• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

A lot of home owners and renters insurances can cover bikes. When I looked into it I found that it wasn't worth it considering the total value of my bike wasn't worth the monthly cost. If you're going to be racing a lot then I'd consider it.

Well this particular company I spoke to would only charge about 9 a month, and a 100 dollar deduct. I'll be getting the bike on sale and they give you back MSRP price if anything happens.

That doesn't sound too bad. I only inquire because I'll be going back to college soon, and theft is a concern

edit: http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bikes/2016-New-Release/Verza-Speed/Verza-Speed-40.aspx Anyone know how thi compares to the 7.3 FX?.

Ordered a bell for my mtb a few days ago. Had to raise my voice to get the attention of a woman walking her dog on the local bycicle path. Scared her shitless and I felt like a douche and apologized.

ngower

Hi bike-GAF. I posted a few pages back about and wanted to follow-up, seeing as I've narrowed down my search and wonder if anyone can offer some input? The short of my needs: steel frame, mostly for recreational use, commuting once I get a new job closer to home, possibility of touring down the line, needs to endure New England winters, will be used primarily on the road, possible trails (not mountains, just like paths and gravel).

Currently looking at these (in this order):

• Surly Cross Check
• All City Space Horse
• All City Mr. Pink
• Salsa Vaya
• Surly Straggler
• Specialized AWOL

The Cross Check seems to be the closest match to my needs, though it seems a little heavy and I'm not sure how I feel about the bigger tires (I'm a fan of slicks), which is where the All City's come in. After that the bikes sort of lose their luster, but all have some merit. I'm hoping to give some of these test rides in the coming weeks, but a lot of the nearest dealers are an hour+ away, so it'll take some time, hence my seeking your input. Thanks in advance, XOXO.

Hi bike-GAF. I posted a few pages back about and wanted to follow-up, seeing as I've narrowed down my search and wonder if anyone can offer some input? The short of my needs: steel frame, mostly for recreational use, commuting once I get a new job closer to home, possibility of touring down the line, needs to endure New England winters, will be used primarily on the road, possible trails (not mountains, just like paths and gravel).

Currently looking at these (in this order):

• Surly Cross Check
• All City Space Horse
• All City Mr. Pink
• Salsa Vaya
• Surly Straggler
• Specialized AWOL

The Cross Check seems to be the closest match to my needs, though it seems a little heavy and I'm not sure how I feel about the bigger tires (I'm a fan of slicks), which is where the All City's come in. After that the bikes sort of lose their luster, but all have some merit. I'm hoping to give some of these test rides in the coming weeks, but a lot of the nearest dealers are an hour+ away, so it'll take some time, hence my seeking your input. Thanks in advance, XOXO.

I have a Trek 920 and love it, not on your list but a similar bike. A lot lighter than a cross check too. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/touring/920/

t-ramp

What a weekend. So as you may or may not know Oregon is giving away seven handbuilt bikes this summer.
I don't suppose you went bike hunting this morning, too, did you? Some guy already found it, but it looked like an awesome bike.

qQy8pL1.jpg

ngower

I have a Trek 920 and love it, not on your list but a similar bike. A lot lighter than a cross check too. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/touring/920/

Not to sound rude or anything, but I think that meets literally zero of my criteria I was looking for haha. It's an aluminum bike geared towards touring and mountainous terrain, and is significantly more expensive than the bikes I listed.

[EDIT]

I can't offer any advice of my own, but one fellow BikeGAF poster ended up getting a Vaya 3 after testing the Surly Straggler as well.

Yeah, I saw that post in my search here and that's what put the Vaya on my list.

t-ramp

Not to sound rude or anything, but I think that meets literally zero of my criteria I was looking for haha. It's an aluminum bike geared towards touring and mountainous terrain, and is significantly more expensive than the bikes I listed.
I can't offer any advice of my own, but one fellow BikeGAF poster ended up getting a Vaya 3 after testing the Surly Straggler as well.

