• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

0OoO0

Thanks. That's reassuring to hear. I guess my next step is to test it out and other models before I commit to buying

Y'all got any recommendations for travel tool kits? I feel like I need some gear for my rides across town, especially if I'm going to commute to work like I eventually want to.

Small travel bags would be a good idea too.

Sky Chief

Hey guys

I am interested in getting a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport. My local bike store in Australia has it on sale.

http://www.velocipede.com.au/promos/on-sale/specialized-roubaix-sl4-sport-2015

Should I get it? I have done some research on it already and it looks like this is the type of bike for me. But I have no experience of buying expensive bikes before so I am after people's opinion.

What!? That is so cheap! It's like 33% less than they still the same model for in the USA after currency conversion.

Y'all got any recommendations for travel tool kits? I feel like I need some gear for my rides across town, especially if I'm going to commute to work like I eventually want to.

Small travel bags would be a good idea too.

Forget about the tool kits as they tend to be crap. Get a small saddle bag, a multitool and some other bits and bobs like chain connectors, a tube, a quick patch, some CO2 etc.

HTupolev

Multi-tool, tire levers, and one or two spare tubes. Might as well throw in some tube patches, since they don't really take up any space or weight. Also consider a chain connector link (and/or even a chain tool if you want to be really serious about it). Saddle bags are good for carrying this stuff.

You also need something to inflate tires with.

They make mini-pumps with mounts that go on the same sets of holes as water bottle cages, and usually you can even mount the pump and the cage to the same set of holes. These pumps are usually poor for reaching high PSI, but they'll get you home. (And the low PSI isn't an issue if you're using wide tires like on a mountain bike.)
I recently got a full-sized frame pump for my touring bike, since I want to be able to get to 100PSI if I flat way out in a mountain pass with a heavily-loaded bike. This is overkill for most bikes, though.
Another option is a setup for pumping with CO2 canisters. This can get you to high pressure fast and without giving you an arm workout. Personally I don't like the idea of ditching pumps entirely; just two days ago a couple on the MUP borrowed my pump because they had failed to find the piece of glass in their tire on the first try, and were running low on CO2 (they'd also only had a single spare tube with no patches, so they had to borrow my patches as well).

So piecemealing is the way to go for a kit, it seems. I need to take a bike maintenance class soon anyway, so I guess it'd be better to go to one of those first. Then I can start putting together my own package afterwards... bike rack, pannier and mini-pump are first up, I guess. I was kinda wanting to avoid getting a rack and pannier since they look inviting to looters, but I guess for a kit it's sort of unavoidable.

HTupolev

I was kinda wanting to avoid getting a rack and pannier since they look inviting to looters, but I guess for a kit it's sort of unavoidable.
Huh? By "saddle bags" we're referring to the little pouches that strap on the back underside of the saddle, to the saddle rails and seat post. Like these sorts of things.

Sky Chief

So piecemealing is the way to go for a kit, it seems. I need to take a bike maintenance class soon anyway, so I guess it'd be better to go to one of those first. Then I can start putting together my own package afterwards... bike rack, pannier and mini-pump are first up, I guess. I was kinda wanting to avoid getting a rack and pannier since they look inviting to looters, but I guess for a kit it's sort of unavoidable.

Check out www.thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-patch-kit

I personally don't carry anything more than tubes, co2 and a pump. I used to carry a multi-tool, but it required a bulkier bag and the bag was annoying to keep attached to my bike. I could feel it swaying in some instances.

Just how much does putting on a big ass enduro front tyre like Maxxis High Roller II slow you down on flats and climbs? I kinda want to try one but they're really expensive...

It was one of those bags that velcros to the seat post and loops through the seat rails. I have two Arundels now and they're pretty solid, but it's hard to fit more than a two tubes and some co2 into the bigger one. I'm rarely going over 50 miles though and even when I do I'm no more than 10-15 miles from home.

thomaser

Signed up for Birkebeinerrittet, the largest offroad bike race in Norway, in a little over two weeks. 92 km, 1493 height meters, mostly on broad gravel roads (so it's not exactly "offroad"). It's the kind of event everybody here does at least once. If you're in financial circles you MUST participate. Aiming for a medium finish time at around 4.30.

