• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Just looking at some of my gopro footage from the last couple of days. Weather was ridiculous... I mean does this sky look like Wales in April to you? :D

untitled6nu4u.png

Laekon

Etiquette question: When commuting, do you guys draft on strangers?
Its normally bad form to do it without asking. Personally I don't trust people to keep a steady pace and not grab their brakes to hard. Some times there is no difference between the average driver and cyclist.

XenoRaven

Weather's finally been good enough to start riding to work. I love it! So happy I got a bike. I had considered a road bike because there's a bike trail that runs from my apartment to my office, but I'm glad I got a hybrid. There are some parts of the bike trail that are pretty rough.

I do have a bit of an issue though. I get a rattling sound in higher (lower?) gears. Whatever the gears are that make it pedal harder. Bike still seems to go fine, but I try to not shift into those gears. It sucks because it kind of limits how fast I can go when I get a decent downhill slope.

t-ramp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D87ECUQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1428640253&sr=1-1&dpPl=1&dpID=51icXFv4y2L&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Anyone have experience with one of these. Thinking of getting one to put all my things whenever I go riding.
This is the one I picked up at my local shop a while back: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GPE7V52/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works okay, although it's kind of tricky to wake up my phone through the cover. The touchscreen works fine once I've managed to press the home button, though.

I've thought about picking up another bag that would go under my seat for a bit more room for an emergency kit, but haven't got around to doing so yet.

Mascot

I'm pink even after covering myself in P20.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, that's Afan, Blue Scar.

Looks open. How am I supposed to crash into a tree there?

I found a video of my backyard trails, this is all under a kilometre from my house. One day I'm gonna participate in one of these races.

https://vimeo.com/79048325

Parts of that look remarkable similar to my local woods, but with 100% more lycra.

senahorse

Went to 10 (well some of them I called) bike shops today, not one had a Superfly 8, and Trek Australia is completely out of stock with no ETA. So after a bit of hunting around I decided to check the second hand market for alternatives, and lo and behold in the suburb right beside mine there was someone selling this beauty:

newbike%20-%20Copy_zps2sqwk1gn.jpg~original

It's a Giant XTC Composite 29er 1. Carbon frame, Fox evo forks, XT/XLS components. The bike is in amazing condition, and has evidently not been ridden much, there are a couple of small scratches here and there but it looks pretty much brand new. I picked it up for $1800 (Australian) and am very happy with the purchase, can't wait to give it a good ride on some of the local tracks :)

Mascot

Went to 10 (well some of them I called) bike shops today, not one had a Superfly 8, and Trek Australia is completely out of stock with no ETA. So after a bit of hunting around I decided to check the second hand market for alternatives, and lo and behold in the suburb right beside mine there was someone selling this beauty:

newbike%20-%20Copy_zps2sqwk1gn.jpg~original

It's a Giant XTC Composite 29er 1. Carbon frame, Fox evo forks, XT/XLS components. The bike is in amazing condition, and has evidently not been ridden much, there are a couple of small scratches here and there but it looks pretty much brand new. I picked it up for $1800 (Australian) and am very happy with the purchase, can't wait to give it a good ride on some of the local tracks :)

Very nice..!
Where in Aus are you? What are the local trails like?

senahorse

Very nice..!
Where in Aus are you? What are the local trails like?

I am in Brisbane (south-east Queensland), there is loads of bush and forest close by, here's some of the available tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kcPqmA760

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98V0p4NJtLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzoLMGn9t4

I regularly go dirt bike riding up some of the mountains and always come "no motorbikes, only mountain bike" type signs, will be interesting to go down some of them. Though wtih a hardtail I will probably just go on the beginner/intermediate ones. If I get right into it I will probably get a dually.

Looks open. How am I supposed to crash into a tree there?

There are a number of points where you can fall down the side of a very steep hill if you like. But yeah, it's an odd trail. It's part of one of the original classic Welsh trails that had to be closed due to needing to fell basically the entire forest due to disease.

t-ramp

Yeah, that place looks awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=31&v=bywQ7lwdD04

I've never really done any jumping, though, but I'm sure I'd get the hang of it pretty quick. I've thought about building a couple dirt jumps or a little track out at my parents' farm, but it would probably be a lot more work than it's worth.

I think a friend of mine has a GT BMX bike I should see if I can borrow sometime. Assuming he left it in Iowa when he moved out east, that is.

Yeah, that place looks awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=31&v=bywQ7lwdD04

I've never really done any jumping, though, but I'm sure I'd get the hang of it pretty quick. I've thought about building a couple dirt jumps or a little track out at my parents' farm, but it would probably be a lot more work than it's worth.

I think a friend of mine has a GT BMX bike I should see if I can borrow sometime. Assuming he left it in Iowa when he moved out east, that is.

