• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sure, but I'd still pick a CX bike over one of them for multi surface use any day of the week. You need reasonable skills to hit truly rough stuff, but I've seen them used for full on mountain bike trails.

I'm not refuting that, just the idea that hybrids are "usually garbage" - when in fact depending on the rider and type of usage, they can be incredibly adaptable and maybe more importantly, practical and comfortable bikes. I'd also argue they're the safest simple default for confused beginners while they figure out which end of the spectrum they want to end up on.

A beginner on a trail on a CX is eventually known as an in-patient.

And realistically, the geometry of a decent hybrid is going to be much more useful on serious dirt hills, with the right tires.

This is my baby, although I've made a few edits - better saddle for centuries, riser for the bars because I am shaped like a weird monkey/t-rex, half-sided SPD pedals, and new grips, endbars and a Garmin GPS.

lu5lV0w.jpg

I'd like to think that most people wouldn't be stupid enough to wander into proper trails without being ready for them. The bike you showed there would get you into serious trouble on UK red trails just as quickly as a CX would most likely... well, unless you were riding the CX in the drops down a rock garden. :D

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i have way too many friends who ride fixed gear bmx bikes with 29ers.

in my opinion, you should only buy a bmx bike because you want to ride on half-pipes and what not, the rest is supplementary.
Well i enjoyed going up hills and ramps and doing bunny hops. So yeah...

Im just looking for a super light bike that wont break the bank. Preferably with trick breaks.

teepo

I'm not refuting that, just the idea that hybrids are "usually garbage" - when in fact depending on the rider and type of usage, they can be incredibly adaptable and maybe more importantly, practical and comfortable bikes. I'd also argue they're the safest simple default for confused beginners while they figure out which end of the spectrum they want to end up on.

And realistically, the geometry of a decent hybrid is going to be much more useful on serious dirt hills, with the right tires.

This is my baby, although I've made a few edits - better saddle for centuries, riser for the bars because I am shaped like a weird monkey/t-rex, half-sided SPD pedals, and new grips, endbars and a Garmin GPS.

lu5lV0w.jpg

your bike looks more like a top-end commuter/fitness hybrid than the all so common budget comfort hybrid. nobody has a problem with the former, everybody has a problem with the latter.

your bike looks more like a top-end commuter/fitness hybrid than the all so common budget comfort hybrid. nobody has a problem with the former, everybody has a problem with the latter.

Was going to say the same thing. This looks more like a city/touring hybrid than a "hybrid". When I hear the word hybrid I think of these bikes

S10_SEARCHERCOMP_W_WHTBLU_2100.jpg

kottila

My experience is that beginners always wants to have a bike that can be ridden off road, but they never take it off the road once they've bought it.

sagan kicked ass today. Rode like the world champ he is

First technical trails today for quite some time and oh man, I'm really out of the groove. First descents were terrifying, and had to do a ton of dialling in on the suspension before I had any confidence.

Going to be a long road back to full form.

Looks more like the other guy had just blown himself to pieces... pedalling squares.

But, of course Sagan had to put him that position in the first place.

Edit - Ugh, my descent times were pretty damn bad today. However, I improved one of the climbs from 29:47 to 23:02. When I did it I actually reckoned it was going to be my second best time. lol

GAF I want a new bike. I haven't had one in years. (I've had a bike, just not a new one, and my foldy is gonna give up on me before long I think.)

So yeah, my current thing is a tern Joe from a few years back. It's basically a hybrid, folds in half, sturdy as hell. It was, anyway. I feel like a change, though, and I'd quite like a road bike. I'd use it mostly to commute 10-15 miles a day for work and then just for riding about. I want something light (I need to carry it upstairs), something that feels nice to ride - it'll be my first road bike so I want something that's gonna leave a good first impression, ya know?

Oh, and, budget.

I've got my eyes on this one and this one but I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what makes a good road bike so I'm not sure which is better or whether they're both shite.

Er, yeah, help?

Mascot

A friend of mine is a bit of a Cannondale nut (he already has a Super V) and just bought this 1998 carbon Raven 2000. Apparently it was kept in a museum from new but has had a full rebuild before being sold. Not sure what he paid but it's a sweet freaky beast, that's for sure. I think I'd have gone for something a little newer though (or at least something with disc brakes..!). MTB technology has moved on quite a bit in the last eighteen years.

DSC_0032_zpsc8bwmkrg.jpg

Mascot

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear what he paid, but even if it wasn't much you can probably get a more modern & better bike for the money.

There's no way I could go back to vee brakes. A mate is trying to sell me his GT LTS Carbon from 1996 for £300 but I'd probably just decable it, lose a crank, chop the bars down and mount it flush on my wall as a piece of art. I am tempted.