Pretty sure the race itself won't be that difficult, even if it will be the longest ride I've had on a mountain bike by a good amount. If the weather is good, it should be fun. But it goes over a mountain, and the weather has historically been cold and wet during the race, so chances are it'll be a slog to get through. The most stressful part will probably be the logistics around it. Drive all day, park in one town, take the bus to the starting town, sleep in a big hall, get up very early, turn in baggage, race, finish in a third town, collect baggage, take bus to first town with car.

Hey guys

I am interested in getting a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport. My local bike store in Australia has it on sale.

Should I get it? I have done some research on it already and it looks like this is the type of bike for me. But I have no experience of buying expensive bikes before so I am after people's opinion.

that's a good deal and a great bike. i have a roubaix version 2011 (or 12) and it hasn't failed me yet even though i sure as hell have tried. and yeah, definitely go with 50-34 and at least 11-28, or maybe higher depending on your climbing abilities.

Just how much does putting on a big ass enduro front tyre like Maxxis High Roller II slow you down on flats and climbs? I kinda want to try one but they're really expensive...

You'll barely notice on flats. On climbs you almost definitely will.

They're amazing on descents though. Shit in the mud, so don't get one if you have particularly muddy trails. I run a Bontrager XR4 team issue on the front which is a good compromise.

Mascot

It was one of those bags that velcros to the seat post and loops through the seat rails. I have two Arundels now and they're pretty solid, but it's hard to fit more than a two tubes and some co2 into the bigger one. I'm rarely going over 50 miles though and even when I do I'm no more than 10-15 miles from home.

I'm 100% happy with my new-ish Topeak bag. Solid as a rock, great build, loads of room, separate compartments and fits nicely around my Thudbuster.

awcJdtVJ0z4lS9wspkD20oUK1aqVQQBxByOkMkXc8sw=w1200-h675-no

KaR7lvupXrP2cx3cvN2antJmMkhOmsAdaLWeKiTcwg4=w1200-h675-no

jdw_b

I've never posted in here for some reason, I do a lot of cycling...Jimmie style

Did my first century yesterday. Paced it early on to Hawes (North Yorks.) and stopped for an amazing cake, then gradually made my way back to Lancaster.

Doing 100 miles was my goal for this year after getting into riding properly in 2014. Managed it in well under 6 hours at an avg. of 17.x and with a tiny bit of freshness still in the legs at the end...so maybe I paced it too well.

waypoetic

Banned
Hey guys

The Roubaix is awesome. It's so dynamic, you could use it for commuting, training and even going for really long rides aka randonneuring.

jdw_b

You could buy a small flat for that in Yorkshire. ;)

It's a cyclist's dream around there...I haven't ventured any further than Hawes but even the roads around that area are just incredible.

Though I do have the Trough of Bowland right on my doorstep too :)

Chickened out on the enduro front tyre, went with the top level Maxxis Ardent Race in the rear, kept the regular Ardent front. That means the front has no special sidewall protection, hope I didn't jinx myself.

Nah. For example: Last weekend I put my shoes in it because I wanted to be able to walk around after the Portland Bridge Pedal. It held my shoes with room for maybe a t-shirt left over.

whoosh

Finally have an actual GPS device so I joined Strava and submitted my name for BikeGAF. It's no great shakes - just a Garmin Edge 200 - but it has to work better than the wifi GPS on my ipod. I've used it three times and so far I can't tell what the difference is. I mean, I don't feel like I'm going faster but my average speed yesterday for my rides were both calculated about 3 mph higher than usual. Weird.

Sky Chief

whoosh

Finally have an actual GPS device so I joined Strava and submitted my name for BikeGAF. It's no great shakes - just a Garmin Edge 200 - but it has to work better than the wifi GPS on my ipod. I've used it three times and so far I can't tell what the difference is. I mean, I don't feel like I'm going faster but my average speed yesterday for my rides were both calculated about 3 mph higher than usual. Weird.

