• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I think the battery of knee / hamstring exercises I did earlier helped when on the trainer tonight. Still had pain, but nothing like as bad as yesterday.

t-ramp

Is the Flybys feature on Strava new? I've been checking it after each ride since noticing the button on the website last week, hoping that I might pass someone I've noticed on the segment leaderboards before. I did give a random kudos to some guy I passed twice today though.

Also, I'm at 5 days in a row of 20 mile or more rides - nice to have a bit of a habit going, although the weather has been phenomenal, so I'd feel bad if I didn't go out.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So from what I can see here in Athens options aren't exactly endless as far as finding particular models as were recommended a bit ago.

I'll be riding a dirt road up and downhill and a very steep and rough section that goes to the main, fairly smooth dirt road here in the Cyclades. The total ride is probably 2-2.5 hours each way and I'll likely be taking it a time or two a week. I'd wager 45 minutes or so will be the rough section and the remained the fairly smooth section, slight longer/shorter depending on which way I'm riding.

If I go shopping what particulars should any potential bikes have?

Keep in mind I know little about bikes. I ride a Citibike back home in NYC but I'm barely a guppy in this pond called bicycling.

Any and all assistance is deeply appreciated.

Also what is a must for an always on me emergency repair kit?

senahorse

First test of the Rflkt+ is positive, tested with a cheap phone in saddlebag, Blue SC cadence/speed sensor and Tickr X connected via BTLE and running the Wahoo Fitness app. The app works surprisingly well and all of the data (including GPS from the phone) was recorded perfectly. The Rflkt is a great compact little unit and seems to be able to be customized in a variety of configurations. The main screen I had on showed speed, cadence and heart rate. I have the Tickr setup so I can double tap it and it pauses/resumes the workout. The app gives nice audio updates (speed, cadence, heart rate, time) which you can set to timed or distance intervals.

I also tested the Tickr on the spinbike as well, which surprisingly outputs the cadence without a cadence sensor, it actually seemed pretty accurate as well. Hope to give it all a much more thorough test when this rain lets up.

Also what is a must for an always on me emergency repair kit?

Quote from another page.

Yup, if I was his housemate I'd have told him that it was tough shit. The only reason I'd help someone out is if they'd had a frame fail, run out of tubes / patches or snapped a derailleur etc.

At the absolute minimum you should be carrying a spare tube and a pump. Better still, a spare tube, a pump and some emergency patches.

In my case, for any meaningful ride...

Tube
Patches
Pump / CO2
Tyre Boot
Duct Tape
Powerlocks
Spare Hanger
Multitool
Zip Ties
First Aid Kit

On epics I add a spoke key, some spare bolts and a spare gear cable to that. For really, really long rides I also carry spare pads.

On the other question. Define rough. It may be that a CX bike is perfect for you, fast, but you'll certainly feel it on the really rough stuff.

HTupolev

IMO a basic kit for sane riding is:
-Spare tube
-Patch kit
-Tire levers
-Pump

To proceed beyond that, add a multi-tool. Beyond that, another tube.

Beyond that, refer to Psychotext's list.

2SeeKU

I'm not sure if it makes a difference between road or off road, but l don't even bother with the patches when going off road, just throw 2 tubes in your bag, some tyre levers and a pump.

It might just be me, but the patches always result in a slow leak.

But l also carry a multitool, some zip ties, roll of adhesive cloth tape and most importantly, a mobile phone.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Quote from another page.

On the other question. Define rough. It may be that a CX bike is perfect for you, fast, but you'll certainly feel it on the really rough stuff.

Awesome thorough list. I've got a multitool that won't be leaving my side during my trip but I'll make sure to put together a proper kit based on this. Also as far as what rough is

kambaki.jpg

That's about the best image I can find. There's some smoothish parts, some inclines that smaller cars have trouble with, and a good amount of large rocks and bumpy sections. Every year they attempt to smooth it out because the winter wrecks them, and every year it changes a bit.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference between road or off road, but l don't even bother with the patches when going off road, just throw 2 tubes in your bag, some tyre levers and a pump.
I swap tubes first, but given patches weigh nothing, it's still best to carry them. When you're up a hill 15 miles from salvation and just had your third puncture, you'll be glad you did.

Mmm. Seems I might have fractured my coccyx during my world record manual attempt. Does that count as a broken back?

You're getting too old for this shit.

@SnakeXs: That image doesn't embed, but it loads separately. Looks like a fairly standard fire road to me. CX or mountain bike. Mountain bike would be more comfortable, but slower.

Honest to God, I actually figured you guys were out and about so much you just didn't talk about it because why talk about it at all.

Though if you had I guess there would have been leanage pics, huh.

Speaking of the weekend, I'm doing the century of the Ride Around Clark County while my wife and son will be doing the 34-mile ride.

I've done the ride by myself unsupported five times so this will be my first supported one. It's a fair bit of difference from my two previous supported rides in that there's no starting line per se as it's just a location and you leave when you want. Also, the last two rides were both sorta flat (Reach the Beach 2013 and Seattle to Portland 2014 [not my GPS info, btw]) so this one is my first 'hilly' ride. Though it doesn't matter much as it will be the sixth time doing it so it's not like I'm going to be surprised by any of it.

I'm not bothering with a cue sheet because they have the road painted with color-coded Dan Henry arrows so I just need to follow the white ones. The weather says mid 60's, partly cloudy, and 8mph wind so it's going to be almost perfect.

