• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

thomaser

Obviously the solution is to carry half a baguette in your jersey middle pocket.

Alternatively, a whole Parisian loaf. That way, you and a buddy, riding next to each other, can eat at the same time from each end of the loaf, while cycling, thus saving precious moments of time. Also, when both ends are eaten, the middle part will fall down, leaving a formidable obstacle that might slow down riders coming up from behind.

I carry a timer, set to repeat every half an hour. Every half an hour I make sure I have a gel / shot blocks and a decent amount of water. It's never failed to serve me well. Easy to grab a pack of shot blocks from my waist pockets on my camelbak / in my shorts.

I don't stop at feed stops. On the subject I don't stop anywhere unless I absolutely have to. Better to recover on the move than stop and stiffen up.

Took my new bike build for it's maiden voyage today. Everything is feeling pretty good except the handle bars are too wide for me. I need to get a more narrow bar and that should help a lot.

Twin Six Standard Rando steel frame
SRAM Crank
Shimano 105 shifters
SRAM X9 hub
Stans Not Tubes Grail wheels

UDlkYlM.jpg

Gray Matter

Took my new bike build for it's maiden voyage today. Everything is feeling pretty good except the handle bars are too wide for me. I need to get a more narrow bar and that should help a lot.

Twin Six Standard Rando steel frame
SRAM Crank
Shimano 105 shifters
SRAM X9 hub
Stans Not Tubes Grail wheels

UDlkYlM.jpg

That is one beautiful bike.

I get jelous everytime I see a road bike now. I desperately need and want one but they're so expensive.

That is one beautiful bike.

I get jelous everytime I see a road bike now. I desperately need and want one but they're so expensive.

Ha, thanks

What's awesome about this frame is it can work in any set up. I worked with my shop to build it to be in between a road and cross bike. The fork and rear wishbone can accommodate tires into the 30s. So if I wanted, and I probably will, I could buy a second wheel set just for knobby tires and swap them into this frame. The rims are also tubeless ready which was another planned idea we came up with. The wider wheel made a huge difference on the gravel over my standard road bike.

t-ramp

Picked up an older (2002?) Surly Cross Check with a thoroughly stuck aluminum seatpost last week... I am probably going to just try to cut it out this week. The bike itself was built up from the frame (it's red) by the guy I got it from, and the parts (105 shifters and front derailleur, Dura-Ace rear) seem to work fine despite being a bit worse for wear cosmetically.

Welp, looks like I'm entering another race in three weeks' time. The route shouldn't be quite as physically demanding this time, but still a lot of hills.

Any tips on training and preparation? I already know I'm going to practice hard climbs this week.

This time the race location is close enough to visit without planning, so I might just drag a friend there for a loop.

But yes, hills. Gotta get used to them. Also looking at that pdf, I think I overdid it on the event week riding last time. That's not a lot of riding at all.

Well that's a problem too. Getting nutrition while cycling is one of the hardest parts for me in a race, since it takes away the use of a hand. Only managed to fit in half a nut bar and one pack of gel today, plus I had a hydration pack with water and a spoon of energy drink powder. If you use full gloves, switching to fingerless gloves makes it much easier to take out things from your pockets and open them.

still the hardest part for me. i love eating too, but eating and drinking on the bike just seems to escape me for some reason.

I carry a timer, set to repeat every half an hour. Every half an hour I make sure I have a gel / shot blocks and a decent amount of water. It's never failed to serve me well. Easy to grab a pack of shot blocks from my waist pockets on my camelbak / in my shorts.

I don't stop at feed stops. On the subject I don't stop anywhere unless I absolutely have to. Better to recover on the move than stop and stiffen up.

yeah, i've started implementing timers too. water every 5 minutes (over 100F here now) and food every 45. and no stopping unless i can't get something open because i've forgotten to tear away tops of gels and food already...

but i'm still pretty bad. i've actually started incorporating rides with the sole point of eating/drinking at regular intervals so as to become habit. it shouldn't be so damn hard but it is.

This is pretty shit: https://thelonelycyclist.wordpress.com/2015/08/16/skinny-cyclist-not-likely/

If you feel that way about people overweight cycling... that's your problem, but keep it to yourself. People are fucking unbelievable.

saw that too, awful. i don't care your fitness level, as long as youre out there on the bike then you're doing something right. and ironically, watching someone who may be overweight or lacking fitness struggle up a hill or fight to the finish just gives me some extra motivation too.

Another thing I'm thinking is I should run a bit, especially uphill. Just to get my legs used to moving that way too, because having to push or carry the bike during a race is a 100% certainty. Right now my calves hurt more than my thighs.

I just know that in my current shape I will run out of pedaling steam at some point if the hills are big and/or technical enough. For context I still weigh 107kg at 187cm. That's an extra 15kg backpack compared to my army days.

Another thing I'm thinking is I should run a bit, especially uphill. Just to get my legs used to moving that way too, because having to push or carry the bike during a race is a 100% certainty. Right now my calves hurt more than my thighs.

Just do hill repeats. If you can find a hill that takes 4-6 minutes that's ideal, but if not just increase the reps. It's the only way to really get better on hills short of weight loss.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is pretty shit: https://thelonelycyclist.wordpress.com/2015/08/16/skinny-cyclist-not-likely/

If you feel that way about people overweight cycling... that's your problem, but keep it to yourself. People are fucking unbelievable.

