• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

cbox

2v3ZR5K.jpg

I've got it somewhat covered :p

vv68aPr.jpg

It's just the rest of your body getting soaked!

senahorse

Still sorting out my saddle bag/tools order but yesterday I picked up a Tickr X HR monitor and a Blue SC Cadence/Speed sensor. I haven't had a good chance to test them out yet but did get them working with Wahoo Fitness and Strava in Android. I have been using a Fitbit HR, and while the heart rate is pretty accurate during resting/non-exercise periods, during exercise (riding/even spinbike) it goes out by up to 30 bpm. The Tickr X seems extremely accurate but that's what you would expect from an ECG monitor compared to a light sensore in the Fitbit.

Now I have to decide what I will do about a bike computer, currently I am leaning towards a really cheap Android phone (~$50 with GPS and BTLE) in the saddlebag and using a Rflkt+ on the handlebar. Wahoo definitely have a love affair with Apple but the Android stuff seems sufficient and I don't want to pay Apple tax just for a bike computer/emergency phone.

Ok, here's my route (barring some final tweaks) for next weekend's bikepacking event.

I've managed to be a bit more intelligent about some of the waypoints and cut down some of the elevation change and the distance. Where it looks like I go off in a random direction then come back it was because it made more sense to hit a waypoint that way than route through it to another one.

Meanwhile, I'm reading about information needs analysis.

So jealous.

edit: ok done. That Welsh Ride Thing thing truly sounds awesome and a bit scary. Are you going to sleep outside too or are there shelters along the way?

thomaser

Was in London this weekend, and visited the Rapha store. Very cool clothes, but those prices are insane. Yes I would like to have silky-smooth gloves made from hairy sheep, but they cost £160! Their cheapest gloves were £70. No Rapha swag for me, then. They seem to have some kind of religious following, though. The place was packed with customers with Rapha everything all over their thin bodies.

edit: ok done. That Welsh Ride Thing thing truly sounds awesome and a bit scary. Are you going to sleep outside too or are there shelters along the way?

Outside. I'm carrying everything I need. No idea where I'll stop. Technically "wild camping" is illegal in England and Wales, but ehhh...

I'm sure I'll work something out. Right now I'm mostly concerned that it's due to rain the entire weekend, which will really, REALLY suck. I absolutely don't want to be trying to get dry after a day of riding, and it'll mean I have to carry a bunch more stuff.

senahorse

I was thinking, instead of a saddle bag, use a bottle cage bag in a second bottle cage, is such a thing common, and does it make sense over a saddle bag? This would be road only, off-road I would rely on my camelbak.

ATF487

I got my first taste of a decent road bike yesterday, I rented a Fuji Transonic from this bike shop in Toronto. Was surprised they trusted me with it tbh, only cost 40 dollars for the day. I don't know if I can go back to my 7.1fx hybrid now :(

senahorse

Looks like Zwift have started trialing a new course:

Hey Zwifters! Together we’ve ridden 1 million miles (@1.6M km), 333K laps and climbed a total of 44M feet (@13.4M meters) on Zwift Island. That’s like climbing Mt Everest 1.5K times! We think that’s a big deal, so today we've launched our new course on the next isle to celebrate. Welcome to Watopia, your new home on Zwift!

As you can see, we’ve successfully moved and we’re ready for everyone to conquer our 10k course filled with fabulous vistas, bridges, and all new terrain. We’re still under construction so please be patient as we work to bring you the best ride possible (helmet’s encouraged!).

Of course, we’ve also added some fixes and improvements to your overall Zwift experience:

Bike tail lights added at night (for additional safety)
Profile screen added to edit weight, height, country, and name
A host of other small improvements and tweaks

11187189_385793661606115_2876537950061029889_o.jpg

zwift%20elevation_zpssy31mmww.png~original

Segment Stats
Type:
Ride
Distance:
9.1 km
Elev Gain:
101 m
Elev Change:
57 m
Avg Grade:
0 %
Max Grade:
11.9 %
Climb cat:
n/a
Min Elevation:
0 m
Max Elevation:
57 m
KOM tries:
Not known
KOM athletes:
KOM time:
11:38
KOM speed:
47 km/h
KOM VAM:
n/a
KOM RP:
n/a

The financial controller has given me permission to get a Kickr in June as long as I keep my regular exercise up, should be pretty awesome :)

I got my first taste of a decent road bike yesterday, I rented a Fuji Transonic from this bike shop in Toronto. Was surprised they trusted me with it tbh, only cost 40 dollars for the day. I don't know if I can go back to my 7.1fx hybrid now :(

Welcome to many, many years of listing after bikes. ;)

The n+1 bug is catching up to me. My company gives us $800 a year to spend on anything fitness related and I'm really contemplating a steel single speed with an internal hub.

Mascot

Oddly it's never affected me. I prefer just upgrading a couple of bikes to buying a bunch of different ones then hardly using them.

YET YOU BOUGHT A JIMMY.

Mmm... seems my immaculate Nexus 4 ain't worth much on the second-hand phone market. Quite tempted to put a prepaid sim in it, buy a bike mount and use it as a GPS bike computer with emergency calling capabilities and podcast-playing function. That way I can leave my new S6E at home safe and sound.

Thoughts? Suitable apps?

Yeah, but road bike and mountain bike... that's it isn't it really. Any more is just wasteful. :p

Re cycle computer, batteries aren't anywhere near good enough on the Nexus 4 to use without a battery pack. As for software, if you want full on mapping capabilities then Viewranger is a good bet. Otherwise pretty much Endomondo or Strava.

