• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

HTupolev

Took off for a half-century road ride today, but the America was dirty and the Emonda was too fenderless for the mucky surfaces from the recent rain, so I hopped on my hardtail. At the halfway point I saw a group of roadies gathering in front of an LBS and decided to say high.

You know who was there? Santa. His bike's handlebars were even dressed up as these plushy-looking antler things. They asked me if I wanted to join in for a 25-mile ride, and I figured why not.

There was an unprecedented degree of active cheeriness among road users. At one point we were on a narrow winding road holding back like seven cars for several minutes, and when they finally passed us they were all waving and enjoying the HO HO HO (this guy was seriously getting into it).

The lesson is, uh, always ride in a group with Santa. Or something.

JPKellams

Took off for a half-century road ride today, but the America was dirty and the Emonda was too fenderless for the mucky surfaces from the recent rain, so I hopped on my hardtail. At the halfway point I saw a group of roadies gathering in front of an LBS and decided to say high.

You know who was there? Santa. His bike's handlebars were even dressed up as these plushy-looking antler things. They asked me if I wanted to join in for a 25-mile ride, and I figured why not.

There was an unprecedented degree of active cheeriness among road users. At one point we were on a narrow winding road holding back like seven cars for several minutes, and when they finally passed us they were all waving and enjoying the HO HO HO (this guy was seriously getting into it).

The lesson is, uh, always ride in a group with Santa. Or something.

Did Santa wheel suck like you guys were all his reindeer? :)

HTupolev

Did Santa wheel suck like you guys were all his reindeer? :)
Nah, but he wasn't pulling in particular. I don't think his suit is very aero; he's probably considered a fred in the sleighing community, compensating with a huge fairing or something to allow for such high-speed travel on Christmas.

My lack of buddy flaps meant that nobody was wheel sucking me, though!

Actually, the most aggressive wheel sucking that occurred that day was probably by me. I wasn't sure how fast these guys were, and they started slow, so I aimed a bit ambitious. Went after a 3-person breakaway. I wasn't recording the ride, but based on the gearing and tempo I was trying to maintain, I wouldn't be surprised if they were going at least 20mph. I tried to hang in for a bit, but even if I wasn't putting in far more miles that day than the roadies, I don't think I would have survived very long.
...The Santa group didn't look terribly surprised when I shamefully rolled back to them.

Of course, I like to tell myself that the roar of knobby tires on their tail was pressuring the faster group into working especially hard. :)

I know I can't compete with you filthy roadies on pure numbers, but it was a pretty good year:

indexghpqe.png

I have a two hour turbo trainer session standing in the way of relaxing for Christmas. I don't wanna. :(

Given the warmer than normal weather here I've been opting for time crunched plans on Trainer Road and supplementing the rest with 2ish hour rides on the weekend.. 30 minutes tops and it's just intense for the entire time.

Was bloody freezing in my garage. Had to turn the heater on, but I also had to have the fan on. Very confusing.

Still, done now, woohoo... Christmas!

thomaser

Got a Park Tool mechanic stand for Christmas, woo! Now my garage is all set up, finally. Gonna learn how to fix gears and things myself, which I haven't really done before because it's been such a pain to do it without a stand. And this should also make cleaning the bikes a lot easier.

PCS-9_004.jpg

Got a Park Tool mechanic stand for Christmas, woo! Now my garage is all set up, finally. Gonna learn how to fix gears and things myself, which I haven't really done before because it's been such a pain to do it without a stand. And this should also make cleaning the bikes a lot easier.

PCS-9_004.jpg
Awesome! I think my repair stand was what encouraged me to part together and build an MTB. I learned a lot, but my wallet was not as happy. It definitely upped my repair game. I still suck at tuning gears though and let shops handle that.

teepo

front derailleurs are a bitch, especially SRAMs

i still take mine to a shop during the beginning of the season to get everything finely adjusted and just try to maintain it myself throughout the year. i'm not the best but i get the job done and part of that was spending one winter taking apart my bike and putting it back together as a learning experience. it was frustrating as hell but i learned alot

HTupolev

So now that I'm cycling, the relatives are getting me cycling things.

The main point of attention: lights. Why stop at a headlight and a taillight? I now have a second (and beefier) headlight, valve-mounted wheel lights, and even a strand of LEDs to properly turn my bicycle into a christmas tree.

Sorry Trek/Bontrager, looks like I'll be part-time jersey billboarding for the Huskies.

And since I didn't have a horn, someone got me a green dinosaur.

Wait, what?

:D

Socreges

Banned
Bicycle age...