In my search for a do-it-all kind of bike, I read a lot of positive feedback about Salsa. I found a good Salsa dealer nearby, and spent a couple of hours there 2 nights ago test riding bikes.

They were very cool letting me test ride on a paved rail-trail near the shop and onto some connecting gravel trails. I really, really liked the Salsa Fargo. Man, that's a cool bike. It was surprisingly comfortable. It's a bit overkill for me though.

After the Fargo I tested the Salsa Vaya 3. I took it on the paved rail-trail and then onto some of the connecting crushed gravel trails. It handled both terrain types really well. It's also a very comfortable bike, stable bike. 700x40 tires I think.

I tried the Surly Straggler too. It has a more aggressive riding position than the Salsa bikes, which may be good for some, but it was a negative for me. It's pretty fast for an adventure type bike. I didn't like how often I kept getting toe overlap on the Straggler. It was fun to ride, just not the best fit for me.

Despite not really needing the Fargo, it was a tough choice between the two Salsa bikes. I ended up going with the Salsa Vaya. I should be able to pick it up next week.

Also, brilliant timing at some train tracks today. I was literally 15 feet behind a flatbed semi who was creeping along behind another cyclist, and right as it crossed the tracks the lights started flashing.

Also, our local university mascot, Cy. They put up a whole bunch of these guys (all uniquely painted, of course) around town about a year ago.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It is fun to see improvement. The hills that were completely kicking my ass a week ago and forced me to walk up most of the hills kicked my ass this week but instead of walking I just took breathers. I biked the entire way and we went further, with a total elevation gain of 1125ft over 6.6 miles.

Got a retro frame to replace my mangled Basso to bide me over until I get a new bike. It came fitted with these old Shimano 600 brakes:

800px-Shimano600br.jpg

The pads are crap, very poor stopping power and molded to fit the shoe, so both need replacing. I would like to use insert pads - will the newer Shimano shoes fit with no problems?

shimano_8g6-9808.jpg

ameratsu

Got a retro frame to replace my mangled Basso to bide me over until I get a new bike. It came fitted with these old Shimano 600 brakes:

The pads are crap, very poor stopping power and molded to fit the shoe, so both need replacing. I would like to use insert pads - will the newer Shimano shoes fit with no problems?

You should be able to get dura-ace pad holder replicas with good pads for pretty cheap. On my late 80s italian bike with similar sidepull brakes, i needed a dremel to increase the width of the arm openings where the pads bolt to the caliper. Not sure if that's required on yours, though.

sqwarlock

Want to buy a bike—road/hybrid—but don't want to spend more than $500. Is Bikes Direct still the way to go? If so, what models would you recommend? And would you recommend a single speed for someone that's overweight and hasn't ridden more than a day a month for the last, oh, 10 years?

t-ramp

Definitely not single speed, I'd say. I'm in Iowa, which is relatively flat, and I'd still be miserable at times without multiple gears.

And, honestly, I don't recall anybody here talking about Bikes Direct for a long time. Have you checked your local Craigslist or equivalent? You might be able to find a quite nice used bike for around $500.

Otherwise, entry level hybrids from the name brands are around $500.

Karakand

Want to buy a bike—road/hybrid—but don't want to spend more than $500. Is Bikes Direct still the way to go? If so, what models would you recommend? And would you recommend a single speed for someone that's overweight and hasn't ridden more than a day a month for the last, oh, 10 years?

Not sure how overweight you are but a lot of frames have weight limits. (Usually no more than 240 pounds.) You might want to start there and see what your options are.

A single speed is a very niche purchase. If you want to ride for fitness it'll limit your options considerably, for example. A lot of fitness bikes have modest Shimano setups with a couple of gears, something like that would be better for fitness.

I 've never bought from Bikes Direct but I have bought online. It's probably not a good idea if you haven't been riding for awhile.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Did my first flow trail today. I am still having teouble on tight turns looking just in front of me and it os sending me off trail.

I need to work on my cornering skills something fierce. And the pump and bump stuff is well beyond me at this point, but it was fun to try and very challenging. I fell once and had to pop up and get out of the way of some guy behind me rocketing down the trail.

