• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

I tried wearing long legged lycra with mtb shorts on top the other day. It was nice.

"I'm not a transvestite! I just like wearing my wife's underwear!"

Surprisingly my legs feel just fine from yesterday's ride.

Wait until tomorrow. That's when you might feel it.

Talking of pain, I think the ice packs might have saved my ankle. Swelling is down and discomfort is minimal. I think I might be OK for a gentle jump-free bimble by tomorrow. Gonna do an hour on the cross trainer tonight and see how it goes.

Gray Matter

"I'm not a transvestite! I just like wearing my wife's underwear!"

Wait until tomorrow. That's when you might feel it.

Talking of pain, I think the ice packs might have saved my ankle. Swelling is down and discomfort is minimal. I think I might be OK for a gentle jump-free bimble by tomorrow. Gonna do an hour on the cross trainer tonight and see how it goes.

Still feeling good now. I'm surprised that I'm not sore, I'm sure I will be later today when I go for my repeat ride.

I have to admit I don't get particularly sore after rides, just tired and a bit stiff if I forget to stretch properly. On the flipside it can take up to an hour to warm up on some days, and everything just keeps feeling slow and sluggish.

edit: also, wore semi-lycra in the form of trying out Lidl running trousers for cycling. They worked out ok, but putting your keys and multitool into the back pocket makes the trousers fall down.

edit2: the downhill thing was quite entertaining, although the xtreme sports award goes to the jimmys at Paris-Roubaix for dodging bullet trains.

Gray Matter

I did it GAF. There were 2 small hills that I couldn't do yesterday but today I fought through it and got to the top. I love this route. Might have to do it every weekend.

EaMDwPW.jpg

GzlE1ol.jpg

Edit: went for a cool down ride and ended up doing another 6 miles for a total of 21 today and around 19 yesterday.

Cycling is fun, very fun.

Aiustis

Anyone want to give me advice on getting a new bike?

I've got an Concord that's more of my leisure riding bike since I've put so much work into it. It makes a great road bike, but it's kind of irreplaceable and I'm too hard a rider to want to use it for commuting anymore.

I've got a 2 year old Fuji that's nice, but I don't think it's the kind of bike I need.

I need a bike with the following criteria:
-good for less than optimal roads
-good for all weather
-good for heavy loads (e.g. grocery shopping)
-good for hilly commutes.
-not too light
-no more than 800 USD.

t-ramp

I did it GAF. There were 2 small hills that I couldn't do yesterday but today I fought through it and got to the top. I love this route. Might have to do it every weekend.

Edit: went for a cool down ride and ended up doing another 6 miles for a total of 21 today and around 19 yesterday.

Cycling is fun, very fun.
Did you join the BikeGAF Strava group?

On that note, I'm adding a few segments around the area to Strava. Then I just have to wait for the results to populate...

ameratsu

I can't help feeling that you should have some purple detailing on your bottle cage.

Yeah I agree. Same with the red accent on my seatpost and stem. The bottle cage is a knock off that I paid $5, so no complaints as far as lack of colour matching goes.

That's a beautiful bike.

Thanks!

Kind of reminds me of the grey Trek CrossRip LTD I've been longingly looking at online for a while. Looks nice.

Looked it up, it looks super similar. Same kind of bike and same price point new.

Anyone have tips on selling a more expensive bike via craigslist/kijiji? I have a Giant TCR-1 (this) that i'm looking to sell because I barely ride it. I noticed that the modern TCR-1 has gotten a component downgrade and now comes with Tiagra, though maybe this is equivalent to 105-5700, not totally sure.

It currently has GP4000 tires, which I plan to swap out for cheaper tires so I can use the GP4000s on another bike. What should I be asking? I paid <$1200 new, thinking about asking 950 and taking 900. Condition is very good.

Thoughts?

Tried to do 40 yesterday but I ran into a run and had to redirect. I choose poorly and ended up with 35 miles instead. Almost immediately after took my son out on his inaugural ride on his new CX bike for 10 miles. We averaged 10 mph, though I attribute that to his hesitation and lack of shifting skills. I kept telling him to shift 'up' meaning up the cassette and he thought I meant up as in the way his gripshifters work and was going down instead.

2011_Redline_Conquest_24_Cyclocross_Bike_99161.jpg

(it's not exactly that as the brakes are different but it's close enough)

I'm sure that by the time he has to do the 30 mile course in May he'll be fine. He just needs to get used to not being able to see what 'number' the chain is on.

And then I had to mow the grass with a lawnmower that had the power assist go out, so lots of pushing.

Secondary question about that CX bike: I read some people talking about Sora shifters melting in heat. That sounds rediculous to me though.

thomaser

Did something today that I have never done before: bought a broom and swept out all the sand and pine needles and dried-up leaves and old cobwebs in my garage. There was about 20 years of dust and dirt because I've been a slob who never even thought about cleaning in there. The tires on my bikes have become dirtier the instant I roll them into the garage than they have become on long rides. No more dirty tires. Clean garage, cleaner bikes. Now YOU do it too! Let's All Sweep Our Garages!

