• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I think this is my fourth base session (Actually, more than that I guess, I've done three entire training plans from start to finish). Don't ever recall getting to such high heart rates previously.

I can handle the workouts, but yeah, still not entirely sure if it's doing me as much good as it should be.

I did a Sweet Spot workout and found I was riding harder then I remember last year. I think first workout had 80% of FTP.

Yeah, looks fairly standard to me. Most of them basically running semi slicks so not a chance of actually gripping to slow down / get around that corner. Plus of course the obligatory "seatpost set to roadie height".

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent lights? The piece of shit Lezyne cunts I was using have died and I need replacements. Been back a bunch of pages and couldn't see anything!

I ride quite a lot through a park when it's dark so obviously there's basically no light at all, but there are a ton of deer running about like they don't give a shit - so yeah, I need something that's going to give me some decent visibility. Looking to spend something like £60-70 for a set but can go higher for something good. Any ideas?

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent lights? The piece of shit Lezyne cunts I was using have died and I need replacements. Been back a bunch of pages and couldn't see anything!

I ride quite a lot through a park when it's dark so obviously there's basically no light at all, but there are a ton of deer running about like they don't give a shit - so yeah, I need something that's going to give me some decent visibility. Looking to spend something like £60-70 for a set but can go higher for something good. Any ideas?

I like my Cygolite set up.If you're riding in the park you may want to look into battery pack ones as they'll likely offer higher visibility.

teepo

so HR it is for initial base phase. i guess its an individual choice on what constitutes an early base period, but i'll probably extend it a few weeks since going in to this base phase i knew my aerobic engine was kinda, uh, lacking. and the initial base training with power only confirmed it. time to fire up nextflix for next few weeks i guess...

btw, what smart trainer did you get? i'm salivating over the Kickr but also know there's some good alternatives, such as tacx's neo. these things, man. pricy!

right now i have an unoponed wahoo kickr -- the weather has been unusually nice for november in DC. i have read the dcrainmaker's review for the silent tacx trainer several times and while he does say it's too expensive, there is a part of me that is itching to return the wahoo kickr and fork over that extra $600 or so for the more silent trainer.

who am i kidding, i'll most likely be keeping kickr especially since i get it for a nice discount through active junky and a rei membership

JPKellams

right now i have an unoponed wahoo kickr -- the weather has been unusually nice for november in DC. i have read the dcrainmaker's review for the silent tacx trainer several times and while he does say it's too expensive, there is a part of me that is itching to return the wahoo kickr and fork over that extra $600 or so for the more silent trainer.

who am i kidding, i'll most likely be keeping kickr especially since i get it for a nice discount through active junky and a rei membership

I saw the promo video for that trainer, and I have to admit, the lust for it strong. :)

Speaking of which, is there a NeoGAF Strava club? If not, there totally should be.

Stick with the Kickr. I have not read a single bad thing from someone regarding this.

thomaser

I have disgraced bikegaf with my lack of ride last week. :(

15 days since my last outing (except two very short ones that don't count). But my cycling shoes are kaput, so that's a kind of excuse. No more excuses now, though - bought winter cycling shoes today!

It's like +10C and mostly dry here, that's ridiculous for the time of year. Great for riding though. Discovered a 45min trail combo starting from outside my house that combines most of the stuff I need to practice, great for a daily thing.

I wish that Vortex Smart was out when I was buying mine. I would have gone that route, for ERG, over the KK Road. Not that the KK Road is bad, but ERG mode sounds amazing for structured training with TR or Zwift.

I've spent literally days on Trainer Road with the KK. Automatic power changing is a neat feature in principal, but as long as you're able to change your gears to match the cadence you're trying to hit, it's not really an issue.

Today I broke the 3000 mile mark. Not sure if I'll chill for a bit or just keep riding outside until this weather gets to shit, but i just wanted 3000.

Unemployment gives you a lot free time apparently. By this time last year I was just riding inside every morning before work. Now, with great weather, I'm going out.

Nice. I'm hoping to get the odd one hour pootle in here and there when I move.

Also, I was joking that you did 3k miles in one day. :p

Man, it's been a rough two weeks: Work banned neogaf and Reddit. The thing is I can still read gaf, I just can't reply to anything as that's the part that was banned. Very odd.

Getting wet here in Portland lately but today is beautiful. Can't wait to ride home.

teepo

the weather in DC has been a near constant 70f degrees all week with today reaching the 80s but i've been stuck in bed dealing with a nasty cold of some sort :(

Managed to get out and shake off a few cobwebs. Just cycle paths rather than proper mountain biking, but I'll take it.

Weather was utterly awful though. I really need to get some glasses that work well in the wet.

Doesn't really work that well off road. Even with crud catchers you'll still get mud / grit in your face. I can do without glasses on the flats, but downhill... yeah, bad idea.

HTupolev

Doesn't really work that well off road. Even with crud catchers you'll still get mud / grit in your face. I can do without glasses on the flats, but downhill... yeah, bad idea.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQVZMNC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Roadies may find this interesting; tubulars vs clinchers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ovYHQ35-5o
I find it interesting that this dude expected 316 grams to make a significant difference on the hill. Even if literally all the wattage were going toward fighting gravity (i.e. if we totally ignore factors like aero), for a steady 70kg bike+rider system we're talking about ~1 second over five minutes. Realistically, the weight impact is probably down in the noise for tests like this.