Go to a local bicycle shop if you can. Testing how it fits and rides is quite important imo.

Stryder

Just got back from (almost) cycling to Paris with a mate.

Covered over 300km over the weekend but the rain was just so heavy once we reached the outskirts of Paris and the traffic difficult to negotiate safely that we jumped in a cab with 15km to go.

After showers and freshening up there was enough time to get down to the Champs Elysees to see the peloton come through for 8 laps or so and the sun was out by then, worth the effort!

I don't suppose you went bike hunting this morning, too, did you? Some guy already found it, but it looked like an awesome bike.

*glares* Yes, I did. Also, I hate that they only show the green side of the bike.

click me said:

CKwofOAUsAArjEC.jpg

That's me on the far right, looking down. I was texting my wife because she said there were 8 people at her side of the trail, compared to the close to 100 on this side. I choose poorly (Part A).

I got to the trail at 4:15 or so and there were three people ahead of me, not counting the ranger and the contest official. The group grew rapidly and there was a very large variety of people there. There was one guy to my left on a heavy-looking mountain bike with full panniers and a backpack. I don't know what he thought he was going to do, laden as he was, but whatevs. There were a few people on tri and TT bikes (they all predictably flew up the hill there) and I wondered at the ones who had bikes as nice as - if not nicer than - the one we were out to find. I mean, free is nice and all but dude, come on. Kind of like the first two guys who found bikes who had occupations where they could afford the bike anyway. But then I forget what human nature is.

Moving on...the 'race' was supposed to start at 5:42 so as we got closer they were talking about doing a start countdown. Sure, ok, that's good. So talk talk talk...'Oh, hey, it's 5:42. Go?' is how it started. I was worried there was going to be an accident given the wide range of bikes/people/skills so I was glad I was in the front but also I feared someone taking me out from behind. I didn't see any reports of injuries so that's good.

I made it up the hill though and it was hilarious watching everyone go. There were bikes scattered on the side of the trail at various points while they ran into the woods looking. One guy - he's just to the screen left of me in that picture, in the yellow lycra - put his fancy TT bike in the gravel and then climbed the side of a hill to get to the top. I had to literally laugh at that because a) it was a really nice bike and b) really? There was no trail, he just took off.

After that point there is a tunnel. This is where my wife thought the bike would be because there are two alcoves in there big enough to park a car. I glanced at them - mostly because why not check? - but nothing. After the tunnel is an...alley-like thing with columns. It's narrow. Why do I mention this? It's because there was a guy in front of me going slowly. I liked his jersey though, it was a funny Wallace & Gromit one that said, "Keep Up Lads".

Sound familiar?

CKw9-ogVAAE8rku.jpg

So right when we come out of the narrow area there's a side trail off to the right. He goes that way and I don't, I keep going straight.

Yeah. I Choose Poorly (Part B).

I get to the end of the trail and turn around because I get a text from my wife saying someone found the bike. I make it back to where there was a large group of people and see a guy standing with the bike, a big black guy, and he looks so happy. Standing next to him is the W&G guy though, and I thought, "Oh, they're friends." Then my wife says that's the guy who found it, the one in the white helmet. I looked at her and said no. Don't tell me that. Who really found it. Nope, that's him. Fuck.

I couldn't go to sleep Saturday night because my brain kept thinking, "you were literally seconds away from finding the bike." We were on the trail Friday night looking for likely hiding spots and I measured the mileage and the side trail was in the literal middle of the main trail at 2.5 miles (5-mile distance from gate to gate). I thought to myself, well, this is the middle and it makes sense that it should be here because otherwise why start on both ends? But there was no obvious place to hide it and I didn't think they would put it down a trail (I Chose Poorly [Part C]).

Random asides: The first two people there were bike messengers from Portland. They were strong but that hill...wow. I don't know what the grade was but you're starting from a dead stop and then immediately climb and on top of that there was a storm coming in from the West so the wind was blowing pretty hard right at you. A tough start.