Just got a $50 Amazon gift card. Gonna use it to buy some waterproof cycling pants (for commuting, not racing or anything). Preferably not tights, but that might be best. What do you guys recommend? Or use yourselves? What are the best brands?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'd look into something like stuff you'd find from Outlier or Topo. Not meant for riding, but general outdoor use and the material is stuff that can get wet, but not get soggy like denim or cotton. Now finding a good, quality pair on Amazon might be tough.

It does seem like Pearl Izumi, which is sold on Amazon, has a non-tight pant that could work. http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=47&product_id=2520937&outlet=&color_code=021

North Face has great overpants - I used a pair in iceland over jeans and stayed bone dry and never got too warm.

http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face-mens-mountain-light-pant

Do they sell Agu stuff on Amazon?

I bought some Agu Beak waterproof trousers from Planet X and they do the job based on two rides in light/pounding rain, they also feature shoe protection, well worth the £14.99.

Socreges

Banned
You guys are right. Overpants are the way to go. I've come across some decent looking ones online, but I think I'll just get some in store instead. Wouldn't want the hassle of ordering something that doesn't fit well

HTupolev

So, if it's been dry and sunny for several days straight, I should be able to take my fenderless road bike out without dirtying it up too badly or covering my legs with mud.
...Unless I'm riding into the mountains where it's snowed a bit recently, oops. In tons of spots the surface was splattered in a wet sandy gunk. My Emonda was pristine at sunrise, and now the drivetrain is delivering some rather unattractive audio.

Also, I flatted. On the first day of the year. -_-

It was otherwise a good ride, though, and the scenery wasn't bad.

20160101_115617__zpsumqjzluj.jpg

20160101_121852__zpswynkfsbw.jpg

Happy new year everybody!

I just got back from a very nice trip in the Tatacoa Desert (Colombia, South America) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatacoa_Desert). I had a great time :D, even though I got a flat tire (twice!) while biking and had to fix the tire while in the baking sun; I didn't have a spare with me but had my trusty patch kit. I was lucky enough to make it to an oasis and made a small dam with rocks so I could use the reservoir to find the holes in the tube since there were so many (I actually spent most of my patches that day). I knew that the damn cacti spines would likely mess up my tires, but I figured if I was careful I'd make it out intact. I didn't, but still managed to make it out alive. Picture time!

HTupolev

Woohoo old itsy-bitsy entry-level Diamondback hardtail!

apB1vc8.jpg

My parents got it for me when I was much smaller, and I've finally gotten around to making it stop taking up space in their shed, heh.

For an old cheap bike it's actually not so horrible. 32 pounds, the front shifting works fine, the rear indexing seems to still be intact, tires and tubes are in great shape, drivetrain is light and snappy. The fork is about the only thing that immediately sticks out as of dubious quality, with soft springs and meh travel. Definitely needs some tuning up, too.

I think I'll use this as an excuse to buy up some more bike maintenance equipment... :D

I guess this is N=4, although I figure I'll find a new home for this one when I'm done messing with it, since it definitely doesn't fit me. I'm a little scared that I'll fill the gap with an N+1 when it's gone, and try to convince myself that I'm just balancing back to N=4. Or, worse, I'll kick off a bicycle flipping hobby. D:

(And yes, the purple fruit snacks box is there because the bike has a kickstand. Feels weird to kick a kickstand after all these years.)

Picture time!
Gorgeous! But judging by those images, I'd guess that it's the lasers from the fiery ball in the sky that flatted your tires, not the cacti!

Roc

Neo Member
Damn, those pictures are awesome. I'm jealous. Sometime I'll have to find a cool place to go biking around the desert in my state. Luckily, my desert doesn't have any cacti, lol.

Gorgeous! But judging by those images, I'd guess that it's the lasers from the fiery ball in the sky that flatted your tires, not the cacti!
:p I'm secretly JJ Abrams' director of photography.
Wow @FunkyPajamas. Also, tubeless or GTFO. :p
;_; to be honest I've thought about tubeless but I've heard/read that it's a pain if anything ever goes wrong with the tire (changing a tube is supposed to be easier than fixing a tubeless). Should I really make the switch? Are they lighter/easier to fix now?

I'm struggling to work out why anyone would have a problem with it. If you get a hole so serious that the tubeless doesn't work, then you stick a rubber noodle thing in it... it's trivial. I've only ever had that happen on shitty cross country tyres though.

I love being able to run much lower pressures. It's a no brainer in my opinon (assuming you've got good rims anyway).

Sorry, I'm a complete n00b in the subject, so I'm just asking about what I've read/heard.

