• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

teepo

and it's better to train doing more shorter rides than fewer longer rides.

but that's a conversation for another day.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I knew there had to be a bike GAF..

What's up guys, new here. Recently I got the super itch to get into mountain biking as a hobby and as a means to up my cardiovascular health, heart disease runs in the family and while I've always tried to stay fit via weightlifting, I never really enjoyed running, my childhood was spent on bmx bikes so figured a mountain bike would be a good extension of those experiences, so far I'm loving it and wish more of my buddies would ride.. Anyways I'm in nor cal (Sacramento) and try to get some riding in at least 2-3 times a week. I bought a bike that is better than my current skill level but I'm eager to improve my riding

In my mind I think I want to be an aggressive type rider and wanted a bike i could throw around the trail and all my research led me to a transition scout. The bike is awesome,gives me a sense of confidence but almost to a fault, I took a spill when my front tire washed out on a slight downhill turn, scraped my knee, nothing serious really but still I'm a 36 year old 215lb man.. When in fall, its an event.

Anyways, just wanted to introduced myself to the thread,and see if maybe there are other Sacramento area MTB riders in here..

I'm not a super active poster, but will be checking in from time to time and post some pictures of rides, bike, etc.

I was just at Rockville Hills in Suisun/Fairfield yesterday. Ultra technical trails (at least for me) that I have to put feet down on all the time but I really like the challenge. I just bought knee/elbow pads because my wife and I were getting pretty banged up learning.

We mostly go to Crockett Hills which is about ten minutes from us. Lots of climbing but lots of single track goodness too. We went today, did 8 miles and 1700ft of elevation gain.

I think my cardio is getting better, hills still hurt but I am resting less and going faster.

Cornering is where I am trying to improve most right now. I am still taking them really slow, especially steep switchbacks. I am getting better about keeping my eyes up trail though, but still a conscious decision to do so.

I have to start working on learning manuals and bunny hops. I imagine that is going to take a pretty long time. I have been watching videos to get the ideas down, but we live on a hilly street so I will need to find a good empty parking lot to practice in.

You should be able to get dura-ace pad holder replicas with good pads for pretty cheap. On my late 80s italian bike with similar sidepull brakes, i needed a dremel to increase the width of the arm openings where the pads bolt to the caliper. Not sure if that's required on yours, though.

Fitted perfectly, there were removable inserts which gave the slots 0.5mm more width, not sure you're supposed to remove but I have.

My retro steed:

untitled-1bco3n.jpg

I think the frame is from the early 90s from a local frame builder, it's not bad, a very nice ride, but the fork flexes quite a bit when braking on descents, is this normal? I've never ridden a road bike with one of these thin steel forks before, the pads are toed in.

Karakand

If N is the number of flat tire repair kits you have, the number of flat tire repair kits you should own is...

No Foucault, but I'm a hardheaded shitbird that needs to learn things the hard way sometimes and bringing a tire repair kit seems like it wouldn't inconvenience me enough to do so. I finally got disciplined about checking tire pressure before every ride after taking an entirely preventable pinch flat and making the walk of shame home, for example.

(I do take an Allen wrench with me to take my cleats off in the event of having to walk; it's like the Laffer curve, too much inconvenience and I don't learn anything.)

kottila

Yeah, and a spare tube, cable ties and mini-tool too.

It's madness venturing out without a PRK. I'd feel nervous with every pedal stroke.

We had a guy who broke his chain the other day, I realized that I had no idea how to fix it and would be stuck if it happened to me. The solution: stick my head back in the sand and just pray it never happens to me.. My minipump has disappeared mysteriously, so now I only carry two co2 cartridges with me.

thomaser

I carry a minitool, chain link, tube, pump and levers. Not really sure how to use the minitool and chainlink to fix a broken chain, though, but maybe the answer will magically appear if necessary.

Bought a new bike computer today. Garmin Edge 1000. Way overkill for my needs (and costs as much as my mtb), but now I won't have anything "better" to lust after for a while. Wonder if the maps are of any use.

Stryder

I carry a minitool, chain link, tube, pump and levers. Not really sure how to use the minitool and chainlink to fix a broken chain, though, but maybe the answer will magically appear if necessary.

Bought a new bike computer today. Garmin Edge 1000. Way overkill for my needs (and costs as much as my mtb), but now I won't have anything "better" to lust after for a while. Wonder if the maps are of any use.

Why'd you go for the 1000? I reckon the recently released 520 is a better option, bang for buck wise.

Speaking of computers, is there such a thing as a cheap, weatherproof GPS unit? I want to upload gpx files of long trail routes to it.

ngower

Did ~8mi today on a mostly flat rail trail. Legs and the like were fine, but I had some slight soreness in my shoulders/neck and my hands were cramping up. I know this is likely expected to an extent given I'm still getting my body accustomed to riding a bike again, but should I be worried about bike fit? Should I invest the money to get an LBS help me with a fit, or am I just in the expected "growing pains" of returning to the saddle?