The guy in the picture with the Portland jersey was on his bike and holding on to the gate, rocking himself back and forth like he was going to spring out of the...well...the gate (no pun intended). My wife pointed him out of the picture as being the guy who sounded like he was losing a lung he was coughing so hard.

One good thing about this bike hunt was it was actually a hunt. It wasn't just on the side of the road or behind a rock, it took some searching. That was refreshing. Also, I'm glad he won the bike, for all that I just said. He was riding an older bike that looked pretty beat up so he's definitely going to enjoy the new one. That first fall/scratch is going to be a bitch though.

Guess who I saw Friday night? The same person I saw riding the Painted Hills bike and his sister-in-law, the one who actually found it. Thought that was weird since the rules state you can only find one bike. But then I saw them again the next morning in the crowd behind me. Luckily they didn't find this one but I heard them talking about going out to look for the Crater Lake bike. Talk about poor sportsmanship. You already found one, do you have to be that greedy? (personal rant that involved some doxxing was here.) I spoke with the Ride Oregon organizer and he said that he recognized them as well. (Kind of hard to miss when you have a 6+ foot-tall white guy with a very large afro as part of your party.) The rep said that he didn't know what they would have done if they had won, but I think he should have just singled them out at the beginning - because he saw them waiting, just like I did - and told them to go home.

When we got to the part of the trail where East side met West side, there was a big turf war that broke out. Ha. But seriously, my wife had the best metaphor: it was like when hunting dogs lose the scent and they start circling around. There were people doing just that, circling like "what do we do now?" Looking back now, it's pretty funny.

I can sit here and say what I should have done, but after not sleeping Saturday night I know that I shouldn't. I'm sure writing this down will help, it did last time, but I keep thinking randomly "two minutes. Just two minutes faster." Two minutes faster would have put me in front of him and possibly down that trail. Wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which one gets filled first.

So yeah, I was out looking for the bike. I cannot put into words how dismayed (that's not even the right word, but I don't have a very strong thesaurus for emotions) I was when I saw who found it. I watched him turn right in front of me to go down that trail. I could have turned right as well and maybe taken a zig when he zagged and then it would be a different story. It's just like last time: I had the opportunity and missed it. All I can do now is wait two and a half weeks for the Crater Lake bike. That one's going to be hard, because the rim drive is steep and long. The only way to find that bike is going to be if you start looking at the right time in the right place.

sarcoa

Hey gaf, I'm still sort of new at cycling. My tire went flat the other day. The innertube was pinched, which isn't an issue as I've changed a few of those before.

My problem is my tire appears to have a tiny slash in it, and research has presented conflicting information. It's a road bike with (recommended) 120psi tires, which some claim you should change no matter the size of the hole. Other sources state that unless like tear is over 3mm to not worry about it.

Would you replace this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

thomaser

Would you replace this?

Probably not. I recently rode for a week on bad roads in Italy with a bigger gash than that in one of the tires. There was a retired pro in our group, and he just shrugged his shoulders at it and didn't think it was anything to worry about.

sarcoa

Probably not. I recently rode for a week on bad roads in Italy with a bigger gash than that in one of the tires. There was a retired pro in our group, and he just shrugged his shoulders at it and didn't think it was anything to worry about.
i wouldn't worry about it
Thanks for the feedback. I put a new tube in and took a 16 mile ride today on the old tire. Worked out fine.
Lincoln is clearly visible, so it's perfectly useful as a tread depth gauge, and it's clean enough to look classy flipping in the air. Seems fine.
I actually spent around ten minutes trying to find a coin for that picture.

I'm looking to get a bike that I can use to commute on with racks and also to ride on for races and such. I keep hearing about the Genesis Croix de Fer but they don't have any American distribution. All City was is also a name that I've heard tossed around. Do you have any recommendations?

teepo

all-city uses fairly good quality steel from what i've seen so it would make a great commuter/touring bike and a decent enough race bike.