Some people at a bike store (I was buying a couple of spare tubes after my ordeal) mentioned some fluid/sealant that would leak if the tire is punctured, and then I read that changing one requires having a backup tube and I would probably need a better air pump than my mini. I'm all for making my adventures more fun though, so I'll definitely look into it. Any specific brand you recommend? I have Bontrager AT650 rims, and I'm guessing I'll have to change those too.

edit: reading a bit more about it. I liked this link, seemed like a good place to start -> http://mtb4her.com/the-most-important-upgrade-you-should-do/

Anyway, I'll keep looking into it and might make the switch this year, see how it goes. Thanks!

To get them to mount at home you'll need a track pump, an air compressor, a CO2 pump or one of these: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...view-airshot-tubeless-tyre-inflator-15-49504/

Out on the trail you should never need to remount them unless something has gone horribly wrong. I'd wager you could still do it trail side with a CO2 pump though. You should carry spare tubes as an absolute last resort, but because they're an absolute last resort you can make them the lightest ones you can get your hands on.

You can use pretty much any rims with the ghetto tubeless method.

Edit - Ha, most of that in that link. Short version... the real key to good tubeless is good tyres (for the purposes of sealing, and for their ability to handle cuts from rocks etc).

Mascot

I love being able to run much lower pressures.

I've been mountain biking for almost 30 years and I've never subscribed to the philosophy about running low tyre pressures in anything but quagmire conditions. I understand the thinking behind a larger contact patch, absorbing uneven terrain, better traction, improved comfort etc but in reality I personally find that lower pressures lead to sloppy handling (especially with the rear washing out during cornering) and I also don't like the feeling that my rims are getting dented every time I go over a rock. I feel a lot happier and more secure running tyres that squeeze like a ripe avocado rather than a rotten tomato.

Doesn't really help so much with grip though. I guess it comes down to the sort of trails you ride mostly, but on the more rocky trails I definitely find myself decreasing pressures significantly before I'm happy with the handling.

Related, you should try CX. I think your bike handling preferences would suit it very well.

Mascot

Even hard-ish tyres deform like fuck over rocky terrain though. And don't forget the work suspension does. You must be constantly bashing your rims on the rocks, surely?

Seriously, grip has never been a problem.

Related, you should try CX. I think your bike handling preferences would suit it very well.

80+% of my riding is around Slade where we rode together a few months ago, and I have around 3.5 miles along cycle paths to get there (and same back) with around 20-25 miles spent on the trails. I really do find that firm pressures suit me just fine for the whole time I'm in the saddle. Even up and down Cwm Carn in torrential rain, same deal.

I've never had rim damage, though I've never taken my pressures lower than about 12psi. Decent sidewalls are part of it, but I also ride light, like you said... arms and legs articulate. ;)

I really don't think there's a technically correct answer. It should always be about what gives you most confidence, and I'll happily sacrifice a little rolling resistance for better trail compliance. That said, with the industry trending towards plus sized setups, I think we'll be seeing a lot more very soft tyres out there.

Wow... I was just looking back at some old cycling records of mine and I noticed that on one of the trails I'd kept a note of my weight at the time. It wasn't a particular good time / average speed, but I'm not surprised, because vs now I was carrying the equivalent of a fully kitted out downhill bike with me (on top of me and the bike I had).

21kg or 46lbs heavier (wasn't my heaviest either). It's sort of crazy looking back, especially because I was still very active at the time... just really, really fat. :D

HTupolev

1983 Miyata 710.

cBcb2M4.jpg

Spotted it on craigslist, had a few features (like downtube shifters and a fairly aggressive double crankset) that I wanted to try out for funsies. Quite affordable. Besides some paintwork on the bottom near the BB being shredded by a kickstand mount (time to buy some red nail polish, I guess), it's in astoundingly good condition and has some really neat paintwork (the gold trim around the lugs is awesome).

Gorgeous shifters:

pqU6k88.jpg

Bottle cage that matches the trim:

l61Skzb.jpg

A 30-year-old plastic headbadge that somehow looks amazing:

wQ3Zdsd.jpg

Sparkling clean 30-year-old derailleur:

(In my defense, the person who shoved a presta valve in there was the previous owner.)

iROrudF.jpg

So custom it's SUPER CUSTOM:

qRzlM2B.jpg

The old bar tape is holding up and uses twine instead of electrical tape:

6mpy2sk.jpg

robox

that's gorgeous

i've had ideas of my own to pick up something like that. but i didn't imagine there'd be something in such great condition stll out there

Top Bottom