Here's hoping I finish in a quicker time than my past results, though my average of 15.5 mph stands for practically every long ride I do so I'm not exactly holding my breath.

senahorse

Jump on something like a bmx or mountain bike and a wide open park and just learn. Get used to sitting on it and where your feet and hands go and then get someone to walk beside you while you pedal, not really sure besides that, but good luck you will love it, I kind of envy you, it's a special feeling when you start going for the first time :D

Don't feel bad about it. I helped teach my adult friend how to do it recently. He's still a bit shaky, but it all comes with time.

x3n05 is right. You need a wide open space with soft things to fall on. Grass is usually pretty good. Make sure you start with the seat fairly low as you'll be grateful of the confidence being able to put your feet down will give you. Eventually you'll be able to get it at the proper height so it doesn't feel quite so hard.

Anyone (in the US) doing the National Bike Challenge? I was thinking that we could make a GAF team!

https://nationalbikechallenge.org

Anyone up for it?
Is that a Strava heat map? You can get in pretty close and see peoples routes from home to work. Kind of creepy.

If I had a Scott bike I would participate in that.

ಠ_ಠ

Ok, so I'm pumped about this 'team' aspect, especially with the prizes. Who's going to make the GAF team? I would, but I want to make a logo that's a bicycle with the neogaf logo for wheels and I don't have photoshop at work.

bikes are the bane of my existence

i literally never figured out how to ride one

anyone have tips for learning to ride a bike as an adult?

i am dead serious

I learned when I was 18, so you can do it! I found that starting on gently sloping decline, like a long driveway helped me get the feel of riding on 2 wheels. Basically ride down slowly, you can even try to keep you feet down, just above the pavement, and let the bike go straight. as you gain confidence, you can add gentle turns, and work your way up to feet on the pedals then, start pedaling. It is the type of things that it is scary at first, but then all of a sudden it just clicks and you will be doing it without thinking.

t-ramp

I knew I was moving pretty quick on the second half of my ride today, but I was pretty happy to find that I managed 21.8mph according to Strava. I guess that's what a slight tailwind (and possibly a very gentle overall decline) will do, since I couldn't even do 15 on the first half.

Anyone (in the US) doing the National Bike Challenge? I was thinking that we could make a GAF team!

https://nationalbikechallenge.org

Anyone up for it?

Alright, maybe it's my browser but it's having issues putting rides on the right days. I put in a ride I did on the 17th and it moved to the 16th. And I can't figure out how to delete things.

Yeah, I'm chalking it up to browser until I get home. Work sucks for making us stay on IE9. It's like a war crime, right?

thomaser

Had my first training yesterday as a member of the local cycling club. Four 1-minute max efforts in a row (with 1-minute rests in between) sounded easy enough, but I don't think I've ever had that high of a pulse before. My shoulder seized up for some reason. And almost everybody else just zoomed away into the distance. Oh well, at least I have plenty of room to grow!

thomaser

By the way, did you see this video, or am I hopelessly late posting it again?

Guy tries to learn to ride a "backwards bicycle", where turning left makes it go right. Spent 8 months on it. When he finally did it, he could no longer ride bikes the normal way. Fascinating how our brains can be completely re-wired. There's also video of the exact moment when his brain is re-re-wired, and he suddenly can ride bikes normally again. Cool stuff! I want to try that bike.

fat pat

By the way, did you see this video, or am I hopelessly late posting it again?

Guy tries to learn to ride a "backwards bicycle", where turning left makes it go right. Spent 8 months on it. When he finally did it, he could no longer ride bikes the normal way. Fascinating how our brains can be completely re-wired. There's also video of the exact moment when his brain is re-re-wired, and he suddenly can ride bikes normally again. Cool stuff! I want to try that bike.

This is fascinating.

Karakand

I knew I was moving pretty quick on the second half of my ride today, but I was pretty happy to find that I managed 21.8mph according to Strava. I guess that's what a slight tailwind (and possibly a very gentle overall decline) will do, since I couldn't even do 15 on the first half.

Grats, I love chasing my top speed on every ride--though I hope that I don't get much faster than my current best (65 km/h) for the time being.

senahorse

A new challenger appears! Picked up my gf's bike today and have just finished setting it up for her, tomorrow we take it on the maiden voyage :D

nb_zpspklij6zl.png~original

Mascot

We still have to get out for a ride at some point. Seems stupid we haven't given how close you are to me. :D

Yep. Not sure how long this fracture will keep me off the bike though. I can bear the pain (imagine someone hammering nails into the base of your spine) but I don't want to take any chances. Thank fuck the weather's turned shite.

senahorse

I take it you're down south Mascot, the weather in Qld was shit (see my pics in the 2 wheel gaf [motorbike] thread :p), but now it has come really good :)

Had a short trail run in pouring rain, was so much fun. Several pedal strikes and other slippages, and I didn't fall down once despite wearing spds. Making a note here, huge success!

Mascot

I take it you're down south Mascot, the weather in Qld was shit (see my pics in the 2 wheel gaf [motorbike] thread :p), but now it has come really good :)

South West... of Britain..! :p

I lived in Sydney many moons ago in another life though. Would go back.

andylsun

Longest ride of the year so far. 33 miles in hilly New Hampshire. Everything started hurting at mile 29 but managed to finish it. Average around 14 mph which isn't great but a good starting point.

senahorse

Went for a leisurely test ride with the rflkt today, did about 45 minutes and about 17km. We had our phones in the saddle bag handling the bluetooth to rflkt data and GPS. Recorded every bit of the ride and the phone battery only dropped about 8%, very happy with the outcome.

edit: looking at the data, it seems it was on and recording for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, even more impressed :D

Top Bottom