• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I have one of these packs that I take with me on my longer rides. It holds my 2L bladder well as well as my pump, some sandwiches, phone, and wallet. Only things I don't like about it is that it's a PITA to take the bladder out to refill mid-ride (thankfully that's only happened once and that's because it was a really hot day) and the waist-straps are short enough to make me think it's a kids pack. I'm not a big guy, but the straps are fully extended and still barely fit around me.

edit: The chest strap is as tight as it will go to fit while the waist straps are as far out as they will go. it's like they built it for some freak with a giant chest and really narrow waist.

kottila

I don't know how you guys cope carrying such a small amount of water. Two bottles would last me about an hour and a half, which is why I always go with the camelbak on long rides.

1.5l is good for 3-4 hours unless it's really warm and when you're on the road there's always a gas station or river for refills. A sandwich, banana and two energy bars is plenty for almost any ride and bringing a credit card just in case there's a food crisis

T
I don't know how you guys cope carrying such a small amount of water. Two bottles would last me about an hour and a half, which is why I always go with the camelbak on long rides.

Backpacks, while convenient, are not ideal for me when I'm out for 3-4 hours on my bike. I want to be comfortable as possible and a backpack will just add to some discomfort (not to mention in July-August more sweat/heat). So what I do is carry a 25oz with water and a 21oz with a Nuun tablet (25oz wont fit in my second cage). On hotter days I'll likely need a refill by mile 30-35 and will stop to get some water to refill them. I try to drink every 15-20 minutes and between the two bottles that can be just enough or more than enough.

1.5l is good for 3-4 hours unless it's really warm and when you're on the road there's always a gas station or river for refills. A sandwich, banana and two energy bars is plenty for almost any ride and bringing a credit card just in case there's a food crisis

Ehh... 3 hours at a push. I guess if you're just pootling along it would be fine, but I don't tend to do leisurely rides.

But yeah, on the road there would usually be shops of some sort I guess. I don't take a credit card though, always cash. Lost count of the amount of places I've tried to get things from (out in the wilds) that don't take cards.

Backpacks, while convenient, are not ideal for me when I'm out for 3-4 hours on my bike. I want to be comfortable as possible and a backpack will just add to some discomfort (not to mention in July-August more sweat/heat).

I've done 10 hour rides with camelbaks on. Once you're used to them being there, you don't even notice them. The good ones have air channels to avoid heat problems too.

Niks

Endura stuff tends to be reasonably good as a general rule. Have never heard of ZOIC. Can't see why they wouldn't do the job though.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, don't know about the ZOIC, but it seems to get good reviews online. It has a removable liner, so that's a plus.

How can I get maximum aero when I have a bag on me? The bag completely takes away from my skinsuit and fully shaved body.

Really it just comes down to have more actually on me than I need.

How can I get maximum aero when I have a bag on me? The bag completely takes away from my skinsuit and fully shaved body.

Eyebrow-less.

"Incremental gains"

Unrelated, I just setup my SPOT tracker. I know it's old tech, but actually sending shit to a satellite blows my mind a bit. Tracking page seems to work well too.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, don't know about the ZOIC, but it seems to get good reviews online. It has a removable liner, so that's a plus.

I've used the ZOIC Ether shorts for about 2 years now and they are great. Very comfortable and durable. They are rugged but have flex panels in all the right places. I'm in between a large and extra large, so I use a belt with it , but over all the fit is great.

Funnily enough, in the cold and wet is when it's more important to remember to drink regularly. You can easily get dehydrated without realising it because your body doesn't do that whole "parched" thing to do you

HTupolev

Aren't you constantly sending shit to a satellite every time you use Strava..?
No. GPS receivers don't actually talk to the satellites, they just use the received signals to determine position. Then the activity upload is done through normal cell phone data connections.

Mascot

Gonna have a stab at getting back on the bike tomorrow, methinks. Utterly fed up of sitting around on my ass during these glorious evenings.

Just did an FTP test. Started cramping like crazy about half way through, but managed to stick another 10% on my FTP in the last three months. Pretty pleased with that given I've mostly be concentrating on weight training.

senahorse

Saddlebag suggestions for an mtb?

Looking for one to fit tube, CO2, powerlock, multitool, patches, keys and potentially a few other small miscellaneous items.

senahorse

That was the one I was just looking at. Is medium a good size for what I want to put in it, or is it better just to go with the large?

