNot for really high quality, but affordable, stuff. I've been using TwinSix bibs for the last two years and they've been making my bum quite happy.

I wish to own a Rapha jersey someday. =(

I haven't worn or touched one, but I don't see much of a reason to get one of their jerseys. The stuff you can find at the companies I mention above is pretty damn good and they're pretty durable. Rapha's best stuff is their merino base layer stuff (shirts, socks) which is reasonably priced. They do sales often, but every time I've seen one it's been for stuff out of my size.

Laekon

I've seen a lot of mention of smartwool stuff in the bikepacking sites I've been visiting. I've never heard of it before.

There a smaller US brand known more for socks then anything. Also more general outdoors stuff and not cycling specific. They are based out of Steamboat Colorado which is an amazing place to go mtn biking. There is a similar NZ brand called Icebreaker but I'm not sure if there well known in Europe yet either.

People put Rapha on such a high standing when they are more a marketing company then anything else. Hell look at one of the founders 2nd company, Tracksmith, and it's a carbon copy of Rapha for running. There is not doubt they have nice products but they are priced a lot higher then they should be. All the team sky clothing comes from Nalini/MOA who makes most of the pro fields clothing. Castelli or Extendo are higher quality and more innovative.

http://internationale.teamjva.com/

Gray Matter

ywI444Z.jpg

Finally got it! Rode it 3 1/2 miles home... In the rain. Couldn't feel my fucking fingers when I got home.

Can't wait until the weather gets better so I can start riding.

Also, I'm way more rusty than I thought. That 3 miles were killer.

Mascot

Finally got it! Rode it 3 1/2 miles home... In the rain. Couldn't feel my fucking fingers when I got home.

Can't wait until the weather gets better so I can start riding.

Also, I'm way more rusty than I thought. That 3 miles were killer.
Congrats - nice bike! Consider yourself bitten by the bug.

Gray Matter

As someone who didn't really exercise at all before cycling, the pain was quite exquisite. And is.

I know the feeling, I remember during the first few weeks that I started running track the pain was addictive. Sounds weird, but it got to point where if I didn't have the soreness after running 5-8 miles I would feel strange. It also made me feel better, like I accomplished something by running that long without stopping. It was definitely fulfilling.

HTupolev

Can someone please explain what a cycling computer is and what it does?
Little devices that connect to your bike, typically with an interface on the handlebars.

What exactly it does depends on the complexity of the model, but the idea is gathering and displaying data about your travel and cycling. They provide some mix of functions involving things like speedometer, heart rate, cadence, power, and route tracking. Some models are effectively full-featured GPS units including being able to load a route and showing navigation data as you ride. (It's not unheard of for people to mount their phones rather than getting a dedicated navigational bike computer.)

The functionality varies over a substantial range, with the lower-end ones being nothing more than speedometer+odometer.

davidnic

Can someone please explain what a cycling computer is and what it does?

Cycling computer is specific device that sits on your stem or handlebars to tell you Heart Rate, Speed, Cadence. Those are the basics, But most cycling computer from Garmin or other brands these days tell those above and heaps more such as Power (if you have a power meter), GPS, Maps,Navigation.

Also you get average out of your computer for HR, Speed, Cadence and Power.

Mascot

I know the feeling, I remember during the first few weeks that I started running track the pain was addictive. Sounds weird, but it got to point where if I didn't have the soreness after running 5-8 miles I would feel strange. It also made me feel better, like I accomplished something by running that long without stopping. It was definitely fulfilling.

I can relate to that. If I don't get home with scratched arms and legs after a day in the forest I feel I haven't been trying hard enough. Ditto if I can make it up the stairs without burning thighs.

Edit:
ref bike computer: whatever you get, get wireless.

Mascot

Unless it uses thousands of small, expensive batteries. (Technology may have improved in recent years)

I think it has. CR2032 or CR2025 lithium button batteries seem to be the norm now. My last pair (one in the sender, one in the receiver) lasted over two years and I think I got a sheet of twelve Panasonic ones for less than £3 delivered. That's using a mid-range Cateye wireless computer.