P.S. Thanks everyone for the input, help and advice over the past week or two. You're far more helpful than some of the other places I've posted, who are kind of nasty anytime I ask a ridiculous question. I'm trying to read as much as I can to answer questions, but there's a limit to one's time and that's where y'all come in and help.

HTupolev

Legs and the like were fine, but I had some slight soreness in my shoulders/neck and my hands were cramping up. I know this is likely expected to an extent given I'm still getting my body accustomed to riding a bike again, but should I be worried about bike fit? Should I invest the money to get an LBS help me with a fit, or am I just in the expected "growing pains" of returning to the saddle?
Make sure you aren't really "gripping" your handlebars except when necessary for control. Your hands should be somewhat relaxed most of the time.

How wide are your handlebars compared with your shoulders? If the handlebars are skinnier, that might be contributing, since all of your arm positions will have your shoulders bent inward and your chest tight. You simply won't be able to perfectly relax your upper body while in the saddle.

Yup, you should be able to control your bike with nothing more than a fingertip either side. I like to practice by making a sort of ring with my index finger and thumb and riding that way. Almost impossible to overgrip when you're doing that.

thomaser

Maybe I should start carrying a machete. Everything's overgrown because of all the rain.

Yeah, had to duck and weave under lots of rain-heavy trees on Sunday, and got leaves and shit in every possible nook and cranny of the bike. Hard to see the path at times too. There's a race in that exact path in two weeks, but it's going to be cleaned up a bit until then.

Tested the Edge 1000 on a short ride today, and it feels really nice. Very responsive and quick compared to the 510, and the screen is so much better. Quick upload too, without any trouble. So far, so good
but the price is still exorbitant.

No idea why, but my knee has been playing up all week, even though I haven't ridden for two. Going to do a trainer ride in a minute, but I'm very apprehensive.

mulac

My running days are officially over as of this week with my patella (knee joint) basically destroyed because of marathons/running last year plus I did the Everest Base Camp trek earlier this year which pushed it over the edge.

So now looking at other alternatives to stay fit and healthy (the gym bores me).
Biking is a good option as its great and i can actually do it as low knee-impact.

Looking at communiting to work (around 25km) once or twice a week plus weekend trail rides at weekends. I live in Sydney so plenty of cycling tracks here.

Thinking of one of the "DS" models by Trek; my budget is around $2000 AUD (extreme end) as I want quality to start with but obviously understand and researching the world of bikes.

Any specific recommendations from CycleGaf for someone like me?
Here are the two i'm considering at this stage - pulling the trigger next week or so on my cycling career!

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/city/dual_sport/ds_series/8_6_ds/

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly/superfly_5/

The superfly is easily the better bike of the two, but it's worth noting that trek bikes come with a significant brand price premium.

I'd definitely go for the Superfly 5. It might have a premium, but I find Trek hardtails to be really great bikes. Or for an actually well priced model, X-Caliber 9. It's what I have and I love it.

LeBoef

hi folks,
i am looking for some advice as i dont know how much impact high end stuff has...

as a road biker i am currently looking for a new wheel set to make my life on climbs easier. currently on low end mavic aksiums...

here is my issue:
a) get a high mid tier wheel set which should be a great step away from the aksium wheels
b) get top tier carbon wheels, which is obviously better than aksiums though with a higher price tag than a)... but i dont know if its worth it

i can afford b). but i dont know if its worth it. all stuff on my bike is shimano 105. so i could possibly use the difference between a) and b) to buy ultegra stuff over the time as i have to change parts which fall apart.

to make things complicated:
i can get the wheels for an amazing prize (legaly!). thats why i even consider b) as an option.

how is carbon stuff on every day use?

thanks in advance

ps: i am obviously not a pro and dont have ambition to win any races. just love endurance races and long trips.

Edit:
oh sorry, disc brakes!

Carbon rims require special brake pads and are apparently really bad in the rain. So you have to be kinda devoted to them.

After a certain point high end parts become an aesthetic thing IMO. Get them if it makes you have feels in that special place.

Got given a triple Campagnolo, custom built Vernon Barker steed:

untitled-jj1c7o99.jpg

Rode it up that big hill in the background and knocked 1m 37secs off my PB time in the granny ring :D

LeBoef

Carbon rims require special brake pads and are apparently really bad in the rain. So you have to be kinda devoted to them.

After a certain point high end parts become an aesthetic thing IMO. Get them if it makes you have feels in that special place.

forgot to mention i got disc brakes

How big are you? The best way to make your life easier on climbs is slimming down... also, carbon rims really don't like fatties, I've seen that first hand. ;)

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
How much does it cost to repair brakes on the average bike? My right brake just broke, and I was just getting used to using the right one instead. One broke after I crashed, i'm not sure what broke the other one.

Brakes are relatively easy to set up, but they're also so important that if you have any hesitations, just go and get them done by a shop. If you buy the new brakes from the same place, they might put them on for cheap or even free.

Top Bottom