Mascot

Just got back from a cheeky little 20-miler on nice smooth cycle paths and roads, testing out the wonky ankle.

My God, you cheating Jimmies! Even on the mountain bike I didn't even break sweat. No wonder Saviles can go for 125 miles on lightweight bikes shod in pencil-thin slicks and wearing aerodynamic lycra. I kept looking down to check I wasn't riding a motorbike!

:p

(the ankle passed, btw)

At least we can all agree that mean people suck, right?

Local LBS attacked

Twice!

Just yesterday I was grumbling that it's borderline insane to be closed on Sunday and Monday (I really need a new chain) and then I saw this on their Facebook.

Speaking of chains, it's criminal that a new one is $45, and that price is set because everyone's moved on to 10- and 11-speed systems. Ugh.

Yeah, cycling is expensive, I know. Still doesn't sit right.

Gray Matter

I cannot wait until I quit my night job so I can go riding at least once during the week. I fell in love with my new bike over the weekend, I gotta show it some love.

I need to drop my bike off soon for a once over. I know I definitely need a new chain and I'm sure new brakes are likely in order for the front.

Haters be damned, lycra is amazing.

t-ramp

I cannot wait until I quit my night job so I can go riding at least once during the week. I fell in love with my new bike over the weekend, I gotta show it some love.
Are you also a student or otherwise occupied in the morning? I'm working second shift too but plan on going riding in the morning once nice weather sets in for good. Im actually thinking about going to a nearby mountain bike trail tomorrow before work, but we'll see if I go through with it.

Gray Matter

Are you also a student or otherwise occupied in the morning? I'm working second shift too but plan on going riding in the morning once nice weather sets in for good. Im actually thinking about going to a nearby mountain bike trail tomorrow before work, but we'll see if I go through with it.

I started a new job in the morning and now I'm going to leave my night job because, well, I no longer need it. This will be my last week.

HTupolev

Speaking of chains, it's criminal that a new one is $45, and that price is set because everyone's moved on to 10- and 11-speed systems. Ugh.

Don't the high costs only apply to the fancy new components?

When I had my road bike fixed up a few months ago (it had been sitting in my grandfather's shed since long before I was born), we put on a KMC x8.93 suitable for 6/7/8-speed; it was something like $10 and seems to be a well-reviewed part.

$45 is a bargain...the new chain I got for my road bike a few months ago cost me like $65+ installed at my LBS.

DURA-ACE UPGRADE, YO.

Don't the high costs only apply to the fancy new components?

When I had my road bike fixed up a few months ago (it had been sitting in my grandfather's shed since long before I was born), we put on a KMC x8.93 suitable for 6/7/8-speed; it was something like $10 and seems to be a well-reviewed part.

You'd think so but this is a 9-speed group that's at least a decade old. Probably because it's Ultegra though.

I've gone out on days with 30+ mph gusts. It's ok if it's short, but doing it for anything over 2 hours is just not worth it to me. Not only will you just completely wear yourself out there is a huge safety factor that comes from it. Anything up 20mph gusts I don't mind and as much as it sucks I view it as a beneficial thing. What I'll typically do is plan my route around the way the wind is blowing and make riding into it the first part of the ride. If it's a cross wind then I'll just accept I'll be dealing with it the whole ride.

Payday, so I finally got decent shorts in the form of TLD Ruckus. They were way too expensive but come with liner so I guess it's ok. Also got a lot of dirt cheap lycra from Lidl. Hell yeah.

edit: as far as wind goes, lately commuting to work has been strong headwind both ways. Makes me feel like Eddy Merckx when there's a sudden lull.

Mascot

I live on the coast I'm use to it. It's great fun when it's behind you on the way back! :D

I live on the coast too, and the wind dropped when the tide turned. Managed to squeeze in 23 miles in the forest before the Madrid derby. Beers well earned.

Payday, so I finally got decent shorts in the form of TLD Ruckus. They were way too expensive but come with liner so I guess it's ok. Also got a lot of dirt cheap lycra from Lidl. Hell yeah.

edit: as far as wind goes, lately commuting to work has been strong headwind both ways. Makes me feel like Eddy Merckx when there's a sudden lull.

Nice shorts! What design did you go for?

Looking at the pic you could easily be stealing the lamb!

But seriously, that's an awesome view! As someone who lives in a flat, forested land that is quite exotic.

It's ok, the guy doing it is a Northerner, he made me stay far away. ;)

But seriously, that's an awesome view! As someone who lives in a flat, forested land that is quite exotic.

I did a timelapse of three parts of my ride. When I work out a decent way of encoding it / changing the speed, I'll upload it.

There was talk of it here a while ago, cycling really changes your perception of the local area. Soon you'll be wanting to visit the next town over.

I've learned so much about my area through biking. Short cuts, road names, alternate routes.

It's crazy. I've lived here my whole life and started biking a lot maybe like 8 or so months ago and really changed how I saw my area. I learned about so many little nooks and crannies that I had no idea existed before.

Hmm, looks like I'm going to Paphos, Cyprus in late May / early June. Probably should look into some mountain biking there. Going to die of heat stroke though.

Top Bottom