I have frequent run ins with elitist cyclists, usually road bikes. Always super expensive and in team colors. Often still sporting LiveStrong gear. I seem to ride too slow for their comfort but too fast for them to easily overtake and the attitude seems to be that their expense entitles them to more trail privileges. So they'll mutter whispered invective as they crawl by. I won't let bullshit slide though and will chase them to ask "WTF did you just say?!"

Fuckin crickets every time.

One day I will get killed but until then it's worth it to see the fleeting terror and "oops I bit off more than I can chew" looks.

thomaser

I've never had bad encounters with other cyclists, thankfully. That would take a lot of fun out of riding.

Bought a Camelbak Volt today in preparation for next week's Birkebeiner ride. Also got two Maxxis Crossmark tires (all the shops here are sold out of Race Kings). Put one of them in the back to replace a Race King that has punctured thrice in a week. Would a Crossmark in the back and a Mountain King in front be a good match for a 92 km race on fairly good gravel and almost no technical terrain? Or should I use both Crossmark tires?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've never had bad encounters with other cyclists, thankfully. That would take a lot of fun out of riding.

Bought a Camelbak Volt today in preparation for next week's Birkebeiner ride. Also got two Maxxis Crossmark tires (all the shops here are sold out of Race Kings). Put one of them in the back to replace a Race King that has punctured thrice in a week. Would a Crossmark in the back and a Mountain King in front be a good match for a 92 km race on fairly good gravel and almost no technical terrain? Or should I use both Crossmark tires?

It's a numbers game. This trail is very busy so I might encounter a hundred or more people both ways. If a couple of those are assholes then it's still a lot better than an average stretch of freeway. The vast majority are pleasant. However it is ALWAYS road bikes and always expensive ones. There's probably a logical explanation but it seems to be entitlement. I've noticed the same phenomenon with certain kinds of expensive cars.

teepo

i've only encountered two legit assholes since having moved back to DC two years ago. this is a TINY city with a LARGE cycling community and we have one of the highest concentration of sociopaths and type-a personalities per square mile in not the just U.S. but the world.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Bonk'd pretty hard today, was a full 15 minutes slower on my regular 19km, also my average speed was 5km/h lower than normal...ugh.

I tried some proper race tyres on my hardtail: Conti Race King rear, X-King front, both of the thin & floppy Racesport kind (thank you convoluted discount schemes of the XXL chain).

It's weird, they feel slow but the clock says different.

it took me two weeks and repeated pleas for help both here and at the LBS before i felt comfortable enough to take spd pedals/cleats out on the road. as of now, they're good but yeah, i feel your pain.

I've ridden on them three times and I'm making small tweaks. I'm so used to the wide platform and float on Look systems. Worst part of this? I just had a second pair (Giro Republic) show up so I get to keep tweaking and tweaking.

Damn, it looks like the republics wont work with the A600 platform. The bolt bed is too deep and the rubber soles are not letting the cleat properly engage.

gotoadgo

So I've recently purchased a giant city cross and am using it as a commuter to work, as well as general fitness when I can. Figured there'd be a GAF a thread for cycling. I've put my request in to join the Strava club, my name is Garrett Frost.
Hopefully I can learn a thing or two in here!

senahorse

So we got sick of swapping our bikes on the Kick'r and decided to buy a dedicated training bike, check out this beauty (sorry blurry pic)

Ns6-gRndnN7Ey2qexMPYEqwrMigL2k_evXD_eJ5_J0Q=w999-h562-no

It's a Reid Osprey, with carbon forks, Shimano everything (lower end but still), cable routing through the frame. It's a really sweet ride for the money, kind of seems a waste to be stuck on the trainer.

The best part it was only $399 delivered in the box to our front door, keep in mind this is Australia and everything is expensive here, I am astounded at the quality for the money. :)

I did the same thing. Was originally supposed to be a trainer bike / the missus's bike, but she never rides so it's now purely the trainer bike.

Edit - Just noticed that for the first time ever I was top for climbing on the GAF Strava leaderboard. Come on roadies, you can't let a mountain biker beat you on climbing. :p

Stryder

I did the same thing. Was originally supposed to be a trainer bike / the missus's bike, but she never rides so it's now purely the trainer bike.

Edit - Just noticed that for the first time ever I was top for climbing on the GAF Strava leaderboard. Come on roadies, you can't let a mountain biker beat you on climbing. :p
.. and now you've just prompted to to request to join the club..

Mascot

Whoa, I've been trying Psychotext's tip of never stopping. It actually works!

Yep, my normal blast to, from and through the woods lasts around three hours at full pelt and I'll only stop if I need a wazz
or if I spot a suitable leanage/hangage opp, naturally.

I live in a relatively flat area, not my fault.

Had to take the week off but even then I don't get much climbing around here, it's pretty flat. Too bad I didn't have the Garmin when I was out in the Painted Hills, I was up and down two sub-4,000-foot hills that day.

Though I've still got that Mt. St. Helens ride coming up.

A big tree went down on one of my favorite local trail. It was quite the surprise when I came bombing down the trail, banking a corner and found the top of a tree sitting on the trail! After I made it through the branches, I took this photo with the appropriate amount of leanage.

c7S84BSh.jpg

Mascot

A big tree went down on one of my favorite local trail. It was quite the surprise when I came bombing down the trail, banking a corner and found the top of a tree sitting on the trail! After I made it through the branches, I took this photo with the appropriate amount of leanage.

c7S84BSh.jpg

Ha ha..! Yeah, I get caught out every few weeks by fallen trees on my local trails.

Why didn't you bunny-hop it..?

Top Bottom