Weight weenies.

teepo

i was just annoyed he used an aero frame for the climbing test but it most likely wouldn't have made much of a difference.

here is a pic of my bike being worked on after i went over a pothole causing a rear flat, misaligned derailleur, and some wonky cable issues.

im in middle.

lJMc9xB.jpg

thankfully the mechanic was able to fix it up enough so i could finish. as a thank you, i took it back to their store for a tuneup and some specific fixes due to incident.

anyway, the nice folks at trainer road have already two of my questions on their podcast. :lol good info all around. i think for my next question i'm gonna have to change my name so they don't get wise to me...

I'm so mad. I'm working on a commuter frankenbike with disc brakes and it turns out the damn frame is made for 130mm hubs and about 99.999% of all disc hubs are 135mm. So now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to get the one $90 hub that'll fit and hope nothing goes wrong or if I just save up and get a different frame.

It really ruined my day when that sunk in. Apparently in the mid and early aughts it was a thing? But now everyone's moves on to 135 spacing and you shouldn't force these things.

robox

in related news, did you guys hear about the new T47 bottom bracket standard aiming to replace PF30? standardssssssss

my next bike will have that, flat mount disc brakes and thru axles, at whichever width it ends up on when the dust settles in a year

in related news, did you guys hear about the new T47 bottom bracket standard aiming to replace PF30? standardssssssss
If they can get companies on to it, it's definitely a change for the better. I doubt Shimano will go for it though, which is a shame, because fuck pushfit.

Bikepacking trip yesterday / today in probably the worst weather I've ever cycled in. Torrential rain, ridiculous wind, and at one point, fog so bad that we couldn't see a bike length in front of us.

Still, good too get out of the house. lol

thomaser

Bikepacking trip yesterday / today in probably the worst weather I've ever cycled in. Torrential rain, ridiculous wind, and at one point, fog so bad that we couldn't see a bike length in front of us.

That can be pretty fun, though, if you have the clothes for it.

By the way, THAT feeling when you find a hidden, fun, really old mountain road just a couple of kilometers from where you live. I found one yesterday that I've ridden past many, many times without knowing it existed. The entrance was hidden behind a barn that was hidden behind a house. Fun downhill stretch that's more technical than the usual roads around here, or a potentially really tough climb. Great views from it, too.

It wasn't. Because of the poor visibility we couldn't really risk the descents, and there was a pretty treacherous river crossing to deal with too.

I said "fuck it" and I'm selling the frame. Saving up for a clearance salsa vaya 2015 frame, shouldn't take *too* long.

Anyone have any experience with travel agents on brakes? Apparently you need them to replace the noodle when you're using road shifters as brake levers and caliper brakes. What little research I've done seems to indicate that people are pretty split on them working vs not working.

JPKellams

Looking at buying a new buy and I am hugely on the fence on some options -

OPTION A: Canyon Ultimate with Sram Red eTap - waiting for these to finally be ready to order, but the move to a new factory in Germany has apparently made Canyon wait times and customer service an absolute nightmare. The Japan office is close by, so I can probably get reasonable support.

OPTION B: Venge Vias Frameset and then hold on to it for eTap groups to be released. Use my current wheels (Fulcrum Racing Speeds).

OPTION C: Venge Vias complete bike, but with Dura-Ace mechanical. Pluses here are getting a nice set of Roval wheels for the same price as tricking out the frame.

Thoughts friends? I ride Sram Red now and I love it. eTap looks amazing. Canyon is great cost performance, but I'm worried about their service. Also love my LBS. But that Venge though...

My only issue with eletronic shifters is if the battery dies or the thing malfunctions can you still shift? I would look into that and make sure you wont lose that ability. Last thing you want is to be 2-3 hours from home and stuck in a shit ratio.

Stryder

My only issue with eletronic shifters is if the battery dies or the thing malfunctions can you still shift? I would look into that and make sure you wont lose that ability. Last thing you want is to be 2-3 hours from home and stuck in a shit ratio.
At least with Campy EPS there is a specific 'get home' mode that you can put the rear derailleur into if you run out of battery. You just manually unhook the rear mech and almost force it into a higher gear.

You'd have to be really ignorant to do this though, my battery is still at 80%+ charge after a few months of use (maybe 1-2 a week). There is clear indication through an LED on the control interface when you need to give it a charge.

At least with Campy EPS there is a specific 'get home' mode that you can put the rear derailleur into if you run out of battery. You just manually unhook the rear mech and almost force it into a higher gear.

You'd have to be really ignorant to do this though, my battery is still at 80%+ charge after a few months of use (maybe 1-2 a week). There is clear indication through an LED on the control interface when you need to give it a charge.

What about if it's malfunctioning? One bike forum I read had a poster talking about their electronic shifter not working and they were stuck in a really high ratio for an entire race.

Trying to learn how to corner on a mountain bike after 3 years of refining road handling skills is tough. Hard to break the muscle memory of leaning your body with the bike.

You mean about leaning the bike underneath you whilst you stay more upright? (I don't really do road riding, I have no idea how they lean there)

Top Bottom