LeBoef

survived the ring :D thought i ll freeze to the death in the night.

sadly they had to cut the 24h race down to 17h, as the weather was showing itself from the worst side. (as always in the eifel)

i ll be there next year again, hoping to do the whole 24h.

03_Rad_am_Ring.jpg

ngower

So I ended up ordering a Cross Check which should be here by Friday, after test-riding a Straggler in 56cm. I picked up the 56cm Cross Check, but looking online it seems like maybe I went too small for myself? I'm 6'3" and lots of folks seem like they opt for 60-62cm at this height. The ride felt fine, but I also haven't ridden in almost a year and I'm not an expect to begin with, so I'm just going on basic feel. I can still exchange the bike if it doesn't fit, so I'm not worried, but am I wrong to be riding a 56?

[EDIT] Looking at the sizing chart, it looks like it's only about 3/4" longer on the seat tube and just under 1/2" on the toptube, and a nominal difference in standover heights. So I think I'll be okay with the 56, assuming the feel was right.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check/geometry

On that note, I'm actually kinda disappointed in this shop. They don't do free sizings or anything—jus their $100 fitting—which when you consider i'm dropping $1k on a bike, that's kind of ridiculous. My local shop (which doesn't carry anything but Trek, Specialized and Canondale) are much better in that regard, but of course, limited in supply. Gah, bike shopping is hard.

[EDIT] THE PLOT THICKENS! Apparently my old bike was a 58cm, so that does seem to be closer to my size. Gonna give the shop a call and hopefully they can order the 58 instead. Thank you, Bike Gaf, for entertaining my brain-spill.

LeBoef

yeah correct, nordschleife 24 hours (event is called "rad am ring")
did it solo... had almost 300km and +5000 meter ascent at the end of the race.

t-ramp

So I ended up ordering a Cross Check which should be here by Friday, after test-riding a Straggler in 56cm. I picked up the 56cm Cross Check, but looking online it seems like maybe I went too small for myself? I'm 6'3" and lots of folks seem like they opt for 60-62cm at this height. The ride felt fine, but I also haven't ridden in almost a year and I'm not an expect to begin with, so I'm just going on basic feel. I can still exchange the bike if it doesn't fit, so I'm not worried, but am I wrong to be riding a 56?

[EDIT] Looking at the sizing chart, it looks like it's only about 3/4" longer on the seat tube and just under 1/2" on the toptube, and a nominal difference in standover heights. So I think I'll be okay with the 56, assuming the feel was right.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check/geometry

On that note, I'm actually kinda disappointed in this shop. They don't do free sizings or anything—jus their $100 fitting—which when you consider i'm dropping $1k on a bike, that's kind of ridiculous. My local shop (which doesn't carry anything but Trek, Specialized and Canondale) are much better in that regard, but of course, limited in supply. Gah, bike shopping is hard.

[EDIT] THE PLOT THICKENS! Apparently my old bike was a 58cm, so that does seem to be closer to my size. Gonna give the shop a call and hopefully they can order the 58 instead. Thank you, Bike Gaf, for entertaining my brain-spill.
I'm about 6'1" with a 58cm road bike, so 56cm did seem a bit small since you're even taller. Then again, my Trek is designed a bit differently than the Cross Check, so who knows.

Which color did you order?

ngower

I'm about 6'1" with a 58cm road bike, so 56cm did seem a bit small since you're even taller. Then again, my Trek is designed a bit differently than the Cross Check, so who knows.

Which color did you order?

I got the black because bright orange seems to scream "STEAL ME!"

I called them this morning and they ordered a 58cm, which I do think will be fine. I looked back through old Craigslist ads and my Bianchi I sold way back when was a 58 and fit well, though I don't know how the geometry compares. I think 58 will be fine as most of my height is due to my legs (I'm like a male Stacy Kiebler). I'm going to fight for some sort of basic fitting at the LBS just to make sure everything's right, but I do think this will turn out for the best.

Also, I'm 6'2" on my license, 6'3" when I'm actually using good posture and being measured at the doctor's office. So I think the 58 will be fine.

Karakand

I've never been impressed with LBS service, especially since so much of the hobby is luxury goods.