Edit: like these, but cheaper elsewhere.

Gray Matter

Cycling computer is specific device that sits on your stem or handlebars to tell you Heart Rate, Speed, Cadence. Those are the basics, But most cycling computer from Garmin or other brands these days tell those above and heaps more such as Power (if you have a power meter), GPS, Maps,Navigation.

Also you get average out of your computer for HR, Speed, Cadence and Power.

What are some relatively inexpensive choices?

Mascot

What are some relatively inexpensive choices?

My Cateye does a good basic job, and has performed flawlessly. Cost me around £30 I think. But there are LOADS of choices out there. You could get one for a third of that that functions identically.

So: knee guards. Who uses them? Thinking of getting a set.

Gray Matter

My Cateye does a good basic job, and has performed flawlessly. Cost me around £30 I think. But there are LOADS of choices out there. You could get one for a third of that that functions identically.

So: knee guards. Who uses them? Thinking of getting a set.

Could you link me to the one you have? I just want something simple enough to record the mileage.

t-ramp

Could you link me to the one you have? I just want something simple enough to record the mileage.
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, Strava is pretty awesome for tracking mileage, plus mapping your route and comparing your times to other cyclists. The only thing I feel like I'm sort of missing is an instant speedometer.

Gray Matter

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, Strava is pretty awesome for tracking mileage, plus mapping your route and comparing your times to other cyclists. The only thing I feel like I'm sort of missing is an instant speedometer.

I think I'm gonna try this first and then decide if a cycle computer is worth it for me.

I can relate to that. If I don't get home with scratched arms and legs after a day in the forest I feel I haven't been trying hard enough. Ditto if I can make it up the stairs without burning thighs.

Edit:
ref bike computer: whatever you get, get wireless.

Wireless is great until you stop over one of those sensors for traffic lights and you are suddenly 'moving' at 65 mph. Happened to me on my Seattle to Portland ride last year so I had no idea what my max/average speed was.

Unless I truly was doing 65 down that hill...

Mascot

Wireless is great until you stop over one of those sensors for traffic lights and you are suddenly 'moving' at 65 mph. Happened to me on my Seattle to Portland ride last year so I had no idea what my max/average speed was.

Unless I truly was doing 65 down that hill...

Ha ha..! Never had that, but then again, I avoid roads. No rogue electronics in the woods..!

This works fine, but for me I don't want my phone mounted to my handle bars. You can find cheap garmins or refurbished Wahoos often if you want something on the higher end of the spectrum.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Hey guys.

I'm gonna need something that I'll be riding a few times a week on a 2ish hour ride each way through a pretty steep/bumpy dirt path following by a dirt road.

All I know is that it's gotta be tough and easy to maintain, since parts/professional help will be very limited where I'll be. I leave priorities beyond that up to you, who all know much more than I. I haven't owned a bike for almost 20 years.

It also needs to be available in Europe.

Cost is of everyone's concern, but it's important enough that I won't mind spending a rational amount for quality.

Fuck this northeast weather. Can't even ride 2 miles without my fingers freezing.

It's still mid to low 30s in the morning here and I've been ok if layered properly. I have an indoor trainer, but I'm trying to transition to reserving that just for rain days. I've been inside since November and just can't do it anymore. Which sucks because using TrainerRoad has been really great, I'm just mentally shot from the indoor stuff.

Mascot

Fifth consecutive daily ride this evening. Only averaging around 22 miles but the legs seem to be returning slowly. The forest trails are in tip-top nick right now in this beautiful Spring heatwave - mostly dry but with patches of sticky mud to fuck around in.

Lovely!

HTupolev

Gloves are good. On top of warming they prevent road rash, a benefit that can't be over emphasised.
A glove can also just plain give you a comfier rest on the handlebars over a lengthy ride. Unless maybe if you're only ever going to ride a few miles at a time, you should have gloves of some kind.