Edit: this mofo, but with triple clamps.

446246_8K4G88aEt3OIUE0KmQiVsYKys.jpg

I still remember doing a trail in the wet on rim brakes and realising that I had literally no chance of slowing down in one particular section. Was like "Welp, PR or death".

Mascot

I still remember doing a trail in the wet on rim brakes and realising that I had literally no chance of slowing down in one particular section. Was like "Welp, PR or death".

Yeah, it's surprising any of us survived the 1990s. I went off a small cliff near the bottom of the Avon Gorge back then because my wet pads wouldn't bite. Landed in a big comfy bush, fortunately. Still attached to my bike.

The guys I normally ride with do a lot of trail riding and keep wanting me to come out, but I only have my old ass Cannondale for trails. If those rims get even the slightest bit moisture it's just lost. I need to get a new mountain bike

While I'll never give up my discs, V brakes with good pads can still be good in the wet. My favorite are the salmon colored Kool Stop Eagle Claws. They can make a huge difference when coming from old, stock pads.

I was actually running those exact pads, didn't make f'all difference. lol

At the end of the day, there's only so much mud and water rim brakes can cope with.

There are so many variables on setting up v-brakes or cantileavers, rim surface and trueness etc, to try and get it right. But once a ton of much gets in there, braking is lost no matter what.

The best solution is always getting a new bike!

HTupolev

Bikes have become so expensive!
Well, they've gotten the capacity to be expensive. You can generally get a bike today that's as functional (in some respects more functional) as a bike you got in 1970 without killing your wallet worse than the 1970 bike did. The R&D efforts have become tremendous though, and high-end stuff is costlier than it used to be; but you also couldn't get a 12lb road bike with a 2x11 drivetrain in 1970, or a durable mountain bike that can roll with a vague semblance of smoothness over extraordinarily rough terrain.

skip

GAF I want a new bike. I haven't had one in years. (I've had a bike, just not a new one, and my foldy is gonna give up on me before long I think.)

So yeah, my current thing is a tern Joe from a few years back. It's basically a hybrid, folds in half, sturdy as hell. It was, anyway. I feel like a change, though, and I'd quite like a road bike. I'd use it mostly to commute 10-15 miles a day for work and then just for riding about. I want something light (I need to carry it upstairs), something that feels nice to ride - it'll be my first road bike so I want something that's gonna leave a good first impression, ya know?

Oh, and, budget.

I've got my eyes on this one and this one but I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what makes a good road bike so I'm not sure which is better or whether they're both shite.

Er, yeah, help?

I just went through the same process about a month ago. New to road bikes, etc. I tested out a Trek 1.2 and a Specialized Allez (regular, non-Sport).

I liked 'em both, but went with the Allez just because it felt a little better in that hard-to-quantify way. Best to go somewhere and test ride yourself!

teepo

I believe that everything on your bike should be as pure and beautiful as the ride and the bike itself. When I look at existing cycling computers, they look and behave like a piece of consumer electronics or a smartphone, and I don't want that on my handlebars. I want a modern speedometer and only looks like it belongs on a bike, but reflects the spirit and pleasure of why I ride on the first place. But without compromise

Quasar

So looking to replace an old ucomfortable seat on an old bike that has a old tube style post. Can you install modern seats on them, or do I need to replace the post with a modern one that has a bracket/rail on the top?

HTupolev

So... are the main levers detached from the brakes, or is there a clever system that I'm not seeing that gives you two brake levers? The classic approach to having brakes in the middle of the bars was to have the inner levers pivot off of the main brake levers, so they were all the same mechanism, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I legit dig that design, it's an elegant display with good battery life for anyone who doesn't need active navigation. But if you showed it to me and asked me to guess the price, I'd probably have said $100-$250. They're literally charging the price of a launch PS3.

So looking to replace an old ucomfortable seat on an old bike that has a old tube style post. Can you install modern seats on them, or do I need to replace the post with a modern one that has a bracket/rail on the top?
Saddles themselves typically just have two rails that seat posts grab on to. I'm not sure what you mean by "old", but I've replaced a saddle on a bike from 1983 without any problems before. As far as I know, the standards on saddle rails basically haven't been changing.

Quasar

Saddles themselves typically just have two rails that seat posts grab on to. I'm not sure what you mean by "old", but I've replaced a saddle on a bike from 1983 without any problems before. As far as I know, the standards on saddle rails basically haven't been changing.

I mean just a tube like these that you use a clamp to attach to.

Rather than like these more modern affairs: https://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/bike-parts/seat-posts-clamps/alloy-seat-posts.html

Top Bottom