Hell no, you always need a new bike.

I'm leaning towards On-One for the hc ht again, because that's by far the best deal for doing your own build. But now the question is, 26 or 27.5, carbon or steel.

This would only be bike four.

Bike 1: 2 year old Scott road bike
Bike 2: 15+ year old Cannondale Mountain bike
Bike 3: 10+ year old Trek for back and forth commutes to the train

So this would be a good fun/commuter bike and for when I'm out with a local group. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok, saddle height while riding off road. My Trek X-Caliber is an XC bike so it's designed to go really fast when the saddle is at the "proper" height. However I can't handle it off road because I can't lower my centre of mass when I need to. So I lower it about 3cm, things go ok in general but keeping up the speed is harder and uphills can make the front wheel unsteady. It all seems like a bunch of tradeoffs. Or l2ride.

Also, pedal more standing up.

But yes, it's compromise. You lose pedalling efficiency by dropping, but you gain control on descents. Hence the popularity of dropper posts.

I tried putting the seatpost down all the way once and the bike just flew over all terrain. But it was super hard on the legs, having to stand up all the time. Maybe I should use that as a way to get stronger.

senahorse

YET YOU BOUGHT A JIMMY.

Mmm... seems my immaculate Nexus 4 ain't worth much on the second-hand phone market. Quite tempted to put a prepaid sim in it, buy a bike mount and use it as a GPS bike computer with emergency calling capabilities and podcast-playing function. That way I can leave my new S6E at home safe and sound.

Thoughts? Suitable apps?

I just picked up a Huawei Y550 from Harvey Norman yesterday for $45 (which funnily comes with $50 of Vodafone credit), strictly for this purpose. It has GPS, BTLE, quad-core cpu, 1GB RAM, basically, perfect for this and I don't have to worry about breaking/losing it. I am just using the Wahoo Fitness app and it records the route, heart-rate, cadence, speed and altitude (using HR monitor and speed/cadence sensor paired with phone). I ran it with the phone in my Camelbak but plan to move it to a saddle bag.

They have something similar to that at the fair every year. The guy running the booth can do it (obviously) but everyone fails within the first five feet. There's a box on the stem covering the gears so it just looks like the bike is steering wrong for no reason.

Karakand

Did AG2R La Mondiale use SRAMs wireless groupset in the team time trial at the Tour of Romandie? Finishing that far off the pace I sure hope not...

Also, hello. :D

Gray Matter

Left my bike at the shop for the 100 mile check up. Feels weird not riding it.

Also bought a new computer to go along with it, nothing special, just records speed, time distance and something else I forget, and a new pair of sunglasses that I wanted/needed.

Edit: also rode a trek 1.5 road bike. My god that was a beautiful bike, and it rides even better. I have no regrets with my purchase, but I like the feel of a road bike better.

Still getting a load of pain around my knee (I don't think it's actually the knee, I think it's muscular). Am adding in a ton of stretches / mobility stuff in the hope that I can get on top of it. Stupid body.

Mascot

Edit: also rode a trek 1.5 road bike. My god that was a beautiful bike, and it rides even better. I have no regrets with my purchase, but I like the feel of a road bike better.

The ghost of Jimmy Savile temps another victim into his den of devilment...

Be strong, sweet prince.

Still getting a load of pain around my knee (I don't think it's actually the knee, I think it's muscular). Am adding in a ton of stretches / mobility stuff in the hope that I can get on top of it. Stupid body.

Does it feel like it's behind the knee cap? If so look into patella femoral syndrome
If it's the top of the knee and quad area, just ice and rest. I had it happen to me two years ago and I kept riding through it. Ended up taking three weeks of no riding for it to fully go away.

Does it feel like it's behind the knee cap? If so look into patella femoral syndrome
If it's the top of the knee and quad area, just ice and rest. I had it happen to me two years ago and I kept riding through it. Ended up taking three weeks of no riding for it to fully go away.

Patellofemoral pain syndrome was what I found funnily enough. It seems like its related to the ligaments on the outside. It starts there with tension and then after a while fucks up basically most of my knee, up to the point where it's hard to pedal, and very hard to walk (especially downhill).

A lot of what I've seen on it seems to indicate it's hamstring related, so that's where I'm focussing, but I'm working on general knee stability too.

I actually went to physical therapy for it a few years ago and it's more than just a ligament thing. It's from a muscle imbalance in the quad muscle (typically) where they're push-pulling against each other causing the cap to track improperly. I use a foam roller to work everywhere on my upper leg moving very slowly up and down. At times you can actually feel it pulling around the knee when you find the right spot. I also have been making sure to do my hamstrings as that can be related to the imbalance.

So if I were to get a frame with a 1.5 - 1 1/8 tapering headtube, how hard would it be to fit a straight 1 1/8 suspension fork in it?

It seems like a simple spacer/shim/whatever could do it, but these things are never that simple.

After months off the bike due to back and knee injuries, I am finally back on the bike. Looking for a new commuter headlight. I'd like a rechargeable battery, micro usb charging, and some side lighting would be nice. Max Budget $150 - $200

The Bontrager 700R is currently my front runner.

profile.jpg

Any thoughts?

Just did some raised hamstring bridges. Holy shit my hamstrings are weak.

So if I were to get a frame with a 1.5 - 1 1/8 tapering headtube, how hard would it be to fit a straight 1 1/8 suspension fork in it?

It seems like a simple spacer/shim/whatever could do it, but these things are never that simple.

You just need the right part for your headset. How easy that is depends on the headset.

Top Bottom