Fuck this northeast weather. Can't even ride 2 miles without my fingers freezing.

wind-blocking gloves are amazing.

I came into a mtn bike frame recently and I'm debating building it up into a CX bike or something. The only thing keeping me from it is that I could probably buy a CX bike for less than it would cost to build this thing up. It doesn't even have a fork, to give you an idea of how much I'd have to buy. Groupset alone would set me back $300 at least.

Gray Matter

wind-blocking gloves are amazing.

I came into a mtn bike frame recently and I'm debating building it up into a CX bike or something. The only thing keeping me from it is that I could probably buy a CX bike for less than it would cost to build this thing up. It doesn't even have a fork, to give you an idea of how much I'd have to buy. Groupset alone would set me back $300 at least.

As a new member of the cycling community, I have no idea what you just said lol.

He acquired a burly mountain bike frame on its own (ie. just the big lump of metal) and wants to put curly wurly handlebars on it, but is discouraged because bike components are hella expensive when bought separately.

edit: like this but more hipster https://vimeo.com/89689947

Hey guys.

I'm gonna need something that I'll be riding a few times a week on a 2ish hour ride each way through a pretty steep/bumpy dirt path following by a dirt road.

All I know is that it's gotta be tough and easy to maintain, since parts/professional help will be very limited where I'll be. I leave priorities beyond that up to you, who all know much more than I. I haven't owned a bike for almost 20 years.

It also needs to be available in Europe.

Cost is of everyone's concern, but it's important enough that I won't mind spending a rational amount for quality.

LkUfuGIl.jpg

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/seek.1/18737/76134/

This should fit the bill. An internal 8 speed hub means you don't have to worry about derailleurs etc, The 700c tires and geometry should be pretty efficient if you put some small knobbies on there.

Gray Matter

A coworker saw my new shiny bike (shameless bragging) today and asked how much I payed, when I told him how now much his jaw dropped. He then proceeded to ask me if I got it at toys-r-us, I lol'ed at that comment.

Spookie

Bike GAF I require your sage like knowledge. I'm going to get a new bike through my works Cycle to Work scheme and they are fairly rigid about what I can pick.

Edit: It appears you can view the bikes available here

I'm probably going to do 60% riding on the road and 40% on gravel trails and muddy hills. Does anyone know which one I should go with, which would be the most suitable for me? :s

They have an allowance up to £1k, but ideally I'd like to spend about £500-750. Can anyone help? D:

Mascot

I'm probably going to do 60% riding on the road and 40% on gravel trails and muddy hills. Does anyone know which one I should go with, which would be the most suitable for me? :s

Can't see the bike choices anywhere, but those two words mean mountain bike.

Don't let Savile-GAF sell you a Jimmy and day-glo lycra.

Spookie

Can't see the bike choices anywhere, but those two words mean mountain bike.

Don't let Savile-GAF sell you a Jimmy and day-glo lycra.

Ha, I wouldn't wear lycra. My arse would look like something out of a Nikki Minaj video.

When I said muddy hills I mean going through a poorly maintained park where all the gravel has erroded away. It's safer than using the roads around here! I've managed to link the bikes above.

At £850 they offer the Trek X-Caliber 9 which is my bike for any and all conditions, so I'll go ahead and recommend that! That price is pre-discount btw.

But they also seem to have Cannondale and Specialized, both of which are very high quality brands.

edit: although you could go cyclocross, the road bike made for muddy parks. Both of the options seem ok.

Humblebrag - there's no one in front of me to draft on. The other side of that though is that as I get further and further away from downtown Portland, there are fewer and fewer cyclists. Once I hit the state line I'm by myself for the rest of the way home. And I ride to work early enough in the morning that there's hardly anyone on the road anyway.

I'm not fast by any stretch (I average between 14 and 15 mph), I'm just not worried about getting hot and sweaty like the people commuting in their work clothes are. I can change/shower at work so I can commute in separate clothing.

Top Bottom