How do you submit your name to BikeGAF?

teepo

whoosh

you probably had the auto-pause feature disabled.

Haven't gone riding in a long time, mostly due to moving to a place with very few options to ride. I mainly did downhill and vertical-type trails in BC before moving east.

Here's a pic of my bike, I don't have my camera handy so it's just one from the net. Mine is identical, will add a real pic later:

It's a 2010 Norco Shore 1. Looking to try out some of the local trails really soon. I am dealing with a lower back issue which sucks but I took it for a little spin around the neighbourhood, still tons of fun. It's hard to forget a lot of skills after spending so long riding mountain trails.

shore_fullwhqsl.jpg

The plan is to move out west next year after finishing my phd -- I hate flat places. :p

Stryder

Okay, I requested to be added.

So I don't really get Strava. Why does everything have to be done through the browser? I mean they know everyone who uses it needs to have a mobile device and yet you can't do any of the cool stuff through the mobile app. I guess their app just sucks.
Because doing the things such as reviewing rides and looking at what friends have been up to is best suited for a web browser. Looking at a map, zooming in on particular segments, looking at flybys, all of the stuff that you get out of your recorded rides is best suited for a browser.

The mobile aspect of strava really is just for recording, and I guess live segments now that they've been introduced.

0OoO0

Guys I think I might buy a new bike tomorrow

Went to test the Specialized Roubaix today and I liked it. This is the model

The sizing was not perfect (I wanted size 52, they only had size 54) but the sales person said it still works with some adjusting of the stem. I went for a test ride and it felt fine.

My other option would be getting a more expensive model which they have in my size.
http://www.velocipede.com.au/promos/on-sale/specialized-roubaix-sl4-comp-2015

It is $700 (Australian Dollars) more expensive, with better wheels, shifters and cassettes.

So what is the best option?

Mascot

The sizing was not perfect (I wanted size 52, they only had size 54) but the sales person said it still works with some adjusting of the stem. I went for a test ride and it felt fine.

Make sure it IS perfect before buying. Basic sizing and geometry should be as perfect as possible, with stems, bars, seatpost, saddle rake etc all used for fine-tuning only.

Guys I think I might buy a new bike tomorrow

Went to test the Specialized Roubaix today and I liked it. This is the model

My other option would be getting a more expensive model which they have in my size.
http://www.velocipede.com.au/promos/on-sale/specialized-roubaix-sl4-comp-2015

It is $700 (Australian Dollars) more expensive, with better wheels, shifters and cassettes.

So what is the best option?

i'd go with the comp (and not just because that's what i have) but because inevitably you're gonna enter upgrade mode and usually the first things you'll want to upgrade are the options included in the roubaix comp. individually, the wheels, shifters and cassettes will cost you well over $700. and if they have the comp in the size you want and it feels right, i'd go for that. bite the bullet now to save expenses later...

0OoO0

i'd go with the comp (and not just because that's what i have) but because inevitably you're gonna enter upgrade mode and usually the first things you'll want to upgrade are the options included in the roubaix comp. individually, the wheels, shifters and cassettes will cost you well over $700. and if they have the comp in the size you want and it feels right, i'd go for that. bite the bullet now to save expenses later...

But will spending the extra money mean a considerable improvement? This is my first road bike so I would probably not notice the differences anyway. It it really good value for money?

But you do have a good point...damn, you're not making it any easier to decide

But will spending the extra money mean a considerable improvement? This is my first road bike so I would probably not notice the differences in the improvement. But you do have a good point...

the fulcrums in the roubaix comp are a very good wheel set and lighter than what is being offered in the 54' frame by at least 500grams. indeed, the axis 2.0 wheels in the sport roubaix are basically starter wheels. of all the improvements you can make to your bike, lighter wheels probably rank right up near the top.

believe me, i wish i had thought of this when i bought my roubaix , because it came with some $150 wheels that i eventually swapped out for a wheelset that ran close to $1000.

Top Bottom