Medium is fine as long as you don't got nuts with what you're putting in it.

Mine has a tube, levers, two co2 carts, a co2 header, multitool, spare cable and powerlocks. That's without extending it (it has a zip to make it bigger).

senahorse

That's exactly the information I was looking for, thanks again :)

edit: Next question, multitools. There are so many available, I was looking at this one:

topeak-alien-iii-multi-tool

2012_Topeak_Alien_III_MTB_Multitool_1.jpg

Overkill, too heavy at ~270g?, too big etc? The idea is I will be carrying the one tool for mine and my gf's bike and want to be able to repair ourselves out of most situations.

This one looks alright as well:

Topeak survival box

46951.jpg

Anyone with familiarity of Lezyne pumps? This one is intriguing to me since it does CO2 and can be a regular hand pump. I don't mind CO2 if I'm close to home, but if I'm 15+ away I don't want to try and make it all the way back on just CO2.

Mascot

Anyone with familiarity of Lezyne pumps? This one is intriguing to me since it does CO2 and can be a regular hand pump. I don't mind CO2 if I'm close to home, but if I'm 15+ away I don't want to try and make it all the way back on just CO2.

Excellent pump brand. Can't see your image or link though?

Yeah, those kits are way over the top. I carry this and some smaller bits and bobs:

lezyne-sv10-med.jpg

I actually have an Alien II. The odds on you using 80% of it are pretty slim (assuming you even know what most of it does).

I have that pump but minus the C02 aspect. It's pretty sexy.

Probably get one of these next:

IMG_8657.jpg

Will be shit at being a normal pump, but I'd have to be pretty unlucky to use use two large CO2 canisters and have to rely on it.

Mascot

Silly question: can you use N20 canisters instead of CO2 to inflate your tyres? That way, if you have a bad crash and snap both of your legs off you can simply suck on a tyre and have one hell of a time until the helicopter arrives.

Seriously: can you?

Mascot

I don't think they come that small.

Oh yes they do, exactly the same size! In Australia they're used to make whipped cream, and if you accidentally forgot to put the cream in the container, then screwed a couple of bulbs in, then inhaled the whole lot, you'd giggle for a while and then pass out.

Erm, so I've heard.

Edit: killed by the PT stealth edit!

I have this urge to get a trail hardtail, one better suited for descents than the XC bike I have. Do any of our gurus have experience with such beasts?

Mascot

I have this urge to get a trail hardtail, one better suited for descents than the XC bike I have. Do any of our gurus have experience with such beasts?
To be honest I'm not even sure which micro-subcategory my HT bike falls into any more. All I know is it climbs, descends, goes flat, goes rocky, goes jumping, goes fast, goes slow, goes technical.... well, you get the idea. Does everything I ask of it, basically.

18.5" Trek 6500 on 26ers, in case anyone was wondering.

I think it goes in the category "old".

I kid! But what I'm really interested in is one of those things with a slack head angle and lots of fork travel. Usually they're full suspension but the aesthetic of a hardtail is just so much more enjoyable.

Like this Mondraker. But they're a super expensive brand. Something cheap from a shed in the UK would be nice.

You're looking for what's usually defined as a hardcore hardtail. 140mm or so travel, 67 degree or lower head angle, 180mm+ rotors. Probably a 15mm QR on the front. Maybe 12x142 axle on the back. Plenty out there these days in 650b format.

Sounds like you want something from Cotic, Orange, On-One, Ragley etc

HTupolev

I'm getting a mental image of an LBS selling someone a "non-trail hardtail." They're telling the customer that the suspension is for bumps in the tarmac, and don't try to take the bike off-road.

Manufacturers possibly call them that, but most people I know refer to them as hardcore hardtails.

Either way, they mostly come in (steel) frame only format which you add bits you want to.

Saw this topic on reddit and wanted to ask here: How often should you change your cables/housing?

My bike was bought used and when I was trying to figure out some shifting issues I noticed there's a kink in the rear derailleur cable right by the seat post (it's hidden in the short bit of housing under the seat when everything is under tension). That combined with how gritty/ugly the short bit of housing is on the derailleur makes me want to replace everything. Get some colored housing in the process, and even the teflon-coated stuff to boot.

Once a year probably. Usually when I get meaningful shifting problems.

Next time out I'm going fully sealed.

Edit - The teflon stuff wears off REALLY quickly btw.

Top Bottom