E: I'm 6'1 and change and prefer my 58 to my 60 but the former is a compact frame.

ngower

I've never been impressed with LBS service, especially since so much of the hobby is luxury goods.

E: I'm 6'1 and change and prefer my 58 to my 60 but the former is a compact frame.

My actual LBS (the shop like ten minutes drive) gives you a free pre- and post-purchase fitting with some ridiculous machine, and also gives you a free basic "tuneup" within the first year of purchase. They also organize all sorts of group rides and races and all that jazz. But they're not located in a big city like the shop I ended up going to (nearest Surly dealer), and this shop does way more business so likely doesn't need to go the extra mile. It's disappointing, but I definitely know next time to just go to my local shop.

Sky Chief

Can I join your biking gang?

I just moved to the Monterey Peninsula four months ago. Always liked staying active and working out but moving to paradise got me a lot more interested in outdoor activities.

A few weeks ago I rented a bike and went mountain biking in Nicene Marks near Santa Cruz with some friends. It was totally grueling but really fun even if I was sore for a week afterwards and my friends were much faster than me.

Then last week my sister and her husband visited and we rented bikes and rode from Monterey and did 17 Mile Drive to Pebble Beach. That was even more amazing.

So I went to the local bike store yesterday to check out some bikes. I was thinking of a hybrid because i was mainly wanting to use the bike for commuting and riding on the great paved bike paths they have around here. The people at the store were super cool and when I mentioned that I still had my old cheap mountain bike in storage they recommended that instead of buying a new bike I should bring it in. I took it in today fully expecting that they would say it was shit but the guy said that it was actually in pretty good shape and decent quality even though one of the tires was shot and he recommended I just throw some tires more suitable for paved streets on it and lube some of the parts and then when I get more into it come back and check out new bikes when I know better what kind of bike I want and that way I'll always have a spare for visitors as well.

So I'm pretty excited to be getting into this. As a relative beginner is there anything I should know? I've already been reading up on all the local bike laws and stuff, seems pretty straightforward and I'm glad to be in a part of the world where biking is encouraged, there are a lot of paved biking paths, and drivers are more aware of bikers. I was also thinking about using my cell phone (Nexus 6) for GPS when commuting and to track my workouts. Is this a decent solution? What is the best way to mount my phone? FYI I am a phone enthusiast and typically change phones a couple times a year so something that is not purpose built for a particular model is preferable. What are the best apps? Thanks!

ngower

To tag onto the above post(s): does anyone have a good recommendation for a bike GPS that balances between affordable and feature-rich? Obviously I can go the cheapest route and get basic feature set, or go the most expensive and get all the bells and whistles, but I'm looking for that sweet spot right in the middle.

Additionally, does anyone have recs on really good sunglasses that block as much sunlight as possible while not making everything pitch black (or orange, or blue)? I have really bad light sensitivity which makes driving/walking/doing anything outside kind of a challenge. I want to spent a lot of time on my bike, which means a lot of time in the sun, but I also don't want to die because I can't see a car coming at me. Just curious what some of you use in that regard?

What type of riding are you doing? If it's offroad I'd happily recommend the Dakota or the eTrex (Garmin) for most of your needs.

On road I'd stick to the Edge series (the new smaller one looks reasonably good value).

Sky Chief

I need to start looking into a trail full suspension. I'm pushing a bit too hard for my old hardtail now. Starting to get smashed to pieces in rocky sections.

Karakand

I think I'm in love with the Engrish on Commencal's U.S. website. It's like someone ran babelfish but knew it was off and tried to give it some TLC but in reality just made it sillier.

I don't even leave civilization that often (mainly Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I'm probably going to end up with one of their bikes if I don't knock this off.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So, out of pure lust and dreaming about a bike to replace my current one.....what are some good brands of road/hybrid bikes under $500?

I'm an über noob, but the Fuji Declaration has caught my eye. Not sure if I could get used to a single speed, but I do almost exclusively use 6th on my current Fuji.

Top Bottom