I don't think you need to "jump" them to even enjoy it. I used to snowboard on the cross trails and it was just a lot of fun popping up onto the deck.

amnesiac

Hey y'all. Looking to buy a new bike (~$700) but I'm torn between getting a mountain or a hybrid bike.

I like to ride on sideways of my city a lot, but I also like to ride on trails...

Mascot

Was just looking at footage of the skills area at Coed Y Brenin. It looks excellent, I have no idea why I haven't given it a blast yet as I'd like a slightly safer re-introduction to black grade stuff as I haven't had a chance to get back into it since I started mountain biking again.

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centres/coed_y_brenin/y_ffowndri/y_ffowndri.aspx (Check the trail card)

Go for it, PT.

In other news, my frikkin' ankle has swollen up overnight and hurts like a bastard when loaded in certain positions. It's ust about OK to walk on if I avoid any twisting or rotation. I seriously hope I haven't ruptured any ligamants again. It literally took years to recover from the last injury. Same ankle, same side. There's none of the telltale squelchy 'popping' sound that I had last time around so I'm hopeful it's only a strain. I'll keep it on ice today and see how it goes.

Had a weird premonition of it happening seconds before it did. One of those self-fulfilling prophecies, maybe. I probably talked myself into it.

BAH and DOUBLE BAH!

At least it's raining today so I won't be staring longingly out of the window.

Oh, and I had a fucking puncture yesterday as well.

TRIPLE BAH!

Edit: now it's clear blue skies and sunshine. QUADZILLA BAH!

Mascot

So what was it, a bad landing, or a half crash?

An off-line landing which made my left foot hit a small tree stump, twisting the ankle joint. Might have been OK if it was my right foot but there's an inherent weakness in the left ankle from an old ligament injury.

thomaser

Participated in a celebrity bike event today. A ride with the 2010 world champion Thor Hushovd. Over 400 people of all ages rode through the narrow streets in my town, and since we have no bike lanes, we mostly rode on busy roads and held up traffic for an hour. Good fun! There was a raffle at the end, with a chance to win a trip to Tour de France and other goodies. Didn't win anything, but got food.

It is so beautiful in the NYC metro area this weekend. Got in 25 today and going for another 40-50 tomorrow. I've been missing these kind of weekends a lot.

I successfully defeated a slight hangover by cycling first thing in the morning. Really enjoying the effortless speed of a good jimmy. Also read a non-bike tech magazine article about road bikes. It started out saying that you don't need the fanciest kit, then in the conclusion any sub-105 groupset was considered useless.

Gray Matter

GAF I did it! Went for my first official ride today and it was awesome. First, it was an impromptu ride because I had just left work and said fuck it I'll go for a ride. Anyway, I leave work and get an avenue that leads to a nearby university, I pass that and reach the other university near the previous one, and I keep going. Then I took a detour and did a big circle around the avenue I was on. I get back on it and I keep going, at this point I have no idea where I am, I had never gone that deep on this avenue, but I keep going anyway. Eventually I hit another main road and get it, but I go the opposite way of where I live by mistake. Again, by this point I'm completely lost, so I stop and look at my phone and see where I can go from there and bam my phones dies. Luckily I figured out my way back home. When my phone died i was a ~9.6 miles. I must have ridden at least 15 miles today.

It was so much fun, the weather is going to be better tomorrow and I'm going to do it again, this time I'll make sure my phones doesn't die and show you guys the route I took.

Awesome, you got stuck in right away it seems!

Are you going to be riding on pavement mostly? Because then you can at some point put proper slicks on the bike and have a revelation.

Gray Matter

Awesome, you got stuck in right away it seems!

Are you going to be riding on pavement mostly? Because then you can at some point put proper slicks on the bike and have a revelation.

For right now I am, I saw a lot that I haven't seen before just riding aimlessly, it was great.

There was talk of it here a while ago, cycling really changes your perception of the local area. Soon you'll be wanting to visit the next town over.

t-ramp

There was talk of it here a while ago, cycling really changes your perception of the local area. Soon you'll be wanting to visit the next town over.
One day last fall I decided I wanted to check out a crushed limestone trail that goes through a few small towns nearby. Ended up going like 50 miles, which really, really sucked near the end. Then, that night, I ended up back in one of those towns for a football game. It was kind of neat, like "Hey, I was just here earlier, just with a lot more effort involved to get here."

I've also been trying to figure out how I could bike to work, which is in the next town over (about 12 miles or so) - unfortunately, it's connected primarily by a 4-lane separated highway with 65 mph traffic, so obviously not bike friendly. I also work until after dark usually, so it's not entirely practical anyway most days. I think I may try to take some gravel roads on my mountain bike some Friday since we get off earlier then, though. Should be interesting.

Washed my bike. It was really really dirty before I swear
Kind of reminds me of the grey Trek CrossRip LTD I've been longingly looking at online for a while. Looks nice.

Top Bottom